Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody have tool recommendations for trimming tree branches that are brushing the house?

I'm not sure how "pole saw or pole clip" isn't the obvious thing here. Are the branches too high for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how "pole saw or pole clip" isn't the obvious thing here. Are the branches too high for that?

I mean one that doesn't suck rear end and break constantly I guess.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I mean one that doesn't suck rear end and break constantly I guess.

I’ve got the milwaukee m18 pole saw. just attaches to the head of the string trimmer. I’m happy with it as I’ve got a bunch of m18 and m12 poo poo I use for working on my car and motorcycle so it was an easy choice

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a pole pruner with a rope that breaks every year.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 14, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

How high is too high here? Probably another case of "someone will sell you a 30' pole but you probably don't want to use a 30' pole"?

Only alternative is to hire climbers or a crane after that?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have a pruner with a rope that breaks every year.

If it's within lopping distance, I've had a set of these things forever and everyone who has used them ends up wanting one:

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/loppers/powergear-lopper-32-391541-1002

The gear thing LOOKS like it would be some sort of stupid gimmick but I'll be damned if it doesn't seem to actually work.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zarin posted:

If it's within lopping distance, I've had a set of these things forever and everyone who has used them ends up wanting one:

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/loppers/powergear-lopper-32-391541-1002

The gear thing LOOKS like it would be some sort of stupid gimmick but I'll be damned if it doesn't seem to actually work.

That's not what I need for my trees but it does look cooler than my own loppers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Here's the only real solution

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-snm3VYzTQE

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have a pole pruner with a rope that breaks every year.

There's manual pole saws (some with the lopper on the back like my dad's had for 30+ years) and there's chain pole saws which are often electric these days since it's a little chainsaw on the top of a pole. I've used a 120v plug in kind you use with a long extension cord (or generator or whatever) and they seem fine. I think if I was buying one today I'd get a battery operated one in the ecosystem of batteries I'm using.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Tree trimming epilogue: I ended up climbing on the roof and only snagged my pole saw/clipper once, hooray. I managed to free it without falling off the roof.

Also, gently caress I'm old.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I never saw Eelpit guy before! Thank you!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nybble posted:

So on 10/10 I log on for the meeting and it never happened. I email our management company rep and was told that somehow the meeting occurred the previous night, 10/9. The 3 incumbents were the only members, and that’s apparently enough for quorum. Budget with minimal savings was apparently approved. However, the rep then said the meeting will be rescheduled and the previous one will be nullified.

I would try to find a recent article or something about an HOA getting sued, then fabricate "a friend" (I know, goons with friends right?) whose HOA got sued because some busybody neighbor got a bee in their bonnet about being HOA president. They found out meetings weren't taking place, funds weren't being held as a "fiduciary" whatever that is, and their reserve was too low. It cost them a FORTUNE to defend it as a special assessment all going to some sleezeball lawyer. "Turns out, THEY can make US pay for THEIR scummy lawyer! I'm really worried that might happen to us." Put yourself on their side, "us against that sleezeball lawyer." Tell them that's what you wanted to bring up in the meeting. Maybe get 1 other neighbor in on it, or hell, get them afraid too.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/property-owners-association-act/ - The directors are almost certainly not following the bare minimum laws, I feel like most aren't.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody have tool recommendations for trimming tree branches that are brushing the house?

Stop being pretentious and just use your teeth like a normal person

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a basement window that has some mulch in front of it. There's water coming through, and it's likely because the dirt in front of it needs to be dug deeper, some rock put down, and mulch put down over top of it. Who would I contact to do a job like that? An egress window company quoted me $1500, but they said it's really a tiny job for them and they're probably not the right people to do it (ie, we'll do it, but charge you out the butt).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like maybe a handyman job tbh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Loud washer dryer neighbor chat,

I would remove the drywall and sound deaden the space with whatever works best, then go with active noise cancellation equipment if you have money but no desire to move.

Cheaper solution is to hang sound reducing blanket like things. Not sure what you can do about thuds.

Or hire them a house keeper to do laundry during the day.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Hadlock posted:

Eel pit is one of those rare Internet phenomenons that feels like some weird liminal space poo poo you'd accidentally stumble upon in the pre-iphone, pre-Reddit Internet

I see your eel pit dude and raise you lady excavating rocks through her basement to turn her house into a castle.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8hherF9/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tremors posted:

I see your eel pit dude and raise you lady excavating rocks through her basement to turn her house into a castle.

This is surprsingly "well" done. Emphasis on multiple meanings of this word. I look forward to the news article on the inevitable collapse. Hopefully it's just her injured when that happens, and not someone she sold the house to without telling them she had yolo'd out the bedrock.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tremors posted:

Literally the top reply:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Collin Furze has an entire series relating to tunneling through the rock in his backyard, and a couple points under his house and workshop

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGjbAdaOBLBlS1MPKXYmqwZLZhWC1FAMx&si=0jxneQaseaZv7XOP

He's using uh, not sure looks like a similar solution, arched tunnel tops, looks like he uses half or one inch tubing, but then also lines it with sheet metal and then fills the gap with concrete, and got (retroactive) planning permission so presumably a structural engineer signed off on it. Her bedrock looks like it's higher quality than his and I'm not a structural engineer but my guess is that if someone dies from a cave in it'll be a future owner

Her solution seems to use rebar actually in the concrete. Not sure what is the better solution

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Residency Evil posted:

I have a basement window that has some mulch in front of it. There's water coming through, and it's likely because the dirt in front of it needs to be dug deeper, some rock put down, and mulch put down over top of it. Who would I contact to do a job like that? An egress window company quoted me $1500, but they said it's really a tiny job for them and they're probably not the right people to do it (ie, we'll do it, but charge you out the butt).

What you don't have a shovel?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Have you SEEN the price of medical grade shovels lately?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like maybe a handyman job tbh

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Yeah, for $1500 I might do it myself. Is there a guide or something to what should be there as far as rock/etc?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Have you SEEN the price of medical grade shovels lately?

It's not what the shovel actually costs, by the time insurance is done with it the job will only pay $68.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

H110Hawk posted:

It's not what the shovel actually costs, by the time insurance is done with it the job will only pay $68.

You're assuming they're going to give a prior authorization.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

Loud washer dryer neighbor chat,

I would remove the drywall and sound deaden the space with whatever works best, then go with active noise cancellation equipment if you have money but no desire to move.

Cheaper solution is to hang sound reducing blanket like things. Not sure what you can do about thuds.

Or hire them a house keeper to do laundry during the day.

If you're already tearing out drywall, additional layers will reduce noise transmission as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

Landscaper. Look around and bundle this with whatever other digging or cleanup you need done.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

brugroffil posted:

If you're already tearing out drywall, additional layers will reduce noise transmission as well.

Key detail here is that the studs are sound transmitters. If you're really serious about sound proofing then installing new studs that are offset a bit into your space is going to help a lot, but at the cost of literally shrinking your space by a bit

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am extremely skeptical that there is anything you could really do to eliminate or even reduce the noise of a washing machine banging around from coming through the wall. An off-balanced washing machine that also has worn down shock absorbers can make a tremendous amount of noise. That noise/vibration would also be transferred through the floor and ceiling joists that the wall is connected to. I just recently replaced the shock absorbers/struts in my washing machine which made it go from "holy gently caress did something just run into my house???" levels of noise to just normal washing machine noise even when its unbalanced for a minute.

I would bet the problem is just the struts are worn and need to be replaced. That's $40 in parts and 20min job by a repairman. I'd be weirded out though if my neighbor tried to hire a repairman for my appliance. I like the suggestion of just buying them a new one. Probably the most expensive solution but likely the only one that is going to make a meaningful difference imho. Again, kinda weird, but who doesn't love free stuff?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d at least talk to them :shrug:

They probably don’t even realize it’s an issue and maybe possibly could change the way they do things if they had any idea it was causing problems.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

edit-wrong thread

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 16, 2023

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a basement egress window where the egress has sort of sunk and come off the wall. There's also a hole in the ground next to it, in the gravel against the corner of the house (from overflowing gutters I suppose) and another hole next to the wall of the house near the front door.

A landscaping company quoted me 1300 to fix the egress and dig two holes and fill them up properly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"Hi my 3 year old thinks you drying your combat boots in the dryer for 8 hours every night six inches away from their head through the cheapest drywall legal by building code is a monster coming to eat them. I have a budget of $1200 to buy you a new dryer so my kid doesn't grow up with PTSD about laundry, can we make a deal?" is not totally unreasonable

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

"Hi my 3 year old thinks you drying your combat boots in the dryer for 8 hours every night six inches away from their head through the cheapest drywall legal by building code is a monster coming to eat them. I have a budget of $1200 to buy you a new dryer so my kid doesn't grow up with PTSD about laundry, can we make a deal?" is not totally unreasonable

It might not even take that. They could be reasonable and just change when they do laundry but we may never know...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MarcusSA posted:

It might not even take that. They could be reasonable and just change when they do laundry but we may never know...

Op already talked to them and no meaningful change occurred which is why they asked the thread for advice

Sundae posted:

I've asked them to pay attention to balancing their washer (which sounds like it's slamming around to me), and they've said they would but I've not seen any improvement.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

Landscaper. Look around and bundle this with whatever other digging or cleanup you need done.

Thanks. This may be a spring project!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Honestly the best answer is probably just to get the child to sleep in a different room. Negotiating with teens isn't going to work and unbalanced washing machines are loud af.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t follow the home buying thread anymore so this may have been discussed in there but it looks like the federal jury trial in Burnett v. National Association of Realtors is finally underway. I learned about this years ago on SA. It alleges that the 6% commissions, requiring MLS listing, and setting up so seller pays the buyer are all bad for consumers and violations of Sherman anti-trust.

Trying to find a non paywalled link to share that isn’t realtors complaining but this is where i saw it first: https://www.wsj.com/articles/burnett-v-national-association-of-realtors-home-buyers-sellers-brokers-commission-7e58fda0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://archive.ph/9NFgk

Did not know about this. Very interesting.