Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There were a few articles that came out about it back in August, but I haven't seen anyone actually bitching about it until the past week.
https://www.androidauthority.com/youtube-anti-adblocking-feature-3354930/
I started getting it on the 5th.

"This isn’t a new development, as people began noticing warning messages as early as June. If you’re determined to watch YouTube without ads and without becoming a Premium member, your options are pretty limited. There are downloader extensions that will let you watch videos offline, but YouTube is also in the process of cracking down on that too."

At the moment I have disabled any extra adblockers other than Ublock origin since they weren't working and updated Ublock and am not getting any nags for the past day.
Of course this has happened a few times after I updated the extension, until it started again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I just started getting the popups about a week ago too. Newpipe seems to still work fine on my phone though for now.

They are definitely smart to roll this out very gradually. The popup warning seems almost random for me like it won't happen through several videos but then happen a few times in rapid succession. It stops playback when it comes up though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 14, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got the messages first asking me to turn off my adblocker but the “x” to close appeared right away. Then I got the pop ups where there was a timer before the x appeared. Now I get these:

iPad, Safari

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Is there any risk that adblockers will just stop working at all on Youtube, or is this just the latest shot in the adblock wars?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
They'll eventually put the ads in the video stream, which will be unblockable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sinky posted:

They'll eventually put the ads in the video stream, which will be unblockable.

So I'm assuming the reason they don't do that already is just because it's hard to do when your trying to put in tailored ad's to everyone right?

Otherwise you could just chuck it in while encoding. Although it does seem like, as you are streaming the video from them, if they just slipped in video to the stream, making it look to everything external identical to what your watching, than there's not really much an ad blocker could do.

Like why ad blockers seem to work so well on youtube is because however they do it, they make the ads very apparently ad's so the ad blockers can easily identify them.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure that's what twitch does.

youtube could have done the current anti adblock stuff years ago, they just didn't care. Now they do. When they feel like injecting ads into the videos, they'll do that as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I haven’t tried for a whole, but I’ll be sad when youtube downloader extensions stop working.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd like to think another video streaming service, but just looking at twitter and how long people are still desperately clinging to that despite everything, and yeah that's not gonna happen.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

dr_rat posted:

So I'm assuming the reason they don't do that already is just because it's hard to do when your trying to put in tailored ad's to everyone right?
A big technical problem with burned-in ads is that videos are seekable. Adding them to live streams isn't trivial, but it's obvious what the result needs to be at least. Doing it with seekable videos forces them to be skippable, it screws up all the timestamps, it doesn't actually stop ad blockers if the ads are inserted at non-random offsets, it leaves the ad in the stream after it's already been played.

AFAIK it'd be easier for them to do things like dynamic obfuscation of the page and scripts.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 14, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Eventually they'll be streaming the ads wirelessly to our brains so you can't avoid them, Futurama style.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Even Twitch has alternate players or blockers that can block the in-stream ads:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/twitch_5/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/twitch-ad-blocker/

These just hide the ads rather than skipping everything, though I kinda of remember a recent version that could just skip everything? Not sure if that still works at all.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 14, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I wish there was a more pro-active ad blocker, one that just went and burnt down all the advertising officers and salted the earth so none more will ever grow.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

dr_rat posted:

I wish there was a more pro-active ad blocker, one that just went and burnt down all the advertising officers and salted the earth so none more will ever grow.

Those would be programs that hide most advertisements but goes ahead and opens a thousand 1 pixel windows to click on them all a thousand times to pointlessly cost everyone as much money as they can. Not sure how that concept would work on videos.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pesty13480 posted:

Those would be programs that hide most advertisements but goes ahead and opens a thousand 1 pixel windows to click on them all a thousand times to pointlessly cost everyone as much money as they can. Not sure how that concept would work on videos.

Does this actually exist?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I used to set my VPN to poland because they had laws or something to block twitch from having ads. Does that still work,?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, but they’re mostly used by the people posting the ads to pretend users are engaging with them and get the ad network to pay out more. So they’re even more aggressive about banning this sort of thing than individual user ad blockers

Or by users who get paid per ad click (this used to be a thing a decade or two ago before everyone realized programs like this remove whatever feasibility it ever had)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

banned from Starbucks posted:

I used to set my VPN to poland because they had laws or something to block twitch from having ads. Does that still work,?

Just tested this a bit and after allowing twitch to set cookies, yeah it looks like it works.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

This one clicks at least once? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adnauseam

The claimed purpose is to throw off targeted ads by clicking everything that shows up (right before blocking it). Sounds decent, though it doesn't click multiple times, would that tactic even work to cost them more money since its the same IP clicking?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mercury_Storm posted:

Just tested this a bit and after allowing twitch to set cookies, yeah it looks like it works.

My hope that the DSA regulation, which requires ads to be clearly indicated, separated from "content" and accompanied with some basic transparency information, will put stop to efforts to simply bake ads into videos in all of EU.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

steinrokkan posted:

My hope that the DSA regulation, which requires ads to be clearly indicated, separated from "content" and accompanied with some basic transparency information, will put stop to efforts to simply bake ads into videos in all of EU.
Haven't read the law, but I guess they just need to bake in a full screen "this is an ad" disclaimer that complies with DSA before the baked in ads. I don't think the need to be separated is at an encoding/streaming level, they just have to be clearly recognizable as advertising material.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

I haven’t tried for a whole, but I’ll be sad when youtube downloader extensions stop working.

They may defeat extensions but I don't think yt-dlp is going anywhere, and it's extremely easy to use as far as command line programs go.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Fun thing is I'd normally be kinda okay with paying for an ad-free experience but YouTube Premium costs 90% of Netflix for Internet junkfood content, and a large slice of it is thoroughly crapped up by being made for ad monetization.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OneEightHundred posted:

Fun thing is I'd normally be kinda okay with paying for an ad-free experience but YouTube Premium costs 90% of Netflix for Internet junkfood content, and a large slice of it is thoroughly crapped up by being made for ad monetization.

I thought they were attempting homegrown studio content like Netflix and Amazon, or did they end up sparing us?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
They did a bunch of content back when it was called YouTube Red, but I haven't seen much premium only content pushed recently.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There are worthwhile youtube creators. Honestly, youtube has more content I like than any streamer, and in greater variety. The hard part is finding your niches and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do the work. It's an enormous time and energy cost compared to googling "top streaming comedies." Especially if your niche has content creators with sub-1k subscriber counts

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DashnerDesignRestoration Dashner Design and Restoration is simply the best. A guy with a low, soothing voice finds mid-century furniture in terrible condition, then patiently disassembles, repairs, and refinishes them. When there's nothing to say, he doesn't say it. There's no music. Just this guy, with his tools, turning junk back into the beautiful object it was when made. A++++

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah I would much rather pay for YouTube than Netflix or any of the other streamers. For one I'm using it as a music player and on my phone much more than any other streamer, and the content on YouTube is a much bigger pain to find in other ways (if it's even possible) than the stuff on Netflix or the like.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
I keep ignoring the adblocker popup and nothing happened. Im logged in on firefox

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Anchor Wanker posted:

I keep ignoring the adblocker popup and nothing happened. Im logged in on firefox

Same. It's a ten second wait for the close button to appear but that's the only consequence so far.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/c/DashnerDesignRestoration Dashner Design and Restoration is simply the best. A guy with a low, soothing voice finds mid-century furniture in terrible condition, then patiently disassembles, repairs, and refinishes them. When there's nothing to say, he doesn't say it. There's no music. Just this guy, with his tools, turning junk back into the beautiful object it was when made. A++++

I'm gonna assume you've watched Hand tool rescue but if not, check it out!

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
If people wanna support content creators on YouTube, paying Google isn't the way to do it. A tiny amount of youtubers make their main income via what the platform pays them from ad revenue, most are likely to get as much as actors who got cents (¢) from streaming platforms like Netflix. YouTube Content creators make their living off of tips, merch, livestream donations, channel memberships, Patreon and video sponsors. All of which isn't costing YouTube a thing.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Does anyone here use Nebula? It's like a version of Youtube with no ads but costs money, but pays more to creators.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Most substantial YouTube creators I watch have Patreon or a similar sub revenue stream because nobody has any confidence that YouTube won't just shift the goalposts again and gently caress over anyone trying to make money with their videos.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Does anyone here use Nebula? It's like a version of Youtube with no ads but costs money, but pays more to creators.

I tried it once, but my experience was that there was an occasional exclusive video that was interesting, but that the vast majority of content was what I was already watching on YouTube.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

feedmyleg posted:

I tried it once, but my experience was that there was an occasional exclusive video that was interesting, but that the vast majority of content was what I was already watching on YouTube.

Yeah, that's the whole point, it's an alternative Youtube for people who don't want to deal with Youtube's BS and is more 'curated' for who they let on. There are some exclusives made by creators but the majority of it is just the same content, although the creators usually remove their ad shilling at the beginning or end of videos.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Right, but I pay for YouTube because I watch a lot more than just educational/documentary content and I loathe ads. So for someone in my position, it's not really a good value because I'd be paying for the same material twice

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the idea is to not pay Google and support platforms that are better for creators

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can get stuff that will skip over ads in YouTube, like SponsorBlock. The problem is that right now if it's doing any damage, it's to the creators, not YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Name Change posted:

You can get stuff that will skip over ads in YouTube, like SponsorBlock. The problem is that right now if it's doing any damage, it's to the creators, not YouTube.

How does skipping an in video sponsor do damage to content creators? As far as I know there is no way to prove people watched the video but not the sponsorship part of said video.

Or are you arguing for an unquantifiable amount of 'damage' because people skipping over begging for subs/shilling for sponsors means that some number of them wouldn't have bought said product? That line of argument is the same as movie studios screeching that they've lost profit b/c people DLed their movie without paying for it. Not realizing that a free download =/= a desire to pay money for said product.