Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hows the beta currently? Got a sick day and was wondering if its worth playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
A big update for beta is supposed to drop this week. Probably on Thursday. Supposedly it should be feature complete unlike the current beta.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

There's a lot of good stuff in it, but it's also got a lot of broken stuff. And the beta dropping this week should add an absolute ton of good stuff. It's a great time to mess around trying stuff and short games without even trying to do full playthroughs or achievements.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The beta update is here.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-open-beta-update-2-1-5-3-updated-12-10-2023.1601672/

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
:ron Paul it’s happening gif:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Seems to be a hiring bug where upper-strata pops are employed but then quit after a short while, and then keep on cycling like that over and over.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I started a game as Prussia, started an early war to puppet Denmark and despite pushing them to -100 war score they did not capitulate. Not sure if the fact that France was still in the war on their side changes the capitulation rules, but that led to me losing the war. Methinks this one still needs a couple of days of bugfixing, I bet there's a hotfix on the way that will continue the two steps forward one step back cycle we seem to be in.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's a beta patch bugs are to be expected tbh

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I played half a game in the last beta update. I think I'll spare my frustration for another month till its in production.

e: i lied. i played and immeaditely ran into the employment bug as the US. using the values in the discord thread did not resolve the issue

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 13, 2023

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Star posted:

Seems to be a hiring bug where upper-strata pops are employed but then quit after a short while, and then keep on cycling like that over and over.

Seems like it is possible to do a workaround while waiting for a patch.

quote:

Alright, for the issue with buildings not hiring properly, y'all can try changing your defines in `game\common\defines\00_defines.txt` to the following:

JOB_SATISFACTION_BASE = -250 # Base job satisfaction
JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_SOL_ABOVE_EXPECTED_SOL = 1 # Job satisfaction gained per level of SoL above your expected SoL
JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_SOL_ABOVE_STATE_STRATA_SOL = 0 # Job satisfaction gained per level of SoL above the state average for your strata
JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_SOL_ABOVE_COUNTRY_STRATA_SOL = 0 # Job satisfaction gained per level of SoL above the country average for your strata
JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_PERCENT_WAGE_RATE_ABOVE_NORMAL = 1 # Job satisfaction gained per pound of workplace wage rate (weekly wage of 10k laborers) above country normal
JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_PERCENT_HIGHER_STRATA_QUALIFICATION = -1 # Job satisfaction gained per percent of workforce qualified for a higher strata. Note that qualifications are assumed to overlap and the largest qualification is used in this calculation
JOB_SATISFACTION_FROM_EMPLOYMENT = 300

Just find those defines (JOB_SATISFACTION_BASE etc) in the file and change the values to the above. If the issue persists, change `JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_PERCENT_HIGHER_STRATA_QUALIFICATION` and `JOB_SATISFACTION_PER_SOL_ABOVE_EXPECTED_SOL` to 0 as well

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've looked at the changes and it all looks cool. With companies you really need more kinds of filters - companies that require you to build more stuff you can build are indistinguishable from the ones that require you to research a late game tech or conquer some province. UI says wrong things sometimes and I am not sure what affects local price of goods. But it all looks very promising.

The real question is whether it will all come together in terms of balance and AI use. I like all the features but I hate when new cool features are made moot by the lack of need of mastering them.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
1847 as Brazil. Industrialization is now a very arduous struggle. Even expanding the bureaucracy will have you running out of qualified pops. Definitely feels less like easy mode.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's some pretty major bugs with migration (it basically doesn't work, while displaying the exact opposite of what it should be in the UI) and employment in the beta at the moment so I'd suggest holding off until they fix it - probably some time next week. The current beta has taken a step down in terms of basic functionality compared to the previous patch but given the number of unexpected new features and reworks just implemented that's not surprising.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I've been interested in having a go at Vicky since really getting into HoI4, but from everything I'm reading it seems like V3 isn't worth it at this time and especially price. Does V2 still hold up as an alternative?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Deketh posted:

I've been interested in having a go at Vicky since really getting into HoI4, but from everything I'm reading it seems like V3 isn't worth it at this time and especially price. Does V2 still hold up as an alternative?

