Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch riddle room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

anatomi posted:

You can tell that the Usher family is no good because they have non-heteronormative relationships and/or are into kinky sex.

Yeah using queerness/kink (same thing in my politics) as a way of suggesting the depravity of wealth really bothered me. Flanagan's had queer characters before in his shows, of course, but they're usually so chaste... the dying AIDS victim, the single lesbian stuck on cishet island. This felt very different, in a bad way.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

White Light posted:

......there's another horror film called Escape Room on here?

I just got done watching this one

Which one's the original and which one's the imposter? :psyduck:

neither of those is the escape room that got a sequel, which is escape room (2019)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Escape Room where you have to escape the room by watching the right Escape Room

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is either of the them the one that involves a ghost possessing one of the actors through a box used in the escape room decoration?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Imagine I did a high effort post here where I photoshop the Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors cover into saying Escape Room.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Escape Room where you have to escape the room so you don't have to watch Escape Room.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Dawn of the Dead's got a similar issue, if I recall, the rights are owned by one of the producers who's real stingy about licensing it. Aside from that big DVD release it got in the early 2000s I don't think that movie's ever felt readily available to me. I've never once seen it on TV, either.

Second Sight did a 4K release of Dawn of the dead im pretty sure in 2 releases one basic and one loaded with features (I have that one) if you have a 4K player you can get this release, 4K discs arent region coded.
I think they did a blu-ray as well

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Dark Harvest has a fairly predictable story but it looks great, a lot of fun to just watch the world it operates in and a fantastic creature on top.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I watched No One Will Save You following the thread's glowing praise. High expectations loving met, what a great experience.

Does any kind goon remember that they took part in discussion about it in here, so I could backtrack their contributions? I know I skipped past a lot of spoilers when I caught up with the thread, but can't find it again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

queerness/kink (same thing in my politics)

What

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Queerness and kink get used interchangably a lot in pop culture portrayals.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Finished the Hell House movies today and those really aren’t any good, are they? Three especially was annoying and boring, with the constant fake digital artifacting and all the reused footage.

If you don’t absolutely love the first one I wouldn’t bother with the rest

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I mean more in the sense that queer, as an umbrella political term, embraces not just non cis normative gender expression and non heteronormative sexual expression but also kink. IMO of course.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

queerness and kink often shake hands and kink was integral to queer liberation, and of course there's the overlap. Kink is also often used in a coding sense to denote nonheteronormative expression

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Finished the Hell House movies today and those really aren’t any good, are they? Three especially was annoying and boring, with the constant fake digital artifacting and all the reused footage.

I think the first one has enough meat on the bones to be worth viewing, the other ones are easy to skip, yeah. You really gotta dig through the trash heap to find the rare gems when it comes to found footage horror flicks I find.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I hated the first one. A lot of it is clearly improvised where the actors were told to just find business and let the scene play out.

The third rips off Sleep No More, which sounds like it could be cool, but that show worked because it’s live interactive theater. Without that it’s just microwaved Macbeth.

Awful series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ugh I thought the Changeling was a limited series, and was already thinking "they could have told this story in 5 episodes, they didn't need 8". And now it's just season 1. So drawn out. I did like it for the most part, LaKeith is on my list of actors that elevate anything they're in.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this one is my least favorite ive done but i think it sort of fits the low budget-ness of the film itself

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SIDS Vicious posted:

this one is my least favorite ive done but i think it sort of fits the low budget-ness of the film itself

Ah drat I'm drawing a blank on this one. The only thing I can think is "Garbage Day".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, that's 100% Garbage Day.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the upper left corner is the garbage can

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

indeed!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

I would frame this and hang it on my wall.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh man the end of episode 2 of Fall of the House of Usher was brutal. Some dark poo poo.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I made this skeleton puppet and I’m decently happy with how it turned out. The skeleton feet are like pitchforks though so if there’s anything in the way I’m guaranteed to get snagged and trip over it. Still two weeks until Halloween though so I have time to refine the design. On Halloween I’ll be outside so hopefully it will be harder to see me behind the skeleton

https://i.imgur.com/OuLAKDh.mp4

Also I watched History of the Occult last night and I think I need to watch it again. It was really absorbing and I think I paid close attention to it but that ending was nuts. I think I missed a lot of the clues to what was really happening.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
watched exorcist believer and i hated it. can movies light their scenes so half of the screen isnt just black

