Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

Got Ruby Weapon in a trial roulette and I just remembered no one really comments on the ghost of Nael dropping Dalamud Reborn on the battlefield, right?

Now that you mention it, not that I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I recall a "who was that? What the heck?" but nothing in more detail.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know either an NPC or one of the "Weapon Notes" on the table near the questgiver mention some confusion about Nael presenting as female, since nobody knows she took her brother's identity.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm still not 100% certain what an outside observer sees when a primal drops you into its magical realm.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kittenchops posted:

It's actually odd how far they let you get into ShB before they make you go back and do the crystal tower raids. I got so far to the reveal that the crystal tower guy is G'raha, but at the time I had no idea who he was but the game made the reveal out to be a really big deal.

Like I said, it feels odd because I'm pretty sure it's a walk-back. They tried to do the "well go play this if you want to know what's going on" thing, didn't like the results, and then 180'd on it. Which is why I feel pretty certain they're not going to do it again.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm still not 100% certain what an outside observer sees when a primal drops you into its magical realm.

In-universe we know it's a localized aether enchantment effect, like a much smaller scale and less fancy version of Emet's Amaurot recreation.

During the Emerald Weapon fight Gaius specifically comments on the second phase's recreation of Werlyt, so it's definitely visible if you're watching the fight on remote camera or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What makes you say they didn’t like the results?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Badger of Basra posted:

What makes you say they didn’t like the results?

The timing largely. If making crystal tower mandatory was always the plan they probably wouldn't have waited to the last second to make it that way. Something happened that made them reverse course in a way they haven't since given endwalker is lousy with cutacenes where there are big obvious empty spots where characters would be if you had done the associated content.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I presume that's also because there's a difference between EW's "if you've done this sidequest, a dude can show up to help and say good luck; if not, he doesn't, no big" and ShB's "if you haven't done this sidequest series, a major plot NPC and his entire plan make very little sense and will require, at bare minimum, a huge exposition dump to even begin to explain"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, did this week's customs a bit late, but are CBU3 canonizing your flying mounts??? And it's because Ancients???

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CBU3 getting real tired of having to incorporate magic rugs into all the mount designs

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

I presume that's also because there's a difference between EW's "if you've done this sidequest, a dude can show up to help and say good luck; if not, he doesn't, no big" and ShB's "if you haven't done this sidequest series, a major plot NPC and his entire plan make very little sense and will require, at bare minimum, a huge exposition dump to even begin to explain"

Followed by ShB patches and EW going “I hope you remember this one boss”.

Thankfully if you have done ST, hat man is at least memorable. Because of the hat.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Recalling that the next expansion's base story is typically locked in around the x.3 patch in a current expansion's patch cycle, I'd think first that what made them decide to make Crystal Tower mandatory in 5.3 was Amon and his motivations, with a bonus of ensuring that players are already acquainted with the World of Darkness - even if they didn't have every last detail of the Golbez saga nailed down, I'm fairly confident they knew the broad outlines they were working with. Like, Zero was already a character in the writing room before 6.0 came out, but they were only able to tease her relevance through giving Zenos a suspiciously detailed avatar.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

Recalling that the next expansion's base story is typically locked in around the x.3 patch in a current expansion's patch cycle, I'd think first that what made them decide to make Crystal Tower mandatory in 5.3 was Amon and his motivations, with a bonus of ensuring that players are already acquainted with the World of Darkness - even if they didn't have every last detail of the Golbez saga nailed down, I'm fairly confident they knew the broad outlines they were working with. Like, Zero was already a character in the writing room before 6.0 came out, but they were only able to tease her relevance through giving Zenos a suspiciously detailed avatar.

Actually, the outline is hammered out a couple months after the last expansion's release. So before we even get the .1 patch, the developers know what the next expansion is.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Actually, the outline is hammered out a couple months after the last expansion's release. So before we even get the .1 patch, the developers know what the next expansion is.

