Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazXm7WEz50
Related to Simpsons and its ending being brought up recently. A youtube video briefly going over the absolute nadir of The Simpsons (S29-30) and then going over what seems to be a new revival of the series (S33-34) partially engineered by the demands of the pandemic and revisions to how their writers room operates. In summation that's brought up in the video: Each writer now takes ownership of an episode per season and to not worry about what made the series good (i.e. stop incestuously referencing the series itself just for a gag). So rather than every episode brought down by what seems to be the weakest members of the writers' room, the episodes will now vary in quality with some being extremely good (maybe still not as necessarily funny or witty as Golden Age, but still heartfelt and interesting) while others are just empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man that is earie! I never watched that guy, but it popped up on my youtube feat and I'm literally about to finish the video right now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man that is earie! I never watched that guy, but it popped up on my youtube feat and I'm literally about to finish the video right now.

Yeah, he makes good videos. Definitely make the time to watch the Space Jam 2 one, at the very least.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, he makes good videos. Definitely make the time to watch the Space Jam 2 one, at the very least.

I didn't even bother to watch the movie. But sure, I'll check it out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The video is better than the movie and predates it iirc.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Watched the first 3 Adventure Time: Distant Lands and I dunno, they were okay. I don't think separating the cast and putting them into totally different contexts than they usually exist in really worked for me. Actually it just made me a bit sad, because it feels like things move on and nobody is the same/people are forgotten, which is an experience, but the episodes themselves weren't that great and didn't have a lot of laughs.

Like, the original ending was fine, so I didn't need another one or a 'what else did they get up to' because there were like 250 episodes, so it just feels like some bonus material. Like, they got to do a full episode of PB and Marceline being explicitly a couple which they probably weren't allowed to do on the original show and I'm sure some fans enjoyed.

I'm really curious to start Fionna and Cake and see what happens there, though. I know there's another Distant Lands focused on peppermint butler but he doesn't do anything for me and I hear it isn't very good anyway so I'll watch it in like 5 years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just finished S4 and saw that S5 has 52 episodes lmao what the hell was going on in 2012 Cartoon Network

But I just got trolled by Emo Philips and I'm very down for more of that kind of writing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

roomtone posted:

Watched the first 3 Adventure Time: Distant Lands and I dunno, they were okay. I don't think separating the cast and putting them into totally different contexts than they usually exist in really worked for me. Actually it just made me a bit sad, because it feels like things move on and nobody is the same/people are forgotten, which is an experience, but the episodes themselves weren't that great and didn't have a lot of laughs.

Like, the original ending was fine, so I didn't need another one or a 'what else did they get up to' because there were like 250 episodes, so it just feels like some bonus material. Like, they got to do a full episode of PB and Marceline being explicitly a couple which they probably weren't allowed to do on the original show and I'm sure some fans enjoyed.

I'm really curious to start Fionna and Cake and see what happens there, though. I know there's another Distant Lands focused on peppermint butler but he doesn't do anything for me and I hear it isn't very good anyway so I'll watch it in like 5 years.

Fionna and Cake is very good, watch it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Okay. I went through it. That was good. Too bad Warner Bros are cowards!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Actually on that note when I logged into YouTube after reading the Dinosaurs discussion on here I was recommended the literal ending scene of the show with the executive. I get the feeling we might be being watched folks. It's not the first time this kind of poo poo has happened tbh.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Actually on that note when I logged into YouTube after reading the Dinosaurs discussion on here I was recommended the literal ending scene of the show with the executive. I get the feeling we might be being watched folks. It's not the first time this kind of poo poo has happened tbh.

