Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

lih posted:

the thinking that the voice was a simple (it hardly was when the public barely seemed to understand it at all)

You're an absolute mark who fell for racists pretending to be stupid rather than revealing their real thoughts on Aboriginals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it was a pretty flawed proposal - it was designed to be powerless to appease conservatives but didn't even get them on board, while it being powerless meant it was difficult to convey to the average person how it would actually improve anything

the yes campaign did a terrible job of communicating the proposal to the public, which let the no campaign spread all sorts of nonsense to fill that void largely unchallenged

the no campaign successfully pandered to people's underlying racism

none of those are contradictory

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Until a few days ago, Paul Parker was a volunteer firefighter in Nelligen, a small village on the coast of New South Wales, in Australia—an area that has been devastated by the bushfires currently sweeping the country. A week ago, Parker was defending homes in his community against a spreading inferno. The sky was red and burnt orange, he said. Embers were everywhere. Flames shot as high as forty feet. “I’ve fought a few bushfires in my time, but nothing like that,” Parker told me. “It’s the worst I’ve ever experienced.”

As Parker raced from one fire to another, on the brink of exhaustion, he encountered a local television crew and erupted in rage. In the video the crew shot, Parker is seen leaning out of a fire truck, giving a sarcastic thumbs-up, and launching a stream of expletives at the right-wing Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison. “Tell the Prime Minister to go and get hosed, from Nelligen,” Parker shouts. He then challenges Morrison to meet him face-to-face. “I’ve lost seven houses in Nelligan. I’m not going to lose any more,” he says. “Tell the P.M. to come and meet me. Paul Parker, in Nelligan. Meet you any day, pal.” The video instantly turned Parker into something of a folk hero.

In Parker’s community, and elsewhere, the crisis has provoked intense anger toward Morrison, who was on vacation in Hawaii when two firefighters died in December. Morrison returned to Australia, but his response to the wildfires has been widely condemned as slow and ineffective. Since September, millions of acres of land have burned, thousands of people have lost their homes and businesses, and at least twenty-eight have perished. Morrison’s history of skepticism toward climate change and the government’s record of inaction have infuriated Australians who understand that record-breaking heat and dryness, symptomatic of a warming planet, are fuelling the crisis. On Sunday, Morrison announced an inquiry into the country’s fire response, nodding to the role of climate change but failing to support policies to decrease fossil-fuel use or promote renewable energy.

Parker spoke with me twice by phone, from Australia, about the catastrophic fires and about how he and others in Nelligen have responded. His account, which begins on New Year’s Eve, has been edited and condensed.

“We knew the fire was coming. In the late afternoon, we could see the glow coming out of the mountains to the southwest, and we knew. At about ten o’clock, we went to bed, and at around ten-thirty we were back up again. It was coming through the trees, and we stayed awake until it impacted us, at about one-thirty in the morning. The fire had crowned, which means it was on the ground and in the treetops. It was just a massive wall of flame. I tried to tame it with buckets of water and by driving over the flames. It was horrific. The absolute intensity of it.

“As soon as I knew my home was relatively safe, I hooked up with a couple of other brigade members in one of the local Nelligen fire trucks. Just trying to survive was the main issue, and trying to save as many properties as we could. It was horrendous. Some people were at home, trying to defend their homes with rakes and shovels and garden hoses. Some houses we could save, some we couldn’t, and there was only so much we could do at each property before we had to move on and help others. We lost seven or eight properties in Nelligen.

“Most of the population was down at the river. They were just taking shelter and grouping together for comfort, I suppose. They were there all day on New Year’s Day, and most people were at the water’s edge on January 2nd as well. I stayed where the fire was active. I worked probably thirty-six hours. I had a couple of hours sleep and then I was back out again. The fire was flaring up every day.

“On January 4th, there was a huge flare-up, and three houses on the eastern side of the river were under major fire. Myself and another volunteer went up and down the best we could. The flames were massive. We could barely breathe, because when buildings go up there’s a lot of toxic materials, plastics and rubber and mattresses. A couple of residents were there trying to defend their own homes, but at one point we had to get them out. They were totally exhausted. It was the middle of the day, but the smoke was so thick you would have thought it was nighttime—that’s how dark the sky was. We got some aerial support from big helicopters dropping water bombs, and we did manage to save the three homes.

“Then the wind changed, so the flames were fully involved across the road, and we had to drive the truck through the fire front to get ourselves out. We were driving to stop the fire from going into the village, and we saw a TV-news team down on one of the access roads. It just was a boiling point for me. I said, ‘Are you from the media? Tell the Prime Minister to go and get hosed, from Nelligen. . . . We really enjoy doing this poo poo.’

“A couple of weeks earlier, the Prime Minister commented that Rural Fire Service members enjoy going out and fighting fires. He’s just got no understanding of what it’s all about. We don’t enjoy fighting bushfires and saving people’s homes. We do it because we have to. He’s got no understanding of what real people in Australia go through. And he doesn’t care anyway. Any real man would never have left the country while his country was in turmoil.

“Another part is that our government has been hamstrung over hazard-reduction burns. It’s all too political, what the Rural Fire Service can do. If hazard-reduction burns had been done over the last couple of years, the fuel loads in our forests wouldn’t be as high and the fires wouldn’t have been as severe.

“Climate change is also a real thing. It’s not something that can be fixed overnight, and the government’s got to make a stand at some stage. Scott Morrison doesn’t even believe in climate change. I don’t think he even considers that we are going through climate change. I don’t know the answers. I’m not a scientist. I don’t know how society as a whole is going to reduce emissions. We can’t just turn off fossil fuels, because if we do we’ll go back to the caveman days. These problems are complex—I understand that. But something needs to be done now, for our future generation, or there won’t be a future.

“Today, the 13th, is the first day I’ve been back at work. At the moment, I work for an air-conditioning company. Basically, from New Year’s Eve until today, I haven’t stopped. I’ve been defending homes and in between I’ve been working on my own property. We had no water, and the house was covered in black ash and soot. I had to wash it down, so, when we did get some rain, the soot wouldn’t contaminate it. I was also trying to get generators operating, get electricity, get refrigeration. Basically, I was just trying to reëstablish the services we need to live.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/as-told-to/the-firefighter-whose-denunciation-of-australias-prime-minister-made-him-a-folk-hero

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lih posted:

it was a pretty flawed proposal - it was designed to be powerless to appease conservatives but didn't even get them on board, while it being powerless meant it was difficult to convey to the average person how it would actually improve anything

the yes campaign did a terrible job of communicating the proposal to the public, which let the no campaign spread all sorts of nonsense to fill that void largely unchallenged

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Heard a friend of mine say that not everyone who voted no is racist, but every racist voted no.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remote NT communities almost all voted strongly for yes
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenElec/status/1713353768706928912

NT only has two electorates, Solomon (includes Darwin and Palmerston) which voted 65% no and Lingiari (Alice Springs, Katherine and pretty much all the rural/remote regions, with around a third of the votes being remote communities) which voted 55% no. If you looked at just the votes from the non-remote parts of the territory I think the no vote would be the highest in the entire country, even worse than Queensland

Yeah I was off target, evidently strong support in regional, majority Aboriginal communities. Elsewhere not so much.

Wonder if this will have an effect at state level. In NSW they've been sitting on Aboriginal cultural heritage legislation for a few years to replace the present system, which administers it under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 (:yikes:). WA recently rolled back similar legislation made in reaction to the juukan gorge. Seems like it could go either way?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're an absolute mark who fell for racists pretending to be stupid rather than revealing their real thoughts on Aboriginals.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lih posted:

Also the LNP's one-two punch of white-anting the debate with ridiculous conspiracy theories and then pushing the line "If you don't know vote No" was actually pretty shrewd and worked extremely well for them, even if they only blundered into the tactic by accident. It gave all the 'underlying racism' voters an extremely easy out by telling them they didn't have to think too hard about any of the issues at hand and if they ever found themselves feeling even a tiny bit conflicted about voting no that wasn't because of any personal flaw that required self-reflection but an external flaw in the referendum process

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Yeah I was off target, evidently strong support in regional, majority Aboriginal communities. Elsewhere not so much.

The situation in WA was pretty much the same:

quote:

By contrast there were just five polling places which showed the same level of support for the proposal – all but one of them mobile polling teams which went into remote communities in the massive seat of Durack, which stretches from WA's very northern tip down to Northam, north of Perth.

Other strongest supporters of the Voice included voters who cast ballots early in Fitzroy Crossing (80 per cent Yes) and voters in Leonora (79 per cent Yes).

Many polling places in the Kimberley supported the referendum, including in Broome, Wyndham and Halls Creek, while residents in Kununurra and Derby voted more in line with the national result.

Around 40 per cent of the population in the Kimberley are Indigenous, with the region grappling with significant justice, health and housing issues across multiple communities.

But further south in the Pilbara, where many of those same issues are in play, the result fell in line with the national and statewide trend, with the indigenous community of Roebourne (68 per cent) the only major town to record a Yes majority.

Meanwhile, deep rural farming regions voted hard no

quote:

Looking just at polling places where 100 or more formal votes have been counted as of around midday Sunday local time, there were 97 locations where at least 80 per cent of voters opposed the Voice.

