Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

uBlock Origin's element picker
Best part is, you can define a keyboard shortcut for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In addition to what mobby said, Mozilla shows limited signs of caring about the Android app. The limited extension support was supposed to get better, but it's been years. There are silly issues like the tab list losing its place for reasons of varying opacity. And some other apps that open a browser window automatically will do weird poo poo, like not recognize that you've done whatever you were asked to do. But it generally works fine.

My partner has written a couple of firefox android extensions (that are not currently supported), and he just got contacted asking if it was OK for mozilla to create new point releases of them, in preparation for them being included when they expand the supported list sometime ... soonish. So there's finally some movement.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Computer viking posted:

My partner has written a couple of firefox android extensions (that are not currently supported), and he just got contacted asking if it was OK for mozilla to create new point releases of them, in preparation for them being included when they expand the supported list sometime ... soonish. So there's finally some movement.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/08/10/prepare-your-firefox-desktop-extension-for-the-upcoming-android-release/

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/202...em-in-december/

Basically, Mozilla plans to open up the mobile addon ecosystem in December.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
That'll be a huge relief.
I've been using recent versions of firefox android since I posted about it in this thread months ago, and I'm still not used to or happy with the way the home screen / new tab / tab handling work.
Hopefully there'll be some extension that makes it behave like any other drat browser.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Which part of it?

e: Looking at it vs Chrome now, they seem near identical? The tab button gives you a thumbnail grid and a + button, and the start page for a new tab shows you different groups of things you may want to visit.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 14, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm with Atopian about the tab handling feeling terrible, but I'm entirely unable to properly describe why it feels so bad.

I highly suspect me putting the url bar on top and the workflow being designed with it in the wrong spot has something to do with it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Toolbar at the bottom is absolutely their intended use, and I have to say it makes a lot of sense now that I'm used to it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nalin posted:

Go into your uBlock Origin settings, click Purge all caches while HOLDING SHIFT, then click Update now. Make sure you turn off anything else that may be trying to block ads like any YouTube addons.

I tried this yesterday and it worked but today the popup came back. Am I going to have to purge all caches every single time now?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/173jmog/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_09_2023/
YouTube appears to be updating its anti-adblock script a lot, so probably, yes
Seems you only need to update the Quick Fixes filter list, though.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Which part of it?

e: Looking at it vs Chrome now, they seem near identical? The tab button gives you a thumbnail grid and a + button, and the start page for a new tab shows you different groups of things you may want to visit.

I've said it before but I hate how they've made it so that if you press the address bar and then click one of the favourites or frequently used sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current tab, so you end up with a million tabs unless you go back and close them all. The fact that doing the same thing but typing in an address, even one that's saved doesn't do the same thing is just confusing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I've said it before but I hate how they've made it so that if you press the address bar and then click one of the favourites or frequently used sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current tab, so you end up with a million tabs unless you go back and close them all. The fact that doing the same thing but typing in an address, even one that's saved doesn't do the same thing is just confusing.

I'm out right now so I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's an about :config for that

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Nalin posted:

Go into your uBlock Origin settings, click Purge all caches while HOLDING SHIFT, then click Update now. Make sure you turn off anything else that may be trying to block ads like any YouTube addons.

I've tied this but Youtube still won't let me view videos

edit:

Got it work by also disabling Firefox's enhanced tracking, the shield next to the search bar

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 14, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

101 posted:

I'm out right now so I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's an about :config for that

Not on Android there isn't, the homepage isn't a real page or something, people have been complaining about it since they released it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to make the Android version close/forget tabs when I close the browser?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Not on Android there isn't, the homepage isn't a real page or something, people have been complaining about it since they released it.

Ah, sorry. Missed that context

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SgtSteel91 posted:

I've tied this but Youtube still won't let me view videos

edit:

Got it work by also disabling Firefox's enhanced tracking, the shield next to the search bar

That feature uses Disconnect's tracking list to identify and block trackers. I am surprised it is triggering YouTube, but I guess it could interfere by blocking something extra. The list Firefox uses is built-in so it would be older than uBlock's list.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arc Hammer posted:

Am I going to have to purge all caches every single time now?

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to make the Android version close/forget tabs when I close the browser?

Use private tabs?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I updated my uBlock lists without touching anything else or doing some special song and dance beyond purging the cache and then updating yesterday after getting the popup and YouTube's mostly* worked fine since :shrug:

*the dislike count is gone again despite my extension but I assume it's not entirely unrelated to Google being a bunch of stupid morons

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Give it time, YouTube keeps changing their script almost as often as the uBlock people are updating their filters. Eventually you'll be on YouTube inbetween an update from YouTube and uBlock and get the blocking message again.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Keep in mind that other extensions you have installed may also interfere with uBlock and YouTube. For example, apparently the MalwareBytes Browser Guard extension can interfere and cause YouTube to detect an ad blocker.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Nalin posted:

Keep in mind that other extensions you have installed may also interfere with uBlock and YouTube. For example, apparently the MalwareBytes Browser Guard extension can interfere and cause YouTube to detect an ad blocker.

