Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dyneema/spectra/etc cores are stupid strong as long as they're protected from dirt/UV damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Strength is somewhat important here, but the cable I've been using is only rated to 95 pounds and it's fine. More important is that the stuff does not stretch or creep over time, so that the structure can stay under tension. I've tried it with nylon parachute cord and it stretches too much. I've looked around and it looks like the best options are UHMWPE (Dyneema, Spectra) or aramid (Kevlar) cords. I've never used any of those three.

Does anyone have experience with these? Which one is the least stretchy and most suitable for my purpose? Are there other factors to consider?
Dyneema and Spectra are both used as a substitute for steel cables for sailboat standing rigging.

They are plenty strong for whatever you are doing. That said, they can very slightly stretch over time when under very heavy tension, especially if exposed to UV regularly

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dyneema is fine, although it will creep (stretch) about 2% when held under tension. Plan on adjusting the turn buckles every week for the first six months

Emma kites on Amazon has pretty good prices and wide selection of thickness

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078W4B8DJ

There is a "heat set" dyneema that's crazy expensive and only creeps about 0.5% called amsteel or something

I've been using the Emma kites stuff now for about 7 years never had a problem with it. The black coating can get kind of sticky when braiding it but it's nothing terrible

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Vectran line doesn't creep, 1/8" should have about 500lb SWL. 1/8" spectra has a similar SWL and a little cheaper. If you're only tensioning to 95lb you probably won't get much creep. If you have a couple of solid attachment points and a come-along you can put a good pre-stretch on it. Both are easy to splice.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I was helping a friend get his boat out of the water and took a stroll through the harbour after. Ran into this beautiful little guy, and after some sleuthing it turns out it's Friendship Sloop #242 - the oldest registered sailboat in Canada. A youthful 121 years old. I'm very jealous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I was helping a friend get his boat out of the water and took a stroll through the harbour after. Ran into this beautiful little guy, and after some sleuthing it turns out it's Friendship Sloop #242 - the oldest registered sailboat in Canada. A youthful 121 years old. I'm very jealous.

This is dope.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Trip report:

Last weekend I sailed with a group of student sailers from Portland, OR to Cascade Locks which included use of the Bonneville Dam locks. This was my first overnight trip on a sailboat and first time handling a 39 foot sloop having only cruised around on 22 foot boats so far. unfortunately we had to motor for a lot of the trip we got some great sailing in when the winds picked up in the evening. Learning to navigate the Columbia river with a paper map was a lot of fun as was learning how to use the lock dam. Sadly this will probably be the last of my sailing for awhile but I feel like I ended on positive note!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Oh hey, was that with Portland Sailing Center? Boat name Messenger?
I took sailing lessons through them around six or eight years ago but I never was on the big boat. The head guy (Cliff?) seemed like a chill dude.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Sure was! Cliff is indeed a chill dude and it was great to sail with him for a couple days. We've been renting boats from PSC for a few years now after taking their basic 1 but recently life has been too hectic for sailing, this was my first time out this year.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Was that ASA 104? Sounds like a neat trip! I've never been through a lock.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Portland Sailing Center doesn't do ASA accreditation so it's kinda hard to say but I don't think this trip would've been enough for a 104 certification. The lock was pretty straight forward but it was interesting to hear pleasure crafts on the radio having a hard time, like you need a bow and stern line attached to the floating bollard and simple things like everyone on the craft needing to have on floatation. The lock master seemed pretty level headed about it but you could feel the heavy sighs behind his commands, I happy to have done it with someone so experienced.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Once I was hanging out near the Ballard Locks after the Seattle Boat Show, and a bunch of people were taking their boats back out to Puget Sound. One powerboat was having some trouble getting lined up correctly, and one of the lock hands shouted "Did you just rent that or something?!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Wooden boats are even more maintenance than a modern boat, and the old designs can be pretty cramped inside, and there's all these reasons why old boats are terrible...

but goddamn they look beautiful.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Once I was hanging out near the Ballard Locks after the Seattle Boat Show, and a bunch of people were taking their boats back out to Puget Sound. One powerboat was having some trouble getting lined up correctly, and one of the lock hands shouted "Did you just rent that or something?!"

