Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been thinking of doing a maximum dysfunction party run someday. With Eldoth as the lynchpin, because he has unique banters with Shar-teel, Xan and Skie and I'm pretty sure they also all hate each other in their generic banters. Dunno who the sixth would be, I don't think anyone else has a unique beef with any of them or a generic beef with all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've been thinking of doing a maximum dysfunction party run someday. With Eldoth as the lynchpin, because he has unique banters with Shar-teel, Xan and Skie and I'm pretty sure they also all hate each other in their generic banters. Dunno who the sixth would be, I don't think anyone else has a unique beef with any of them or a generic beef with all of them.

Tiax.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ajantis will eventually try to murder any evil party members, so he'd pair well with Eldoth.

Montaron talks poo poo about almost everybody. It'll lead to problems if Khalid and Jaheira are in the party.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ajantis will eventually try to murder any evil party members, so he'd pair well with Eldoth.

Montaron talks poo poo about almost everybody. It'll lead to problems if Khalid and Jaheira are in the party.

Not sure if it's accurate but the wiki says Xan and only Xan can talk Ajantis out of murder if he's in the party too

All these random group interactions 99% of players will never see lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alright after finishing both my runs of bg3 I'm gonna plow myself back into finishing bg1 and 2.
Just have to remember what I was doing in my old saves. :sweatdrop:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Apologies for asking a question that's almost certainly been asked previously.. but is playing Baldurs Gate 1 essential (or even just particularly recommended?) before playing BG2?

The description in the OP makes BG2 sound more my speed, and curiously that one is currently on sale on Steam where BG1 isn't.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You can play any of the three games in isolation because all three are masterpieces in their own right, really

Until 3 came out I honestly preferred 1 because I am so into the low level "desperate to search your inventory and find a way to harm this thing" D&D experience over the "kaboom, kaboom, everyone dies" experience. Though both are great

Especially the "99% of players will not see this" spirit that pervades the design of the series. There is always more to discover and I will love these games forever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bumhead posted:

Apologies for asking a question that's almost certainly been asked previously.. but is playing Baldurs Gate 1 essential (or even just particularly recommended?) before playing BG2?

The description in the OP makes BG2 sound more my speed, and curiously that one is currently on sale on Steam where BG1 isn't.

It's not essential. Bg2 will get you up to speed on the story in the intro videos.

That said, I do think Bg1 is a great game and it's a fun experience to go all the way from Bg1---> TOB. But starting from bg2 is perfectly fine. If you end up liking the games enough you will almost certainly replay them again later like we all do and you can always try bg1 then

Suspicious posted:

We still have a month and change to go, but start thinking about your ironman gimmicks!

Oh man. I hope I can get through bg2 with my dumb scs settings now. My unofficial best last year was being just about to go to Spellhold before dying to a Lightning Bolt Trap in Firkraag's Dungeon :v:.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 14, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The journey from BG1 through BG2’s expansion is incredible. Killing demigods has a bigger impact after you’ve struggled at level 1.

That said, BG1 is a pretty spartan game in a lot of ways. Lots of wilderness, not a huge amount of party interaction and also it takes several levels before you have much in your toolkit to handle tougher encounters. You’ll die to lightning strikes, wolves, jerks who hang around inns. So go into it knowing that your character and the series evolve.

If you’ve enjoyed other older rpgs (Gothic, Ultima, Morrowind, anything where you’re a wet paper bag at the start), you’ll definitely enjoy BG1. If not, no harm in starting with BG2 and going back to BG1 for a full playthrough once you’re comfortable with it

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As horrible as level 1 AD&D might be, I feel like that this early level range, say 2->6 is actually solidly entertaining. That's a range where all those spells/wands are absolute monsters, before enemies start being immune or saving everything. Melee is tough, but again, once a couple levels are in, heavy melee fighters pack a punch and enemies in that range don't yet have huge hit dice pools. Same goes for bow users. There are plenty of opportunities to punch above your weight which isn't as much the case later. Yes, everything can kill you, but it doesn't take much to flip the table and be the one doing the killing. The whole journey from Candlekeep to Baldur's Gate is a lot of fun, and that wilderness is a cool playground to find out how much you can push your wannabe adventurers against the odds.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh man. I hope I can get through bg2 with my dumb scs settings now. My unofficial best last year was being just about to go to Spellhold before dying to a Lightning Bolt Trap in Firkraag's Dungeon :v:.