This raises an important question of why the gently caress would you run a literal MITM extension in your browser?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ruflux posted:

This raises an important question of why the gently caress would you run a literal MITM extension in your browser?

Uh, what do you think Ublock is?

Extensions that block content work by MITM'ing everything your browser loads, whether malware or ads (lol same difference amiright)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Klyith posted:

Uh, what do you think Ublock is?

Extensions that block content work by MITM'ing everything your browser loads, whether malware or ads (lol same difference amiright)

They're not exactly equivalent.

uBlock Origin is open source and Raymond Hill has proven himself by this point, I think.
Sold the original uBlock to AdBlock, they were lovely owners and started adding 'acceptable' ads, so he came back. Guy even refuses donations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

It's this.

And yes, it can be fixed by going back every so often to manually delete all the extra tabs, but in tyool 2023 why should I have to do that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

101 posted:

They're not exactly equivalent.

uBlock Origin is open source and Raymond Hill has proven himself by this point, I think.
Sold the original uBlock to AdBlock, they were lovely owners and started adding 'acceptable' ads, so he came back. Guy even refuses donations.

Eh, sure, but malwarebytes is also a company with a pretty good rep. They're not MITMing your traffic any more than Ublock is. (They might be doing data collection along the same lines that most other software companies do, but this isn't a security threat.)

Like, gorhill is a great guy and all but he's just one dude. He could go nuts, or sell off his extension -- he did it before!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Atopian posted:

It's this.

And yes, it can be fixed by going back every so often to manually delete all the extra tabs, but in tyool 2023 why should I have to do that?

I don't know when this changed, but I think they "fixed" it in a moronic way. If the site you click on from the homepage is already open, it switches to that tab. Sounds good right? It would b if it reloaded the page, but it doesn't. So you end up back on the tab you were on hours ago in the state it was hours ago forcing you to have to reload it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sounds appropriate for whatever bizarro-world dev team they have working on this.

Fortunately if they allow a broader selection of add-ons, the incomprehensible opinions of those people will no longer be important.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hah, the youtube adblock now has a little timer that counts down before you can close it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

:pray:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

phosdex posted:

hah, the youtube adblock now has a little timer that counts down before you can close it
Yeah, I noticed that last night.

I tried the element picker and the video was still "timed" so I couldn't select it. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's a bit of an art to using the element picker, multiple layers of JavaScript on top of what you want to zap, and I swear they're starting to put little traps in there to trick me into accidentally zapping actual content, or becoming confused and giving up.

The list maintainers are doing God's work. Ad blocking is one of the few battlegrounds where the little guy can extract what they want from the major corporations that otherwise dominate our online lives, utterly unimpeded. Nice to turn the table, even if it's a very small one.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 16, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Computer viking posted:

Use private tabs?
Private tabs are even worse, if you have a private tab open if adds a notification icon to the top of the screen letting you know you have a private tab open in the background. It's baffling.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
god willing enough of the people on the bad side of the A/B test will decrease overall usage enough that they say gently caress it and return to the status quo

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

Private tabs are even worse, if you have a private tab open if adds a notification icon to the top of the screen letting you know you have a private tab open in the background. It's baffling.

My theory about those it's a trick to make android less likely to kill the browser when it's in the background.

Most other Android browsers do it as well, only exception I've seen is Samsung internet browser.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Why? Those hypothetical absent users weren't seeing ads in the first place.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

god willing enough of the people on the bad side of the A/B test will decrease overall usage enough that they say gently caress it and return to the status quo

"It works! We're no longer serving up bandwidth and processing power to the freeloaders. Now the ad impressions per video view is skyrocketing, advertisers also pay more for each impression too!"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The private tabs notification is there to provide you with a quick method to close all private tabs even/especially if Firefox isn't what's currently on screen. In case your partner or kid wants to look at your phone or something.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

The private tabs notification is there to provide you with a quick method to close all private tabs even/especially if Firefox isn't what's currently on screen. In case your partner or kid wants to look at your phone or something.

Son, I just want you to know that making GBS threads dick-nipples are a perfectly valid and healthy expression of human sexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I've moved to Firefox from Edge as my default browser and I prefer Edge's font rendering over Firefox's since it's more comfortable for my eyes.

What's the best way to get Firefox to match Edge's font rendering? tia