Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I didn’t touch the obviously cursed object but lmao

He's an ophthalmologist

he can fit you for glasses or fix your cataracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

in the last 5 years we went from 1 fridge with about $40k of inventory (we had to destroy one time because someone accidentally left the door open over the thanksiving holiday) to 3 fridges with about $500k of inventory because of all the loving biologics, insulins and semaglutides and one of them is jam packed full of flu and rsv shots mostly

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's an ophthalmologist

he can fit you for glasses or fix your cataracts

I'm curious about if the "millions of American lives" is because Hannity actually thinks the death and disablement toll is that large or if he just thinks lives were destroyed by the at most year and a half of inconsistent, half assed mitigation efforts.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alberta has a good answer for when "covid season" is. In case you can't view tweets, this says "The current [respiratory virus] season starts on August 27, 2023 and ends on August 24, 2024."

https://twitter.com/GosiaGasperoPhD/status/1712579319879627006/photo/1

Chamale has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Oct 14, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Totally love seeing my cousin who received an organ transplant a few years ago at a oktoberfest maskless looking bored as hell.

Just love it!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shiroc posted:

I'm curious about if the "millions of American lives" is because Hannity actually thinks the death and disablement toll is that large or if he just thinks lives were destroyed by the at most year and a half of inconsistent, half assed mitigation efforts.

I just assume it's about lockdowns because we won't stop hearing about how awful the 2020 lockdowns were until everyone who was alive in 2020 is dead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rockear posted:

lol/lmao

Hearing one of her colleagues say “it’s better than nothing,” Sol Espinoza spoke up.

“I’d rather take nothing,” said Espinoza, a firefighter with Cal Fire in San Bernardino. Espinoza said she could never imagine wearing a constrictive device that makes it harder to breathe.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/firefighters-smoke-respirators-18405003.php

I’ll just leave this here.

quote:

It's not much of a story. My crew rolled off a fire in Southern Oregon one morning and showed up on a Type 1 complex in Northern California that evening. Completed check-in, received our assignment for the next day and racked out. The next morning we showed up at briefing, trundled out to our division briefing and immediately knew we were in trouble when we saw 3 strike teams of city engines, complete with their crew in full turnouts/bunker gear and 3 other wildland rigs, a hand crew and a falling mod (sawyers) for the entire division. Now this would certainly make sense if the division was responsible for ANY amount of point protection (structures, inhabited or otherwise) but our entire division was chaparral and ponderosa pine, but I digress.

Div Supe had a palpable amount of disdain for us wildland guys and literally told our engines to 'guard a tree at the staging area' I wish I were making this up.

So I did what I could and followed the book to the letter, I flagged the hazard tree visibly and ensured we had someone watching it and informing others entering the work area of the hazard tree. Nobody was going to lose an oil pan on their rig on my watch.

The city rigs were sent down the line to hold fire watch, if you've never seen a city unit try to navigate a two track road, I assure you it's quite a sight, especially when they have to back down multiple miles of a road because they are physically unable to turn around.

In the afternoon apparently the Div Supe got tired of us warning him of the hazard tree in the staging lot every time he rolled through and told us to gently caress off up a hill somewhere he couldn't see or hear us anymore.

Unfortunately where he pointed on the map for us to gently caress off to had fire below, no lookouts established, no escape routes, and was out of radio communication with the rest of the division. We protested the assignment, on violation of rules #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 (see: NWCG Standard Orders) but didn't outright refuse the assignment.

After an extended lunch and a nap (we set our own lookout) we attempted to report a spot fire that had jumped the containment line, but were unable to establish radio contact with division, section or overhead. Thankfully two of the other wildland engines heard our traffic and were able to assist and we contained the spot fire at around 5 acres.

Around that time we finally heard some more panicked radio traffic indicating that the city units had completely lost the containment line due to a wind shift and we all now had a very active fire front a few hundred feet below us and they were attempting to evac before they lost equipment.

