Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

fool of sound posted:

I feel like subtweeting the recommendation and violating it counts as criticism of the guidelines. It's obvious what his opinion about them is.

Yeah I'm not getting why this is disappointing at all. He'll be hauled over the coals by the typical crowd for just this alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 5, 2023

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

mannerup posted:

Reuters has updated their article on one of their photojournalists being killed, posting the entire article

this might just be me, but I’d be loving furious if the news agency I worked for would tiptoe around naming the government that killed me

Fits in with the IDF history of going "it wasn't us" whenever a journalist happens to get killed by a bullet fired from the direction of IDF troops. Happening to just accidentally kill journalists is a happy accident for them, especially when some of the wounded happen to be from Al Jazeera.

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1712859786700800142

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Testekill posted:

Fits in with the IDF history of going "it wasn't us" whenever a journalist happens to get killed by a bullet fired from the direction of IDF troops. Happening to just accidentally kill journalists is a happy accident for them, especially when some of the wounded happen to be from Al Jazeera.

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1712859786700800142

And here's some context for the outlet Rania Khalek works for.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/neville-singham-funded-breakthrough-news-is-pushing-moscow-beijing-propaganda

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's your point, that the murdered journalist was a russian plant?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: wrong forum

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

i say swears online posted:

It's context for the mediator you're choosing to use. I think "this heinous crime was fully backed by Joe Biden" is probably a factually inaccurate piece of framing editorializing from someone who appears to serve as a proxy for the Chinese US-facing propaganda apparatus. This series of events is bringing basically every state and nonstate propaganda entity into play with every tool available, it's part of why it's so hard to get accurate information.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 14, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/LarryAlbertGil/status/1712920117829341270

A genocided people writing a farewell letter while the act is being conducted is perhaps one of the most perverse indictments of the West's heartlessness.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I think "this heinous crime was fully backed by Joe Biden" is probably a factually inaccurate piece of framing editorializing

https://twitter.com/AkbarSAhmed/status/1712860751193403683

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Biden has asked Israel to not do war crimes, but did he say anything about withholding military funds and whatnot? If not, then it's all talk

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So the NYT posted an article tonight about the level of intelligence Hamas had about the IDF targets they struck. The majority of the article is accounts of Israeli citizens and NYT formatting is terrible for a copy/paste into the forums and I am not interested in litigating Hamas actions so I am not going to post the full thing, just some relevant excerpts regarding the question I have:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/13/world/middleeast/hamas-israel-attack-gaza.html

quote:

The 10 gunmen from Gaza knew exactly how to find the Israeli intelligence hub — and how to get inside.

After crossing into Israel, they headed east on five motorcycles, two gunmen on each vehicle, shooting at passing civilian cars as they pressed forward.

Ten miles later, they veered off the road into a stretch of woodland, dismounting outside an unmanned gate to a military base. They blew open the barrier with a small explosive charge, entered the base and paused to take a group selfie. Then they shot dead an unarmed Israeli soldier dressed in a T-shirt.

For a moment, the attackers appeared uncertain about where to go next. Then one of them pulled something from his pocket: a color-coded map of the complex.

Hamas planning documents, videos of the assault and interviews with security officials show that the group had a surprisingly sophisticated understanding of how the Israeli military operated, where it stationed specific units, and even the time it would take for reinforcements to arrive.

After breaching, they were merciless, gunning down some soldiers in their beds and underwear. In several bases, they knew exactly where the communications servers were and destroyed them, according to a senior Israeli army officer.

The group had a specific target — a kibbutz — and the attackers were tasked with storming the village from specific angles. They had estimates for how many Israeli troops were stationed in nearby posts, how many vehicles they had at their disposal, and how long it would take those Israeli relief forces to reach them.

The document is dated October 2022, suggesting that the attack had been planned for at least a year.

Elsewhere, other assailants were posted to key road junctions to ambush Israeli reinforcements, according to four senior officers and officials.

