Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Your Computer posted:

speaking of drops guess who just got a brachydios gem

because it sure wasn't me! i hit a new milestone tonight as i've started my second stack of brach carapaces. i now have 103 carapace, 93 mystery slime, 62 ebonshells, 46 scalps, 27 pounders and 19 tails. according to my playtime i've spent over 10 hours only fighting brachydios now

i don't even want the slime weapons now i just wanna see how stupid this can get

“Very”. The answer is “Very Stupid”.

Mind you, that’s still some crap luck if I remember the old gem drop rates correctly. Not unusually bad luck, but pretty bad.

It feels so weird in Rise getting one of the old rare things every couple hunts, or even more than one in a hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I saw and beat my second pink rath in Now. Man that's an annoying monster to fight, not because it's like powerful or anything - but because much like in world it just constantly does its rush attack, in a game where you don't have free mobility to chase it. Between the two of them I got like, ten rank 1 parts though, so this event has been cool.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

i don't even want the slime weapons now
:doubt:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
whats going to happen when you finally get that gem is you'll fight brachy days later and get 3 gems in one hunt

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 13, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
have you considered getting gud at warping probabilities in computer programs with the power of your mind?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

have you considered getting gud at warping probabilities in computer programs with the power of your mind?

I just use cheat engine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i still don't have a brachydios gem but at least i have the power of music on my side (clip has sound, of course)

https://i.imgur.com/2Py8r4n.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aL7T5_mGmlk

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

speaking of drops guess who just got a brachydios gem

because it sure wasn't me! i hit a new milestone tonight as i've started my second stack of brach carapaces. i now have 103 carapace, 93 mystery slime, 62 ebonshells, 46 scalps, 27 pounders and 19 tails. according to my playtime i've spent over 10 hours only fighting brachydios now

i don't even want the slime weapons now i just wanna see how stupid this can get

poo poo like this is why I prefer to play games on PC whenever possible. Bullshit drop rates that don't respect your time can be dealt with via mods and save editors at least.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

HPanda posted:

“Very”. The answer is “Very Stupid”.

Mind you, that’s still some crap luck if I remember the old gem drop rates correctly. Not unusually bad luck, but pretty bad.

It feels so weird in Rise getting one of the old rare things every couple hunts, or even more than one in a hunt.

Wait a minute, are you playing 3U?
Are you on the cursed drop tables?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

Oh man, I forgot about those. No, haven’t played 3rd gen in over a decade.

I thought those tables were just for talismans or something though. Did that also apply to monster drops?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It was just talismans as far as I know

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kerbtree posted:

i am! but as mentioned the cursed tables are just for charms and not for drops (thankfully)

with little fanfare i finally got the gem at about 50 brachydios hunted. now i'm not sure what to even do with it...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah... gently caress the charm drops, I buried that memory lol

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

drat, imagine if cursed drop tables existed for monster parts. "Whoops, looks like your drop table doesn't have gems. Real high drop rate on wingtalons though!"

Charm tables are such a weird system and I've never really figured out why they did it that way. Even when it's not bugging out and cursing people to never get good drops, it still seems overcomplicated.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Triarii posted:

Charm tables are such a weird system and I've never really figured out why they did it that way. Even when it's not bugging out and cursing people to never get good drops, it still seems overcomplicated.

They didn't do it on purpose, the person in charge of RNG was just really bad at their job

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Triarii posted:

drat, imagine if cursed drop tables existed for monster parts. "Whoops, looks like your drop table doesn't have gems. Real high drop rate on wingtalons though!"

As I recall, the way it was supposed to work was that it would load up a new table anytime you restarted the game. But then it just…didn’t.

Why this was a desired system I couldn’t tell you, but I guess that is one way to handle “random” results.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BMan posted:

They didn't do it on purpose, the person in charge of RNG was just really bad at their job

it was my first day

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well, the pink rathian surge event in monhun mobile definitely has more of them spawning, so it's not a complete bust. not a huge fan of how all the stuff on the weekend is at times when i'm still mostly at work, though. the friday timeslot is a bit later in the evening, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

well, the pink rathian surge event in monhun mobile definitely has more of them spawning, so it's not a complete bust. not a huge fan of how all the stuff on the weekend is at times when i'm still mostly at work, though. the friday timeslot is a bit later in the evening, though.

