Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

the rays were one win from you being able to use the fourth kid's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Intruder posted:

the rays were one win from you being able to use the fourth kid's face

The Rays find more ways to be disappointing

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I am forced to conclude that the Minnesota Twins, as the least embarrassing exit of the round, are the 5th best team in baseball, and furthermore that the AL Central is better than the AL East.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not finding any fault with this logic

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

I am forced to conclude that the Minnesota Twins, as the least embarrassing exit of the round, are the 5th best team in baseball, and furthermore that the AL Central is better than the AL East.

Big agree

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Miz Kriss posted:

The Rays find more ways to be disappointing

Lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hey now

this happened to the braves last year too (if you mean the 100 wins thing, not the #1 seed thing)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

only the Bird is confused, the Barve has accepted his fate under the hood of shame

I thought about putting the Atlanta hat on the background guy in the first image and a Rays hat on the hooded victim, but I'd already gone too far and well :effort:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ah I see

Just saw the stat that the Braves had the lead for six total Phillies plate appearances. What a one sided series

e:

https://twitter.com/UnfortunateMLB/status/1712694791719289341

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 13, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I feel like a Twitter titled "Baseball Images that Precede Unfortunate Events" could just be a Bob Nightengale repost bot.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the anti-Cassandra, everyone listens to him but he’s always wrong

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
At least the Orioles made the playoffs this year. The last time they won 100 games in 1980 they missed postseason since the Yankees won 103.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I still can't believe Pillar didn't score on that wild pitch

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yeah it rules so much

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I still can't believe Pillar didn't score on that wild pitch

I mean I get it on paper: you've got the bases loaded with two outs and the presumptive NL MVP up at the plate, why risk getting thrown out trying to score on a wild pitch, especially when even if you did score your team is still behind? In hindsight now it's funny that he held up but if he'd been tagged out there the whole narrative would be that Pillar lost them the game by taking the bat out of Acuna's hand in a huge moment.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'd agree with that if it were the 9th but it was the 7th, you can at least narrow the score and he would have easily scored. The 9th looks a lot different if it's a 1 run game when Atlanta gets runners on the corners with no outs (yes I know you can't presume everything else goes exactly the same)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
To play devil's advocate, the ball did take a very Phillies-friendly bounce, going almost straight back to Realmuto. That may've been why he pulled up.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CapnAndy posted:

To play devil's advocate, the ball did take a very Phillies-friendly bounce, going almost straight back to Realmuto. That may've been why he pulled up.

I still think Realmuto had a play at first.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

more falafel please posted:

I still think Realmuto had a play at first.
To devil's advocate that because I get off on contrarianism, I cannot imagine making that throw on anything but the surest of things, because you give up a run if you're wrong.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only thing I can think of was that he didn't want to start a rundown because then Pillar might sneak home. There was no way the runner was getting back to first safely barring a bad throw

e: JT has the ball at this point

but he's also not looking at the other runners, he's looking at Kimbrel and Pillar so maybe by the time he reacted it was too late

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes but that's also long past the point where Pillar made the decision not to run. If he had run at the first sign of Acuña waving him home, he'd be somewhere far closer to the plate in that frame.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I understand that, I took a screenshot of where the trail runners where when JT got the ball. I couldn't take one of Pillar's position when he decided to turn around because mlb.tv kept freezing on me right around that spot

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Intruder posted:

The only thing I can think of was that he didn't want to start a rundown because then Pillar might sneak home. There was no way the runner was getting back to first safely barring a bad throw

e: JT has the ball at this point

but he's also not looking at the other runners, he's looking at Kimbrel and Pillar so maybe by the time he reacted it was too late
He's definitely doing his job right by having his head fixed on the scoring threat and not caring about what the guy on first may or may not be doing.

My read on the whole play is that there are definitely universes where today we're talking about how Pillar or Realmuto won the game for their teams, but there are also ones where we're talking about how Pillar or Realmuto single-handedly blew it, and in an elimination playoff game, I don't blame either man for deciding on balance that the risk outweighed the reward.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It ended up working out but man, they had a chance to take the bat out of Acuna's hands with the bases loaded and it almost turned into disaster that they didn't. But yes it worked out

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

He's definitely doing his job right by having his head fixed on the scoring threat and not caring about what the guy on first may or may not be doing.

My read on the whole play is that there are definitely universes where today we're talking about how Pillar or Realmuto won the game for their teams, but there are also ones where we're talking about how Pillar or Realmuto single-handedly blew it, and in an elimination playoff game, I don't blame either man for deciding on balance that the risk outweighed the reward.

100% agree

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

100% agreed. Realmuto certainly COULD have got the runner. But in that fast and chaotic a play it’s also easily possible he could have throw it away, Harper could have booted it, they could have got in a rundown, or who knows what. So focusing on making sure the run doesn’t score makes sense to me as the smartest, or at least safest, play.