I’ll quote a post I did in the main paradox thread a week ago or so.

quote:

I was nostalgic for V2 after putting around 160 hours into V3 and loaded it up just some days ago. Even with up-to-date mods that fix bugs, add flavor and balance the economy and politics, it’s still a lot of waiting and doing the same thing regardless of country (clergy to 2%, no taxes on upper classes, the fixed ratio of soldiers/artillery/hussars, etc etc). The there’s the event spam, the sphere and colonization whack-a-mole and a lot of other annoying things.

Like V2 is something special, despite all its flaws, and I’ve sunk so so many hours into it over the years. But there’s definitely a lot of nostalgia going on that skews the comparison between V2 and V3.

If I were you I’d wait for the 1.5 beta to end and then jump aboard.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Star posted:

I’ll quote a post I did in the main paradox thread a week ago or so.

If I were you I’d wait for the 1.5 beta to end and then jump aboard.

Ok cool, that's fair enough. I imagine any older Paradox game could be a little clunky absent the benefit of nostalgia. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll sit tight and see how this 1.5 update pans out, I think I just read that it was due out around November so not too long to go if that's accurate.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Deketh posted:

Ok cool, that's fair enough. I imagine any older Paradox game could be a little clunky absent the benefit of nostalgia. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll sit tight and see how this 1.5 update pans out, I think I just read that it was due out around November so not too long to go if that's accurate.

Yeah vicky 2 is way, way more broken and janky than V3 is even in the current beta branch. So either wait a bit or jump in. Don't touch V2

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Keisari posted:

Yeah vicky 2 is way, way more broken and janky than V3 is even in the current beta branch. So either wait a bit or jump in. Don't touch V2

This has surprised me after seeing the steam reviews, glad to know I can keep V3 on my radar. Cheers

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vicky 3 has flaws, sometimes bad ones, but it's a strict upgrade over Vicky 2 and I say that as someone who loved Vicky 2. That said I'll mirror everyone saying wait for the new patch to drop

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deketh posted:

This has surprised me after seeing the steam reviews, glad to know I can keep V3 on my radar. Cheers

Victoria 3 is a bad broken game that will never be fixed, Vicky II is a playable game with flaws. Don't waste your money

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Gaius Marius posted:

Victoria 3 is a bad broken game that will never be fixed, Vicky II is a playable game with flaws. Don't waste your money

Nah Vicky 3 is fine

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The new patch seems like it'll fix a lot of stuff that was bad in Vicky 3. I just hope they eventually find some way to make building factories and managing production methods less tedious.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Deketh posted:

My personal opinion is that Vicky 2 was so good back then because jank was more expected and accepted back then, especially from Paradox. In Vicky 2, the wars are a tedious nightmare that detract from the other parts of the game, the player has little ways to influence the politics as they are very deterministic, and the economy is straight up broken. The capitalist AI is also dumb as poo poo compared to the autonomous investment we have now, which actually builds profitable stuff (even if it isn't strictly the most optimal pick at every point), compared to absolutely braindead building in vicky 2 that seemed completely random to me. Hope you enjoy that clipper factory number 500 that goes bankrupt in 3 months and disappears. Whoops!

It was amazing for it's time, though!

I am so glad the wars are more strategic and abstracted now, as they don't as heavily pull me out of the econ/politics "zone."

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gaius Marius posted:

?????

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Keisari posted:

My personal opinion is that Vicky 2 was so good back then because jank was more expected and accepted back then, especially from Paradox.

It's similar to mods nowadays, people forgive them a lot. You'd hear that some mod is just the greatest and allows you to do amazing things, and then you launch the mod and see that the UI doesn't work, there's missing text and images, the balance is all broken. Same was with older games: I remember how quickly you could see through the magic of, say, EU3 or EU Rome and exploit them to death. It was really a stretch calling these games strategy games, it was usually not the point. Nowadays this games do function and comparisons ignore this huge difference. It's like you can compare CK3 to Suzerain and declare that Suzerain is much better at presenting its characters and giving you interesting choices. In a similar vein Victoria 1 actually has nation-specific events, a lot of historical flavour, nation customization through kind of national ideas, complex diplomatic agreements - but all of this basically didn't work as part of the strategy game.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Keisari posted:

