Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem is that capitalism eats away at the social mechanisms that make something like that viable. Kingship is about mystique, in one way or another, and capitalism is about pretending to live in a fully rational world.

Also, if you thought the Hungarians were disagreeable from 1850-1919, good luck getting them to not beat up on the other nations of the Empire now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

For such a big release you would think there would be something that would pull a little culturally, but I just haven't heard nothing about it if I didn't hunt for it. I have heard far more about the Cyberpunk expansion, in contrast.

I mean, this is a company that used to put out giant releases; it really doesn't feel like one.

yeah its a new IP instead of elder scrolls 6 (woke redguards edition). Like in a couple of years its gonna have Master Chief vs Adeptus Astartes vs Clone Troopers mods and people won't be saying the game is mid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

this war is boring now. close the thread

slava palestini

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's for driving right up to your targets house and assassinating them with a point blank execution shot and then driving away into the night

you do have to be careful when building the scaffolding though

lol at the idea of an agent 47 style legendary never captured or identified master assassin who kills every single one of their targets with the main turret of a tank before stealthily exfiltrating in the disguised tank

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, if you thought the Hungarians were disagreeable from 1850-1919, good luck getting them to not beat up on the other nations of the Empire now.

Would you care to expand on the place of the Hungarians in the empire? Like they were a captive people who were accorded privileges not granted to the other captive nations, is that right?

OctaMurk posted:

sorry guys fighting the 2nd army in the world, ur gonna have to economize. the most powerful army in the middle east requires these missiles to battle guys in flipflops with kalashnikovs and paragliders

America is sending air defence to Iran?!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Kingship is about mystique

That's only if the King lacks the power to make his myth real

If I were King, my reign would be the stuff of legends...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol at the idea of an agent 47 style legendary never captured or identified master assassin who kills every single one of their targets with the main turret of a tank before stealthily exfiltrating in the disguised tank

placing an extra large cardboard box over my tank to allow me to sneak around successfully

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

supersnowman posted:

Can't wait to learn the penetration value of an APFSDS going below the speed of sound at the muzzle.

Well, the special non supersonic ammo for silenced guns required to sound "click" instead of "boom" usually preserves the energy and thus lethality of the round by increasing the weight of the projectile. So maybe a fuckoff long penetrator could do the same for tanks or arty.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Delta-Wye posted:

placing an extra large cardboard box over my tank to allow me to sneak around successfully

That's just standard anti-drone warfare

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Truga posted:

slava palestini

You know it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Would you care to expand on the place of the Hungarians in the empire? Like they were a captive people who were accorded privileges not granted to the other captive nations, is that right?

They weren’t really a captive people because it was a dual monarchy. A personal union sort of like Scotland. Just like Scotland, they were big into the military.

Unlike the UK, Austria-Hungry devolved a great deal of power to the constituent parts so the parliament of Hungary could set policies for Royal (as opposed to Imperial) lands - including areas where Slovenes, Ruthenians, Poles and so on lived, and the Hungarians never passed laws giving them the rights groups on Austrian lands had.

An example of this would be the German lands held by the Hannovarians, like Hesse. Yes, they sent troops to fight the Revolutionary War, the Kings German Legion in the Napoleonic Wars, but they were less down to amend laws on the status of women, so when Victoria inherited, she inherited England and Scotland but lost all of the German lands which went to male heirs.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Oct 14, 2023

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't the Hungarians lean so hard into ethno-nationalism in 1848 they ended up having to fight Croats as well as the Austrians

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait we missed emomali rahmons birthday??? we forgot to give him a present!!!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

maybe I'm dumb, but why does a chinese light show for a russian head of state have its text in english

Herbert Stencil
Aug 25, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seyser Koze posted:

maybe I'm dumb, but why does a chinese light show for a russian head of state have its text in english

I mean if they wanted Putin to see it I think their main options are English or Russian, and English has a much larger receptive audience

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

Didn't the Hungarians lean so hard into ethno-nationalism in 1848 they ended up having to fight Croats as well as the Austrians

Yep

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Here's a meme from China about current events.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The most accurate political compass I've ever seen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

having difficulty with sense of scale. do y'all think ukraine 2023 or the western front 1915 had the most land change hands in that year?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

this thing still going on?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lumpentroll posted:

this thing still going on?