I've seen some pretty wild poo poo going through those locks (I live on my boat very near them), including the time we'd all gotten loaded up in the large locks and the last boat coming in is a 22' sailboat with an outboard engine that clearly none of the people onboard know how to properly use. They pinballed off the concrete walls twice and only narrowly avoided t-boning other boats more than that, until the lock hands told them to leave until they learned to drive their boat.

Another time last year we were in the small locks with a brand new 45' Jeanneau and they weren't good at maneuvering and smacked their rear starboard quarter into the concrete, took a good chunk out of their gelcoat.

The locks are a very quick way to gauge who is comfortable maneuvering their boat in close quarters and who isn't.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I would guess that half the traffic at Bonneville Dam is tugboats pushing large barges (we shared the lock with a tug pushing cedar logs on the downstream) and they have absolute priority. The only reason we got to share the lock with them is because Messenger is registered as a commercial vessel and Cliff is well known with the lock masters. Apparently the tugboat captains call sailboats "rag flying idiots" or RFI's for short!

Kenshin posted:

Another time last year we were in the small locks with a brand new 45' Jeanneau and they weren't good at maneuvering and smacked their rear starboard quarter into the concrete, took a good chunk out of their gelcoat.

The locks are a very quick way to gauge who is comfortable maneuvering their boat in close quarters and who isn't.

Best to get the first major gouge out of the way so the next several don't sting as bad...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

raggedphoto posted:

I would guess that half the traffic at Bonneville Dam is tugboats pushing large barges (we shared the lock with a tug pushing cedar logs on the downstream) and they have absolute priority. The only reason we got to share the lock with them is because Messenger is registered as a commercial vessel and Cliff is well known with the lock masters. Apparently the tugboat captains call sailboats "rag flying idiots" or RFI's for short!

Best to get the first major gouge out of the way so the next several don't sting as bad...

Around here (New England), we call them WAFIs. Wind assisted loving idiots. Good to know the PNW has a similar term. Not that the recreational power boaters are much better, but they can scoot out of the way after you bark at them on 16.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
:lmao:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Around here (New England), we call them WAFIs. Wind assisted loving idiots. Good to know the PNW has a similar term. Not that the recreational power boaters are much better, but they can scoot out of the way after you bark at them on 16.

COLREGS, motherfucker!

What do you mean "constrained by draft"? USCG Chart 1? Never heard of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is that at Port Credit?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Port Credit Yacht Club, which is technically not in Port Credit (which I learned only after going to the Port Credit marina and not being able to find the drat boat).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sharkytm posted:

Around here (New England), we call them WAFIs. Wind assisted loving idiots. Good to know the PNW has a similar term.

Blowboaters.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

COLREGS, motherfucker!

What do you mean "constrained by draft"? USCG Chart 1? Never heard of it.
Three white masthead lights, you say? Well I'm on a port tack and I'd spoil my jaunty sail if I change course, I'll just cut between you and your tow... Ok, have it your way, hope you can clear the tow wire. Just be warned that it'll rip the bottom out of your boat and we won't feel a thing.

The power boaters that used to swing over to see what we were doing, slow to hull speed, and then throw a gently caress off big wake by turning away when they realized we were working can eat a dick. At least the WAFI crowd doesn't throw big wakes.

Between that and the rule of gross tonnage...

MrYenko posted:

Blowboaters.

LOL

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I took my boat out of the water today. Did some hull scrubbing before I landed it. But uhhh, there still more to do. Brought it to work, used pressure washer, cleaner, another cleaner etc, scrubbed, scrubbed some more, used more cleaner etc .. gently caress me I hate boat ownership.

One side was fine and had a lot less poo poo because it wasn't exposed to the direct sun for hours a day, though it still has some crud on it. Also saw that some fuckin mice ate some of my trailer wiring. Only one light wasn't working,, and that was just a marker light, but still. I haven't had to use it yet, but that's a good fuckin reason to keep and electrical repair kit at hand even though it's a new trailer. Fuckin mouse motherfuckers.
The wiring going to be the easy part. Still need to try and scrub that bitch tits poo poo. I know I know, it's dry now I did my best to keep it wet while I was pressure washing and it wasn't a long drive from the dock to work so it probably didn't dry that much on the way (it did) but nothing I can do about it now.

FUCKIN poo poo I HATE BOAT OWNERSHIP!!!

Can't wait till spring!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Wow boat ownership in places where you have to deal with winterizing your boat seems awful

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kenshin posted:

Wow boat ownership in places where you have to deal with winterizing your boat seems awful

Its really not that bad. You can clean your boat or let it succumb to the scum line just as well in warm or cold climates. Pulling it out for the winter just gives you an excuse to do it on a schedule.

If it makes Ambassadorofsodomy feel better, trailers are almost universally wired like poo poo from the factory and if anything the mice improved things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do you go see the waterfront NYE fireworks when your boat is on the hard

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

If it makes Ambassadorofsodomy feel better, trailers are almost universally wired like poo poo from the factory and if anything the mice improved things.

If you want to save a ton of heartache in the future Ambassadorofsodomy, buy spools of tinned wire in the appropriate colors (along with sealed LED lights if your trailer doesn't have them already), solder your connections, and heat shrink them. You can also do heat shrink crimps but the cost is higher.

There are a bunch of sellers on eBay who carry tinned wire that isnt name brand stuff in the appropriate gauges. I spent maybe 90 on enough for two trailers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'll probably cut out the lovely sections, butt connect and then heat shrink where needed.

The damage was done where there was an opening in the trailer frame and it looks like there were some nuts or other kind of stuff in there. Maybe it was fuckin squirrel bastards that did it.
I think once I fix the wiring I'll put some split loom over it and then either cover the opening with some tape, or maybe shove some steel wool in there, but maybe thats a bad idea because the steel wool would wear away at the paint and stuff.
Worst part is it was really easy to get at and lots of room to work when I had the boat off the trailer, but now that its on there its going to be a motherfucker.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That sounds about right, because why would anyone ever check their trailer lights until they need to use them? The other option is to double down and put the repairs off until the boat is back off the trailer. Just play dumb if you get pulled over.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cat Hatter posted:

That sounds about right, because why would anyone ever check their trailer lights until they need to use them? The other option is to double down and put the repairs off until the boat is back off the trailer. Just play dumb if you get pulled over.

I was actually thinking of doing just that. Effect temporary (tape the poo poo out of it) repairs and then get to it next year after I launch the thing. Its only one running light thats out, everything else works. I might just get that one light working and then say gently caress it. After I launch, bring it by the shop and pull it all apart with plenty of room to work.

There was definitely something living in the trailer tongue though, I swung it over and pulled out a bunch of poo poo including some feathers. Probably a fuckin rat living in there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I was actually thinking of doing just that. Effect temporary (tape the poo poo out of it) repairs and then get to it next year after I launch the thing. Its only one running light thats out, everything else works. I might just get that one light working and then say gently caress it. After I launch, bring it by the shop and pull it all apart with plenty of room to work.

There was definitely something living in the trailer tongue though, I swung it over and pulled out a bunch of poo poo including some feathers. Probably a fuckin rat living in there.

Well, I just decided to fix it instead. Everything worked the first time. Lots of spare wire inside the frame rails. Cut out all the visible spots where the wire had been chewed at or worn from rubbing up against something. Added a couple grommets where wire goes in to the frame rails too as I figured that might otherwise become a problem later on.

Jesus christ, whoever said that trailers are wired really lovely wasn't fuckin kidding. I've seen some hack jobs but holy gently caress.

This was the "best" "connection". Double quotes on purpose.

New connections, or at least a few of them. Wish I had brown heat shrink but whatever.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Jesus christ, whoever said that trailers are wired really lovely wasn't fuckin kidding. I've seen some hack jobs but holy gently caress.

Was this a used trailer? Or is this the factory wiring job?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

skybolt_1 posted:

Was this a used trailer? Or is this the factory wiring job?

Boat and trailer were left over '22 models purchased in January, picked up in May. So factory wiring. Trailer has maybe a couple hundred miles on it at most.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Probably qualify for warranty repair

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Probably qualify for warranty repair

I'm sure it would. I'll send them a bill for my time and materials.

Honestly I ain't got time for that poo poo. Yeah I know I just assisted lovely capitalism but at this point I don't give a gently caress. It's fixed and they can suck my fuckin balls.

E: I sent pictures of their lovely wiring to their Facebook page messenger thingy and if they give me a hard time I'll tell them to lick a black backed jackals funky rear end and call them a bunch of doberman cocksuckers.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 15, 2023

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Boat and trailer were left over '22 models purchased in January, picked up in May. So factory wiring. Trailer has maybe a couple hundred miles on it at most.

This is horrifying. Wow....

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My sailboat is temporarily a motor boat

Getting new rigging made, and while the mast is down I can install my new Raymarine radar and wind instrument, and maybe an attachment for a whisker pole

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 17, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Got my shiny new rigging in, waiting for a local shop to finish making my halyards, and a local sailmaker is going to start working on my new mainsail made from Hydranet. That plus the two storm sails meant that a new genoa is out of budget, but they're also going to give my current genoa a good once-over and do any repairs needed.

For the storm staysail I ended up going with an ATN Gale Sail after recommendation from my cruising advisor and looking online at reviews. Otherwise, I'd have had to get a new inner forestay installed, which would have ended up being thousands more, and added complexity. The sailmaker is going to be making a storm trysail for the secondary track on my mast, and I've upgraded the size of the topping lift to match the other halyards, since it will double as the halyard for the storm trysail, and also allows it to act as a backup to the main halyard in an emergency.

While the mast was down I replaced the radar (and re-riveted the radar mount, which had a tiny bit of play in it, now it's solid again) with a new Raymarine Quantum 2. Happily was able to use the same mount as my old radar was a Raymarine as well, just 15 years old. Same bolt pattern. Same for the wind instrument in fact, was a very easy swap (despite replacing the wiring, the old wiring pulled the new wiring through the mast without issue). Mast boot got replaced as well with a new one from Catalina.

Now that the mast is back up with the new Raymarine gear, I can start installing all the rest. Looking over the installation instructions it's going to be pretty easy, the hardest part is going to be routing cables around the boat cleanly.

Things are looking good for a May date of untying the lines!

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 28, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Looking to do some off-season reading. One thing I'd like to work on next year is really dialing in my sail trim. I have the basics down in terms of points of sail and my sheets, but finer grained stuff like using my traveler and vang, or how to really trim sail shape as opposed to just angle. Does anyone have any good books / online sources that go over these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sail trim really ought to just be a mental flowchart thing. I don't think you need a whole book for it

for under 15mph but over 5mph, upwind

Set vang, cunningham at about 75%
Trim main sheet to about 80%
Set rudder to "straight"

From here, adjust your traveler up as high as it will go, then start letting out (down) the traveler until your boat starts tracking straight, rather than weather-vaning

If your boat is still weather-vaning, let out the main sheet until the boat starts tracking straight

If the wind picks up and you're STILL weather-vaning, add more vang and cunningham to flatten the sail (this is pretty fine-tuney, might skip this unless you're hunting for maximum upwind VMG in a regatta)

If the wind still picks up put on some backstay to spill wind (depower the sail) from the top half of the sail. Adjust sheet and traveler as needed

I reccomend putting on some tell-tails if you haven't already, you can learn a hell of a lot that way.

Jib stuff is way more complex. Go get some 100% wool (biodegradable) yarn in bright colors and some scotch tape and stick about 20+ on the sail and prepare to learn a gently caress ton

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 30, 2023