Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey Vic vote just went up to 48.3% with 30% counted.

ACT still yet might not stand alone as being not poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Grim images out of the Yes campaign

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Albo better at least do the voice through legislation so racists can cry about it being anti-democratic for the next decade or two.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
Can't wait for the uptick in outwardly racist poo poo after No wins.

Gonna be great.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Albo better at least do the voice through legislation so racists can cry about it being anti-democratic for the next decade or two.

It's delusional to think that the Fed gov will ever override a referendum. We'll just have Voices at the state level which makes me wonder why we ever passed the 1967 referendum.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if yes holds steady at 45% nationally that's about 10% better than I expected

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The 1999 referendum was something like 45-54 so thats why I pegged this as the same, given we had exactly the same partisan poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Recoome posted:

Grim images out of the Yes campaign

I haven't been following that closely but is there a reason why the Yes campaign seem to be sorta poo poo a messaging. Like most of the people I talked to seem to have little idea what the vote was about, and seemed to more just be going off facebook rumor mill more than anything else.

I had at least two co-workers come up to me and ask what the vote was about and what it meant constitutionally/legally. poo poo I was just doing a work placement so barely knew anyone, but as I was the only one vaguely political I got asked I guess :shrug:

Like it seems there really was a lot of people out there confused about what was happening, and looking for any sort of stright forward answer.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well, at least I had a couple months to get used to the idea of Yes failing

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It technically wouldn't be overriding a referendum, which is exactly the sort of bullshit that would send people into a tizzy, which is why they should do it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can the federal government put through legislation officially declaring that the majority of aussies are wankers?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not a chance, it's dead AF for now.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

gently caress this but glad most ppl here wanted yes to win

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A really shameful day in our history, I really hope future generations don't judge us too much for what we have collectively done today.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

congrats on the "officially racist country" status

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Recoome posted:

A really shameful day in our history, I really hope future generations don't judge us too much for what we have collectively done today.

Nah, I hope they do, because that means at some future point the idea of it not being a no-brainer yes is absurd.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
When they do I hope it's not in a loving dogshit country still called Australia. D2A.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I assume nothing good will come out of this result.

I hope the progressive Nos are happy and ready to get to work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I only managed to post my ballot off yesterday. So maybe when it finally arrives in Aus. then it, and it will make all the difference.

Edit: Actually the worst part of NO winning is the cookers and conspiracy theorists won, and learned an easy lesson on how they can reproduce that victory. (misinformation campaigns).

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 14, 2023

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

dr_rat posted:

I haven't been following that closely but is there a reason why the Yes campaign seem to be sorta poo poo a messaging. Like most of the people I talked to seem to have little idea what the vote was about, and seemed to more just be going off facebook rumor mill more than anything else.

I had at least two co-workers come up to me and ask what the vote was about and what it meant constitutionally/legally. poo poo I was just doing a work placement so barely knew anyone, but as I was the only one vaguely political I got asked I guess :shrug:

Like it seems there really was a lot of people out there confused about what was happening, and looking for any sort of stright forward answer.

The ultimate problem is that most people just don’t care about Indigenous Australians at the best of times.

Yes was never going to pass because it would require people to not be racist and put (false) economic, social, or legal concerns over Indigenous Australians getting some representation. It’s impossible to fight those concerns because they’re inherently irrational.

If it was going to pass, you would have to put the issue to a vote immediately and not give anyone time to campaign. Most people might give a very unenthusiastic Yes when posed the question but because they’re so unenthusiastic, it’s super easy to convince them to vote No because of some imagined issue.

Renaming Moreland City Council to Merri-bek City Council was overwhelming supported by the residents who bothered to response to the survey request (iirc like 10% bothered to respond) but I can tell you the number of people who whinge about the financial cost of renaming everything Moreland to Merri-bek is not insignificant. There were already signs of this in the council’s report where something like 90% of written submissions were objections.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 14, 2023

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
One good bit was on the ABC coverage (of course) paraphrased :

"And we turn now to the Sydney Electorate of Cook, Scott Morrison's old seat"

'Uh, his current seat Antony'

"Oh yes, his current seat"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I remember the one issue I brought up with people that they actually seemed interested in was talking about how the voice could help with issues like when the miners illegally dynamite that cave with traditional significance and what not.

As that's a pretty clear cut example of a big company intentionally being very poo poo and trying to get away with it that people did remember, would get a "oh yeah, if they're going to be helping with those sort of issues that sounds okay."

people generally do hate big companies being crap. Even if they do keep voting in the libs who love help big companies be crap.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

democracy does not work

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Referendums just suck because most people don’t understand enough about how government works.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm so glad albo died on this hill

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm so glad albo died on this hill

Yeah, gently caress him for listening to the Statement from the Heart. How very dare he.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Not even Victoria voted Yes, how wild

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah, looks like only place who ended up majority yes was ACT.

Sorta feel bad all the times I talked poo poo about Canberra now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1713119693509370061

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

congrats on the "officially racist country" status

And congrats to the ex-qld cop, who walked out on the stolen generation apology, leading the way.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Dutton blowing the dog whistle of child sexual abuse and indigenous spending only to be followed by Jacinta saying that Australia isn’t racist is some poo poo.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Captain Theron posted:

Yeah, gently caress him for listening to the Statement from the Heart. How very dare he.

:hai:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

million dollar mack posted:

Dutton blowing the dog whistle of child sexual abuse and indigenous spending only to be followed by Jacinta saying that Australia isn’t racist is some poo poo.

digging more coal out of the ground will bootstrap the indigenous communities into the stratosphere, much like the remains of indigenous cultural sites thanks to rio tinto and ziggy fuckface

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
why is dutton talking like he just won a federal election

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Captain Theron posted:

He has shown no intention of acting on treaty or truth and composed the (failed) voice in the weakest possible form.

gently caress him for not listening to it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gently caress Albo, to be sure.

But if this No leads to an upswing in Duttons popularity/electability, then truly God help us all.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Don't want to discount the obvious racism but the polling from NT is currently emphatically No, to the point I don't think you can wave it away as racism...

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

hooman posted:

He has shown no intention of acting on treaty or truth and composed the (failed) voice in the weakest possible form.

gently caress him for not listening to it.

Sure, go after him for that, but the Statement listed Voice first for a reason. And you can definitely blame him for running a poo poo campaign. But to blame him for giving this a go is nonsense. If we can't even get a weak Voice passed, there basically no chance of Truth or Treaty.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Don't want to discount the obvious racism but the polling from NT is currently emphatically No, to the point I don't think you can wave it away as racism...
Yeah, it will be interesting to see a booth by booth breakdown.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I was wondering about that, whats the current demographic breakdown of the NT?

And just checked the population and it about 245,000 and going by the abc results page and some quick maths looks like there's about 145,000 on the electoral role.

Edit: although looking at the other states, that percentage of people unenrolled doesn't actually seem particular high. Seems there's just far more people generally unenrolled than I thought.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

the mobile booths for the remote communities haven't reported back yet & they're where about 40% of the nt indigenous population is.