Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My bedtime routine icon is refusing to go away up near my clock on my screen. On my phone and on my iPad. What in the world.

I even turned the routine off in Health and rebooted. Still there.

Turning it on and off on my phone did nothing. Turning it on and off and on and off on my iPad finally got it to gently caress off.

Get your poo poo together, Tim Apple

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Just go to sleep

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Grumbles posted:

Just go to sleep

N O

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Did a recent update break Silence unknown callers? For the last few weeks my phone has been blowing up with robocalls.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Not for me at least, I actually turned mine off to try more live voicemail because the att activearmor is pretty decent at knocking off a lot of calls but we also had a hailstorm recently and were getting hounded by roof guys so I turned it back on... I should look at turning it off again.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm back to caseless, the finewoven case is just so big, and honestly also slippery except for the edges.

I bought a screen protector and installed it, it's nice enough. Sure, it adds a tiny bump, but I don't notice it, it's certainly much smaller than the lip of the case. However its oleophobic coating is pretty bad, if there even is one. Maybe I'll end up taking it off again, but my old phone did end up having a number of (very fine) scratches.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Seems like the power-down issue is on PadOS too. I plugged my Air5 in last night to charge and this morning I was greeted with the PIN screen saying the iPad had rebooted. I checked the charge history and sure enough, at 1am, the iPad powered off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dogen posted:

My bullstrap arrives tomorrow and I’m excited to compare it to this nomad leather case that I’ve been pretty pleased with, but I think the bullstrap is gonna be better

I’ve been enjoying it. I’m an open bottom enjoyer :wink: and the leather just feels like more of an actual leather product than the nomad. I like having the leather surround over the rubber or whatever sides as well, although I will say the nomad case if you wanted some more tactile grip has indents on the sides that could make it easier to hold onto. I’d say the MagSafe strength of each is similar to me but I only have a charger not any other accessories

Also I got the bullstrap in bourbon and I like it better than the dark brown of the nomad (nomads natural finish didn’t look as good I thought) but that’s very personal preference ish.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Queer Grenadier posted:

For you case optional folks - screen down, or camera bump down?

I always go camera bump down because it’s stronger material and I prefer no scratches to my screen. I figure if the camera ever did get messed with, it’s more likely AC+ would replace it than a cosmetic scratch to screen.

Camera bump down (I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus). If the phone rings or an alarm goes off I want to see what's actually going on.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Aphrodite posted:

Did you see this in the comments?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255140879

Sounds like it helped at least a few people. Definitely a bug, but if the bugged feature can be disabled for now at least it can be worked around.

Haha this loving sucks

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Glimpse posted:

Did a recent update break Silence unknown callers? For the last few weeks my phone has been blowing up with robocalls.
I figure there's some semantic in the phone systems somewhere to tag a call as important? Early last year, I got a call from the ER of the local hospital at 3am for reasons, and it was an unknown number to the phone (not in contacts, nor was it in Recents), but it still got through. Maybe these robocallers managed to use or exploit it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I went to a techno show last night and some of my video do this really weird PiP thing but it’s not for the whole video. The larger image will sometimes flash green so it’s not clear to me if it’s a software or hardware issue with the 15P. It seems related to when I’m zooming NOT by tapping one of the preset buttons but possibly when I accidentally hit the record button which would stop recording and then slide my thumb up/down.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 13, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

I go screen down. This is my first time using a glass screen protector and today I noticed a hairline scratch across the entire phone, no clue from where.

Might be because protectors are weaker than apple glass but still, glad I started using these.

Nope turns out the entire protector cracked in half at some point in my pocket. Oh well, glad I got more.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Josh Lyman posted:

I went to a techno show last night and some of my video do this really weird PiP thing but it’s not for the whole video. The larger image will sometimes flash green so it’s not clear to me if it’s a software or hardware issue with the 15P. It seems related to when I’m zooming NOT by tapping one of the preset buttons but possibly when I accidentally hit the record button which would stop recording and then slide my thumb up/down.

I had the exact same thing happen under similar circumstances Wed night. Zoomed in with my fingers to get a photo of the lead guitarist shredding and that little PiP appeared. Was curious what it was for, but forgot about it right away cause I was focused on the show.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anyone else finding the “scroll to top” shortcut really hard to hit with the dynamic island + a phone case?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Anyone else finding the “scroll to top” shortcut really hard to hit with the dynamic island + a phone case?

