Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The way you predict when you need preventative maintenance is the look at the odometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It will be so much easier to maintain and issue all of this kit when it's all rusted to poo poo and there's a war on.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well now that we aren't maintaining beyond the technical bare minimum lets cut all those no longer necessary support roles and let the free market solve that problem. In the name of efficiency of course.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

you know if I was paying attention, each new governing system or process switching to operating as if there is no tomorrow to worry about might cause me some concern

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

Well now that we aren't maintaining beyond the technical bare minimum lets cut all those no longer necessary support roles and let the free market solve that problem. In the name of efficiency of course.

You have to be some sort of wild conspiracy theorist to think they would rely on contractors for primary maintenance!

Wait a minute, I'm getting a phone call... what's that?...mhm...yes Sir....I understand...

All REMFs will be replaced with PMC starting next week for our lean digital 21st century military, Presented by LockMart™️

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Weren’t people giving Russia poo poo for doing exactly this with their vehicles? The money even getting funneled to oligarch and high ranking officers dachas and yachts.

Also lol a guy named Isenhower made it to command. Like of the rest of the empire, a cheap imitation of the older better thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Weren’t people giving Russia poo poo for doing exactly this with their vehicles? The money even getting funneled to oligarch and high ranking officers dachas and yachts.

Also lol a guy named Isenhower made it to command. Like of the rest of the empire, a cheap imitation of the older better thing.

his father, James P Isenhower Jr, was a major in the army too lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

The Isenhower thing kills me.

But yeah, this is some Mickey Mouse bullshit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Well at least in the US the money isn't getting funneled to dachas and yachts, it's getting invested in NoVa housing and Aspen ski vacations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

skooma512 posted:

The Russians at least kept it around for a rainy day, I think the American stuff is just going to be eventually dumped. Granted, does the MIC really want to have a bunch of reserve equipment, giving them some competition in inventory, or the DoD constantly making room for the latest and greatest? Of course all that equipment is going to have teething problems...and the DoD just needs to throw more money to contractors to sort it out of course.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
they'll offload as much of it as they can to police departments, where it will mostly sit and rot because they've all already got a couple MRAPs sitting around

even my nation's tribal police has an MRAP now, lol, they keep desperately trying to find justifications for it existing like driving it around during flash floods as a 'rescue vehicle' because of its high ground clearance

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A bunch of Americans famously drowned in Afghanistan because their MRAPS either fell off bridges or rolled from embankments.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We've got this in the bag.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Their shipyards are nearly all dual-use, and I am pretty sure there are contingency plans for the rest of it.

Honestly, the only real thing they are lacking is oil and iron.

Things impossible to source outside of the new world....

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

We've got this in the bag.

Even our white phosphorus has gone communist.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Things impossible to source outside of the new world....

The US' big ploy is to cut off trade through the SCS, but a big part of the BRI and associated projects has been to find alternative sources in Eurasia itself. China already has an oil pipeline to Kazakhstan and Russia beyond their gas projects.

Also, switching to electric cars gives China more room to play with since they domestically have enough coal power to handle the load along with their renewable projects.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

e: wrong thread

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah there is endless debate because "no way" could rail handle most of it when in all honesty, China is importing a ton of scrap metal and sitting at least some of it. Remember a while back there was a controversy that China was just smelting nickel for "no reason" and it shouldn't count towards their growth? Metal can be stockpiled indefinitely. Otherwise, yeah and the Russians are right there.

------------

Also maintaining vehicles on "usage" probably is just a sign they are going to let more and more of their vehicles "go." I don't think preforming basic maintenance on a vehicle every 6 months is really that unnecessary unless your just going to ignore it because of manpower issues and bloated costs. I imagine it is probably going to affect equipment for the National Guard and reservists the most.

It is saying something too compared to how aggressive the US is being at the moment.

I drove by the local armory the other day, and there was a new innovation in their motor park--a party tent.

It was not over the vehicles, which were still uncovered, it was over a dumpster.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Can we change the thread title to 'The US is losing WW3'?

Europe was threatened to toe the line when Nord Stream was sabotaged. Their reaction to what's happening in Gaza is kind of mind melting, I feel like reality itself is melting before me. I thought I was 'seeing through' reality already, but now I realized I was just seeing myself into some other cage.

Philosophy is a busy box. SYQ is a busy box.

Now my life is hell because I have to force myself into being hypernormalized just to get my drat work done, and I actually get a sense of real pride in my work.

Is this hyperrealization?

(should probably put this in the mental health thread)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorBooty posted:

Europe was threatened to toe the line when Nord Stream was sabotaged. Their reaction to what's happening in Gaza is kind of mind melting, I feel like reality itself is melting before me. I thought I was 'seeing through' reality already, but now I realized I was just seeing myself into some other cage.

Philosophy is a busy box. SYQ is a busy box.

Now my life is hell because I have to force myself into being hypernormalized just to get my drat work done, and I actually get a sense of real pride in my work.

Is this hyperrealization?

