Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Burns posted:

What does murz mean with "war of 888"?

Heil double Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Karate Bastard posted:

Something that's stuck with me is that yes, we're lucky they're so loving stupid, but on the other hand, if they weren't so loving stupid, all the way up, they wouldn't be there in the first place. They wouldn't be sent there, without training. Of course they're loving stupid. It's not lucky. It's a loving tragedy. It's a loving tragedy they're so loving stupid.

Well when you put it like that you're right, it isn't lucky. It's loving hilarious

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

zone posted:

Murz with further commentary on the unfolding disaster at Avdiivka. He sounds about ready to give up entirely.

This was good read. I guess the Russians continue to favor brute force as it's a strategy that can be applied immediately? They can't really take time off to train and seem to be all in on the sunk cost fallacy of putting heads to concrete.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

weg posted:

This was good read. I guess the Russians continue to favor brute force as it's a strategy that can be applied immediately? They can't really take time off to train and seem to be all in on the sunk cost fallacy of putting heads to concrete.

I feel like if RuAF paused for long enough to actually train up a competent and equipped cadre that Ukraine would be able to break through in that lull in reinforcements. As it is it seems like they're barely holding on and trying to seize the initiative in any way they can.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Responding to the months-long Ukrainian summer offensive by husbanding some reserves and then using them to launch a counteroffensive in another part of the line is a perfectly solid strategy - so long as you pick a weak spot in the line and hit that. It sounds like the Russians did just the opposite of that by picking a strongpoint to try and crash through.

Dumbasses.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

FMguru posted:

Responding to the months-long Ukrainian summer offensive by husbanding some reserves and then using them to launch a counteroffensive in another part of the line is a perfectly solid strategy - so long as you pick a weak spot in the line and hit that. It sounds like the Russians did just the opposite of that by picking a strongpoint to try and crash through.

Dumbasses.

They would unironically have likely fared better if they committed everything they had to the Kupiansk axis instead. As it is, the losses from this moronic attack have already far surpassed what happened in Vuhledar and are the single most catastrophic in the war so far.

e: in other news, another piece of junk was shot down on the eastern front
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1712892801027805396#m

zone fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 13, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Solid start to another weekend of airframe losses. Love it. Cannot wait to see the return of painted canvas triplanes to the Russian armoury.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1712940611446161535#m
GLSDBs are seemingly soon on the way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

Lol @ the "9 women and 1 month" thing being a universal joke
You need 18 women and 1 month to make twins
This is a bad and kinda obscure r/relationships thread in-joke

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CannonFodder posted:

I appreciate and understand it. Thank you.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hello friends, I've been out of the picture on the war for a couple days and I thought I would give some knowledge out. Ukraine is now targeting trains and train depots in mariupol.

As many of you have known me for a little while, I will presume that you know the things you laugh at me for which are the train talk of course. However, it's now happening and the main trains moving ammunition to the front have been blown up as well as train depots.

In other news, Russia's is having big trouble recruiting people at this moment.

I will come back to you all with more news, however разводиться has started and that's going to make combat. Very interesting.

Something I'm not really sure about, and I'm going to need someone to clarify this with me. But would Western tanks fair better in the mud conditions than Russian tanks? And in my mind the Abrams is a very heavy tank so I would think it would actually fair worse. But somebody should clarify that just for the library.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Something I'm not really sure about, and I'm going to need someone to clarify this with me. But would Western tanks fair better in the mud conditions than Russian tanks? And in my mind the Abrams is a very heavy tank so I would think it would actually fair worse. But somebody should clarify that just for the library.

the Leopard 2A5/6 and T-72 have similar ground pressures, so I'm not sure there's significant difference in mud traversal. However, T-pattern tanks are substantially lighter overall than their western equivalents, so it's possible they can cross bridges that would be closed to western tanks.
Not to say it's fine for one side or the other, but to say rasputitsa is bad for both (when it comes to MBTs).

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

:justpost:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should also talk about the fact that Russia lost a thousand troops today. Which is the most in like 3 months.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I am also curious how an Abrams handles mud because, on the one hand it’s a heavy bastard, but on the other it was designed for a WW3 European land war, so they had to consider this kind of terrain.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No tank likes mud imo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We should also talk about the fact that Russia lost a thousand troops today. Which is the most in like 3 months.

Russia seems to be a bit slow to pull their hand off the stove. If other hot messes are any indication they're not going to let up until other sectors are bleed dry. They might have been able to gently caress a local hornet's nest well past the 50th sting earlier in the war, but every source that's been posted here and other places seems to indicate that manpower and equipment is getting precarious.