I did, and then discovered that I can hit the time in the upper left, and that works well as a replacement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

vote_no posted:

I did, and then discovered that I can hit the time in the upper left, and that works well as a replacement.

dang how did I not find that. Thanks!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I had the exact same thing happen under similar circumstances Wed night. Zoomed in with my fingers to get a photo of the lead guitarist shredding and that little PiP appeared. Was curious what it was for, but forgot about it right away cause I was focused on the show.

when you are taking a picture/video with extreme zoom it does that to show where you're pointing at... i have never heard it happening on a played back video though... or are they saying when its happening when they're filming? if the latter that's what is suppose to happen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

when you are taking a picture/video with extreme zoom it does that to show where you're pointing at... i have never heard it happening on a played back video though... or are they saying when its happening when they're filming? if the latter that's what is suppose to happen.
I didn’t see it while filming, only on playback. Interestingly, when I tried to upload that clip to my IG story, the part that was PiP didn’t initially render on the IG timeline that allows you to trim clips.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Strong Sauce posted:

Oh, rad. Yeah I almost never extreme zoom so I never noticed it before. Just gave it a try, it's a little viewfinder. Gives context for the blur of pixels that now fills the screen. Cool.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Is there any way I can turn off asking permission to paste? I am going nuts

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Consummate Professional posted:

Go to Settings > [the app in question you want to paste into] > Paste From Other Apps > Allow.

This only appears after the first time you get asked for paste permissions for that app, but it must be set in Settings.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Good god that is bad. Thank you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Good god that is bad. Thank you.

Apple really, really wanted to make sure you couldn't just click through it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not at all. I hit top left corner.

I do have a problem with constantly hitting action + sleep when I want to take a screenshot though.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

There's a crazy reason they set it up this way, I first read out about it on Macrumors, check it out

www.nastyassvids.com/worstvidyoucanimagine/myccnumber

edit: to all my constituents I apologize. This behavior is not indicative of my values. When I know better, I do better. This is a distraction of the real issues at hand. I was hacked. I resign effective immediately.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 14, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Face up/down chat: doesn't matter, screen still scratches. I'm a face up type and I already have spiderwebs on my 15 max. My phone really doesn't live a tough life, any scratches it has would have come from my pocket.

Learn to live with it or use screen protectors girls and boys.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Chillmatic posted:

There's a crazy reason they set it up this way, I first read out about it on Macrumors, check it out

https://www.nastyassvids.com/worstvidyoucanimagine/myccnumber

edit: to all my constituents I apologize. This behavior is not indicative of my values. When I know better, I do better. This is a distraction of the real issues at hand. I was hacked. I resign effective immediately.

I mean don’t explain or anything.

Edit: oh now I see the URL. My laziness prevails again.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Something just changed with my iMessage notifications where it used to show the names in the notification but now it just says Notification. I haven't touched a thing and it suddenly does this.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Face up/down chat: doesn't matter, screen still scratches. I'm a face up type and I already have spiderwebs on my 15 max. My phone really doesn't live a tough life, any scratches it has would have come from my pocket.

Learn to live with it or use screen protectors girls and boys.

I think I read something once about how impact/shatter resistance and scratch resistance are at-odds when designing a glass panel. Gorilla Glass these days seems to focus more on not shattering (probably because screen protectors are a good solution for scratches and are easily replaced).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Hardness and toughness are at odds for every material, not just glass, but yes, you’re correct. I can’t speak to whether Corning is focusing specifically on shatter resistance but it’s possible that their “Ceramic Shield” line specifically trades off scratch resistance for shatter resistance, as you said. Materials science is hard (but not tough :v: )

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Glass screen protectors are so easy with the guides these days, and much more foolproof than the lovely plastic kind. You don't have anything to lose except :10bux: if you try one in my opinion.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I will say though that you’re a lot more likely to feel the edges of the protector with the latest iPhones because of the phone’s curved edges.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This is not meant to be snarky - a few times I’ve thought I had spiderweb scratches in my screen until I look a rubbing alcohol pad to the screen and they came off when regular wiping wasn’t cutting it. It sounds too obvious to be the answer but from experience it may actually be your solution.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I usually go without a screen protector but I'm trying one this time around to try and get more mileage out of the oleophobic coating

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This is not meant to be snarky - a few times I’ve thought I had spiderweb scratches in my screen until I look a rubbing alcohol pad to the screen and they came off when regular wiping wasn’t cutting it. It sounds too obvious to be the answer but from experience it may actually be your solution.

oof ouch your oleophobic coating

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Raymond T. Racing posted:

oof ouch your oleophobic coating

Not convinced it even stays on beyond a few weeks anyway

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I got a glass screen protector put on by the Apple Store and it is slick as poo poo. I kind of like it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The iphone should not auto correct walkin dog to salmon dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Vegetable posted:

The iphone should not auto correct walkin dog to salmon dog

You’re right, I just verified on mine it corrects to “walking dog”