(should probably put this in the mental health thread)

well, i was with you for the first two paragraphs so you're mostly fine

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Europe was threatened to toe the line when Nord Stream was sabotaged. Their reaction to what's happening in Gaza is kind of mind melting,

not to melt your brain much more, but can you explain? I’m not sure how Gaza is unfolding other than the headlines

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

not to melt your brain much more, but can you explain? I’m not sure how Gaza is unfolding other than the headlines

I think what ProfessorBooty is saying is that Europe is following America's lead on allowing Israel to genocide the Palestinians because Nordstream was the explicit threat that Europe is not allowed to step out of line

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ProfessorBooty posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ardennes posted:

Their shipyards are nearly all dual-use, and I am pretty sure there are contingency plans for the rest of it.

Honestly, the only real thing they are lacking is oil and iron.

of course they’re dual use. the nazis had dual use shipyards too, after all

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fart simpson posted:

right now western shipyards are dual use too

dual use as dink yuppie playgrounds

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

poisonpill posted:

Yeah dude - so this is kind of a trip, and is almost 100% conjecture / conspiracy brain. I read words in news articles and I read closely in independent media (Such as Hersch), but in general, I really just try to pay attention to 'vibes' now, the emotion of the media apparatus, the emotion of those around me, the emotion of social media. So I'm not going to provide any sources or quotations, just my personal thought journey as things have unfolded since 2016.

So naturally, we must start in 2022.

Russia is running up to invading Ukraine. The US MIC is freaking out. They are warning us that it's going to happen, there are Russian troops gathering at the border. This is going to happen.

Then it happened.

I found that concerning - they didn't lie. In my mind I was thinking maybe they were getting us ready for it, or maybe they were trying to spin up social media so when it happened all the emotion would be diminished (manufacturing consent). But instead they start going insane. They didn't lie, though. Russia was preparing to invade Ukraine.

That's the thing that I really clung to. They said a thing that was going to happen, and it happened exactly like that. I know there are other times this is true, naturally, but it felt different this time.

Go back to Trump getting elected. Everywhere we hear that he is Putin's Puppet, they start going insane. I wasn't so committed to much of anything back then because I was like 'Trump president lol' but when I look in retrospect, the rhetoric wasn't much different. They were probably telling the truth, out of desperation.

A lot of the media apparatus is based on desperation now. Old people are loving dying and they never bothered to raise the next generation. We have an entire generation of adults whose only effective outlet is to scream 'Somebody do something!', and that's just what we do now. Politicians do it now. They're too old to walk so their aides write their stupid tweets.

So Ukraine happens. I don't know the details, but Germany and Russia have some agreement to keep the fuel flowing. Nord Stream gets blow'd up, Hersch breaks news that it was a US attack ( https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/how-america-took-out-the-nord-stream ) (There, that is my one source), and ..... Nothing. The fact we don't talk about it makes it clear to me that it's absolutely true. I suppose I would say that there is some possibility that some billionaire did it, but if they did, they would do it through some government's resources anyway, and the US is all about lovely secret ops.

Now we are in this new hell in Gaza/Israel (I have a hard time using the term 'Israel' because I feel that it is disrespectful to Judaism, Israel will be delivered to the Jews by the Messiah, and it feels itchy to imply that the United States is the savior to the Jews. Not a Jew but I've always been nonreligious while always trying to respect other religions to the best of my ability, yes this is bias) and the media's rhetoric is going crazy again. Maybe I should just stay out of the I/P thread.

When this insanity in the media happens, I just get this 'Putin' vibe, they don't go this crazy unless there's some actual threat. I always thought of Europe as stuck between everything and trying to generally just get along and enjoy their retirement from empire, but now it's obvious to me that there is a very specific reason that their rights to freedom of speech wasn't codified - it helps with arresting protestors, which is happening now (it could be overblown? I've been doom scrolling which blurs things). The United States put a gun to Europe's head and maybe they are desperately trying to avoid getting nuked when this all goes down. Arresting protestors is a way to beg the US to keep them out of all of this (I think there is some actual fascism / zionism happening, but we have to admit that everyone is hypernormalized now, they've been primed to connect Zionism to the Holocaust for years now).

In the US, the 1st amendment has been taken care of. You put it in the 'POLITICAL' basket, the 'CUTE FUN' basket, or the 'LET'S ANALYZE SOMETHING STUPID' basket.

'POLITICAL' -> Climate Change, Ukraine War, Women's Bodily Autonomy.
'CUTE FUN' -> Puppy videos and poo poo.
'LET'S ANALYZE SOMETHING STUPID' -> Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Other Things should just be forgotten, which I think is the general go-to Millennial coping mechanism. They get pushed to the bottom of internet results until they are no longer dangerous.