I'm imagining that the Kremlin's got a very similar vibe to the Fuhrer Bunker in 1944/45, where remnants of units are being flung into the meat grinder because the boss needs a win, and nobody is going to tell him it's a bad idea. By summer Putin might be hoping that Steiner Yuri is going to tip the balance.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blistex posted:

By summer Putin might be hoping that Steiner Yuri is going to tip the balance.

joke's on him, psychic powers aren't real

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dandywalken posted:

No tank likes mud imo

Lots of things don't like mud.

Especially mosin nagants and even the almighty AK47(if you slather the entire thing in poo poo like a slovenly goon)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The abrams will be fine. Its ground pressure is fairly low, and the turbine engine is strong enough for one abrams to recover another one that’s stuck. The real threat of the Abram’s will be the improved scopes and sensor packages- they will pretty easily kill a T-72 beyond its detection range.

Russia is setting themselves up to be routed and I don’t mean OSPF

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

TaurusTorus posted:

I am also curious how an Abrams handles mud because, on the one hand it’s a heavy bastard, but on the other it was designed for a WW3 European land war, so they had to consider this kind of terrain.

This is an old favorite video of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCXwgPZXScM

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

USarmy.mp4

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Why does the tank have a little blinking light on one side of the turret?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why does the tank have a little blinking light on one side of the turret?

I believe it indicates the tank is 'dead' for purposes of wargames/training.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

karoshi posted:

Theoretically, it can drop to the sea floor and wait N days until it hears the sound signature(s) it's waiting for. Every port exit/entry you must now scan the sea floor with sonar imaging to see if there's a big tube. It's not making noise and obviously it wont be on radar or visible to your lookouts. No idea if this is what they are doing or just me clancyrbaiting.

so it's a mine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1713064808025641427
Last seen begging in North Korea, may appear confused; answers to "Peter the Great."

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Five years ago, the idea of Russia receiving arms aid from loving North Korea would've been the most laughable poo poo.

loving wow.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's still the most laughable poo poo just for a different reason

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What matters for mobility on terrain (as opposed to structures like bridges) is not raw weight but the concept of "ground pressure", which is basically the weight of the object divided by the surface area contacting the ground. For a tank, this is a function of the length and width of the tracks, and is a big part of why tracks are used instead of wheels. The Abrams has a ground pressure of around 15 psi (M1A2 variant) according to public sources. A Leo 2 looks to be around 12. A T-90 also looks to be around 12.

So the modern obese version of the Abrams will sink more in mud than most tanks. That might be offset somewhat by the obscenely powerful engine the Abrams carries.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 14, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So it's a boat.

Can't stop here, this is mud country.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good guys stick together

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Are they still just doing human wave assaults on Ukrainian positions, or is there something else going on?

TaurusTorus posted:

The Abrams is supposed to have incredibly low ground pressure so probably pretty decently, of course with "decently" being very much graded on a curve. Nothing handles mud that well, aside from maybe other mud.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Iirc the older abrams have lower ground pressure than Leo2, but the newer ones have higher.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are they still just doing human wave assaults on Ukrainian positions, or is there something else going on?

The Abrams is supposed to have incredibly low ground pressure so probably pretty decently, of course with "decently" being very much graded on a curve. Nothing handles mud that well, aside from maybe other mud.

They're still doing human wave attacks on Avdiivka and trying to stop the Ukrainians from taking Kurdyumivka near Bakhmut.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Gnoman posted:

What matters for mobility on terrain (as opposed to structures like bridges) is not raw weight but the concept of "ground pressure", which is basically the weight of the object divided by the surface area contacting the ground. For a tank, this is a function of the length and width of the tracks, and is a big part of why tracks are used instead of wheels. The Abrams has a ground pressure of around 15 psi (M1A2 variant) according to public sources. A Leo 2 looks to be around 12. A T-90 also looks to be around 12.

So the modern obese version of the Abrams will sink more in mud than most tanks. That might be offset somewhat by the obscenely powerful engine the Abrams carries.

Thanks for that explanation of what ground pressure actually is. :cheers:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

https://twitter.com/IhateTrenches/status/1712764030249513333

quote:

I've seen a lot of poo poo these last 18 months.

But the sheer stupidity of RU actions in Avdiivka, Pisky area is astounding.

I've never seen such lack of disregard for soldiers. Running straight line human waves. Bodies stacked ontop of each other in fields, armor running over the deceased to get through.

The RU losses have to be extremely high. As in the thousands already and only from 3-4 days of fighting. And it's not just mobiks, it's vdv, dpr, & contract units. Just being thrown to slaughter in hopes Ukrainian positions run out of ammunition.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Classic russian tactics

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1713064808025641427
Last seen begging in North Korea, may appear confused; answers to "Peter the Great."

look at those faces lol

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1713127436978675853#m
Have they gone mad? They already lost a huge amount of men, equipment, and vehicles, even aircraft, trying to capture Avdiivka, and now they're making another moronic offensive towards Kupyansk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Swollen face guys stick together