That's probably why Emet was teasing at the ~Golden Isles~ at the end of End Walker's 6.0 MSQ.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

"Locked in" isn't just having the outline, it's that they have all the next epansion's x.0 things written to the point where the rest of the team can work on creating all the rest of the assets, so any further writing is more about beginning to work on the patch content, and they've usually talked about having that done around the x.2 patches, give or take. One of the few times they've changed their outline after that point was Shadowbringers - they'd promised more dungeons at launch than the typical expansion after 4.3 was already out, but ended up having to cut Eulmore down to an instanced duty by the final product. I'm still not entirely sure how that would have shaken out pacing-wise had it remained, but it's possible they were thinking of having two dungeons at the same level, or perhaps a whole 77-78-79-80 block.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is my first time being caught up with the game for a patch drop. It's exciting!

One of my friends was really mad about how Zero was handled, but honestly, I don't know what else they were expecting? It was pretty heavily foreshadowed, not least of which because her name might as well be Cecilia.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

girl dick energy posted:

This is my first time being caught up with the game for a patch drop. It's exciting!

One of my friends was really mad about how Zero was handled, but honestly, I don't know what else they were expecting? It was pretty heavily foreshadowed, not least of which because her name might as well be Cecilia.

I understand how they feel, even if I only appreciated Zero during the second half of her story involvement. They wanted a new travel buddy and now she's someone we'll pop by and say hi to in a 7.x quest

Makes me have my fingers crossed for a proper expac with the 13th. The first dungeon has such a style and vibe and it never really came back.

E: Congrats on being current! It's a nice kind of wait, y'know? Your wol gets to do whatever they do on their off time.

E2: When did we last say hi to Hilda?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 15, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's fine, we'll get girl cat buddy in a few months

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I understand how they feel, even if I only appreciated Zero during the second half of story her involvement. They wanted a new travel buddy and now she's someone we'll pop by and say hi to in a 7.x quest

Makes me have my fingers crossed for a proper expac with the 13th. The first dungeon has such a style and vibe and it never really came back.

E: Congrats on being current! It's a nice kind of wait, y'know? Your wol gets to do whatever they do on their off time.

E2: When did we last say hi to Hilda?

She might still end up being a new travel buddy, we have two more MSQ questline drops coming before Dawntrail.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

The thing I really regret about Zero not meeting Cyella and Unukalhai on camera is that you could have had Cyella just casually drop Zero's name, like "oh, my old memoriate acquaintance Cecilia!" Maybe Zero would be as confused as everyone else!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

She might still end up being a new travel buddy, we have two more MSQ questline drops coming before Dawntrail.

They could absolutely pull some poo poo for sure, to me it just feels like that last scene was supposed to be a bookmark for her and the 13th.

Either way, I told Zero it wasn't goodbye!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They could absolutely pull some poo poo for sure, to me it just feels like that last scene was supposed to be a bookmark for her and the 13th.

Either way, I told Zero it wasn't goodbye!

I mean, off the top of my head she's still most of a voidsent, we could just summon her to the Source for backup if need be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I understand how they feel, even if I only appreciated Zero during the second half of story her involvement. They wanted a new travel buddy and now she's someone we'll pop by and say hi to in a 7.x quest
Oh, yeah, but this was more than just being annoyed about it. In fact, I'm kinda :chloe: about them now, because when I first heard they were pissed off, I asked "oh no, did they fridge Zero?" and their response was "No, worse."

I, uh, I think I might slowly phase out of having conversations with that person, actually...

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I get to figure out who my WoL actually is, because I decided that 6.0 felt like the end of my femroe's story and glammed into a lizard. (Not the end of her adventuring days or the end of her life, just the end of her term as Main Character.) Now I've gotta figure out how my Lizard Vegeta fits into everything, why she's got the Crystal of Azem, etc.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Oh, yeah, but this was more than just being annoyed about it. In fact, I'm kinda :chloe: about them now, because when I first heard they were pissed off, I asked "oh no, did they fridge Zero?" and their response was "No, worse."