So, suffice to say, we've been having ongoing 5th generation warfare for a while, and I don't think Putin is good, he used to be in the KGB for crying out loud, but his political maneuverings have been pretty impressive, if Trump -> Putin Puppet is true, every major world event of the past several years have been Win/Win for him. I mean, gently caress, the democrats shot themselves in the face to put Biden in the office, that's incredibly lucky for Putin (and I think this is an actual lucky event for him). What's happening with the IDF / Hamas? Total win/win for him. If every single Palestinian is murdered, that's good for him. If it is stopped by neighboring countries, it's good for him. If it's stopped by the United States, it's good for him. He might also see the insanity and is just giving little nudges.

Here's the thing, the United States is the only country that has proven it is willing to nuke population centers. I hope this is not a controversial statement. You can't fight the United States, you can only force it to collapse.

Obviously I didn't talk about BRICS and the fact the United States is going to very soon lose it's access to cheap energy. Maybe Nord Stream was to tell Europe, 'We die together'.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Obviously I didn't talk about BRICS and the fact the United States is going to very soon lose it's access to cheap energy. Maybe Nord Stream was to tell Europe, 'We die together'.

The energy geopolitics of Russia, Western Europe, and the United States are absolutely fascinating and I could ramble at length about them, but essentially, yes, you're right.

A Year of Lying About Nord Stream, Seymour Hersh posted:

The Biden administration blew up the pipelines but the action had little to do with winning or stopping the war in Ukraine. It resulted from fears in the White House that Germany would waver and turn on the flow of Russia gas—and that Germany and then NATO, for economic reasons, would fall under the sway of Russia and its extensive and inexpensive natural resources. And thus followed the ultimate fear: that America would lose its long-standing primacy in Western Europe.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

S/B "The US has already lost WW3"

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

sullat posted:

S/B "The US has already lost WW3"

Hey enjoy the eclipse 😉

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I don't get it. If the USA is successfully forcing the EU to serve as it's shield and cannon fodder, isn't that an indication that the USA is effectively shielding itself so that it doesn't lose or even send troops to these ongoing conflicts?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Votskomit posted:

I don't get it. If the USA is successfully forcing the EU to serve as it's shield and cannon fodder, isn't that an indication that the USA is effectively shielding itself so that it doesn't lose or even send troops to these ongoing conflicts?

they’re sending carriers to back up israel right now. someone’s gonna take a shot at one of them eventually.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Votskomit posted:

D.C. and their masters failed to control narratives long ago. They watch the news and react in the same way we do.

Edit: What I mean is they only know how to react. There is no plan.

Edit 2: There won't be (imperial) ground forces. America's enemies will avoid that intentionally. 5th generation war. Think mass shootings.

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Oct 14, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Alright, the US is parking two aircraft carriers in the med to support Israel doing a genocide and Iran is saying they're going to "get involved" if Israel goes into Gaza on the ground.

What are Hezbollah and Iran's antiship capabilities like now?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fart simpson posted:

Not all shipyards can be just swung back and forth, you need personnel competent enough to be able to produce both types of ships.

The Oldest Man posted:

Alright, the US is parking two aircraft carriers in the med to support Israel doing a genocide and Iran is saying they're going to "get involved" if Israel goes into Gaza on the ground.

What are Hezbollah and Iran's antiship capabilities like now?

Both of them have C-802 anti-ship missiles, with a range of about 150-200km, enough to keep the US directly off the coast but obviously the US has longer range on its F-18s. That said, drone tech has been advancing pretty quickly and it is unclear if they may have longer-range suicide drones (or usenwater-based drones the Ukrainians have been using.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Oct 15, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1713327920612089905 lol france wants in on this rapidly spiraling clusterfuck

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Both of them have C-802 anti-ship missiles, with a range of about 150-200km, enough to keep the US directly off the coast but obviously the US has longer range on its F-18s. That said, drone tech has been advancing pretty quickly and it is unclear if they may have longer-range suicide drones (or usenwater-based drones the Ukrainians have been using.)

I know the Shahed-136 has a range of like 1200 mi but I dunno about targeting and navigation. Inertial and gps guided prop drone doesn't seem that useful against a carrier group.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

I know the Shahed-136 has a range of like 1200 mi but I dunno about targeting and navigation. Inertial and gps guided prop drone doesn't seem that useful against a carrier group.

It probably would be more useful for random US bases across the region. That said, there are probably drones specifically designed to counter naval defenses.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Oct 15, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going by experience of the black sea fleet, and generally how hosed up naval combat is.

There's room for surprise.

If the ship crew is caught napping, if they don't spot the threat in time, if they're not ready with the damage control equipment and procedures.

It's a lot of ifs, but they do make a difference between not being able to touch those ships and one of them slinking back home or even going down.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Going by experience of the black sea fleet, and generally how hosed up naval combat is.

If the ship crew is caught napping, if they don't spot the threat in time, if they're not ready with the damage control equipment and procedures.

It's a lot of ifs, but they do make a difference between not being able to touch those ships and one of them slinking back home or even going down.

good thing mossad and the idf just took a world historical L. it would be against the rules based international order for that to be anything other than a fluke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

The US Navy has a hard time not sinking its own ships when nobody is shooting at them