Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Randalor posted:

Okay, I was sold on giving Super Snail a try thanks to you jerks, but when I looked it up in the play store, it also showed Idle Apocalypse with a decently high rating. Is that one any good as well for free play?

Idle Apocalypse is pretty good, it eventually gets pretty micromanagey/fiddly once you've done a few prestiges and have a metric ton of different resources to manage. It's very f2p friendly in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Randalor posted:

Okay, I was sold on giving Super Snail a try thanks to you jerks, but when I looked it up in the play store, it also showed Idle Apocalypse with a decently high rating. Is that one any good as well for free play?

Idle Apocalypse is pretty fun, but it (like all the games from that dev) is too reliant on constant ad-watching as an expected element of the F2P player economy for me to stick with it long-term.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
cool I think I've failed a 24% chance 10 times in a row, I love pure RNG based gameplay

and that's not even to get a potion, just to complete a ritual. This event is absolute trash and I really hope the next one is a lot less pure dice rolls.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Are there any other games in the Realm Grinder sorta genre? lots of tooltips, setting up builds, unlocking things and feeling RPGish like that? It's a bit hard to explain what it is in Realm Grinder that vibes with me so well but it's got something to do with the factions and classes and upgrades being totally different in playstyle and stuff.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I really liked the idea of Realm Grinder with the different builds and play styles you could put together, but it devolved into "everything that isn't the very best meta-game pick is literally thousands of times slower" way too quickly.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah, I personally never play without the save editor open on another screen because the late game grind gets ridiculous, and the late game starts only about 30 hours in in a 300+ hour game :v: I find that giving yourself rubies to push past the requirements for meta-builds that are always perfect makes the game a lot more fun.

It does look like they've been working on a huge rework of the entire game for the past couple years, so maybe it'll be better after that?

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I really liked the idea of Realm Grinder with the different builds and play styles you could put together, but it devolved into "everything that isn't the very best meta-game pick is literally thousands of times slower" way too quickly.

Idle Wizard is probably the best designed Realm Grinder style game. There are a bunch of builds with very different mechanics and it's clear that a lot of effort has been made over the years to make sure there are several competing 'best' builds at each point in the game. While you will still need to look up stuff on the wiki it's more 'what are the exact mechanics and rough baseline requirements of this build?' rather than 'which build do I have to use at this point in the game?'

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
drop rate soul gems is bad. Black hole is stuffed and i want to infuse already!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It seems like because how heirlooms and nostalgia work, it's best to run up to zone 19, idle there for 8 hours, and then proceed up to whenever you can hit max souls and prestige. Which means auto-fight boss and most of the zone-size-reducing upgrades are relatively worthless, and the game punishes you for going too fast.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Xerol posted:

It seems like because how heirlooms and nostalgia work, it's best to run up to zone 19, idle there for 8 hours, and then proceed up to whenever you can hit max souls and prestige. Which means auto-fight boss and most of the zone-size-reducing upgrades are relatively worthless, and the game punishes you for going too fast.

Do you mean zone 39? Cause heirlooms don't start dropping until 40.

EDIT - Actually it seems like it's 30.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Xerol posted:

The luck prestige bonuses are absolute not relative.

My current play is grind until I'm at corruption, idle for I dunno just switch modes and come back probably 30-60 minutes? keep increasing as I buy anti-corruption stuff and spend monster livers. Maybe make a push around the 3-4h point.

I'm currently nearing zone 60 and it's at the point that I cannot be killed but killing the 55 enemies to get to the next zone takes over an hour. Less enemies sure would be nice. Horde just feels like it need a balance pass badly (and I'm pretty sure that's what the dev is working on so don't make grand plans!)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Big Mackson posted:

drop rate soul gems is bad. Black hole is stuffed and i want to infuse already!

I've never had issues with the black hole soul gems, although I've only done a few black hole resets and never gone past it. The one that kills me is waiting for the first soul gem that gates like half of the early interstellar tech. Just drop, you jerk! Drop!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When I want to black hole in evolve I tend to leave it running overnight to stack up gems.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

pixaal posted:

The luck prestige bonuses are absolute not relative.

My current play is grind until I'm at corruption, idle for I dunno just switch modes and come back probably 30-60 minutes? keep increasing as I buy anti-corruption stuff and spend monster livers. Maybe make a push around the 3-4h point.