So my question is about whether it's feasible that Hamas alone had that kind of specific information or if this is strong circumstantial evidence that another state actor like Iran was involved in the planning? It seems to me that having information as specific as knowing exactly where the communications servers are in IDF bases could only be obtained from actual spies. Does Hamas have that type of intelligence capability? Are they known to have actual spies in the IDF and/or do they have a known cyber espionage capability? This kind of information sounds like someone with a lot more resources provided assistance with planning the attack.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

i say swears online posted:

Use more objective sources for coverage, even if it's about a murdered journalist. Sourcing political hacks that have an open agenda is trafficking in misinformation, and even 'sources' like Max Blumenthal from The Gray Zone have been unironically linked previously in this thread.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

---

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 14, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

D-Pad posted:

It seems to me that having information as specific as knowing exactly where the communications servers are in IDF bases could only be obtained from actual spies.

Someone has to pick up the garbage. Clean the rooms. Fix the minor maintenance issues that occur. And getting the slaveslow cost contractor employees to do it is common.

it's probably labeled "Server room", and you won't need to be James Bond to know where the server closet probably is.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Comstar posted:

Someone has to pick up the garbage. Clean the rooms. Fix the minor maintenance issues that occur. And getting the slaveslow cost contractor employees to do it is common.

There are no Palestinian workers on IDF bases, and in most bases the soldiers do all the work anyway. The only Arab soldiers are Bedouin and Druze, which are afforded the rank of honorary Jew.

I don't know exactly what or how they got information but I doubt it's spies. At the very least not intentional ones.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

kiminewt posted:

There are no Palestinian workers on IDF bases, and in most bases the soldiers do all the work anyway. The only Arab soldiers are Bedouin and Druze, which are afforded the rank of honorary Jew.

I stand corrected.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023

mannerup posted:

According to the Associated Press it looks like a deal has been struck regarding the Rafah crossing.

edit: reading this story from the Washington Post is more specific with the details

this is so disgusting. let the 500 lucky americans leave, the poor 2.5 million remaining civilians are fair game. where you happen to hold a passport should not matter in terms of making you a valid target.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1713118779780067402

The death toll in gaza has risen to 2215.
8714 people have been injured.

In the west bank 54 palestinians have been killed.
1100 have been injured.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

this is so disgusting. let the 500 lucky americans leave, the poor 2.5 million remaining civilians are fair game. where you happen to hold a passport should not matter in terms of making you a valid target.

It's just going to magnify the chaos in the Gaza Strip as well.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/beltrew/status/1713124289514176795?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

The UN says Gaza is now at the tipping point where it's officially running out of water.

Since we're now detailing sources, Bel Trew is the Chief International Correspondent for the Independent, a vaguely centre-left British newspaper with a solid reputation for... well... independence (despite being owned by Sergei Lavrov, a Russian oligarch with ties to the governing Conservative Party). Their journalism can sometimes be a tad sloppy, but it's on the level of 'occasional factual errors and oversimplification' rather than 'deliberate, consistent bias'. Probably a reliable general follow for this conflict.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There is no way they can get 500 Americans and another few 100 others out without 100000 more trying to escape too.

Which is Israel’s plan. They want the people to become someone’s else problem so they annax the land.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/brian_castner/status/1712921897975837016?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Weapons investigator for Amnesty International describes how his team determined that Israel is using white phosphorous in Gaza.

https://x.com/sameh_asker/status/1713092107357782161?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

UN member shows aerial footage of the gigantic aid convoys queued at the Rafah crossing, waiting for authorisation to enter Gaza.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Edit* Incorrect thread. Sorry about that.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 14, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/brian_castner/status/1712921897975837016?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Weapons investigator for Amnesty International describes how his team determined that Israel is using white phosphorous in Gaza.

Is there anyone here knowledgeable about military weapons that can explain this further to me? It looks like it’s a smoke projectile to hide their rockets, not concentrated white phosphorus that is being used to attack people.