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deadite posted:

Also I watched History of the Occult last night and I think I need to watch it again. It was really absorbing and I think I paid close attention to it but that ending was nuts. I think I missed a lot of the clues to what was really happening.
I watched it for the second time showing it to some friends and it definitely helped. It drops you in, there's a lot of characters whose roles it's hard to keep track of at first, and (in my case) it didn't help that the tubi subtitles were substandard
I've gotten bad or sloppy subtitles in a movie theater (actually think it was When Evil Lurks) and that poo poo is so annoying. Pay your translators more I guess? I dunno.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched it for the second time showing it to some friends and it definitely helped. It drops you in, there's a lot of characters whose roles it's hard to keep track of at first, and (in my case) it didn't help that the tubi subtitles were substandard
I've gotten bad or sloppy subtitles in a movie theater (actually think it was When Evil Lurks) and that poo poo is so annoying. Pay your translators more I guess? I dunno.

One thing that really confused me was Abel’s (I think that was his name, the guy with the mustache) death. Everyone is doing the sensory deprivation and when the one guy takes his blindfold off María is hurt and Abel is dead, and she says he was a warlock and attacked her and the professor, but I don’t remember any indications of that beforehand. Was that just meant to be a mystery?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

I watched No One Will Save You following the thread's glowing praise. High expectations loving met, what a great experience.

Does any kind goon remember that they took part in discussion about it in here, so I could backtrack their contributions? I know I skipped past a lot of spoilers when I caught up with the thread, but can't find it again.

yo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deadite posted:

I made this skeleton puppet and I’m decently happy with how it turned out. The skeleton feet are like pitchforks though so if there’s anything in the way I’m guaranteed to get snagged and trip over it. Still two weeks until Halloween though so I have time to refine the design. On Halloween I’ll be outside so hopefully it will be harder to see me behind the skeleton

lookatdat boney man! so good

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Deadite posted:

This rules.

Maybe if the attachment point was more near the top of your calves/its tibia? The feet might kind of dangle so you’d have to somehow deal with that, but it’d at least let you step over stuff.

Stairs are gonna suck no matter what though.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Happy Saturday the 14th!

Tonight’s scream stream features are:

Saw 3D (2010)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1477076/parentalguide

https://www.unconsentingmedia.org/items/6422

Followed by:

Dead Alive (1992)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0103873/parentalguide

https://www.unconsentingmedia.org/items/2250

And stay up for the post show! Featuring:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)

And…

Brimstone (1998)

You can watch tonight with preshow starting at 8:00 PM EST and the Features beginning at 8:30. Join in on https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak . Chat via the integrated site discord, or you can join directly at https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ . Spooky travels, and see you next weekend, starting on Friday night!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brimstone rules, it was ahead of its time. Supernatural before Supernatural

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight was pretty fun. 90 minutes, big bloody gore effects, funny shocking kills, and lots of Billy Zane. Good stuff.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm upset I'm going to miss Dead/Alive. But work comes first.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Medullah posted:

Oh man the end of episode 2 of Fall of the House of Usher was brutal. Some dark poo poo.

Is this series worth watching? I've tried some tv horror before but man they were some real duds, im wondering if it's a case of me having poor luck or if the television format isn't the best for the horror genre 🤔

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch Chucky. It’s awesome

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

White Light posted:

Is this series worth watching? I've tried some tv horror before but man they were some real duds, im wondering if it's a case of me having poor luck or if the television format isn't the best for the horror genre 🤔

I'm on episode 4 and really enjoying it. I'm a big Poe fan so it's awesome seeing all the not so subtle Easter eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Thanks, discussion happened much earlier than I remembered when speeding past those spoilers. Would have searched my rear end off.