I'm currently nearing zone 60 and it's at the point that I cannot be killed but killing the 55 enemies to get to the next zone takes over an hour. Less enemies sure would be nice. Horde just feels like it need a balance pass badly (and I'm pretty sure that's what the dev is working on so don't make grand plans!)

Right now it's an entire run's worth of souls to get that up by 0.8% so that's easily swamped by the nostalgia bonus and I'd rather spend my souls on literally anything else right now (like, for instance, soul chance, so I can get more than ~150 a run).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Xerol posted:

Right now it's an entire run's worth of souls to get that up by 0.8% so that's easily swamped by the nostalgia bonus and I'd rather spend my souls on literally anything else right now (like, for instance, soul chance, so I can get more than ~150 a run).

I'm not sure the best order to do them in but doing 8 hour runs you should be getting 2-3k after a week. Still a ton of variability. You missed pre-patch when you always got all the souls. I did a few 1 hour runs that were very lucrative then it was patched the next day and I didn't notice until I went to prestige and wondered why I was only going to get 50 souls.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was around for that but only able to get up to about 22-23 after a few hours so I wasn't really benefitting from that. Topping out around 45 right now (with one deep run to 48 for the quest) with runs taking about 12 hours in total. I've had over 400 in one run it's just the variability is really killing me sometimes, the last three have been under 100.

e: Also I think the event really just needs some way to transmute/exchange items, I've unlocked all the tier 2 potions and none of them take skulls, meanwhile 3/4 of them require lavender.

e2: Also I got tired of fiddling with farm layouts and just have one of everything planted and the rest of the slots used on whatever crop I'm currently focusing. I never use horde equipment loadouts but we could really use some farm loadouts.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2023

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I think most of the game modes benefit from a couple of 8-12 prestiges, followed by a slow shift over to 24h cycles. I'm sort of in a mode now where I do a day where I prestige twice, followed by a long 24h day where I do a bigger push.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

weekday daily / weekend long runs is what I was thinking of shifting to.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
For anyone else, I bought the dictionary relic from the event, (1.1x knowledge) because it was the same color/shape as the school books. But it instead modified village knowledge, bleah.

Doesn't even have the village icon on it in the relic page.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Village knowledge isn't terrible though. I'm in T4 buildings now and getting another 10% knowledge is great. It's one of the biggest limiting factors at this point.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

SettingSun posted:

When I want to black hole in evolve I tend to leave it running overnight to stack up gems.

it took 18 hours but i did it. Went into a MaGiC universe. 150 phages now.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Zotix posted:

Village knowledge isn't terrible though. I'm in T4 buildings now and getting another 10% knowledge is great. It's one of the biggest limiting factors at this point.

It's just 1.1x knowledge gain, though? If it was knowledge cap sure, but knowledge gain I just max out my librarians for a bit and I quickly run out of things to spend knowledge on due to cap.

I'm saving up for the 1.15x grain thing, seems to be the only good thing in there that isn't random like the cards and.... whatever the Autumn forest thing is.

Also I was wrong before, depth dweller doesn't seem to go any faster regardless of your maximum current depth except for the speed upgrade during the run.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

There are a couple really poo poo upgrades here and there in Gooboo that just annoy me, considering how long it takes to get the resources for them. (School/Books.)
Both the Shed and School in Village unlock new upgrades, so of course I want to get more levels of those! The bonus levels just give a tiny bonus to water storage, and knowledge, respectively. No additional upgrades, seems like.

e: I guess it's just the 'unlock another level of a building!', without knowing what that level actually gives, as a number of structures will give different bonuses depending on their level that annoys me a bit.
Some upgrades are blinder than others.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 14, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The most useless prestige upgrade by far is the tax rate for Village. They need to rework the food system so you're not just running out as soon as you build a few Treasuries.

I'll be fine with this game as soon as the rework Horde and get rid of all the clickies, or at least make it so you only do it once in a while but it's more impactful. Also, some of the abilities are just useless for both passive and active purposes.

The semi-randomness of the Night Hunt and Pickaxe Crafting is also annoying, I would almost prefer just pure random to this. Save scumming to manipulate the semi-RNG to get potion upgrades because otherwise I would have only gotten like 1 upgrade this entire time, and possibly finished the event without even getting the good reward.

The farm game is fine, I just do one type of crop at a time so whenever I check back I can refresh all at once. I assume at high overgrowth levels, the +fertilizer effects crop level bonus is going to be good.