The upside is that they recently made it so you can refight marked monsters at least

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've gotten lucky enough to be able to either make a weapon or a piece of armor, so far, and i'm not entirely sure what i want to craft

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlEj3569of8

Watching a video like this and wondering if it'd be even viable for me to become skilled at charge blade....

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I think people oversell the difficulty of understanding CB. It's one I was intimidated away from for ages because it seems like it's just so complicated but it really isn't. There's a warmup dance you need to do to charge your shield and after that, it's a pretty straightforward pattern of sword attacks to charge up, axe attacks to expend that charge. It's really neat when you can pull off the fancy stuff like guard pointing into a SAED but that's less to do with understanding the charge blade itself and more just having a general understanding of the monster attack timings and where your opening might be. Usually it's just easier to wait until you get a knockdown and blow your SAED there (although I tend to prefer chainsaw mode for that, I think it works out to more damage overall even if it's less satisfying).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Wide sweep up slash wide sweep infinite combo forever, and that's why charge blade peaked in 4u.

Triarii posted:

When I was playing Tri recently to try the multiplayer, I felt like I must be on a cursed table, cause I had to hunt 49 Great Jaggi for one kings frill.

Yes, I was breaking the head every time. Yes, it's a 35% drop.

Playing portable 3rd on a hacked vita means if drops get Really Gross, I could just cheat in the weapon, but I'm playing it like Dos and just meandering around every map gathering a bunch of poo poo before I go home, clearing every request at each level, and generally just loving the Vibes.

Portable 3rd is def in my top three monhuns

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Speaking of which I feel bad that with the eShop closing I bought MH3U on Wii U and got my save data transfer tools ready only for them to shut down the online next year. I mean, I probably wasn't going to go through with it, but it's the principle of the thing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

If it's any comfort, the monhun fandom is particularly insane and is bound to get a server up and running. They reversed engineered Tri's hub and it's available now, Dos and FU and P3rd all have working multiplayer setups. People tend to be very devoted to their Favourite Monster Hunter, so I imagine we will eventually see similar for 3u, 4u, and Generations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mhn: lock on and burst are doing WORK for me now, maybe if I can actually get to some spawns I can get the last pieces of this set up to where I want them, and at least hands/waist/pants to 6. Still would be great to get one weapon to 6 as well but armor is gonna be first priority I think. gently caress I wish dual blades were in, that attack speed to apply status and proc burst would be amazing right now, plus hopefully better mobility.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I think people oversell the difficulty of understanding CB. It's one I was intimidated away from for ages because it seems like it's just so complicated but it really isn't. There's a warmup dance you need to do to charge your shield and after that, it's a pretty straightforward pattern of sword attacks to charge up, axe attacks to expend that charge. It's really neat when you can pull off the fancy stuff like guard pointing into a SAED but that's less to do with understanding the charge blade itself and more just having a general understanding of the monster attack timings and where your opening might be. Usually it's just easier to wait until you get a knockdown and blow your SAED there (although I tend to prefer chainsaw mode for that, I think it works out to more damage overall even if it's less satisfying).

"Less satisfying"

Speak for yourself, I got the chainsaw move in Iceborne and never looked back. gently caress all that fancy guard pointing SAED bullshit, I only want to RIP AND TEAR.

But yeah, CB isn't much more complicated to get. I'd actually say that the combat loop is more along the lines of Longsword or Switch Axe, where you build up a meter with normal attacks and expend it using bigger attacks, than what the fandom meme is. The complication comes from trying to get the guard point timings correct, especially if you're using ones that aren't the sword -> axe morph guard point.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
CB certainly isn't more complex than trying to remember which button does what during gunlance combos. That the buttons/outcomes switch around is just :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tfw the killcam focuses on the wrong kill

also the switch axe is... pretty neat? all of my reflexes are wrong about its moves because I expect the great sword moveset, but "kill until bar is full, swap, kill until it's over, use whetstone, repeat" is a solid loop

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It looks like you're wielding that Jagras as a great sword and beating the Anjanath to death with it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the switch axe owns

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bingsu posted:

"Less satisfying"

Speak for yourself, I got the chainsaw move in Iceborne and never looked back. gently caress all that fancy guard pointing SAED bullshit, I only want to RIP AND TEAR.

But yeah, CB isn't much more complicated to get. I'd actually say that the combat loop is more along the lines of Longsword or Switch Axe, where you build up a meter with normal attacks and expend it using bigger attacks, than what the fandom meme is. The complication comes from trying to get the guard point timings correct, especially if you're using ones that aren't the sword -> axe morph guard point.

I think thing about CB is you also don't have to do guard points. It's nice when you do get them and it's what gives the weapon a high skill ceiling but there's never really any time when you would be required to do one. It's not like longsword counters where there's a massive bonus for doing one successfully, it's just a slightly better block.

Badly Jester posted:

CB certainly isn't more complex than trying to remember which button does what during gunlance combos. That the buttons/outcomes switch around is just :psyduck:

Yeah I like GL but the button combo for the full burst loop is just absurd. I don't think there's any point in the sequence where you hit the same button/chord twice in a row. It's kind of satisfying to get into the loop and keep it going but it's so easy to forget where you are in the sequence and hit the wrong thing.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 15, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Johnny Joestar posted:

the switch axe owns

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think thing about CB is you also don't have to do guard points. It's nice when you do get them and it's what gives the weapon a high skill ceiling but there's never really any time when you would be required to do one. It's not like longsword counters where there's a massive bonus for doing one successfully, it's just a slightly better block.

To add to this, in some of the games there's not much benefit to the GP beyond the (admittedly huge) benefit of the stronger guard that may let you follow up without a huge stagger. World, and I guess 4U, let you do SAEDs all day long out of that GP but that's not in GU and I can't remember Rise CB details for the life of me.

CB is fun and good even if you use Guard 1 or 3 instead of GPs.

quote:

Yeah I like GL but the button combo for the full burst loop is just absurd. I don't think there's any point in the sequence where you hit the same button/chord twice in a row. It's kind of satisfying to get into the loop and keep it going but it's so easy to forget where you are in the sequence and hit the wrong thing.

After a while, just like CB, full burst GL becomes muscle memory: I'm doing full burst; I'm canceling into the sweep; etc.

Both are remarkably similar for me: cool chunky committed sequences to choose from, a huge gently caress off shield to nope attacks with, muscle memory instead of conscious inputs etc.

While I like SnS for eg too for its long combos, I found myself having to be way more conscious about inputs when doing its high DPS combos than the big burst CB/GL combos.

CB and GL are such high animation commitment that you learn them well enough to stop thinking, I guess?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the switch axe owns

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The main problem with switch axe in World is that it's even better in Rise, by like a lot.

v1ld posted:

To add to this, in some of the games there's not much benefit to the GP beyond the (admittedly huge) benefit of the stronger guard that may let you follow up without a huge stagger. World, and I guess 4U, let you do SAEDs all day long out of that GP but that's not in GU and I can't remember Rise CB details for the life of me.

Rise actually added a switch skill that gives you a damage boost when you SAED out of a guard point. SAEDs are in general harder to land in Rise though because the game is so much faster.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

To add to this, in some of the games there's not much benefit to the GP beyond the (admittedly huge) benefit of the stronger guard that may let you follow up without a huge stagger.

i think you're way underselling it - the biggest benefit to guard pointing is that it lets you plow through attacks and keep going. a traditional guard not only takes time to enter into but it also has a knockback period after it, so the entire time you're going into, guarding and recovering from a guard you can't do anything else

gp being near instantanous lets you no-sell a lot of monster attacks that you would normally have to either dodge or block letting you be far more aggressive and really changes the "back and forth" dynamic

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Triarii posted:

The main problem with switch axe in World is that it's even better in Rise, by like a lot.

This.

I'm going to be so sad when they take away the Elemental Burst Counter in the next game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Your Computer posted:

i think you're way underselling it - the biggest benefit to guard pointing is that it lets you plow through attacks and keep going. a traditional guard not only takes time to enter into but it also has a knockback period after it, so the entire time you're going into, guarding and recovering from a guard you can't do anything else

gp being near instantanous lets you no-sell a lot of monster attacks that you would normally have to either dodge or block letting you be far more aggressive and really changes the "back and forth" dynamic

That's completely fair. But it's also pretty high level - if you can do those things, you have the prediction to pull off one of the easiest GPs in the game (sword to axe).

Or maybe I should say it the other way around: if you're worried about the CB sword to Axe GP, just gem in Guard 1 or 3 and have fun with the rest of the weapon's amazing and fun moveset.

The only point I was trying to make is that the Guard 1 or 3 can make you a happy CB player. GPs are icing, they're not the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Johnny Joestar posted:

the switch axe owns