Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This had to be a gift just so she could say they were advertisers without them actually giving Twitter money.
'Please just give me something'
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1710405691129692336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Concerning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s, like, a test ad targeting one user to make sure the ad buying service still works

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That was actually a misassigned payment; Visa had just purchased an SA account and sent the check to the wrong place.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Yacc : someone from SA said the price point should be at 10$!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
It's just one advertisement Elon, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
have we seen any numbers on whether news orgs are getting more or less clicks since the change? i know i'm clicking less

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

OgNar posted:

This had to be a gift just so she could say they were advertisers without them actually giving Twitter money.
'Please just give me something'
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1710405691129692336

Bet it's from them paying for a blue check and getting the cost rounded up because the reporting resolution doesn't go down to single digits

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aren’t companies charged more for verification, or whatever they’re calling the blue tick now?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Someone in that thread said its $1000 for gold checkmark but the top companies get it for free.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://fortune.com/2023/10/06/elon-musk-twitter-x-financing-wall-street-banks/amp/

An interesting tidbit that apparently the banks behind Musk taking over Twitter have a particular agreement that stops them from screwing each other over by trying to cut their losses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Morrow posted:

https://fortune.com/2023/10/06/elon-musk-twitter-x-financing-wall-street-banks/amp/

An interesting tidbit that apparently the banks behind Musk taking over Twitter have a particular agreement that stops them from screwing each other over by trying to cut their losses.

So do the three of the seven banks that have the agreement just own the vast majority of the stock, as it seems there just unnecessarily putting themselves at the mercy of the other four who would of probably and now definitely are aware of that.

Like this just seems like piling bad decision on bad decision.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

dr_rat posted:

So do the three of the seven banks that have the agreement just own the vast majority of the stock, as it seems there just unnecessarily putting themselves at the mercy of the other four who would of probably and now definitely are aware of that.

Yes, they own 70% of the financed portion.
There is no stock now that Twitter is private, just debt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dr_rat posted:

The trick is that often with this sort of debt if it's impaired 51% can screw over the 49% in cooperation with the company. They're allying together to avoid Musk picking off 51%.

It's a very good decision because right now they are very vulnerable.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

duz posted:

Yes, they own 70% of the financed portion.
There is no stock now that Twitter is private, just debt.

Private companies often have stock too. It’s just held privately. I don’t know Twitter’s particular precise structure post going private, but as a general statement “private company” does not always mean no stock. Some private companies even grant stock to employees.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Private companies often have stock too. It’s just held privately. I don’t know Twitter’s particular precise structure post going private, but as a general statement “private company” does not always mean no stock. Some private companies even grant stock to employees.

This. IIRC one of the main reasons Facebook went public is because they crossed some threshold of # of shareholders that would have required them to start publishing financial reports similar to that of a public company, so the decision was made to go public.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1711538134029385925?s=20

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, I guess blocking any chance of debate is definitely going places, if you want to use Twitter for propaganda.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Musk himself is just alternating between "tweeting vague nonsense about maximizing the truthiness of Twitter X" and "sitting in the replies of open white supremacists tweeting his agreement with their racist screeds".

It's not even funny to mock anymore, his mask has completely slipped off. It's no wonder Twitter moderation has reportedly been completely terrible in the latest events.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I like how "having subsidized healthcare and schools" is a crime on par with "subjugating all women and killing all gays" according to that person.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

(letter: https://i.imgur.com/vWHGqMT.jpg)

Not sure what kind of teeth the EU has for enforcing anything in this context but I can't see how "you are well aware" is the sort of thing you really want to hear in a challenge from an EU official about your website.

Naturally, the replies are full of smug "if theres so much hate on here why dont you name one" bluster like the EU has any kind of obligation to litigate cases on Boer Twitter.

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 10, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
lol YouTube is telling me to turn off adblocking or else they will block me after 3 strikes

Can’t wait for Google itself to start doing this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Today in "this is technically illegal but who knows if there will ever be consequences": Twitter's new "stealth" ads may be breaking FTC content labeling rules

quote:

Under Section 5(a) of the US Federal Trade Commission Act, companies are banned from using deceptive ad practices, meaning consumers must know that ads are, well, ads. For social platforms, this means that any native advertising, or advertising designed to look like content on the platform, needs to be clearly labeled.

“There’s really no doubt to us that X’s lack of disclosure here misleads consumers,” says Sarah Kay Wiley, policy and partnerships director at Check My Ads, an ad industry watchdog group. “Consumers are simply not able to differentiate what is content and what is not paid content. Even I’ve been duped, and I work in this space.”