And if Amnesty International is correct, what’s the chance of these particles reaching any humans? Do they burn up instantly in the sky or can they still reach the ground/humans?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 14, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kalit posted:

Is there anyone here knowledgeable about military weapons that can explain this further to me? It looks like it’s a smoke projectile to hide their rockets, not concentrated white phosphorus that is being used to attack people.

And if Amnesty International is correct, what’s the chance of these particles reaching any humans? Do they burn up instantly in the sky or can they still reach the ground/humans?

I'm not sure what you mean by "smoke projectile to hide rockets", WP is used in "legitimate" applications for creating smoke screens for troop movements but they are firing them directly into cities, which means they are being used as incindiaries to burn out buildings.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kalit posted:

Why would they need to hide rockets fired in Gaza? Are they worried that HAMAS has acquired their own Iron Dome? It's not like the the Palestinians can actually do anything about a rocket once the IDF soldier pushes the button to murder innocent civilians. One use that the IDF may find for the white phosphorus is causing an immensely painful death for any innocent civilians who are trapped in the rubble of recently collapsed buildings:

Wikipedia posted:

White phosphorus munitions were used extensively by US forces in Vietnam and by Russian forces in the First Chechen War and Second Chechen War. White phosphorus grenades were used by the US in Vietnam to destroy Viet Cong tunnel complexes as they would burn up all oxygen and suffocate the enemy soldiers sheltering inside.[8][9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_phosphorus_munitions

There's a very popular phrase that I think explains the rationale behind the use of white phosphorus pretty succinctly: the cruelty is the point.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Haystack posted:

Not particularly. The whole thing is obviously tragic.

I agree. The thing is and what I don't understand is why on earth would you bring up another tragedy during the discussion or whatever of one that just occurred where it was especially violent?

To me, it trivializes the tragedy and there's no need to do that at all. Nor does it minimize the conflict.

Haystack posted:

From Hamas's emotional standpoint it made a degree of sense; hurting your abuser is an attractive prospect. I can empathize with that, even if I consider what they did horrifying. But otherwise I view it from a fairly nihilistic standpoint. It's fairly obvious that Gaza's future is either eternal subjugation or cleansing. It's deeply hard to care that their abusers got some of their adjacent civilians killed in the process.

In what way are ravers the abusers of Palestine? If anything, the are probably largely sympathetic to their cause. How does hurting them advance the cause of Palestinian occupation?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "smoke projectile to hide rockets", WP is used in "legitimate" applications for creating smoke screens for troop movements but they are firing them directly into cities, which means they are being used as incindiaries to burn out buildings.

I'm assuming they would be using them to hide rockets from radar systems? That's a wild guess on my part, so I could be 100% wrong, of course. Otherwise, I have no idea why they would be using them in tandem with their other rockets (as mentioned in that linked article):

quote:

The same attack can be seen from another angle in this video, where white phosphorus ammunition is seen being used in tandem with what seem to be standard high explosive artillery shells.

For anyone interested, I did some more poking around and found this link related to chemical properties of WP: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224560/. These rockets were definitely within 300m of humans, I hope for them it was of an amount < 1 mg per cubic meter :sigh:

E:

B B posted:

Why would they need to hide rockets fired in Gaza? Are they worried that HAMAS has acquired their own Iron Dome? It's not like the the Palestinians can actually do anything about a rocket once the IDF soldier pushes the button to murder innocent civilians. One use that the IDF may find for the white phosphorus is causing an immensely painful death for any innocent civilians who are trapped in the rubble of recently collapsed buildings:

There's a very popular phrase that I think explains the rationale behind the use of white phosphorus pretty succinctly: the cruelty is the point.

I hope you understand that these smoke projectiles are way different than the WP weapons used in Vietnam....

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Russia is using phosphorous a lot in Ukraine as well right now. Seems like modern armies love that poo poo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In what way are ravers the abusers of Palestine? If anything, the are probably largely sympathetic to their cause. How does hurting them advance the cause of Palestinian occupation?

I don't think they're saying its logical since its prefaced with "emotional" and saying how oppressed people can feel on the inside. If anything they're saying how it can be self rationalized due to emotional state.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsArabia_B/status/1713165881243496497

quote:

Our correspondent: Egypt refused to allow American citizenship holders to pass through the Rafah crossing unless an agreement included the entry of aid into the Gaza Strip.
I can't imagine Israel approving this anytime soon.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Kalit posted:

I'm assuming they would be using them to hide rockets from radar systems?
How does smoke hide things from radar? Also, what radar?

quote:

I hope you understand that these smoke projectiles are way different than the WP weapons used in Vietnam...
What are the differences?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Darko posted:

I don't think they're saying its logical since its prefaced with "emotional" and saying how oppressed people can feel on the inside. If anything they're saying how it can be self rationalized due to emotional state.

This is where I largely land on it too. I don't celebrate the deaths, but I can understand why someone who has been living in Gaza might take morbid joy from it, as horrific as it is. Same thing with "how could people vote for Hamas?"

It's similar to the idea that if you really, really try to understand the psychology of the Nazis you should come to the conclusion that there would have been *some* way that they could have made you sign up. Not as a true believer, but at least enough that you wouldn't stop it. Every person on this planet has some sort of pressure point, whether its your life, your family, your job, a mental illness, or just sheer ego. It just depends on how hard they can push. Denial of that is dangerously naive and leads you to being a prime target for it. You put a Palestinian in Gaza, with all the terrors and restrictions involved, and leave them there for 40 years. Is it *that* shocking that some might take a perverse glee about Israelis getting shot?

I mean, Jesus loving crist, half the USA has been watching the war in Ukraine like it's porn for the last year and making memes about dead russians over a conflict *they have no part in*. And they're doing it again for Gaza, which again, most of them have no connection to it other than they are OPFOR for a military ally!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is where I largely land on it too. I don't celebrate the deaths, but I can understand why someone who has been living in Gaza might take morbid joy from it, as horrific as it is. Same thing with "how could people vote for Hamas?"

It's similar to the idea that if you really, really try to understand the psychology of the Nazis you should come to the conclusion that there would have been *some* way that they could have made you sign up. Not as a true believer, but at least enough that you wouldn't stop it. Every person on this planet has some sort of pressure point, whether its your life, your family, your job, a mental illness, or just sheer ego. It just depends on how hard they can push. Denial of that is dangerously naive and leads you to being a prime target for it. You put a Palestinian in Gaza, with all the terrors and restrictions involved, and leave them there for 40 years. Is it *that* shocking that some might take a perverse glee about Israelis getting shot?

I mean, Jesus loving crist, half the USA has been watching the war in Ukraine like it's porn for the last year and making memes about dead russians over a conflict *they have no part in*. And they're doing it again for Gaza, which again, most of them have no connection to it other than they are OPFOR for a military ally!

It also helps when you've talked to people who have actually been oppressed and can listen to how much sympathy many of them have for those that oppressed them. I'm Gen X, so I could directly hear how my grandparents' peers who lived under Jim Crow felt about white people, or in going to South Africa, how much the (still) oppressed Zulu people feel about the people still oppressing them. Empathy drops a great deal for people that you feel are benefitting off of your suffering in a lot of those situations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I agree. The thing is and what I don't understand is why on earth would you bring up another tragedy during the discussion or whatever of one that just occurred where it was especially violent?

To me, it trivializes the tragedy and there's no need to do that at all. Nor does it minimize the conflict.

I mean, Hamas can hardly be blamed as the only one to conflate civilian and combatant.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean, Hamas can hardly be blamed as the only one to conflate civilian and combatant.

Of course, but that not the question being asked at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

The line of questioning itself seems irrelevant since the answer is always 'shut the gently caress up about Hamas until the occupation is dealt with'. Like, it's all horrendous poo poo but save your energy for root causes.