Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ultramega OK posted:

Michael Cimino went from Oscar winner to Razzie winner in three years due to Heaven’s Gate.

The 1980 western movie, not the 1990s UFO cult.

Prior to this, Cimino was an acclaimed film director who won Best Director and Best Picture Oscars for The Deer Hunter. His follow-up movie, Heaven’s Gate, went four times over budget due to his quirks and demands. It was also originally four hours long and featured scenes where horses were abused or, in one case, killed by explosives.

Heaven’s Gate effectively killed Cimino’s career. He only directed four more feature-length films after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGd_cytAIkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I tried watching Heaven's Gate recently, and the unbelievably turgid opening scene where a bunch of forty year olds are graduating from university made me roll my eyes out of my head.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Showgirls destroyed both Elizabeth Berkley and Joe Eszterhas' careers. It didn't destroy Kyle MacLachlan's though, as he is immune to such things.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
just remembered a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzsMkH9ew-0

quote:

Saying Andrew Shirvell engaged in "hate speech" and "mental and physical harassment," a state hearing officer has upheld the 2010 firing of the former assistant attorney general, the Associated Press reports.

Shirvell was dismissed by then-Attorney General Mike Cox when Shirvell's campaign against an openly gay student government leader, Chris Armstrong, became national news.

Shirvell appealed the decision, arguing his conduct -- which included a blog accusing Armstrong of promoting a "radical homosexual agenda" -- was protected by the First Amendment.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
"It usually bends more..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7OgAdCObs&t=900s

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Extra Large Marge posted:

Showgirls destroyed both Elizabeth Berkley and Joe Eszterhas' careers. It didn't destroy Kyle MacLachlan's though, as he is immune to such things.

Oh I dunno, Elizabeth Berkley at least got to be "the girl from Saved by the Bell and Showgirls" and not just "the girl from Saved by the Bell" lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Oh I dunno, Elizabeth Berkley at least got to be "the girl from Saved by the Bell and Showgirls" and not just "the girl from Saved by the Bell" lol

And Showgirls has a massive cult following these days so it might have just been a matter of timing

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Showgirls is a legit good movie. If you have been in the entertainment business for a while, the characters aren't exaggerations. It definitely hit home for me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I never saw it, which makes no sense to me since it came out when I was 14 and is almost certainly full of nudity.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd recommend watching "Showgirls". I can't agree that it's a good movie, but it is a "Camp Classic", meaning there are a lot of scenes of women in heavy makeup screaming at each other.

Also there is this dinner scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kVZ5B9uV0

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Bringing up Kill Bill reminds me of Vivica A. Fox and how she was in the loving Cool Cat movie, which seems like it totally didn't end her career at all thankfully.

I see her almost every day now, selling car warranty insurance in commercials. "Darlings...."

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

teen witch posted:

And Showgirls has a massive cult following these days so it might have just been a matter of timing

Me and some friends went and saw it opening weekend. Only real nerds had the internet back then so this was our only way to see Jesse naked.

But as the movie went on, you could tell everyone was very confused. Is this camp? Is it just bad? I mean, she's naked and all but...I just want to laugh.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gina Gershon is loving great in Showgirls

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Me and some friends went and saw it opening weekend. Only real nerds had the internet back then so this was our only way to see Jesse naked.

But as the movie went on, you could tell everyone was very confused. Is this camp? Is it just bad? I mean, she's naked and all but...I just want to laugh.

If it had been Kelly Kapowski naked it would have made more money than Avatar.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Exit to Eden would have killed if they marketed it as Dana Dalany in S&M gear, but instead they just showed Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'Donnell.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109758

edit: This is the one film that Akroyd said he wishes he could forgot. This coming form the man that brought us Nothing But Trouble and Blues Brothers 2000.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bonzo posted:

Exit to Eden would have killed if they marketed it as Dana Dalany in S&M gear, but instead they just showed Dan Akroyd and Rosie O'Donnell.

edit: This is the one film that Akroyd said he wishes he could forgot. This coming form the man that brought us Nothing But Trouble and Blues Brothers 2000.

Nothing but trouble is amazing. I won’t have you speak ill of it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How does someone even gently caress up a western

You literally just put people in suits in New Mexico and then subject the characters to greater and greater levels of hell

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

MrQwerty posted:

Gina Gershon is loving great in Showgirls

She is great in EVERYTHING

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Everyone's favorite nerdcore rapper "mc chris" had a big blow-up on a fan and called security at a show, and then cried on video and everyone online laughed at him. You may recall:

And since then I am not sure he has ever recovered. For the record I like the guy and wish him well, and I still listen to his music sometimes, even if I have to skip a couple super cringy tracks (Hoodie Ninja anyone?); I think he slunk off the Internet for a while, but he still puts out music. I don't do Twitter so I'm not sure he was able to carry on having a social media presence. I guess he last had an album out on 2018 that I should probably check out. Poor mc chris. Chris if you're reading this, I still think you're pretty great.

MC Chris was insanely active on Facebook around the time that happened and was constantly spamming the @everyone option to ping everyone following his page, basically scaring his followers off in a desperate ploy to stay in the spotlight. He got super whiny about his "true fans" as well which is even more of a death knell, like begging it not to be so during a break up.
There was also a second there where he was trying to reignite his time in limelight with some rejected cartoon that he kept trying to crowdfund and get back on adult swim like in his dog years.

I met him a few times decades ago and he seemed cool at the time.

I just looked and he seems to have given up on the dream. Last post was September and the one before that is joking/maybe not joking about working at McDonald's now.