No excuses! I've gone all the way to the final boss in '11 with Ascension installed! ... and died.

Wow we've been doing this for a long time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

No excuses! I've gone all the way to the final boss in '11 with Ascension installed! ... and died.

Wow we've been doing this for a long time.

I think the furthest I ever got was like 10 years ago when we started doing this. I got an Archer to Yaga-Shura and died because I had so many buffs on my guy I didn't realize I was taking damage.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wolfsheim posted:

Not sure if it's accurate but the wiki says Xan and only Xan can talk Ajantis out of murder if he's in the party too

All these random group interactions 99% of players will never see lol

Some of the interactions on there are from the BG1 NPC Project mod; there's very few in the base game. I don't know about that particular one; I've ever had Ajantis and Xan in the same party, maybe he can come along for the ride.

Though I think the single most obscure banter set in the base game is between Edwin and Alora. They inexplicably get along very well, which Edwin finds very confusing.

Bumhead posted:

It is absolutely not essential. BG2 will summarize its plot in the opening segment, and whenever you meet a returning character, you can just say you don't know who they are, and they will explain your relationship, sometimes with a snide comment, but no actual offense. It was written to be accessible to someone who started the series there.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 15, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Some of the interactions on there are from the BG1 NPC Project mod; there's very few in the base game. I don't know about that particular one; I've ever had Ajantis and Xan in the same party, maybe he can come along for the ride.

Though I think the single most obscure banter set in the base game is between Edwin and Alora. They inexplicably get along very well, which Edwin finds very confusing.

yeah the wiki keeps adding mod content in and it's getting pretty bad. like most npcs now have terrible portraits added from some mod or another.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

If you’ve enjoyed other older rpgs (Gothic, Ultima, Morrowind, anything where you’re a wet paper bag at the start), you’ll definitely enjoy BG1. If not, no harm in starting with BG2 and going back to BG1 for a full playthrough once you’re comfortable with it

Not that I disagree with this in general, but... What's Ultima doing here? IV, the first modern one in the series, is *checks watch* 38 years old. :ohno:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well if you enjoyed Ultima IV, Gothic, and Morrowind, it IS basically a guarantee you will enjoy Baldur's Gate 1

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well if you enjoyed Ultima IV, Gothic, and Morrowind, it IS basically a guarantee you will enjoy Baldur's Gate 1

This is undoubtedly true!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, I thought it was a bit presumptuous to say OP would or would not enjoy the game, so I asked myself "what type of person would, with 100% certainty, enjoy BG1?" and came up with a pointlessly specific answer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The journey from BG1 through BG2’s expansion is incredible. Killing demigods has a bigger impact after you’ve struggled at level 1.

That said, BG1 is a pretty spartan game in a lot of ways. Lots of wilderness, not a huge amount of party interaction and also it takes several levels before you have much in your toolkit to handle tougher encounters. You’ll die to lightning strikes, wolves, jerks who hang around inns. So go into it knowing that your character and the series evolve.

If all the old crpgs like Ultima wasteland wizardly fallout I gunns bg2 the easiest to pick up now.

I tried to play the old Ultima games and couldn't even figure out the controls

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Today's terrible question inspired by the occasional re-reading of my original manuals for the first two Baldur's Gate games

What the hell does it say on the map on page 39 of the first game's manual, right about where the Gnoll citadel is? Looks like "something point here won't mention 'cept I were a fool" and is probably totally innocuous and boring but the sheer tininess of the writing is intriguing me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm bad at gimp, but maybe this is a little easier on the eyes:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"Think <dunno> <dunno> won't/wasn't run there, cept were I a fool" is what I get.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"Think <dunno> <dunno> won't/wasn't run there, cept were I a fool" is what I get.
Ooooh, "run there" looks right and could open up why the earlier parts are even harder to understand if they are uncommon terms/names or something

I kep thinking surely that map is from another source originally, but I suppose they did not know they were making such an important game at the time so they might have actually shrunk something down to the point of illegibility despite it never being produced anywhere else

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol I found this polish color version of the same map, do post it if you find an english version but it has the text legible. No idea if it's fan-made or what.

It says "nie bylem tutaj i nie bede bo nie jestem glupi" which google tells me means "I haven't been here and I won't be because I'm not stupid". I don't know how to get there but it seems fitting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"I ain't been before, won't run there, 'cept were I a fool," if I had to guess, based mostly on given context and words that could conceivably fit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Close! It says:

quote:

I ain't
been here
won't neither
cept
were I
a fool.

Source: the back of my original big box BG1

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I found this polish color version of the same map, do post it if you find an english version but it has the text legible. No idea if it's fan-made or what.

It says "nie bylem tutaj i nie bede bo nie jestem glupi" which google tells me means "I haven't been here and I won't be because I'm not stupid". I don't know how to get there but it seems fitting.

Oh that was added to the OG release, Baldur's Gate was one of the first BIG localization efforts in the polish sphere of gaming and that extended to the feelies and, of course, instructions

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

bike tory posted:

Close! It says:

Source: the back of my original big box BG1

WE DID IT

Thanks everybody.

Armed with the knowledge that we would be fools to go there, I will be avoiding that area in all future playthroughs

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

TheHoosier posted:

Honestly, probably a better use of her

It'd be cool if they did that, but you could still save her. It'd be a more interesting thing to do with her than just making her a traditional damsel in distress.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Both the damsel AND the distress. Women really can have it all.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Some posters in this thread are bad pretend siblings. Gorion would be sad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Some posters in this thread are bad pretend siblings. Gorion would be sad.

Good thing he’s dead then.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arivia posted:

Good thing he’s dead then.
You take that back right now!!! :cry:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Setup a EE trilogy run a few months ago I've been playing off and on and wanted to use different characters than I normally do. Grabbed Quayle from the carvinal (used the mod to move him) and this guy is kind of great? I guess it never occured me to that both him and Aerie are cleric/mage. I'm near the end of BG1 now having wrung out all the content I could bother to do. Some quests seemed like too much effort for minimal gain. I didn't really install any new quests for my EET install either because I just never found myself enjoying quest mods. They always seem completely overtuned in my experience. Was fun using not my normal party I use every time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never really used Quayle, but yeah, cleric/illusionist is a stupid good class, and he even comes with the ability to summon a ghast once per day for whatever reason.

e: whoops, misremembered. That does make more sense

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 17, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've never really used Quayle, but yeah, cleric/illusionist is a stupid good class, and he even comes with the ability to summon a ghast once per day for whatever reason.

Nah that's Tiax. Quayle gets a free Invisibility instead

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Quayle's stats are real bad but his class is strong enough that it doesn't matter much. Anything that can use wands plus sleep/command/hold person etc is automatically OP as gently caress in bg1

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I brute forced BG1 without ever using sleep or command once lol whoops

But I was an overpowered blackguard rolling with the overpowered evil party (plus Imoen and Coran) so :shrug:

I assume BG2 will flatten my rear end for not understanding basic mechanics when I get there eventually. How long + meaty is Siege of Dragonspear?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you bumrush the main quest, SoD is a few hours of playtime, I guess.

The main mechanic you need to know for BG2 is spell countering. Get used to reading the log to check which spells an enemy mage just cast and hope you have the right counter memorised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah whichever mod it is that moves late game NPCs to more accessible locations is very worthwhile. Alora, Quayle and Tiax are all very well worth using but so few people do because of how late they appear. A casualty of how the devs expected players to basically just treat the NPCs like a revolving door.

Quayle's also a massive rear end in a top hat in BG1. Very different from the few interactions you have with him in BG2, I'm not sure exactly why. I think the idea is that he has mellowed as a result of taking Aerie under his wing?