Those leading pockets of opposition were in:

- Moonyoonooka, on the fringes of Geraldton
- Newdegate, a largely farming community in the Great Southern
- Calingiri about an hour-and-a-half north-east of Perth
- Mukinbudin in the Wheatbelt
- Cervantes, a coastal town two hours north of Perth.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-15/western-australia-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-results/102979200

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

bee posted:

Heard a friend of mine say that not everyone who voted no is racist, but every racist voted no.

i voted for the racist yes

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

GoldStandardConure posted:

i've been doing the work for about 13 years now

its very tiring

You are a literal saint for carrying the torch and Doing The Things.

TheLoneAmigo posted:

What work? What are you actually doing as “work” on this issue, other than slagging off the huge numbers of Indigenous activists who put their absolute loving hearts on the line over this referendum?

Idk if anyone else listened to the Blak Out show on triple J this afternoon, but it was just Treaty by Yothu Yindi on repeat. :smith:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Counterpoint: this attitude is precisely why the Yes campaign was unable to appeal to the huge chunk of people who were undecided through the campaign.

I thought this piece in the Saturday Paper a few weeks ago was pretty interesting.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2023/09/30/anatomy-no-the-people-voting-against-the-voice#mtr

Both in touching on the immense damage the media/no campaign centring people like Mundine and Thorpe did, implying the Indigenous view on the Voice was split:

quote:

During a National Press Club speech on Tuesday, Mundine went so far as to call the Voice a “symbolic declaration of war against modern Australia”.

The fact remains, though, that an overwhelming majority of First Peoples support a Voice to Parliament, that it was proposed after the largest consultative dialogues this country has seen, and that the conservative “No” campaign has focused on “division” and deliberately overstated Indigenous Australian opposition to the Voice.

“Usually people will want to vote in their self-interests,” the pollster says.

“Now, you can make the case that this vote is in all our interests, to make Australia a better country. But really, most people see it as they are being asked to vote in someone else’s best interests. And if you can’t be sure those people even want it?

“The middle ground in Australia is voting ‘No’ at the moment. And they’re voting ‘No’ not because they’re racist but because they haven’t been convinced that this is the right thing to do.”

And also on the fact that a huge chunk of white Australians didn't think the Voice was necessary because they don't see that Indigenous Australians are disadvantaged in the first place:

quote:

Focus groups conducted late last year with thousands of participants revealed a shocking hurdle: almost a third of all participants believed First Nations people had been treated fairly. Not just now, but since invasion.

In addition to those people were others who might be convinced by the impact of colonisation but who now think the harm has been counterbalanced.

“There’s a group of people who kind of think, well, you know, there was some bad stuff in the past,” a researcher not authorised to speak publicly said, “but now we have Welcome to Country and if you tick a particular box on an unemployment form and you’re Aboriginal you get preferential treatment and if you want to plant a tree in Western Australia you’ve got to get, you know, some First Nations group to say ‘yeah’.”

“So, even if there is a recognition that things have been bad, there is a view that, well, we’ve got all these other things now.”

I don't really understand why the journo describes that as a "shocking" hurdle. It shouldn't be a surprise to learn that a lot of Australians are completely switched-off from issues that don't affect them, don't personally know many or even any Indigenous people, and therefore have a vague sense that things are fine now because the Herald Sun says we pump billions of dollars a year into remote communities. I don't know how you get a Yes vote on the Voice - let alone more meaningful progress towards treaty or reconciliation - while such a large chunk of the population denies there's a problem in the first place, but I do know that it's sure as hell not going to be through a popular vote.

Anyway - No voters weren't "pretending to be stupid."

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
your first sentence is completely at odds with the conclusions that article draws lol, the yes campaign failed bc australia is a deeply racist country and its pathetic to try and pin the failings of the referendum on people who point that out

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Remote NT communities almost all voted strongly for yes
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenElec/status/1713353768706928912

NT only has two electorates, Solomon (includes Darwin and Palmerston) which voted 65% no and Lingiari (Alice Springs, Katherine and pretty much all the rural/remote regions, with around a third of the votes being remote communities) which voted 55% no. If you looked at just the votes from the non-remote parts of the territory I think the no vote would be the highest in the entire country, even worse than Queensland

Lol, gotta love JNP on the radio today saying these particular voters were too manipulated and uninformed for them to be taken seriously.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

One of my friends is an indigenous nurse in regional Australia, they're having a rough loving time today.

Oh and they're also trans and the LNP have announced that trans rights are their next big target

The use of US style misinformation campaigns over facebook/ticktock etc. worked with the culture war on race, now they are going to do it on gender.

I mean we all knew how racist Australia is/was, now we get to see how many TERFs are among us.

Which will be fun.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

I don't know how you get a Yes vote on the Voice - let alone more meaningful progress towards treaty or reconciliation - while such a large chunk of the population denies there's a problem in the first place,

This was the importance of Truth > Treaty > Voice, because you can't make meaningful progress on either the treaty or the voice people refuse to acknowledge what has happened, and is still happening, to First Nations people here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This was the importance of Truth > Treaty > Voice, because you can't make meaningful progress on either the treaty or the voice people refuse to acknowledge what has happened, and is still happening, to First Nations people here.
100%

seems like the majority of Australians don't want to acknowledge it, they would prefer to not think about it at all

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

BrigadierSensible posted:

The use of US style misinformation campaigns over facebook/ticktock etc. worked with the culture war on race, now they are going to do it on gender.

I mean we all knew how racist Australia is/was, now we get to see how many TERFs are among us.

Which will be fun.

Albo is a terf

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Albo is a terf

he doesn't strike me as a very radical feminist

he's just poo poo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
He went on Piers Morgan and said women are women when visiting the King.

It seemed like very UK Labour behaviour to me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
...... and to absolutely no one's surprise, Dutton has immediately backed down on his commitment to hold a second referendum to add Indigenous recognition to the constitution

quote:

"I think that [constitutional recognition] is important, but I think it's clear that the Australian public is probably over the referendum process for some time."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-16/live-updates-voice-to-parliament-referendum-latest-news/102980014#live-blog-post-54612

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Never been sadder to save 10 USD.

I voted Yes. I voted absentee and will never do so again (It is ridiculously tedious and the tiny queue took forever).

Had a huge fight with my gf about it as she voted No, and not the progressive kind. At least she isn't lying to me. The booth in her suburb just about topped Australia at 75% No 25% Yes. They are 3/4 racist scum there.

Locally the indigenous population is 11%. Factoring this into the local numbers, that figure (75%) is pretty much duplicated across Cowper except for Bellingen and a very few other exceptions.

Still on a personal note, spent the W/E at the Wingham Music Festival. It was very good and had a nice, if elderly, vibe (Felicity Urquhart made me like country music - breifly). But the shadow of No loomed over procedings and the only indigenous faces in the sea of white boomers were either on stage or at the smoking ceremony.

It took 13 years to set the clock back at least 20 years. Indigenous people don't have that kind of time. If there is a role to be had in this fight point me at it.

Spookydonut posted:

why is dutton talking like he just won a federal election
Because he probably has (The next one). This whole process was an enrmous gift to him and the forces of darkness.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I don't think the failure of the referendum in any way translates to the public having warmed up to Dutton/the Libs over Albo/Labor, and polling continues to reflect that.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bowmore posted:

100%

seems like the majority of Australians don't want to acknowledge it, they would prefer to not think about it at all

They don't want to think about anything at all

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I don't think the failure of the referendum in any way translates to the public having warmed up to Dutton/the Libs over Albo/Labor, and polling continues to reflect that.

The only question I heard put to albo on the night was about how his views conflict with the majority of Australians, and was literally trying to start leadership speculation

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

They don't want to think about anything at all
no doubt

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

no doubt

hey don't bring ska into this, no doubt did nothing wrong

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hey don't bring ska into this, no doubt did nothing wrong

Counterpoint: Their cover of The Vandals' Oi To The World.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
don't speak is still a good song

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

bowmore posted:

100%

yep

it gets mentally filed into the "not my problem" basket

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Counterpoint: Their cover of The Vandals' Oi To The World.

no doubt did a little wrong

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

...... and to absolutely no one's surprise, Dutton has immediately backed down on his commitment to hold a second referendum to add Indigenous recognition to the constitution

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-16/live-updates-voice-to-parliament-referendum-latest-news/102980014#live-blog-post-54612

Lmao

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Impossible to see coming; I have been duped and my no is no longer progressing

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

*shocked pikachu*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Which will be fun.

They lost the marriage equality vote and have been stewing ever since.

It's going to be so loving ugly :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

But what if I don't believe in singling out people just because of their race? :justaskingquestions:

Mentioning one group of people in the constitution sounds just like racism to me!

- actual conversation I had with more than one person :sigh:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

...and now Spotify is suggesting Peta Credlin's podcast to me. Goddamn this world can just go and get hosed at the moment.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Nation of rugged individualists vote against minority interests; news at loving 11

What a failure, Labor had a hard job to convince people for sure but they cocked it up and now the right wing dickheads are taking a victory lap when all they had to do was do was rub their fingers together in the universal symbol for "it'll cost ya" and the result would have been the same

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Murdoch was never going to let it pass.

Doesn't matter what Labor or anyone else did or said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/oct/15/indigenous-communities-overwhelmingly-voted-yes-to-australias-voice-to-parliament

Wow, who would have thought that the people concerned would want representation!

Good thing the no (progressive) won! Now they get an even better outcome, I assume.