X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The ads are also breaking the EU DSA rules.

quote:

The new rules will empower users in understanding and making informed decisions about the ads they see. They will have to be clearly informed whether and why they are targeted by each ad and who paid for the ad; they should also see very clearly when content is sponsored or organically posted on a platform and should also see when influencers are promoting commercial messages. Notice and action obligations also apply for potentially illegal ads, as for any other type of content.
DSA
Not sure if they are serving those ads in the EU though. I'm sure twitter has carefully considered this change :laugh:

Big lol if twitter gets the first two warnings for breaching a new law.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

lol YouTube is telling me to turn off adblocking or else they will block me after 3 strikes

Can’t wait for Google itself to start doing this.

is this when youre logged into your google panopticon account?

also what browser or device?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've seen people reporting it on Chrome. I think they're slowly rolling it out to make sure they don't lose a ton of revenue/market share in doing so. I'm a Premium subscriber, but this still caused me to switch to Firefox

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah glad I switched to Firefox earlier when google announced they were going to start monetizing all their searches and tracking. I haven't had any problems on FF and I only log into Gmail within a container tab (which are awesome btw).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I have tried various extra adblocking extensions for Chrome that supposedly work for that new Youtube timer that might work for a few hours before getting another one.
There is a reddit thread that people have been posting extensions that work, but the 3 i've tried still get that eventually popup.
There are a few people in there saying its happened to them on Firefox also, but most Firefox users dont seem to have gotten it at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can Elon’s creditors wrest twitter away from him and try to save it? I pray not.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I had no idea YouTube was doing anything about adblockers, I haven't seen a YouTube ad in years and I watch tons of stuff on YouTube and haven't gotten any alerts about needing to turn mine off. I've got like 3 adblockers, and a couple things blocking trackers, and other poo poo that maybe fucks with it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

OgNar posted:

I have tried various extra adblocking extensions for Chrome that supposedly work for that new Youtube timer that might work for a few hours before getting another one.
There is a reddit thread that people have been posting extensions that work, but the 3 i've tried still get that eventually popup.
There are a few people in there saying its happened to them on Firefox also, but most Firefox users dont seem to have gotten it at all.

I recently made the switch to Firefox after Chrome decided to just disable my adblocker entirely, and on Youtube I'm not getting any timer but I am getting a little popup from youtube trying to guilt-trip me about using an adblocker. I can just close it and play the video immediately though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah glad I switched to Firefox earlier when google announced they were going to start monetizing all their searches and tracking. I haven't had any problems on FF and I only log into Gmail within a container tab (which are awesome btw).
I've found that multiple online shopping sites' carts fail on Firefox and succeed on Chrome. :( I use Firefox, but keep Chrome around for these occasions.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Clarste posted:

I recently made the switch to Firefox after Chrome decided to just disable my adblocker entirely, and on Youtube I'm not getting any timer but I am getting a little popup from youtube trying to guilt-trip me about using an adblocker. I can just close it and play the video immediately though.

Same experience with Firefox. Youtube isn't stopping me from doing anything, but it does throw popups at me now and again about how adblocker are bad and make the little children cry.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is why Google is suddenly interested in verifying browser integrity- so they can cryptographically guarantee you're running a browser incapable of blocking ads before letting you watch youtube

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've found that multiple online shopping sites' carts fail on Firefox and succeed on Chrome. :( I use Firefox, but keep Chrome around for these occasions.

Yeah, even though browsers tend to just work with everything better these days, I still find it good to always have at least two browsers on a computer. I find edge is just fine for a back up browser. It's already on windows machines and never had any problems with it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
except Edge is just chrome too?

hell i have several non google , non FF browsers, because their default stock settings all somehow break some things.

why cant things just work(or data miners stop mining and tracking)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
AdBlock, AdGuard, Ghostery, uBlock Origin, and J2TEAM Security are all working fine on my Chrome and it's fully updated.

Are they only doing it in certain regions or something?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Same experience with Firefox. Youtube isn't stopping me from doing anything, but it does throw popups at me now and again about how adblocker are bad and make the little children cry.

Same but without the guilt trip popups. I use ublock origin and adblock for youtube.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I guess cutting tens of thousands of jobs wasn't enough to make the numbers go up.

I did get a "AdBlockers are not allowed on YouTube" pop-up yesterday for the first time, although I don't think it came with a countdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
AFAIK they've been rolling the anti-adblock stuff out gradually because they REALLY don't want to be getting false positives. There are a lot of trivial ways to tell that someone is watching a video without watching the pre-roll ad, but a lot of those ways would trigger from network hiccups, programmer flubs, or any other thing that caused ad delivery to fail, and so far they've been lenient and just letting users watch the video even when ad delivery failed so they don't get pissed.