Yeah they already filmed the whole season probably just cancel it after those get aired

sum
Nov 15, 2010

i say swears online posted:

having difficulty with sense of scale. do y'all think ukraine 2023 or the western front 1915 had the most land change hands in that year?

The Western Front in 1915 was incredibly static, there was more movement in Ukraine this year. That said, the total land regained by Ukraine in the summer counteroffensive is about as much or less than the total amount of land regained at the Somme in 1916 (~300 sq km).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like uhhhh what's changed since the "bakhmut era". Is it still the bakhmut era? I remember there was a counteroffensive that didn't seem to go anywhere. Is the line just still kinda squiggling, and everyone on the ukraine side assumes russia is running out of ammo and everyone on the russia side assumes ukraine is running out of soldiers?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BearsBearsBears posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

lol "anti-war-ism"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

oh good lord that is sad.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
:flaccid:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Virtual Russian posted:

oh good lord that is sad.

Why are people posting a random clip from Downfall?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Majorian posted:

lol "anti-war-ism"

Drake no: "No war"
Drake yes: "No war but class war"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

looks exactly how i expected an army made of of conscripted plumbers, office workers and teachers to look

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SLAVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Skull Face is magyar???

:aaaaa:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Why are people posting a random clip from Downfall?

The important bit is at the end in russian where the guy is explaining the advisors are leaving for Israel to fight aboriginals.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

They weren’t really a captive people because it was a dual monarchy. A personal union sort of like Scotland. Just like Scotland, they were big into the military.

Unlike the UK, Austria-Hungry devolved a great deal of power to the constituent parts so the parliament of Hungary could set policies for Royal (as opposed to Imperial) lands - including areas where Slovenes, Ruthenians, Poles and so on lived, and the Hungarians never passed laws giving them the rights groups on Austrian lands had.

An example of this would be the German lands held by the Hannovarians, like Hesse. Yes, they sent troops to fight the Revolutionary War, the Kings German Legion in the Napoleonic Wars, but they were less down to amend laws on the status of women, so when Victoria inherited, she inherited England and Scotland but lost all of the German lands which went to male heirs.

I'm sure you know a great deal more of the history but the failed wars of independence in 1703–1711 and 1848 gave me the impression Hungary was captive. They just won more political power during those and other actions.

Herbert Stencil posted:

I mean if they wanted Putin to see it I think their main options are English or Russian, and English has a much larger receptive audience

Our boy Poots is fluent in German too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Men you're the best. The uh, best of what's left.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

For such a big release you would think there would be something that would pull a little culturally, but I just haven't heard nothing about it if I didn't hunt for it. I have heard far more about the Cyberpunk expansion, in contrast.

I mean, this is a company that used to put out giant releases; it really doesn't feel like one.

how could people not like loading screens, terrible UI/optimization and pointless inventory limits IN SPACE

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
whoa i searched ghosted of kiev and i said it first? crepe prepare to be sued into oblivion

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Men you're the best. The uh, best of what's left.

and now we have to literally abandon you, sorry!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zoeb posted:

I remember the Euromaidan protests. The former president was a crook and I can't imagine all of those people were CIA agents or otherwise on the payroll. There was legitimate and organic criticism of the Ukrainian government. The US probably benefited sure but they could not have made an impact at all had there not already been a pre-existing rejection of the government by the Ukrainian public.

I remember the January 6th protests. The elected president was a crook and I can't imagine all of those people were KGB agents or otherwise on the payroll. There was legitimate and organic criticism of the United States government. Russia probably benefited sure but they could not have made an impact at all had there not already been a pre-existing rejection of the government by the American public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It think it's cool and good that the Ukraine war ended, just like that. I know it's ended, because all of a sudden, there's no news articles and nobody's talking about it any more!