I turned on a second radio and attempted to contact the Air Boss, whom promptly informed me they were engaged trying to save equipment on the ground, and much to my surprise provided a description and coordinates to where we had stashed our truck a few miles back. The video in the bonus content is actually a drop they made near our truck to try and protect it, but had been "unable to contact the operators of the equipment" because they were not responding to calls on TAC or Air-to-Ground. We had been expressly prohibited by the Div Supe from monitoring or using frequencies not explicitly assigned to us, including A2G. gently caress you, my priority is crew safety, I'll monitor what I please.

At the end of the day, I failed to zip my phone back into my radio harness and in the ensuing chaos of trying to get out from an active fire front (from below!) it probably bounced out while we were running and working. They eventually drove a D8 Dozer down on our heads from uphill with no spotter/HEQB after we had secured part of the fire flank and I assume that phone turned into a puddle of plastic and glass or was crushed by the dozer, but I never found it. The city lads burned 3 entire trucks worth of hoses that day and we're huffing and puffing in their bunkers as they had to hike more than 50ft from their trucks to help us idiots that aren't "real firefighters"

That wasn't the first or last time CalFire tried to kill me that trip, or that year, but in short, gently caress CalFire and their incompetent Overhead. They added 2,500 acres to the fire that day iirc on our division alone.

The HEQB when we finally found him had parked his lowboy "back around the hill near a pink truck with some burned paint" It was a white truck, and gently caress scrubbing retardant off paint.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:shepface:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

eyyyyyyy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dismissed because COVID was thrice over in April 2022.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Doesn't seem like anything to me

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

I’ll just leave this here.

they do make really good chili and have very well developed side delts though.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Psycho Society posted:

Doesn't seem like anything to me

The canary is neither purple nor on fire, so it's still quite mild.

We'll continue to monitor the situation. Remain calm and be sure to wash your hands.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Chamale posted:

Alberta has a good answer for when "covid season" is. In case you can't view tweets, this says "The current [respiratory virus] season starts on August 27, 2023 and ends on August 24, 2024."

(..)

lmao, I really enjoy the attempts at shoehorning COVID into some kind of predictable and :actually: this is expected frame. The following article relates to your post.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-covid-prime-minister-experts-evans-b2429421.html posted:

Experts angered and disappointed over Boris Johnson’s long Covid remark
The then-Prime Minister said the condition was ‘Gulf War Syndrome’.

[ed. not actually in the article:]

(..)
A WhatsApp message in February 2021 from Mr Johnson was also referred to, saying “Do we really believe in long Covid? Why can’t we hedge it more? I bet it’s complete Gulf War Syndrome stuff.”
(..)

Turns out we can :nsa:

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Nearing 24hrs after the Novavax shot and regret to inform you that it hosed me up pretty good!

Chills, fever, body aches, pain in armpit, racing heart...basically everything the Moderna shots did to me, but slightly less intense. I will say that the symptoms seem to be going away faster and I'm about 75% back to normal. My wife is immunocompromised and only had light fatigue, WTF.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

Nearing 24hrs after the Novavax shot and regret to inform you that it hosed me up pretty good!

Chills, fever, body aches, pain in armpit, racing heart...basically everything the Moderna shots did to me, but slightly less intense. I will say that the symptoms seem to be going away faster and I'm about 75% back to normal. My wife is immunocompromised and only had light fatigue, WTF.

My understanding is that at the end of the day, even if they have different mechanisms, both types of vax present a bunch of basically the same spike proteins to your body to produce antibodies for. I wouldn't necessarily expect much difference in side effects.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rescue Toaster posted:

My understanding is that at the end of the day, even if they have different mechanisms, both types of vax present a bunch of basically the same spike proteins to your body to produce antibodies for. I wouldn't necessarily expect much difference in side effects.

the side effects are often due to the adjuvant or other ingredients so there can be some variation between brands.

and novavax is actually, what? a weird nanotechnology barrel with likely spike protein rbd’s stuck to it? I know the mRNA’s don’t actually make your body make spike proteins, they just tell affected cells to make the relevant sections of the spike protein along the cell membrane.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speak of the devil, the far uvc light kit is back

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if people not wanting to see service/retail employees in masks was a big part of what drove the absolute plummet in voluntary mask usage. Without guidelines requiring or at least suggesting mask use in those settings, a lot of people had to give them up just to keep their jobs or tips. And once you stop using a mask in a high risk daily environment, why should you bother using it in lower risk places that you visit much less frequently?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Jort Fortress posted:

nooooooooo

:ohdear:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I finally finished reading Immune and would highly recommend it to the thread, or anyone who wants a good layman's overview of the immune system. I knew the immune system was complex, but had no idea as to the scale of the complexity. Even now I think I've only glimpsed the barest corner of the mountain. It's a fascinating read.

Now on to Necropolis.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I finally finished reading Immune and would highly recommend it to the thread, or anyone who wants a good layman's overview of the immune system. I knew the immune system was complex, but had no idea as to the scale of the complexity. Even now I think I've only glimpsed the barest corner of the mountain. It's a fascinating read.

Now on to Necropolis.

oh cool I recognized the art style of the cover and turns out the book is by the kurzgesagt infographics YouTube guy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Now on to Necropolis.

lmao at this review's ending

quote:

IN A NUTSHELL: Overall this book is excellent. I'd recommend it to absolutely anyone who wants to try to understand all the moving parts of the universe inside your body that keeps you alive. The takeaways should be taken with a pinch of salt.

WHY ONE STAR?: Simply because you, dear review reader, probably sort by one star reviews to see the worst criticism and that's a little unfair. Five star reviews are often too enthusiastic to be taken seriously, and one star reviews are usually too angry to be useful. He already had more than enough 5 star reviews to have a nice rating overall and I wanted this review to be useful. In truth, this is a very good book.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Steve Yun posted:

oh cool I recognized the art style of the cover and turns out the book is by the kurzgesagt infographics YouTube guy

ugh i hate that guy and his youtube but im interested in the book content. hopefully his writing his less obnoxious than his youtubing.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
mothed up! ready to go!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Well sure, you wear masks to protect others, the government said so. If you've got a real serious mask on it's because you're real real sick. This makes perfect sense if you only know one thing

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

jfc

anecdote: I've been seeing more auras in the wild recently.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chamale posted:

https://twitter.com/GosiaGasperoPhD/status/1712579319879627006/photo/1

I made that joke earlier !!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Making a joke so funny the Alberta government made it official public health policy is quite a resume-builder.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

flu shot in one arm, covid shot in the other. feeling very powerful right now (my whole body hurts)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

I made that joke earlier !!

Stop telling jokes to the Wishmaster, he is terrible - if not downright trollish - in his interpretation of what constitutes a wish.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
should we assume moth juice wanes over 3-6 months like the mRNA

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Now on to Necropolis.

So you're just going to skip over ENDEMIC by Monica Gandhi????

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

should we assume moth juice wanes over 3-6 months like the mRNA

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the novavax induced antibodies last longer than those induced by mRNA vaccines or a COVID infection.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:toot:
https://twitter.com/noneutactic/status/1713231698366792054

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Costco ran out of novavax lol. There was only one dose, so I'm getting it, I guess, since I'm in school and the spouse works at home. Everything is so dumb. They called me ten minutes til the appointment when I was 500 yards from the Costco to ask if Pfizer was ok. aaaaaaaaaaaaa

ˇtools!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

mawarannahr posted:

it's kinda interesting how Island seems to lag everyone else... i could speculate as to why, but is this pattern persistent?

Sorry I missed this earlier. I'm not terribly familiar with Island county but I'm assuming it's because it's pretty remote compared to the bigger cities like Seattle. I don't know if their spikes are something like tourism/summer events that bring more people in, if it's a super-shedder who goes there to visit every so often or what.

The map's a little tricky since I had to screenshot it from the dashboard but this will hopefully provide some geographical context to where Oak Harbor and Coupeville are in relation to the others on the western half of Washington.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Oct 14, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
so… anyone else wanna join me on the 6 month plan

get one free annual shot through insurance, pay for a 6 month booster out of pocket

figure that should cover the bases well enough for waning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Steve Yun posted:

so… anyone else wanna join me on the 6 month plan

get one free annual shot through insurance, pay for a 6 month booster out of pocket

figure that should cover the bases well enough for waning

Can't remember, is there anything about Kaiser and Novavax?