Village game is fine, but you need to use gold to increase gold generation, and there's nothing that I see so far (level 4 building) that will help increase gold generation in early game other than increasing workstations for a minor amount of grain/food.

Treasures are much better than the card packs, so I'm not sure what they were thinking there. I have bought a ton of card packs and still no closer to completing a set, and I don't even know if the remaining cards are in the current set or if they're in a different set. It should really tell you on the empty slots what set the card could be in.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 14, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dipwood posted:

Treasures are much better than the card packs, so I'm not sure what they were thinking there. I have bought a ton of card packs and still no closer to completing a set, and I don't even know if the remaining cards are in the current set or if they're in a different set. It should really tell you on the empty slots what set the card could be in.

It does though?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

There's a bonus for red gems for village golden throne, it increases the tax multiplier for gold not the rate.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It does though?

You are correct. Not sure how I missed that. But at such a low chance to get that card... treasures are a much better green gem investment.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Your do know cards have passive by type too right? Hover over them that 12 different mining cards is also giving damage!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Yes, for unique cards. Once you have most of a set however, and the remaining cards are like 1-3% chance per pack, filling out treasures still seems like the better investment to me.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dipwood posted:

Yes, for unique cards. Once you have most of a set however, and the remaining cards are like 1-3% chance per pack, filling out treasures still seems like the better investment to me.

You still want to get enough cards to feed into your prestige consumption I would think. I just unlocked treasures and bought 1 and it was pretty underwhelming. I wish gems weren't such a bottleneck.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I see what dipwood is saying. For example, I've bought a ton of cards and my horde bonus is at 1.3x to attack and health. Bought a couple treasures and I've got 1.2x attack and 1.3x bone (better than health).

Sure the cards *also* feed into prestige.... and once you've filled out your 10 treasures then you have to start breaking them down and upgrading them. But I think you gotta at least buy 10 treasures.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You can buy more treasure slots with red gems

e: for people not playing these aren't a premium currency there's no way to spend money at this time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bought Melvor Idle on sale and it is p slick.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Jackpot.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What are Treasures, the 225 unlock, I assume?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I forget the number, but it's the unlock spot to the right of Event. I would slow down on prestige card usage and just save up to fill out your treasure slots when you unlock it. Then go back to cards after that, since upgrading treasures only provides minor adjustments. This screenshot shows everything involved:

The upgrades are fairly minor (x1.3 to x1.36 for tier 1 and x1.5 to 1.6 for tier 2 for a couple of treasures I moused over. Aside from Smeltery speed, pretty much everything you roll has a good benefit.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Not sure I understand how offerings work in Gooboo. I;ve some some resource offerings and allocated the points and it says adding +200 to max capacity but it didn't change the actual listed max and doesn't show up in the math breakdown.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KirbyKhan posted:

I bought Melvor Idle on sale and it is p slick.

Yeah I quite like it! I'm doing the run where you have to unlock the skills with money and while this is not an efficient way to play, it's really taught me about getting money and balancing my bank and BOY am I good at woodcutting/fishing/beating up that one farmer.

Slow, but it's a weirdly satisfying game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah I quite like it! I'm doing the run where you have to unlock the skills with money and while this is not an efficient way to play, it's really taught me about getting money and balancing my bank and BOY am I good at woodcutting/fishing/beating up that one farmer.

Slow, but it's a weirdly satisfying game.

It is. I nearly jumped in joy when I finally got assigned the Wandering Bard for Slayer. Needed him for the birthday clues... and then I forgot to get the Amulet of Looting from the Spider Chests.

That said, I started on Adventurer mode where I just level my skills the old fashioned way. Only 99 so far is Township, with Woodcutting and Firemaking a close second.

It's still odd that the only real surefire way to get potato seeds en masse is the Fierce Devil. I need a lot of 'em for Herbology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

widespread posted:

It is. I nearly jumped in joy when I finally got assigned the Wandering Bard for Slayer. Needed him for the birthday clues... and then I forgot to get the Amulet of Looting from the Spider Chests.

That said, I started on Adventurer mode where I just level my skills the old fashioned way. Only 99 so far is Township, with Woodcutting and Firemaking a close second.

It's still odd that the only real surefire way to get potato seeds en masse is the Fierce Devil. I need a lot of 'em for Herbology.

this sounds very different from the Melvor Idle I played a year or two ago.