Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

picked up lords of the fallen, i'm able to brute force it with framegen. man, kinda highlights how framegen and DLSS aren't a panacea for stutter and frame pacing issues. i'm averaging 140 but the stutter makes it unpleasant to play.

not sure what's causing it - there's a hefty load time at launch which i'd figure would be shader comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Finally received the Proart 4070 ti I got through work and man it's one beautiful piece of industrial design

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

It’s not just CS2 either, ban waves going out for apex and COD too.

Just lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

gradenko_2000 posted:

Seems like it's very bad for PR to have your competitive-enhancing anti-latency feature causing you to get banned for no fault of your own

Not if you're an AMD marketing genius. By getting latency reduction banned, we can show that Reflex was an ILLEGAL CHEAT all along, Nvidia is FOR CHEATERS, and AMD is the only honorable GPU brand.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

Not if you're an AMD marketing genius. By getting latency reduction banned, we can show that Reflex was an ILLEGAL CHEAT all along, Nvidia is FOR CHEATERS, and AMD is the only honorable GPU brand.

Sure, guy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-30-afmf-tech-preview

:rip: HWUB who literally just published their video on the old version

the quality of the generated frames probably hasn't changed though

they can fix the frame pacing, and maybe they can work on the latency, and they could maybe even work on the basic contradiction that AFMF turns itself off just when you might "need" it more, but fundamentally as long as it's a driver-level feature I don't see how AFMF can avoid the issues with the excessive blur and the UI elements being distorted because to hurdle those would mean integration with the game... which means it wouldn't be a driver-level feature

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Lol

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

K8.0 posted:

This is just hysterical politics-style discourse now

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

K8.0 posted:

God I love Fanboy's.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol lords of the fallen disabled nvidia framegen "until our collaboration with NVIDIA allows us to deliver more stable drivers."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

change my name posted:

Finally received the Proart 4070 ti I got through work and man it's one beautiful piece of industrial design
My TUF OC 4070 also has a great industrial design. ASUS at least giving you something for the premium

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Banned in CS2, Apex and CoD? Lol who has time to talk implementation with those tiny indie shops, we're out here making it happen with Forspoken and... Avernus? Avernum? That game with 10 average players.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Icept posted:

Banned in CS2, Apex and CoD? Lol who has time to talk implementation with those tiny indie shops, we're out here making it happen with Forspoken and... Avernus? Avernum? That game with 10 average players.

Eagerly awaiting the Jeff Vogel turn based RPG remake of a CRPG from 35 years ago that incorporates frame generation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Eagerly awaiting the Jeff Vogel turn based RPG remake of a CRPG from 35 years ago that incorporates frame generation

Avernum getting a RT Overdrive and frame gen mode would honestly kick rear end. It could be the next BG3!!!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Avernum getting a RT Overdrive and frame gen mode would honestly kick rear end. It could be the next BG3!!!

I would love to see what would happen if someone gave Vogel eight figures to go make a next gen CRPG.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

I'm here for it

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

LRADIKAL posted:

Sure, guy.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This is just hysterical politics-style discourse now

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

God I love Fanboy's.
good work K8.0

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

so long, nvidia! i detour the D3D DLLs and create a huge cloud of marketing spin. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

hooking D3D functions is a grey area that anticheats have to tolerate to a degree because that's how things like the steam overlay or OBS work, but hooking internal engine functions like valve says AMD is doing is 100% going to get you flagged

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah I love AMD
Always
Messy
Drivers

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Any good resources for selecting a quiet video card? Or should I just shell out for those Asus/Noctua cards?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

Also even CNN might report on their latency reduction stuff if they make enough of a mess!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most cards with a big, oversized cooler will be quiet. Don't get the noctua cards, they're stupidly overpriced.

A big factor in graphics card noise though is your case. If you have a case with limited airflow, your card will run hot and loud. A case that can keep your card well-fed with cool air will allow your card to not spin its fans as aggressively.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

I would love to see what would happen if someone gave Vogel eight figures to go make a next gen CRPG.

Avernum with 4K textures and mo cap, and Jeff retiring to an island.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

wash bucket posted:

Any good resources for selecting a quiet video card? Or should I just shell out for those Asus/Noctua cards?
msi cards have a literal quiet mode switch. i think some asus cards might as well, but they may or may not be more prone to coil whine. it's a little hard to suss out from the overrepresentation of coil whine reports

msi have announced a refresh of all the 40-series cards through the ventus 3X *E* and gaming x *slim* series, but they haven't actually released the 4080 and 4090 yet afaict, even though the announcement is over a month ago. in general, there's a lot of companies that have announced new versions of their cards lately, maybe in anticipation of christmas shopping. but cards like the asus proart 4080 has thermal issues due to the slimmed down cooling solution, so not all revisions are great, unless you're some purely aesthetic/sff use case

the pcb on the lower-end cards like 4070 is so small and the power efficiency so good that it's pretty easy to cool regardless

and if you through a 75-80% power limit on the card regardless, you'll get more or less the same performance at a lower temperature and noise level anyway

i'm thinking of just picking up a 4080 fe because i'm tired of msi figuring out whether they're paper launching the refreshed series or not

i like msi cards because they both tend to be quiet, cool, and also the smallest when you're trying to fit these transistor shoeboxes in your case. but as long as the 4080 fe i'm ordering has shorter pins on the power connector to avoid a sudden smell of burnt plastic, i might just say whatever and pick it up and power limit it to 80%. fe's are always good for resell value

e: this bench of noise and thermals isn't exhaustive, but it gives you a good idea of the variance depending on what you go with: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4080-gaming-x-trio/37.html