Guess I'll put on Fett's Vette and pour one out.

mannerup posted:

The Kony 2012 documentary filmmaker having a meltdown and jacking off in the middle of traffic in San Diego, CA

:tinfoil: That dude got mkultra'd and hard. :tinfoil:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anderson Koopa posted:

Then a couple of years later, Jakobi Myers gave us this treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGSYQjhzicY

The Titanic music, Jonathan Vilma's "OH NO! OH WOW", Mac Jones being stiff-armed into the Earth's crust..

Preserve this poo poo in the Library of Congress

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I like Nothing But Trouble

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bonzo posted:

Aykroyd seems to have gotten off pretty easy for an original SNL cast member. Still alive, has goodwill unlike Chase, got to be in some classic movies & was still starring in them for a while past when it was a good idea, and has plenty of time & resources to enjoy his paranormal interests.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

chainchompz posted:

MC Chris was insanely active on Facebook around the time that happened and was constantly spamming the @everyone option to ping everyone following his page, basically scaring his followers off in a desperate ploy to stay in the spotlight. He got super whiny about his "true fans" as well which is even more of a death knell, like begging it not to be so during a break up.
There was also a second there where he was trying to reignite his time in limelight with some rejected cartoon that he kept trying to crowdfund and get back on adult swim like in his dog years.

I met him a few times decades ago and he seemed cool at the time.

I just looked and he seems to have given up on the dream. Last post was September and the one before that is joking/maybe not joking about working at McDonald's now.

Guess I'll put on Fett's Vette and pour one out.

:tinfoil: That dude got mkultra'd and hard. :tinfoil:

There was a time a few years ago where he was melting down on FB Live. He seems to be doing better now.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Aykroyd seems to have gotten off pretty easy for an original SNL cast member. Still alive, has goodwill unlike Chase, got to be in some classic movies & was still starring in them for a while past when it was a good idea, and has plenty of time & resources to enjoy his paranormal interests.

you can't leave out his crystal skull vodka business

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

He's also got a winery in Niagara, ON. Pretty sure it's just a tax shelter like Wayne Gretzky's

And speaking of tax write offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rertib35fM

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21431644

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

chainchompz posted:

didnt adult swim lampoon the whole incident with him storming out of his own concert in a ATHF episode? i'd say that was the moment we all saw that door slam shut

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Junk posted:

didnt adult swim lampoon the whole incident with him storming out of his own concert in a ATHF episode? i'd say that was the moment we all saw that door slam shut

Yep. It wasn't until later that I made the connection on it.

*Me, sobbing, ugly tears*
My backpack's got jets...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

mannerup posted:

you can't leave out his crystal skull vodka business

Bless this insane man. Look, I can handle insane if everyone says you're amazing to work with and very kind. Let him have his little drinking skulls. Waaaay better than Chase. I hope he gets to work for as long as he wants, being a kook and kind :3:

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I like Akroyd way more as an openly insane old man selling glass skulls full of booze.

I'm looking at one on display in my living room at this very moment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Everyone second person seems to have one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's made way more from his vodka that he ever did in Hollywood.

I was looking up Christian Slater and Kevin Costner just now to see what happened to them, and they never stopped working. I wonder how many of these celebrity career deaths I thought were, were actually just me no longer paying attention to pop culture outside of my bubble.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Everyone second person seems to have one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's made way more from his vodka that he ever did in Hollywood.

I was looking up Christian Slater and Kevin Costner just now to see what happened to them, and they never stopped working. I wonder how many of these celebrity career deaths I thought were, were actually just me no longer paying attention to pop culture outside of my bubble.

Costner has just left Yellowstone after something like 6 years.

Hallmark movies are the real zone to where people just disappear and just materialize for a Christmas movie every 2 years. My mom loved those movies, and they'd be on when I visited and it was kinda funny seeing Jewel Staite in a romcom.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's astonishing how many bands that you would think 'are dead' never stopped recording music or touring after their one hit wonder faded away. They just were no longer known by everyone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lt. Cock posted:

I like Akroyd way more as an openly insane old man selling glass skulls full of booze.

Probably, celebrity liquor brands can be shockingly lucrative. Sammy Hagar sold his Cabo Wabo brand for $80 million.

On the sliding scale of 1 to 10 oddball celebrity beliefs he’s around a 0 or -1? As far as I know he’s not harming anyone and we got Ghostbusters out of it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lt. Cock posted:

Dan Aykroyd legit believes those Herkimer diamonds (quartz crystals) he filters his vodka through are magical

kind of like how he believes Ghostbusters is a documentary

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Extra Large Marge posted:

I'd recommend watching "Showgirls". I can't agree that it's a good movie, but it is a "Camp Classic", meaning there are a lot of scenes of women in heavy makeup screaming at each other.

Also there is this dinner scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kVZ5B9uV0

this movie is incredibly gay but in ways that boggle mindle

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MrQwerty posted:

Dan Aykroyd legit believes those Herkimer diamonds (quartz crystals) he filters his vodka through are magical

kind of like how he believes Ghostbusters is a documentary

he got a blowjob from a ghost, i think he knows what hes talking about

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Some guys get BJ ghosts and some get paralysis demons, the world is so unfair

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
They’re one in the same in my experience

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

when u nut but the class 5 vapor keep suckin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Bonzo posted:

Jennifer Grey who starred in Dirty Dancing and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, got a nose job which made her unrecognizable.

I heard it changed her face so radically her parents failed to recognise her when they saw her post surgery!

What did Gina Carano do? I knew she got poo poo canned for saying something but I’ve never been remotely interested in any of the terrible SW tv shows.