My personal opinion is that Vicky 2 was so good back then because jank was more expected and accepted back then, especially from Paradox. In Vicky 2, the wars are a tedious nightmare that detract from the other parts of the game, the player has little ways to influence the politics as they are very deterministic, and the economy is straight up broken. The capitalist AI is also dumb as poo poo compared to the autonomous investment we have now, which actually builds profitable stuff (even if it isn't strictly the most optimal pick at every point), compared to absolutely braindead building in vicky 2 that seemed completely random to me. Hope you enjoy that clipper factory number 500 that goes bankrupt in 3 months and disappears. Whoops!

It was amazing for it's time, though!

I am so glad the wars are more strategic and abstracted now, as they don't as heavily pull me out of the econ/politics "zone."

Interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how this V3 update turns out and picking it up. I like the sound of a more abstracted form of war/combat in a paradox game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah in theory the abstracted war is a really cool idea, but currently it's pretty clunky. Getting good reports out of the beta patch which completely re does it though

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

VostokProgram posted:

The new patch seems like it'll fix a lot of stuff that was bad in Vicky 3. I just hope they eventually find some way to make building factories and managing production methods less tedious.

If you don't like the micromanage, the answer is capitalism. If you don't want to think about it switch to free trade, let the AI have most of your construction process and let the free market figure it out.

The genius of this game is that different governments / countries suit different play styles. You just have to figure out what you like.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, I'm still a bit iffy on the newest patch's diplo (my current test run has Qing Singapore, Qing Guyana, and Qing Ivory Coast based solely off volunteering a local muster to the British and Dutch every time they have a rebellion in the EIC/DEI, and I also could have picked off Newfoundland and Luxembourg but decided that was just too absurd) and the job satisfaction bug was posted upthread, but the general military game is real solid except for a couple UI complaints--it's basically settled in as mandatory HoI4 fronts without the tile-and-chit poo poo that encourages/demands micro.

(Biggest UI complaints are that manual demobilization sticks even if you immediately start a new war, while autodemobilization doesn't; that you take small but noticeable attrition if an army is posted to a HQ that is not its home, but its home isn't listed anywhere obvious; and that the number of supply decisions you can take has radically multiplied meaning they've all been shoved in hidden-by-default dropdowns of a sub-sub-submenu.)

E: States are probably too big to be the most granular occupation level, too. It's currently a lot more difficult than it "should" be IE to invade Japan as a peer; every state but the Kurils and Kyushu, a successful landing will immediately create both north and south fronts, but your marines will only go to one and the other gets instaflooded.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 15, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

just a kazoo posted:

If you don't like the micromanage, the answer is capitalism. If you don't want to think about it switch to free trade, let the AI have most of your construction process and let the free market figure it out.

The genius of this game is that different governments / countries suit different play styles. You just have to figure out what you like.

I would happily micromanage if it were easy for me to tell the game that exactly 47.3% of my logging camp output needs to go to hardwood, but instead I have to go state by state and change production methods here and there and it's hard to get a summary of what my logging camps are doing because the building UI is shoved into a sidebar instead of being a big easy to read spreadsheet. This is not a play style issue, this is a UI issue.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I think my two big complaints right now about the game are the lack of real tutorials and that the UI is just wretched. Every subject of the game seems to have three different menus, each of which does 75% of the same things but some unique 25% only available there. It's a terrible mess with important things hidden in the weirdest places, and things that you think would be reasonable to pull up at a glance - what is my infrastructure in each provice so I know where to build rails next? What is my tax capacity in each province so I know where to build government buildings next? - simply doesn't exist, or at least not in a way that I've found yet. And the patch won't fix any of that at all.