I, uh, I think I might slowly phase out of having conversations with that person, actually...

People in this fandom get so loving weird about characters choosing to do anything but just follow the WoL around forever, especially female characters, and it's pretty much just a conversation-ender every time, because what do you even say to that?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

I get to figure out who my WoL actually is, because I decided that 6.0 felt like the end of my femroe's story and glammed into a lizard. (Not the end of her adventuring days or the end of her life, just the end of her term as Main Character.) Now I've gotta figure out how my Lizard Vegeta fits into everything, why she's got the Crystal of Azem, etc.

The worse might be that she stops being a Reaper and instead became a Paladin, I've seen some dumb opinions on that poo poo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Have to admit, I will miss her hat.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the transformation was cool but the reaper design was a little cooler. she should just be a palareaper

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Khizan posted:

I'm unlikely to buy cash shop character outfits, but if they had a zero package where I could get her earrings for my own use, I'd smack the purchase button day one

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

People in this fandom get so loving weird about characters choosing to do anything but just follow the WoL around forever, especially female characters, and it's pretty much just a conversation-ender every time, because what do you even say to that?

Lord_Magmar posted:

The worse might be that she stops being a Reaper and instead became a Paladin, I've seen some dumb opinions on that poo poo.
Yeah, in either case, I guess I should thank them for making it clear that they're the kind of person who prefers a female character being dead over them doing something they don't like.

I mean, not to their face, obviously, but still.

hexwren posted:

I'm unlikely to buy cash shop character outfits, but if they had a zero package where I could get her earrings for my own use, I'd smack the purchase button day one
I want her hat, and an emote where I pull on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Magmar posted:

We only have one more MSQ update before Dawntrail and I really don't think Zero's suddenly going to abandon the Thirteenth to come with us again for no good reason.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

doesn't x.58 get a tiny lead-in msq quest? or am i hallucinating

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Khizan posted:

If/when Zero comes back, there needs to be a joke where she reaches up to tip her hat and then tries to quietly play it off when she realizes it isn't there any more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was .58 the one for shb where you go to the gridania grotto and dick elf dad shows up?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
5.55 was the final lead-in main story patch with the solo duty fighting Lunar primals (and yes meeting the Twin's jerkass dad).
5.58 was where they unlocked the weekly drops of the blades for the tomestone weapon, and also allowed the alliance raid coins to be exchanged for the item that upgrades the tomestone weapon.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

hexwren posted:

.55 will likely have a few quests and a solo duty, as has been the pattern since post-HW. From what I remember:
3.55 - We fight Grynewaht or whatever his name at Carteneau, we release Omega, Omega vs Shinryu cutscene
4.55 - Hien vs Elidi-Zenos, WoL vs Elidi-Zenos, we meet Exarch
5.55 - we meet Forchenault, we fight lunar primals at Carteneau, everyone stares at the moon

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hexwren posted:

Even if you are, they've said that x.55 and x.58 are more substantial this time than they have been in the past.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

iPodschun posted:

.55 will likely have a few quests and a solo duty, as has been the pattern since post-HW. From what I remember:
3.55 - We fight Grynewaht or whatever his name at Carteneau, we release Omega, Omega vs Shinryu cutscene
4.55 - Hien vs Elidi-Zenos, WoL vs Elidi-Zenos, we meet Exarch
5.55 - we meet Forchenault, we fight lunar primals at Carteneau, everyone stares at the moon

new Steps of Faith brings 2.55 in line with the rest of them, too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Even if you are, they've said that x.55 and x.58 are more substantial this time than they have been in the past.

I don't think "more substantial" means "6.58 will have main story quests, a thing they've never done before"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I was just disappointed she didn't get a cool Gundam Wing-style laser scythe made of light :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kazy posted:

I was just disappointed she didn't get a cool Gundam Wing-style laser scythe made of light :v:
Quick, someone bring her to Quarrymill so she can start grinding PotD!