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 14, 2023

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kliras posted:

msi cards have a literal quiet mode switch. i think some asus cards might as well, but they may or may not be more prone to coil whine. it's a little hard to sus out from the overrepresentation of coil whine reports

msi have announced a refresh of all the 40-series cards through the ventus 3X *E* and gaming x *slim* series, but they haven't actually released the 4080 and 4090 yet afaict, even though the announcement is over a month ago. in general, there's a lot of companies that have announced new versions of their cards lately, maybe in anticipation of christmas shopping. but cards like the asus proart 4080 has thermal issues due to the slimmed down cooling solution, so not all revisions are great, unless you're some purely aesthetic/sff use case

The 4090 Slim is currently available on Newegg for $1710 USD. I was thinking of just saving up my money for a 4090 but will wait for in-depth reviews of these slim cards. The prcing also irks me as they should cut the price a little as the cooler is small but :capitalism:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

might consider an AIO 4090 if you really want a "small" and cool card

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

MH Knights posted:

The 4090 Slim is currently available on Newegg for $1710 USD. I was thinking of just saving up my money for a 4090 but will wait for in-depth reviews of these slim cards. The prcing also irks me as they should cut the price a little as the cooler is small but :capitalism:
oh interesting. at least we might get a review of some sort eventually

nothing here in europe so far afaict

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
is there any consensus here on waterblocks for gpus? are they good/worth it? specific brands to look for? I've never had one, but the idea is appealing to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MH Knights posted:

The smaller cooler might not actually be cheaper to make if they’re doing smaller quantities or if raw materials cost doesn’t dominate cooler cost (as I suspect).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Subjunctive posted:

The smaller cooler might not actually be cheaper to make if they’re doing smaller quantities or if raw materials cost doesn’t dominate cooler cost (as I suspect).

Yeah, a lot of the larger coolers try to minimize the amount of aluminum and/or copper used, by adding as many heat pipes as can reasonably fit, then maximizing radiative surface area with accompanying fans. And it’s perfectly fine/reasonable to do so.

Manufacturers could also just go the big slab of copper/aluminum/whatever approach, which might slightly reduce fan sizes but could really slim up the cooler. Alternatively they could also try to implement a valid chamber approach. Either would cost more relative to the standard heat pipe approach.

Or they’re still doing a modified heat pipe and just went “lol it’s slim, pay more”, which wouldn’t surprise me these days. I haven’t personally read up on the Slim series so far, but it’d be interesting to see what approach they took.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Can anyone tell me why vsynch is disabled when nvidia frame generation is turned on?

For the two games I've used it on now there's been really bad screen tear while I'm playing them.

I'm hooked up to an old 50" samsung smart TV via HDMI so I dunno if that's got something to do with the tearing.

Things run really well on the higher graphics settings except for the tearing which gets pretty noticeable at times, so it's I kinda annoying that vsynch gets turned off.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Frame generation would actually be great in BG3. It doesn’t *need* to run over 30 fps and if you’re getting constant drops in act 3, inserting extra frames in would go a long way towards making it feel smoother

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
larian haven't even shipped fsr2, and their dlss version is ancient, i wonder what's up with the whole upscaling situation

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They promised it by the end of August and it hasn't materialized at all. It's a minor quibble really and not exactly damning of Larian as they have actually been doing frequent large patches for the game so far. I'm sure there's a good reason it's taken them a bit longer than they initially promised

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

change my name posted:

Frame generation would actually be great in BG3. It doesn’t *need* to run over 30 fps and if you’re getting constant drops in act 3, inserting extra frames in would go a long way towards making it feel smoother

PureDark has a frame gen mod for BG3 and it works fine. There's some caveats though.
It's DX11 so his DX implementation converts calls to DX12 which results in a huge hit to performance, you end up at overall higher frame rates with framegen but not enough imo.

The Vulkan mode seems to work much better since it's not converting anything. Vulkan is less performant than DX11 for Nvidia cards but with frame gen you end up significantly higher.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

hark posted:

is there any consensus here on waterblocks for gpus? are they good/worth it? specific brands to look for? I've never had one, but the idea is appealing to me.

They are awesome, I have my 4090 founders under a ekwb full cover block, I've been water cooling CPU+GPU in a custom loop for something like 6 years now. But "worth it" definitely requires a bit more motivation/investment than just "appealing".

Also the performance isn't really the point, although at full load 430w my 4090 tops off around high 50 to low 60C core with upper 60C hot spot temps, but what actually matters is the massive amount of radiator space I have hooked up means it maintains these decent temps without ever hearing the fans spin up.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Psssh water blocks are for amateurs (unmute)

https://i.imgur.com/lreZ0Pc.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Psssh water blocks are for amateurs (unmute)

https://i.imgur.com/lreZ0Pc.mp4

Lmao hell yeah.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Rinkles posted:

why does the text look like it's been upscaled? (i checked, that's what the source video looks like)

Because it is.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1421917451684564993?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What the hell software are they using that can't export a 4k chart image?