I am looking forward to the patch, though, even if a quick playtest seems like they've turned the "unify Italy" goal from "good loving luck if you're not Two Sicilies" to "hit button, win" though maybe the employment bug is part of that

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

just a kazoo posted:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Evergreen

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, I think my two big complaints right now about the game are the lack of real tutorials and that the UI is just wretched. Every subject of the game seems to have three different menus, each of which does 75% of the same things but some unique 25% only available there. It's a terrible mess with important things hidden in the weirdest places, and things that you think would be reasonable to pull up at a glance - what is my infrastructure in each provice so I know where to build rails next? What is my tax capacity in each province so I know where to build government buildings next? - simply doesn't exist, or at least not in a way that I've found yet. And the patch won't fix any of that at all.

I am looking forward to the patch, though, even if a quick playtest seems like they've turned the "unify Italy" goal from "good loving luck if you're not Two Sicilies" to "hit button, win" though maybe the employment bug is part of that

Criminal that this game's ledger is so primitive compared to EU4's.

Absum
May 28, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

It shows you the infrastructure balance in every province when you're building literally anything and the tax capacity balance in every province when you're building admin offices? Unless you mean the totals instead of the balance in which case you can mouse over the balance I guess? But I don't see why you'd need those normally, the balance is more helpful when deciding where to build.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Absum posted:

It shows you the infrastructure balance in every province when you're building literally anything and the tax capacity balance in every province when you're building admin offices? Unless you mean the totals instead of the balance in which case you can mouse over the balance I guess? But I don't see why you'd need those normally, the balance is more helpful when deciding where to build.

Which menu do you use that shows you that? Again, the stupid UI has three different ways to add buildings, and I usually click on the province to directly tell it what to build or go through the Buildings menu to see the list of buildings that exist to add to them rather than try to remember which provinces have what. I only see an "infrastructure balance" when I have the main map up and click on the market overlay, and then it tells me only which provices have a deficit in infrastructure because they can't reach the market, and I'd like something that says "you have 10 left before you run out" rather than "you ran out 10 ago". I have never seen the "tax capacity balance" you're talking about.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
After you click on a building in the build menu you’re supposed to see a list of provinces to choose from, infrastructure included.

Absum
May 28, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

Which menu do you use that shows you that? Again, the stupid UI has three different ways to add buildings, and I usually click on the province to directly tell it what to build or go through the Buildings menu to see the list of buildings that exist to add to them rather than try to remember which provinces have what. I only see an "infrastructure balance" when I have the main map up and click on the market overlay, and then it tells me only which provices have a deficit in infrastructure because they can't reach the market, and I'd like something that says "you have 10 left before you run out" rather than "you ran out 10 ago". I have never seen the "tax capacity balance" you're talking about.
When building via the general Buildings menu (as long as you're not expanding an already existing building in a specific state) or one of the buttons in the bottom middle of the screen you get this list:

You can just sort it by the appropriate column. You do need to also keep pop numbers in mind because +4 infra with 3.2k potential labour is obviously a very different situation to +5 infra with 141k potential labour.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

Kind of related, but I always am a bit disappointed that forming a new nation is so uneventful (except maybe Germany and Italy). It basically boils down to: conquer last necessary province - click button - change tag, flag and map color :geno:
I would have liked some flavor, like an event screen, a journal entry or anything really. It feels very barebone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Chikimiki posted:

Kind of related, but I always am a bit disappointed that forming a new nation is so uneventful (except maybe Germany and Italy). It basically boils down to: conquer last necessary province - click button - change tag, flag and map color :geno:
I would have liked some flavor, like an event screen, a journal entry or anything really. It feels very barebone.

I can do without event screen, but I think they've added a lot of these for formables in this patch.

I liked how they handled it in Imperator Rome. It was gamey cause the countries were labeled with tiers and you could go up, like some Iberian tribe transforms into Asturia and it's kind of a unique decision giving you a better government type Federated Tribe if you didn't have it, gives special modifier to the capital that is different for other formables. Then you create Greater Iberia that gives you different stuff than other formables. This is not huge but it nice to see some difference, there's probably some maniac player who plans culture switches to get the best formable modifiers possible. It also makes weaker starts more interesting and balanced as creating a bigger kingdom gives you an impulse that old established countries may luck. EU4 usually gives you some development and prestige and short modifier but there are often new missions so it feels important and impactful, but both Vic3 and CK3 are underwhelming in that regard.

https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Formable_nations