Pillar probably should have scored too but again, it’s all so fast and who knows what kind of angle or view he had on it. You sure as hell don’t want to make the last out there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

OTOH, I can't remember the last time I've seen a runner get tagged out at home following a wild pitch

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Realmuto is really loving good, I feel like we're in 'whatever he did, it's the right call' territory 99.9% of the time

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OTOH, I can't remember the last time I've seen a runner get tagged out at home following a wild pitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0EpWcI6JpE

doing this exact thing except saying "a cub did this"

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Should any consideration be given to the fact that Bryce is still not, like, the greatest first baseman? That feels like it could play into the calculus of whether to make that throw. Simple catch most of the time, sure, but if it skips in or goes wide it's a harrowing thing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah and he had already had a play in that game where he took an awkward approach to a catch and ended up clipped by the runner. So it’s just a lot of moving parts and variables with the risk being blowing the game entirely.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0EpWcI6JpE

doing this exact thing except saying "a cub did this"

The hive mind remembers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

(Also you forgot to mention Michael A. Taylor, #3 in home runs on the Twins roster despite very much having been acquired for his (also incredible) glove. MAT played some extremely crucial outfield ball this year and I really, really want him to become a fixture for next year after this one.)

This is fair. I didn't forget though, I just chose to leave him off since I was more looking towards next year, he's a free agent, and I think the Twins have viable replacements for him.

He was important though I will give you that.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The AstroDoom is now open

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: PLAYOFF LOSERS :rip:

• October 4, 2023
    The Tampa Bay Rays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Toronto Blue Jays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Milwaulkee Brewers lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Miami Marlins lose the Wild Card Series 0-2

• October 10, 2023
    The Baltimore Orioles lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 11, 2023
    The Minnesota Twins lose the Divisional Series 1-3
    The Los Angeles Dodgers lose the Divisional Series 0-3

• October 12, 2023
    The Atlanta Braves lose the Divisional Series 1-3

• October 23, 2023
    The Houston Astros lose the Championship Series 3-4

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess I can do this now without getting angry replies

The Houston Astros

What went wrong: Not too much, they reached game 7 of the ALCS despite quite a bit of underperformance and injury. If there's anything to really pick, it's that they became utterly incapable of winning at home for the last month of the season and the playoffs. As a result they're the second ever team to lose 4 home games in a playoff series, the first being... the 2019 Astros of course.

Abreu started turning things around and looked like he won't be a total bust of a free agent contract. Bregman had a really down year. Tucker just completely broke once the playoffs started. There doesn't seem to be any realistic way they bring Brantley back next season so they'll need to look for a left fielder, I definitely don't want Yordan playing in the field every day. Get Dusty the hell out of here. Get Maldy the hell out of here.

Pretty much have to hope that Framber and Javier can unfuck themselves in the offseason. Figure out what's going on. Maybe give Brent Strom a call and beg him to come back. Montero was just a bad decision by an owner who didn't think he needed a GM, send him out of town for literally anything you can get. France and Brown will need their innings managed better. Both of them were clearly out of gas toward the end of the season. Young pitchers being overworked on a team managed by Dusty Baker? Couldn't be.

Hopes for next season: better health for Altuve and Yordan, Diaz is the every day catcher, Abreu finally getting healthy means he has a stronger season

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

Gonna go ahead and make some room for the Texas Rangers.

I don't give a poo poo that this was posted September 6th and sorta justified at the time:

if the Rangers somehow win the World Series, ban my stupid rear end for shameless doomposting. It's what I would deserve.:toxx:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

To be frank, even though losing the last two at home sucked I had no faith in the team even getting to this point with a couple weeks to go in the season while they were busy getting swept by the Royals and were the least likely to make the playoffs out of the Rangers, M's and Jays before the series against the M's so even being able to watch and cheer for my favorite team all the way to game 7 of the championship series (though I didn't get a chance to do much cheering in game 7 itself) was nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

To be frank, even though losing the last two at home sucked I had no faith in the team even getting to this point with a couple weeks to go in the season while they were busy getting swept by the Royals and were the least likely to make the playoffs out of the Rangers, M's and Jays before the series against the M's so even being able to watch and cheer for my favorite team all the way to game 7 of the championship series (though I didn't get a chance to do much cheering in game 7 itself) was nice

They just seemed, I don't know what exactly, tired I guess. The team is missing something to give them that spark and I'm not sure where they'd best pick it up from.

Back at the start of the playoffs I said if they win it'd be in the most bullshit way possible and the entire time they never really showed that they'd be able to perform in any other way except for that game 5 Altuve homer. And even then that was kind of bullshitty.