Same here, with merely reading this thread and no further inquiry it popped the dinosaurs ending on youtube.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Data Graham posted:

I just finished S4 and saw that S5 has 52 episodes lmao what the hell was going on in 2012 Cartoon Network

But I just got trolled by Emo Philips and I'm very down for more of that kind of writing

Years back when I got to the Emo Philips episode for the first time I tweeted about it and he liked my tweet
I felt weirdly touched

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Just saw the first episode of the new Archer. Glad the office is teeming with employees again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taear posted:

Years back when I got to the Emo Philips episode for the first time I tweeted about it and he liked my tweet
I felt weirdly touched

I was like "haha, it's the five fingers", and then Emo's all like "yOu BoObUH, it was tHe FiVe tAsTeSZz!" and I was like, oh youuuu

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Flopsy posted:

To be fair, in my case it's a video which came out today, so I guess it's a bit more likely to stumble over it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

To be fair, in my case it's a video which came out today, so I guess it's a bit more likely to stumble over it.

Hope so, it's creepy enough that google tries to inform my algorithm to the point that if i'm looking for cold medicine I get a bunch of videos recommending various brands to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

The people who say "all movies are too irony-poisoned and quippy these days" are the people who only consume godawful franchise movies and nothing else so they literally have no idea what actual cinema is like in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ28knLt5Rs

Cody Johnston actually just did a really great breakdown on why people think like this too.

Just got done watching and this is a good video. Had no idea about modern CGI and the Producer side of movies.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm watching Bee and Puppycat on Netflix, years after seeing the original pilot on youtube. This is good. Whereas shows like Steven Universe feel like American cartoons that pay a lot of tribute to anime, B&P feels like the closest an American cartoon can get to anime, what with it even being animated by the studio that does Pokemon. The original pilot had some weird stuff but the full show really leans into making everything about the setting weird. They're on an unnamed island where sometimes the every season happens within a day, Bee's age is uncertain (plus other stuff), their landlord is a child because the actual landlord appears to be in a coma and is crying tears that cause things to transform in weird ways, plus warlock arms are hunting around the universe. And the most popular tv show is a man called Pretty Patrick who pretends to be eating lunch with you.

Sometimes watching it feels like Steven Universe, sometimes Ranma, sometimes Sailor Moon, sometimes a Masaaki Yuasa movie, sometimes a random Cartoon Hangover bit, it's a great mix.

It also feels like a large part of the first episode of Fionna and Cake was inspired by this show (which is a bit recursive because of who the series creator is, how much this show was probably influenced by her time on Adventure Time, etc.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Archer will have a real finale December 17th. Which just makes this whole situation weird because they could have just aired it with the actual season or, if it wasn't ready yet, delayed the season until it was.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Archer will have a real finale December 17th. Which just makes this whole situation weird because they could have just aired it with the actual season or, if it wasn't ready yet, delayed the season until it was.

It's going to be 3 (possibly extended) episodes so it didn't fit in the regular season order.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

If I had my own show that I knew was being cancelled, I'd make every episode of the final season be a "final" one that wraps up in a different way. Then everyone can pick an episode they like as their canon ending for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

lol at the episode of Adventure Time that ends with Finn and Jake just straight murdering a deer by bashing its brains out with cinder blocks.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That episode rules

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvRvqByxUI

Final trailer for Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

Looks like they're really taking advantage of the longer format and having multiple fights with the Evil Exes, or at least having them stick around after their defeated this time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

nine-gear crow posted:

Looks like they're really taking advantage of the longer format and having multiple fights with the Evil Exes, or at least having them stick around after their defeated this time.

The Scott Pilgrim panel at NYCC today was pretty loving awesome. They showed that trailer and the opening which is anime as all hell. :allears:

O'Malley and Grabinski were the ones speaking. Grabinski's story about this trailer was hilarious. Apparently, he'll often just put the Mortal Kombat theme on a 10 hour loop when writing scripts, sometimes. So, he just pitched the idea one day that the Mortal Kombat theme would be awesome for their final trailer. And what would be even more awesomer? Getting the guy who originally screams "Mortal Kombat!" to scream the title of the show in the trailer. So, they just called him up and asked. :v:

Overall, they were super vague on the details but some things they hinted at:
1. This is not a retelling of either the books or the film.
2. Some characters who never really interacted in previous iterations will have scenes together and their relationships will affect the bigger social web.
3. There will be an early and deeper focus on the Gideon and the League of Evil Exes. You'll see more interactions between Gideon and the various members leading up to their fights.
4. Generally, there's going to be a lot of twists and unexpected relationships forming and breaking along the way.
5. Looks like its all dropping on Netflix at once. Nov 17th.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That's the first confirmation I've seen that Anamanaguchi is doing music

Hell fuckin yes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sockser posted:

That's the first confirmation I've seen that Anamanaguchi is doing music

Hell fuckin yes

Yeah. They had nothing but praise for everything Anamanaguchi put out for the series. And they will be releasing the whole soundtrack, date unknown. They're planning a whole 20th anniversary "initiative" for next year. So, expect a bunch of merch and a big advertising push.

I also forgot to say that Edgar Wright filmed a short video introducing the trailer. It was pretty cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I read the comic back in the day and wasn't really into it, but I played a whole lot of the game. Just nice to go through while listening to a podcast.

Anamanaguchi can really make a jam.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really, really hope Another Winter shows up in the show somewhere.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

AlternateNu posted:

The Scott Pilgrim panel at NYCC today was pretty loving awesome. They showed that trailer and the opening which is anime as all hell. :allears:

O'Malley and Grabinski were the ones speaking. Grabinski's story about this trailer was hilarious. Apparently, he'll often just put the Mortal Kombat theme on a 10 hour loop when writing scripts, sometimes. So, he just pitched the idea one day that the Mortal Kombat theme would be awesome for their final trailer. And what would be even more awesomer? Getting the guy who originally screams "Mortal Kombat!" to scream the title of the show in the trailer. So, they just called him up and asked. :v:

Overall, they were super vague on the details but some things they hinted at:
1. This is not a retelling of either the books or the film.
2. Some characters who never really interacted in previous iterations will have scenes together and their relationships will affect the bigger social web.
3. There will be an early and deeper focus on the Gideon and the League of Evil Exes. You'll see more interactions between Gideon and the various members leading up to their fights.
4. Generally, there's going to be a lot of twists and unexpected relationships forming and breaking along the way.
5. Looks like its all dropping on Netflix at once. Nov 17th.

God I'm so excited for this!! :allears: the trailer rocked!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I was already gonna watch this but now I'm actually really hyped for it, drat.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for talking about Krapopolis, I'm enjoying it. I do have to say though, Matt Berry really sounds like he's phoning it in. Has he done any voice work before? You compare his character here with Lazlo and the delivery is so flat.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah. He's done a few voice acting gigs. He was Vitalstatistix (?!) in an Astrix and Obelix movie. Done some Spongebob movies, dubbed himself over in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, has a voice on Disenchantment and Archer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PicklePants posted:

Yeah. He's done a few voice acting gigs. He was Vitalstatistix (?!) in an Astrix and Obelix movie. Done some Spongebob movies, dubbed himself over in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, has a voice on Disenchantment and Archer.

He also does a ton of commercial work in Britain. I fully believe that his kind of flat delivery in Krapopolis is a direction issue.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pantheon season 2 was pretty good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

muscles like this! posted:

He also does a ton of commercial work in Britain. I fully believe that his kind of flat delivery in Krapopolis is a direction issue.

I think it's direction. Everyone's kinda flat and I bet it's because they don't do group recordings and the lines are all recorded separately, or without storyboards or visualizations to give physical context.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Just a guess, but I think Berry has complained before that he gets the "Just Do the Voice" treatment that you get when you're known for one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Just a guess, but I think Berry has complained before that he gets the "Just Do the Voice" treatment that you get when you're known for one.

Ages ago I read an interview with Nolan North where he complained about how often he was asked to just do the "Nathan Drake" voice for games instead of actually creating a character voice.

Also, in Adventure Time, Goliad's donked up third eye is definitely a reference to From Beyond, right?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Pantheon season 2 was pretty good.

!?

WHAT.

WHERE!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snuffman posted: