Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

it is a little funny how the first three milestones go Grand -> Big -> Large like it's getting less impressive each time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

turn off the TV posted:

yea but you don't get the pre-order theme on gamepass. it's hosed up.

Are those things even worth it? It is an extra map and some car models.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jewmanji posted:

I hope they put arcologies in the game. Except instead of making them a utopian endgame trigger like old times, they can be a dystopian Musk/Thiel disaster where half your population moves into an un-taxable offshore habitat.

As long as it implodes a few years later, possibly unleashing an army of mutants.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
11 days! :dance:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

VostokProgram posted:

it is a little funny how the first three milestones go Grand -> Big -> Large like it's getting less impressive each time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pr8xnNi7OM&t=22s

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

The release I'm most hyped about this year. Looking at Steam, I didn't actually put too many hours into the first game, but I'm hoping 2 scratches more of the simulation itch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking forward to it despite my complaints. For anyone complaining about the graphics, the beta people got a patch a few days ago that added high res textures and stuff and it looks way better.

Biffa shows it off a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qam2L1HAo&t=1698s

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I want to play Sea of Stars and Chained Memories anyway, so I'll buy a month of Gamepass and if CS2 is bad somehow I can play cool RPGs until they unfuck it

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm looking forward to it despite my complaints. For anyone complaining about the graphics, the beta people got a patch a few days ago that added high res textures and stuff and it looks way better.

Biffa shows it off a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qam2L1HAo&t=1698s

Wow, that looks so good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

err posted:

Wow, that looks so good.

All kinds of little improvements in there too, like motorcycles have proper animations now.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Posting to register my excitement at the excitement registry department.

I wonder if I should do a burgsville whatevertown first to feel it out or go for a mountain valley chain of villages along a river from the get go. With scary mountain roads for the bravest motorists. There are traffic accidents now, right? I wonder if they'll take a tumble off a cliffside in case of a crash.

Though vanilla elevations are a bit naff, I don't think I've seen any retaining wall type stuff from any of the videos. Nor sheer cliffs.

Anyone already sketching layouts and town concepts for what your first town is going to be like?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Biffa just uploaded a 45 minute video where he talks about his impression of CS2 so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHlGVR1CsU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

For anyone complaining about the graphics, the beta people got a patch a few days ago that added high res textures and stuff and it looks way better.

As one of those people that was complaining, it has been nice to see them rolling out some of these graphic updates. One of my big complaints was shadow fidelity and they addressed that as well.

I think there are still a few things that are more stylistic decisions that are annoying me, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. The game looks a LOT better than it did even a month ago, which I was not expecting given that we're now just days from launch. It has certainly reassured me that they're committed to addressing non-gameplay issues where they can spare the resources and that makes me much more interested in picking it up knowing they'll continue releasing updates (at least, hopefully).

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

lagidnam posted:

Biffa just uploaded a 45 minute video where he talks about his impression of CS2 so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHlGVR1CsU

Seems promising. Lots of peoples' concerns are missing QOL stuff and comparing it to CS1 with years of mods/assets/updates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A brief FAQ regarding mods and performance

Biggest thing of note is that Steam Workshop is out, mods will be distributed through Paradox's mod platform, ostensibly so they're universal across different stores and platforms and so they can hook up an in-game mod browser better.

As expected, consoles will have asset mods but not code-modification mods, while PC will have both.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 16, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

Biggest thing of note is that Steam Workshop is out, mods will be distributed through Paradox's mod platform, ostensibly so they're universal across different stores and platforms and so they can hook up an in-game mod browser better.

As expected, consoles will have asset mods but not code-modification mods, while PC will have both.

1. Really happy for console users, even if its only asset mods, their lack of workshop mods was a big drag for them (although led a lot of creativity on their part to fill in the gaps with assets)

2. Really hope the CO mod platform is better suited for the game than Steam's. Steam's is such a pain in the rear end at times, and you end up subscribing to hundreds (thousands?) of individual mods with no easy controls on working with your now-vast mod collection. Then an author takes down their mod and everyone's saves break.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I also hope if they have access to customise the mod browsing system they can maybe set things up so you can see and filter with more meaningful information and classification about assets than the relatively simple categories the steam system allowed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piratepilates posted:

2. Really hope the CO mod platform is better suited for the game than Steam's. Steam's is such a pain in the rear end at times, and you end up subscribing to hundreds (thousands?) of individual mods with no easy controls on working with your now-vast mod collection. Then an author takes down their mod and everyone's saves break.

i have bad news for you

https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/games/cities_skylines

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

Would asset mods include stuff like culdesac ends for the roads, or would that mean changing the code too?

Are assets strictly reskins?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"No worse than Steam Workshop" is a low, low bar to clear, but yeah I doubt they will clear it by much.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Would asset mods include stuff like culdesac ends for the roads, or would that mean changing the code too?

Are assets strictly reskins?

Since roads have gotten a major rework in how they are built and rendered, cul-de-sac ends for roads is probably a bad example that's not going to be remotely comparable.

Assets can probably be most things that don't change the rules, but can be defined entirely with "data". So new 3D models and textures for buildings, new lot layouts, new stats for lots, new vehicle models, new trees, perhaps also transit-enabled lots like a bus station that connects to the road network, but that's getting into the questionable territory.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeJF posted:

Have the streamers been complaining about performance issues? Kind of a weird FAQ to (apparently) acknowledge that the performance sucks without any PR spin and just say yeah we are working on it.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Bold Robot posted:

Have the streamers been complaining about performance issues? Kind of a weird FAQ to (apparently) acknowledge that the performance sucks without any PR spin and just say yeah we are working on it.

I think performance is one of the things they might not be allowed to talk about yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume it's a response to the backlash when they updated the recommended specs to a 3080.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

nielsm posted:

Since roads have gotten a major rework in how they are built and rendered, cul-de-sac ends for roads is probably a bad example that's not going to be remotely comparable.

I used that example because a lot of the content creator videos has complained about having to use small roundabouts as the end of cul-de-sacs in the current build, and how they hope modders will fix it.

Maybe they will be added to the official game any way, seeing as I've seen it come up multiple times.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

I think performance is one of the things they might not be allowed to talk about yet.

biffa talks about it a bit in his last video but im not sure how much he can talk about the downsides. Basically he said he wasn't having problems when they dropped the finalized textures.

based on the FAQ it seems it's probably certain features not playing nice with certain hardware, so it'll be a jungle of everyone figuring out what works for their setup.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

"No worse than Steam Workshop" is a low, low bar to clear, but yeah I doubt they will clear it by much.

Note that Vicky 3 uses steam workshop, so good chance they'll faceplant straight into the bar and crash groaning under it as the first significant game to use Paradox's own setup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So all I need is the kind of 22nd century rig biffa doubtless has and all will be well.

More seriously I expect the game will be cool and good but for those of us without cutting edge gaming rigs, we'll hit Dwarf Fortress-like FPS death when the city gets past medium size.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 16, 2023

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Maps are big but only a part is playable.
Hardware requirements are high.
Content creators aren't allowed to talk about the performance.
Cinematic mode looks ten times better then the normal game.
This can only mean one thing.

THE POOP AGENTS ARE BACK!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I haven't been following CS2 news fully, are they going to feed us QOL stuff that was found in the DLC from 1 the same way, or is a lot of it included in the base CS2 game? I know stuff like water pipes attaching to roads, but a lot of the assets included in the DLC were nice to have

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

lagidnam posted:

Content creators aren't allowed to talk about the performance.
That sure is a good sign.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Poil posted:

It's likely not a super bad sign.

Test builds are constantly in flux and if they keep removing and adding things at last minute every day, sometimes performance tanks. Having some streamer go "boooo my frames went super down" the day after you introduce a new highway asset and forgot the LODs is just lovely and doesn't help anyone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Poil posted:

They've been very strict about what people can talk about, but the embargo ends this week. Also that isn't exactly true, Biffa's last video talked performance a bit and he said it wasn't stressing his system too much. Performance discussion about a beta has little value anyway.

Nervous about the whole Paradox Mods concept since the workshop works so well. But I'm happy to hear literally anything about mods, and I'd heard rumor that some modders had early access and were already working on stuff so nice to see that was true.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

It's likely not a super bad sign.

Test builds are constantly in flux and if they keep removing and adding things at last minute every day, sometimes performance tanks. Having some streamer go "boooo my frames went super down" the day after you introduce a new highway asset and forgot the LODs is just lovely and doesn't help anyone.

Yeah, the fact that they rolled out a massive graphics change a few days ago, well after the creators got started, is a good example of why certain things aren't meaningful until very close, because that would've changed a lot of things with performance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

City Planner Plays talked about why he hasn't mentioned performance, he used to work as a game tester and optimization is the last step so game performance changes wildly in the last few weeks before release.

I think it was also Biffa that mentioned all the people with beta access have a Discord and they talk about the game there, and some of them have PCs that are below minimum spec and are still playing it fine.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

City Planner Plays talked about why he hasn't mentioned performance, he used to work as a game tester and optimization is the last step so game performance changes wildly in the last few weeks before release.

I think it was also Biffa that mentioned all the people with beta access have a Discord and they talk about the game there, and some of them have PCs that are below minimum spec and are still playing it fine.

CPP bought a bunch of gear, various manufacturers, from old processors and GPUs all the way up to modern high end stuff, as well as various amounts of RAM. His plan is to create savepoints at various sizes of city and test it with a specific camera movement on the different gear. I presume this is when the embargo lifts as they'd be on a version that's pretty much close to what it is when it launches. It should give some indication.

Although I agree with what someone said earlier. I think the problems will come when you build a massive city. And I've said it before that that's why I think it's being pushed back on consoles. I imagine they did testing, or the consoles did, and they said "Yeah, nah. This doesn't run like it should on big cities. You're gonna have to rethink."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mrenda posted:

CPP bought a bunch of gear, various manufacturers, from old processors and GPUs all the way up to modern high end stuff, as well as various amounts of RAM. His plan is to create savepoints at various sizes of city and test it with a specific camera movement on the different gear. I presume this is when the embargo lifts as they'd be on a version that's pretty much close to what it is when it launches. It should give some indication.

Oh yeah I saw that earlier. It's going to be a monster test.

quote:

Now, I want to address the second half of the message as much as I can @everyone. I have been anticipating this message for a little bit, I have decided to put together a hardware guide for CS2. But I don't want this to be a super general look at the settings, I want to be bring you all more value.

It's really easy for me to say the game is playable on my PC, but I know that you PC players have a variety hardware of a variety of strengths. and because of that, I have picked up a variety of budget and midrange gear to supplement the equipment that I already have to cities of a variety of sizes across a variety of hardware.

I want to give a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thank you to all of the @Planning Intern (Patreon Tier 1) , @Developer (Patreon Tier 2 & 3), and @Associate Planner (YouTube Member) for providing me both the financial support to take such a plunge of a video - this is, without a doubt - the most expensive video I have ever put together. In addition, they provided guidance on the type of equipment they would like to see the game tested on.

To that end, this is what we're looking at:

CPUs
Intel i3 2100 (my old unraid server), Ryzen 5 2600x, Ryzen 5 3600, Ryzen 5 5600X, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Ryzen 9 7950X3d

GPUs
GTX Series: 970, 1650, 1660S,
RTX Series: 2060 3060 TI, 3080 TI, 4080, 4090
AMD: RX 580, RX 6600
Intel: Arc A750

RAM
DDR3: 8gb
DDR4: 16gb, 32gb, 64gb
DDR5: 48gb, 96gb

Other Systems
Steam Deck (docked and undocked)
M2 Mac Studio (Parallels and Crossover)

If I have time...
Galaxy Book Pro w/Evo GPU AND eGPU
The OG Bluffside Crossing machine, an old Dell XPS with eGPU

Methodology
In each of these, I'll be pulling up a city that I created over the weekend at a variety of population points (10k, 25k, 50k, and 100k) and looking at fixed points in the city, a camera track, and general movement and benchmarking Afterburner. I will attempt to tune to get each of the builds running at 30FPS steady and share the configs and settings in a Google Doc when I release the video.

Final Thoughts
Really hoping that you all find this video valuable. This is the main reason I've decided to pause posting content - this is a monster of a video. This is basically the steam deck video I put out on steroids, so hopefully I can stick the landing. Thanks for your support everyone!

I personally thought it was a good sign when the requirements went up since they seem to be planning for people to play this game for years and years. With CS1 they had no idea what the response was going to be. It's full of hard limits that are pretty easy to run into and kill your city if you play too long. CS2 not having those is a positive. They mentioned removing the agents limit already, not anything about the others but I'm assuming that also means stuff like the node limit are gone. I hope.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Thinking of getting CS2, will it have good support for building walkable/cycleable/transit heavy cities from the get go?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mila kunis posted:

Thinking of getting CS2, will it have good support for building walkable/cycleable/transit heavy cities from the get go?

Should be better than OG CS. You can even have zones on streets that only support utility vehicles and the public has to use walking or trams or etc, you can configure what occupies the street width and have most or all being a big promenade.

The one big thing missing is bikes, though. That's pretty blatantly probably going to be the first expansion.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Can you have pedestrian only streets/public commons?