Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There are only so many different ways you can spin "hit things harder" "hit things faster" or "get hit softer", though zealot suffers the same coherency perk problem of veteran where you have a god-tier bonus in 15% toughness damage reduction/1% ammo regen that has to pair up against 2 almost unnoticeably underwhelming perks.

Vet's tree is just filled with things like old-deadeye, unchanged and still more negative than positive, 10% chance to throw an extra grenade (so after using and refilling your 3-4 grenades fully twice, you might maybe get one extra grenade and maybe when you didn't even need it) or all of the defense being slotted into the bottom middle tree
What's weird to me is that IIRC part of the reason they didn't do keystone traits for vet was to encourage you to swap between the trees but the entire bottom half of the tree is "exclusive" to its own branch (in that there are no cross-connecting branches), so the points investment to go down another branch is huge. I get they don't want it to be too easy to swap between the branches but if the goal really was to encourage you to be more flexible then I feel like this really hampers you? Then again I haven't bothered to get any of the bottom ability passives because of how :geno: they look, so :shrug:.

Exodee posted:

Although come to think of it does taking an alternative aura node disable the base 7.5% toughness damage reduction aura? That would make me think twice about going that route.
I can't speak for Zealot but this is how it works for Vet. If you don't take the 1% ammo regen aura you lose the ammo regen entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Honestly it should probably keep the base aura effect for veteran and zealot for balance reasons, 3% damage or loner are really not worth taking over the default aura, but would be "okay" if it kept the baseline while still being overridden by someone with the upgraded version.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
^ Yeah that would be a good change and would help the alternative paths a lot.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Patch 13 has felt like a giant weapon expansion because finally a lot of weapons are useful in damnation, no more 5% carapace damage on the heavy hitting weapons.
Hopefully by patch 14 they look into weapons that used to be good but got nerfed or overlooked in the mass buffs and have fallen behind the increased enemy stats.
Revolver with the rending blessing on a crit build is :discourse:

I'm loving how many weapons are viable now. It's probably easier to list the things that aren't viable really.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One annoying thing I've had happen twice today on my veteran is I will swap builds before queuing up for a game or in lobby and it will stick me on some random talents and loadout weapons, like just now I set up as my middle tree tanky shout veteran and I load in on what appears to be a talentless veteran with execution stance with no gunner highlights (all my executioner builds have gunner highlights right now)

Even swapped my cosmetics and guns back to the last build I used, but it was very much not the last build I used since the recon lasgun wasn't getting free ammo and it was missing those other perks.

Maybe I got to delete the saved talents and start each one over.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally went and dug into the mods, the weapon customization one in particular owns bones. Finally I got a shotgun that actually has a size appropriate to its bang :getin:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Maybe I got to delete the saved talents and start each one over.

Yeah, for sure. I’ve never heard of anything like this

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Anyone try a knife vet build yet? Between Desperado (+10% melee crit chance and +25% finesse), Trench Fighter Drill (+15% melee attack speed), and Serrated Blade (+1 bleed stack on melee hit) it seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've seen it once on a rando, but they also gained the zealot "rush ahead, die, call team bad" part of the build.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Insert name here posted:

Anyone try a knife vet build yet? Between Desperado (+10% melee crit chance and +25% finesse), Trench Fighter Drill (+15% melee attack speed), and Serrated Blade (+1 bleed stack on melee hit) it seems like it could be a lot of fun.

If you're trying to do Bleed Knife you'll want Uncanny Strike for rending on weak spot hit and probably Lacerate for more bleed stacks because an unaided single bleed stack is like 2 damage a tick and is mostly for enabling Zealot and Ogryn friends.

Right side lower tree is a real good combo with shouty Vet and also works good with chain axe, chain sword, Devil's Claws depending if you need more single target or more crowd blending.

You do get to run at mach 5 at downed teammates with the knife though

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Do you guys like the vet shout that gives a toughness boost/overcap or the teammate res? I feel like I hold the shout too long so as not to “waste” the res.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Stoop Kid posted:

Do you guys like the vet shout that gives a toughness boost/overcap or the teammate res? I feel like I hold the shout too long so as not to “waste” the res.

tbh in this game the rez shout ive found to be too short ranged and the CD increase too rough to use. id use the toughness shout and be a lot more generous with it for general use, especially if you're running the middle or right capstone perks, and use that increased aggression to clear out enemies by a downed ally first

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

you know, I would level so much faster if I just played 2 difficulty missions instead of constantly failing 3s

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would much rather use the shout pro-actively instead of reactively when a teammate goes down, see the blue bar disappear due to recent fire or gun squad? shout it back up and knock down anything nearby.

AndrewP posted:

you know, I would level so much faster if I just played 2 difficulty missions instead of constantly failing 3s

You'd level even faster by doing low intensity heresy missions.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Im a proactive shouter as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Decided to roll up a veteran combat knife, this is my first result.

In the damnation meatgrinder I can punch a crusher to death in about 12 seconds, rending and bleed stacking is good, you could always stack another bleed blessing and punching a crusher to death would take 8~ seconds or so with lacerate.
I assume "Finesse" damage is just weakspot and crit damage?

I figure Vet's and Zealot's want different blessings from their knives, Zealot can only proc bleed on crits and Vet is on hit, Vet has access to way more on-hit rending than zealot so they probably don't need uncanny.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 14, 2023

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If you are messing with talents and switch over to Cosmetics or Loadouts without first exiting the screen entirely, it will revert all your talent picks. Always lock in your changes by hitting escape, then go play with your guns/clothes. This may be why some of you are ending up with blank builds.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Preechr posted:

If you are messing with talents and switch over to Cosmetics or Loadouts without first exiting the screen entirely, it will revert all your talent picks. Always lock in your changes by hitting escape, then go play with your guns/clothes. This may be why some of you are ending up with blank builds.

It just visually resets everything, the tree is still saved if you switch tabs. You just have to exit the layout and re-enter to see the changes applied to the tree.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
You can also swap back and forth between different loadouts to get it to visually update.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Player numbers are keeping strong with the update 10 days ago.

Used to be 1.5k - 3k players daily since after the dark times of endless dog mission holidays.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Magitek posted:

Bloodthirsty is best either when you're faced with a mixed horde of elites and non-elites, or a hyperdense horde of non-elites. In both cases you'll be killing nonelites with every swing and making effective use of the extra crit damage on further targets. To that end it's a blessing that's much more effective on some weapons compared to others. On a single-target chain weapon or a Deimos force sword its use is limited to the fairly niche scenario you described. On the Illisi force sword however, it's fantastic. Every special will cut through a dozen poxwalkers while delivering consistent crits to any ragers, maulers or specials in the mix.

It popped on my Eviscerator, which I frequently do sweep through mixed hordes with using heavy > light > blockswing combos. So I understand right, do I need to rev it to proc it? Does the shredding from heavy swings count for activation?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Reiley posted:

It popped on my Eviscerator, which I frequently do sweep through mixed hordes with using heavy > light > blockswing combos. So I understand right, do I need to rev it to proc it? Does the shredding from heavy swings count for activation?

When you rev it and get a kill, you'll gain a buff that guarantees that your next swing will crit everything it hits. That next swing can also be a rev that procs it again (assuming it kills something), or you can just use a standard light/heavy swing that will crit but you'll lose the buff.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I understand, thank you for explaining. I tend to tank and frontline for my teams, that does sound like a useful blessing for when there's knots in the wood.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I tried the ogrynomicon build.
I do not like it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Necromancer trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7VmhPjv9yI

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

The Demilich posted:

I tried the ogrynomicon build.
I do not like it.

Aren't there something like 8 of them, each with a different playstyle?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

KPC_Mammon posted:

Aren't there something like 8 of them, each with a different playstyle?

I've no idea tbh

Estel
May 4, 2010
Yes, there are 3 "pure" builds at the start and some mixed builds at the end.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What's the use case for the Shredder autopistol? Is that for spraying at shooter clusters to force them into suppression?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reiley posted:

What's the use case for the Shredder autopistol? Is that for spraying at shooter clusters to force them into suppression?

Zealot charge can give it armor piercing which makes it handy for cutting down Crushers and Scab Rager/Maulers. Also there's talents that apply stacking buffs to rending and so forth, so a very fast firing weapon will max that out quickly.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In the damnation meatgrinder I can punch a crusher to death in about 12 seconds, rending and bleed stacking is good, you could always stack another bleed blessing and punching a crusher to death would take 8~ seconds or so with lacerate.

I figure Vet's and Zealot's want different blessings from their knives, Zealot can only proc bleed on crits and Vet is on hit, Vet has access to way more on-hit rending than zealot so they probably don't need uncanny.

Finesse affects a few stats on a weapon, all of them important for the knife:

Also your knife looks awfully similar to my Vet's knife:

They work pretty well for a Commando build, but the lack of crowd stagger and the Veteran's squishiness makes it riskier to use than it does for a Zealot.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For what it's worth with some basic testing in the psykhanium it feels like you cap out on rending so much faster with uncanny strike. You're probably right that it not strictly necessary but it does seem to help with taking out crushers faster. Here's my current knife:

Not sure what to spend the other reroll on.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Insert name here posted:

For what it's worth with some basic testing in the psykhanium it feels like you cap out on rending so much faster with uncanny strike. You're probably right that it not strictly necessary but it does seem to help with taking out crushers faster. Here's my current knife:

Not sure what to spend the other reroll on.

I'd argue for replacing Uncanny Strike with Mercy Killer. Rending is great against Ogryns, Maulers, and bosses but if you're taking the vet bleed talent, Mercy Killer is pretty much free damage against everything.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

ChickenHeart posted:

I'd argue for replacing Uncanny Strike with Mercy Killer. Rending is great against Ogryns, Maulers, and bosses but if you're taking the vet bleed talent, Mercy Killer is pretty much free damage against everything.
:hmmyes: that's a good point actually. Now I have to go and get Mercy Killer in my blessing library.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

For the love of the Emperor let every class equip flashlights

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Demilich posted:

For the love of the Emperor let every class equip flashlights

Time for the gun mod mod.

Gun mod2

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Flashlights ought to be attached to players on a keybind instead of taking up a weapons special action.

Failing that my hope is that weapon attachments will eventually make it in as a means for players to change around what a weapon's special action does (flashlight/shove/bayonet/etc.). I'd also like to see them used as a way to improve the bonus stats on a weapon (considering that weapon stats can never roll above 80, even though the stat maxes out at 100) alongside fulfilling the obvious "put usable sights on this gun" requests players drone on about.

You could even make them part of the crafting system to use up all the diamantine players are sitting on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The fact that none of the hellbores even come with a holosight, let alone an optional scope, is so dumb. Like if you want to discourage back line sniping fair enough, that might even be a smart design choice for a game this frenetic, but it's a high damage weapon you have to charge up and getting hit completely disrupts you, people are going to try to snipe with it and they're going to have a bad time doing it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay yeah, gunlugger confirmed for good.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay yeah, gunlugger confirmed for good.

Right now, there's a grenade veteran shedding a single tear and deciding to sit down in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

KPC_Mammon posted:

So throwing a ton of credits away at Brunt's?

:rolldice: