Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Epic High Five posted:

I'm pretty sure 95% of all players had the same top 3

Brightbloom seed, muddle bud, keese eyeball.

Edit: What a crappy snipe. For more content, I picked the game up for the first time after beating it 2 months ago. I figured I could start finding all the shrines, but I got bored very quickly. I guess I need to step away for much longer to get the spark back.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Brightbloom seed, muddle bud, keese eyeball.

Edit: What a crappy snipe. For more content, I picked the game up for the first time after beating it 2 months ago. I figured I could start finding all the shrines, but I got bored very quickly. I guess I need to step away for much longer to get the spark back.

If your original post wasn't good enough for the top of a page, would you still find it acceptable otherwise? Why is the top of the page special?

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
360+ hours in, I found my final well yesterday. :hellyeah: I was super-surprised when my sensor went off while I was just wandering around.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's a question, just firing up this game after taking a couple months off. Played non-stop when it first hit for a month, then Street Fighter 6 a lot, and just poked at this a few times since. For Breath of the Wild it was similar, played non-stop, had that addictive new game feel, then didn't get back to the game fully to beat it until about 11 months later.

I'm sure the magic will rekindle itself in due time, but I wonder if there's anything or anywhere in particular to head for exciting stuff in particular at the moment. I guess I should check out Hateno village for new story stuff etc.

So far I did the one wind temple, unlocked two fairies, and uncovered going on 10 towers, lots of exploring the middle areas. Did some sky stuff and some underground stuff too. Amazing game, I guess I should just focus on more story and town stuff I haven't done yet at the moment maybe. The idea of just covering everything on the map is a little less enticing currently. Long story short, something about the BoTW series seems to make me go ham and then burn out, and then revisit it a long while later with new vigor.

I also haven't gotten autobuild yet, keep meaning to do that. Quite the big game. Any tips or tidbits?

If you want some quick quests to get you back into the game, I recommend finishing out the fairy quests and do the primary quest in Tarrey Town. Also go to Lurelin village and do that quest line if you haven't done it yet. I think those three quest lines have some of the best payoffs both in story and game mechanics.

If you want a larger task to get you interested in the game, check out Gerudo town (if you hadn't done Wind Temple my entire post would be just do Wind Temple because that place is one of the most incredible moments in the game imo)

One weaknesses of the game is that you can detour yourself right out of being interested in the game if you engage with some of its collectathons too much. If you stop finding something interesting, immediately switch to something else because there is no good "stopping point" to switch over.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Donkringel posted:

One weaknesses of the game is that you can detour yourself right out of being interested in the game if you engage with some of its collectathons too much. If you stop finding something interesting, immediately switch to something else because there is no good "stopping point" to switch over.

Yeah definitely. "if it sucks, hit da bricks" as the meme goes. There's hundreds of hours of content in this drat game, don't burn yourself out upgrading every single armor set or finding every Bubblefrog or whatever if that's not fun for you. There's surprisingly little you HAVE to do to beat the main story.

Progressing the main quest and the Side Adventures will steadily increase your power which is nice. Don't sleep on the Side Adventures, they are almost all fun and cool and have a major payoff in terms of story, rewards, and opening new game mechanics.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Also, do the newspaper quests too as you go along, the reward is fantastic and was badly needed in BOTW.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I also really enjoyed the reward for the completing the diving minigames in the sky islands. I also really enjoyed upgrading it so I didn't die after running out of stamina while falling.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The reward also has very, very good armor values on top of being super easy to upgrade, and has a hidden property where each piece enormously extends the length of time you have the wet status, effectively boosting the x2 damage for Zora weapons from 45 seconds to 3 minutes per splash fruit for a full set

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Donkringel posted:

If you want some quick quests to get you back into the game, I recommend finishing out the fairy quests and do the primary quest in Tarrey Town. Also go to Lurelin village and do that quest line if you haven't done it yet. I think those three quest lines have some of the best payoffs both in story and game mechanics.

If you want a larger task to get you interested in the game, check out Gerudo town (if you hadn't done Wind Temple my entire post would be just do Wind Temple because that place is one of the most incredible moments in the game imo)

Sounds good, thanks for the tips folks! I feel like going blind for a month was good enough, so now I'm happy to just have a to do note with several interesting quests areas and towns etc.

On Lurelin, I had heard that had higher level enemies, so was saving that for later if that's true.

Also a funny thing about being able to go in any order, I was gonna do Zora soon and save Gerudo for later, since in my head Gerudo feels like a later game and possibly more challenging thing. It might be because in BoTW I had heard Gerudo had a tougher boss etc.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 14, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
An obscure fact I would have liked to know going in: The Gloom Defense buff doesn't help against gloom-damage-dealing enemies. Gloom splotches, it works fine on. Gloom Enemies, you're better off wearing your best armor and packing balanced Gloom-Healing/Heart-Healing meals if needed.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

effika posted:

I also really enjoyed the reward for the completing the diving minigames in the sky islands. I also really enjoyed upgrading it so I didn't die after running out of stamina while falling.

I cannot complete the second challenge of 25 seconds or less on any of the three of them :saddowns:
I did get the rewards though.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 14, 2023

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Are you holding down the dive button? With that and while wearing 1 or more of the gliding set it shouldn't be too bad, at least after a couple tries to learn it

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

mastajake posted:

Are you holding down the dive button? With that and while wearing 1 or more of the gliding set it shouldn't be too bad, at least after a couple tries to learn it

Holy derp. Yes, to holding down the dive button, no on wearing the gliding set while doing so.
That's probably the dumbest overlook/gently caress up of all time :derp:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eightysixed posted:

Holy derp. Yes, to holding down the dive button, no on wearing the gliding set while doing so.
That's probably the dumbest overlook/gently caress up of all time :derp:

lol don't sweat it. BOTW and TOTK are master games at making us look over the obvious because we try and think that there must be some kind of clever trick to a lot of the problems. We've all done it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I always forget I switched armor sets for some task to a lower defense-ranked armor and the next skirmish I get in I get hit hard.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Murdstone posted:

I always forget I switched armor sets for some task to a lower defense-ranked armor and the next skirmish I get in I get hit hard.

I burned through one of my fairies because I took a quick 'grab some dragon parts' detour and jumped off, not realizing that I hadn't put my skydive suit on so I hit headfirst at terminal velocity wearing Zant's helm and the fierce deity armor.

Skydive suit is hella useful.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Hi, my name is Cheesus. Welcome to my TOTK TED talk.

I bought the family a Switch for Christmas 2020. Other than mobile games on my phone (and at that, "boring" games like Cribbage or Blockudoku), I haven't played any other "real" video game since 2014 (confirmed when I bought a Steam Deck this summer; that was when I last played Team Fortress 2), the year before our son was born. My wife and kid got into games like Animal Crossing, Mario Odyssey, and we all had fun playing Mario Kart and Party, but there was no immediate draw for me until I bought BOTW during a sale in 2021. I "casually" played it, my own time permitting and around my wife and kid. No joke; maybe a five days of 3-4 hours a night followed by weeks, maybe months of not playing. I was fine with it! When TOTK entered my horizon in late 2022, I looked forward to it, but just starting the Champions Ballad. At the time, it didn't matter when I got TOTK and certainly not at release.

Then something terrible happened. One of my wife's Youtube channels started their replay of BOTW this past spring in anticipation of TOTK's release. My wife who only had casual interest in occasionally watching me play the game in the living room while she did stuff on her phone or laptop suddenly had to start playing her own game and Became A BOTW Expert. I could not play five minutes without a backseat driver telling me how to play. gently caress that noise! I stopped playing around her which reduced my already casual frequency even lower. I petulantly told myself I was fine not playing the game ever again or TOTK.

Then I saw the TOTK trailer and was hooked. But how to play without my resident "expert" ordering how I play? I bought my own Switch.

I kept it quiet for a good two months through the TOTK release. They would play their games on the "family" Switch in the living room, I would play it upstairs in our bedroom after our son went to bed. Despite preferring to play it in the big screen of our tv, for the first three ways I actually managed to keep just barely ahead of them up to a point where our directional interests in the game diverged. A few times they'd ask if I wanted to play and I demurred. But a few times Iin June 'd see either one of them stuck and make a "guessing" suggestion. They never caught on until I revealed my Switch.

(which has since worked out well; my wife would play the family switch and I'd use mine the living room TV at the same time; no more unsolicited advice!)

As happened with BOTW, both of them grew bored with it and moved on or back to Stardew Valley or Dave the Diver demo or whatever. My wife gave up after 3 sages. My son actually stumbled into and got Mineru on his own but inexplicably hasn't gone back to finish up the Gerudo boss (despite nearly defeating the queen on one attempt I watched!).

I continued to grind through TOTK 4-5 nights a week 3-4 hours a night on my own terms and have had so much fun with it! I had a rough end-game strategy of not being too interested in 100% sidequest completion, but I did want to max the energy well and both get and fully upgrade the Ancient Hero's Aspect before the final fight. So I spent the last 6-8 weeks finding mining Zonite and finding all light roots and all shrines, and then fighting endless Lynels and Gleeoks (*) for the full upgrade. The other night I had a brief thought of, "Oh maybe I'll just go fight all of the bosses again in the depths" and 20 minutes into that thought, "Eh, gently caress that" and went for the ending.

Despite that personal AHA quest being entirely irrelevant (but I looked cool!) it was a great ending! I loved it so much!

A page or two ago, someone mentioned watching their kid play and how different it is. I completely agree! For example, I of course with 40 years of gaming under my belt spend time resource hunting materials and maxing out meals or whatever. My eight year old starts fighting a boss with 4 meals and when he gets low on health and goes through the meals, eats raw mushrooms and gets on with the fight. I love watching him figure it out on his own!

(*) At one point I was trying to replicate the various fighting strategies of fighting those assholes when I realized, "Why did I max out the energy well if I'm not going to use it?" I spent an evening coming up with my own hover stone/construct/beam-emitter-array. That night of experimentation and "invention" using the Hebra Silver Lynel was one of my favorite times with the game. It wasn't the "best" or "optimal" construction, but it was mine and served me well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sage powers are so utterly unyieldy I'm really surprised they bothered to ship the game with them. I use Yonobo's to break rocks and Tulin's when gliding around but everyone else's is worthless to me. They don't contribute anything in combat except Tulin, if only for he lands headshots quite often, and if you want to use the combat ones you have to chase them down. Should have just kept it like the first games where you active them in different ways. That or the development team needs new UI designers.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Built the tank from the third trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ&t=154s

It's basically made out of stone slabs, big wheels, and a shock emitter on a stake on a construct head.

Took it up against some Battle Taluses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae-c2ECMik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WNQRVZYAc

It went about as well as could be expected..

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

The Champions from botw were definitely easier to use. Tulin I had on 24/7 cause I like to fly a lot, the lightning one was handy in combat but having to chase down the sage made me use it very little

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jimbot posted:

Sage powers are so utterly unyieldy I'm really surprised they bothered to ship the game with them. I use Yonobo's to break rocks and Tulin's when gliding around but everyone else's is worthless to me. They don't contribute anything in combat except Tulin, if only for he lands headshots quite often, and if you want to use the combat ones you have to chase them down. Should have just kept it like the first games where you active them in different ways. That or the development team needs new UI designers.

Riju's power can also break rocks. Sidon's seems completely useless though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sidon's is the best, this is an outrage

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Solution:

Keep bird boy the same but for using his ability on the ground which you would rarely ever do on purpose require a long press

Make the gerudo lightning selectable in the arrow fuse menu, to the left.

Make goron selectable in the weapon menu to the left, he doesn't make you switch weapons but he jumps right in front of you in ball form ready to go.

Make Sidon selectable in the shield menu, to the left. Selecting him doesn't make you switch shields, but does his special effect.

There I fixed the sage controls, except the fifth one.

There I fixed the companion controls.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I recently learned that Sidon's power lets you use bomb flowers in hot areas without instantly exploding which is niche but neat

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Docjowles posted:

I recently learned that Sidon's power lets you use bomb flowers in hot areas without instantly exploding which is niche but neat

:eyepop:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Sidon's is the best, this is an outrage

to expand on this, it's extremely meh until very late game, at which point you can create absurdly powerful pristine zora weapons and then double their attack power on-demand by having Sidon squirt all over you.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I actually read all of this.
I liked your TED Talk :yaycloud:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

maltesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WNQRVZYAc

It went about as well as could be expected..

:laffo:
I forgot about that thing, thank you for showing off its tactical capabilities :patriot:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sidon's power counts you as wet for the Water Warrior ability to activate, doubling that weapon's damage for the duration of wetness. Zora weapons are goddamn beasts.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
With a little more distance from having beaten it, I think I liked BOTW better as an experience and definitely liked it better as a pick up and play thing. TOTK was excellent at what it set out to do but it also felt more videogamey in a way that I’m struggling to put my finger on. I have no desire to revisit it, I feel like I wrung out every drop of content that felt unique or interesting. Too much of the activision busywork feeling I guess

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

With a little more distance from having beaten it, I think I liked BOTW better as an experience and definitely liked it better as a pick up and play thing. TOTK was excellent at what it set out to do but it also felt more videogamey in a way that I’m struggling to put my finger on. I have no desire to revisit it, I feel like I wrung out every drop of content that felt unique or interesting. Too much of the activision busywork feeling I guess
i've seen this sentiment before, and i wonder how much of it might be down to the two games having very similar (main) world maps. i know i spent a lot more time in BotW just seeing the sights for the sake of itself than I did in TotK. maybe being able to fly over everything instead of finding land routes contributed too, idk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cheesus posted:

Despite that personal AHA quest being entirely irrelevant (but I looked cool!) it was a great ending! I loved it so much!

I loved the ending so much, such a beautiful bookend, and everything from the Light Dragon showing up to save Link through to "Find Princess Zelda: Complete" was :discourse:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just Andi Now posted:

Sidon's power counts you as wet for the Water Warrior ability to activate, doubling that weapon's damage for the duration of wetness. Zora weapons are goddamn beasts.

And with 4 pieces of the frog suit the buff lasts for 3 full minutes. Double damage for 3 minutes is an insane buff if you invest in a setup for it, it's what I plan on doing whenever I get the itch to replay

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i've seen this sentiment before, and i wonder how much of it might be down to the two games having very similar (main) world maps. i know i spent a lot more time in BotW just seeing the sights for the sake of itself than I did in TotK. maybe being able to fly over everything instead of finding land routes contributed too, idk

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. The map being reused, plus being much easier to see/traverse through going into the sky and using machines, means the mystery of exploration is mostly gone. And as a player I'm much more mercenary about just jumping from point to point to dig up little secrets. Which, to be fair, is what most of the Zeldas felt like prior to BOTW: the discovery was more about what you find packed into each area, much less "what's over this mountain?"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On that front I much prefer Tears. Breath was alright but it severely lacked things to do and I didn't think the graphic fidelity was such that the exploration for the sake of it had any net results for me. The view from atop the mountain I just climbed didn't blow me away. At least in this game there'll probably be a cave or a monster den up there instead of a shrine or nothing at all. Plus if I didn't want to deal with the slow arduous process of climbing up a mountain chances are a handy falling rock can serve as an elevator for me. I tend not to use flying stuff on the land and rather run, ride or fast travel to where I want to go. But in the depths and in the sky I tend to build myself that silly looking hoverbike and fly around.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I tried and tried and bounced repeatedly off BotW. To be fair I was in a way different place in my life with infant children and a new job when BotW came out. But TotK instantly hooked me like no other game has in like over a decade.

Different strokes etc. “TotK is a dogshit Activision busywork game” has to be one of the worst takes I’ve seen in a long time though. You don’t have to do ANY of the busy work poo poo! If you disliked it and did it anyway that was all on you

To soften my stance a little, I did not play hundreds of hours of BotW. If I had I guess I could see being a little put off by the similarities

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 19, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last night I finally finished the 151st shrine (I had to look the final 4 up because I couldn't find them at all- my final one was in a goddamned well) and got the Aspect of the Ancient Hero. It's really a wild set and didn't realize that it could be upgraded.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BotW is very good but also I don't think I'll ever play it again now that TotK exists. I know that they weren't the only thing to do but it really felt like shrines were 95% of exploration in the game (still played thru 3 times). I think the addition of caves and the sky helps BotW a lot, a long with some more interesting quests and stuff to discover. Both fantastic games though.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
A couple of years ago I received Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity as a gift and never played until last night. It's pretty wild. That it uses almost all media resources from BOTW but packages them in a completely different way was incredibly disorienting at first. Thirty minutes into it, I didn't think I could get into it after BOTW/TOTK, but nope, I'm hooked, if not so much the gameplay but the story. Kudos to the team for building some post-BOTW heartstrings like King Dorephan telling Mipha she can pilot Vah Ruta only if she promises to come back safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Last night I finally finished the 151st shrine (I had to look the final 4 up because I couldn't find them at all- my final one was in a goddamned well) and got the Aspect of the Ancient Hero.
Wait, how did you figure out which 4 you were missing? Is there a list somewhere in the game that shows you what you've done and their shrine names, or did you manually go through the map and make a list and then correlate that with whatever you looked up? :catstare: