Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Unbound posted:

I don't understand why people play games in a series they clearly don't like

I mean, people watch things they don't like (peruse any SA thread about Star Wars) so it makes sense people will play games they don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm surprised there are people out there still unfamiliar with Yahtzee's entire schtick.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't played this in a while because goddamn I hate Invasion mode so much, just endless boring 1-round fights with dozens of modifiers and each area seems locked to the same 4 characters too. Add the secret fights/attacks midway through nodes and it's just not fun; I doubt I'll be able to unlock much more skinwise because I legit hate this mode and wish I had some alternative Tower stuff. Not like skins matter when there's still only 1 goddamn slot for them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I haven't played this in a while because goddamn I hate Invasion mode so much, just endless boring 1-round fights with dozens of modifiers and each area seems locked to the same 4 characters too. Add the secret fights/attacks midway through nodes and it's just not fun; I doubt I'll be able to unlock much more skinwise because I legit hate this mode and wish I had some alternative Tower stuff. Not like skins matter when there's still only 1 goddamn slot for them.

Unlike the last several MKs, the single player stuff in this is not worth bothering with. Maybe play through the story once then go straight to online.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Weirdly enough I’ve been liking Sonya as a kameo for Ashrah more than Goro and Scorp. You do lose making her overhead safe and being able to combo off the backthrow, but her throw combo while cool is an inefficient use of meter and I find a lot of online players have difficulty punishing Ashrah’s overhead anyway. Sonya meanwhile lets you option select on most of Ashrah’s best strings without even having to hit confirm. 122, 223, f423, if they’re all blocked it’s safe but even if they only get dinged on the last hit they’re in the air and are now taking 300+ damage. Her ambush fits so easily into Ashrah’s combo structure and I think has the highest damage potential of anyone in the kast. The energy ring pressure also helps with the one aspect I really tend to struggle with for Ashrah, which is getting back in against zoners from fullscreen. Sonya Blade, C-tier kameo but A+ for Ashrah. If her scissor kick was a command throw she’d be godly.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 6, 2023

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I main ashrah too and I'm right there with you on Sonya. The throw combos don't seem to really be worth the cost just for ~250 damage.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Unbound posted:

I don't understand why people play games in a series they clearly don't like

he gets paid to review games

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Borsche69 posted:

he gets paid to review games

More specifically highlighting the negatives in recent games has been his "Brand" for more than a decade now.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hello mk thread

i'm mad about Deception in the year 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TGLT posted:

hello mk thread

i'm mad about Deception in the year 2023

Wait until you find the Scorpion battle in Edenia that has him do 300% more damage and you cannot block

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
cool, i love ed boon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Slowly ranking my way up to Demi-God. I can only stand to play 4-5 ranked matches a day because the ladder anxiety is too intense. There are still some scrubs in GM but for the most part I can't just steamroll my way through like I did with MK11. The highlight reel damage that pretty much any character can pull off keeps you somewhat honest. Thankfully most players at this level still struggle to punish Ashrah.

Tell you who are all scrubs though - Scorpion players. I've played like 12 of them and they're all exactly the same. Back up to fullscreen and throw spear. If that doesn't work, bring out Sareena and hope they get nicked on the return. They don't even scumbag teleport like they did back in MK11, but I guess that's what happens when you need to actually hit things to gain meter. Some things never change.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

exquisite tea posted:

Thankfully most players at this level still struggle to punish Ashrah.

The amount of times most players will block and let you loop f2-light stance fireball is really amusing to me, I always have a full 3 bars of meter

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Installed a split dpad mod on my Dualshock 5 and now MK1 feels 10x better. Turns out the dpad can register one button as a diagonal if you aren't careful.

Not anymore! Dpad works great now and my inputs are cleaner than ever. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
After MK11 Towers of Time being massively patched due to having the exact same issues as Invasion (awful modifiers and meager rewards), I'm comfortable in saying that NetherRealm's single player game designer isn't very good at their job.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I actually don't think MK1 is missing too much. All it really needs are some lengthy character-specific towers to grind mastery levels on because they are slow to come by unless you play that character online and there's little reason to replay the invasion maps once you've cleared them. Those were fun in MK11.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
An epic for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gwaYrwS380

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjjnkLuNyDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC88RNpors

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://youtu.be/ySWxnUqajQ0?si=Ruumg9Q_8xT3_XQ9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySWxnUqajQ0

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

HE CAN DODGE

Also that ending.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So does this mean

Earthrealm, Outworld, Netherrealm, etc. all have fully functioning public transit/subway systems? All throughout even most remote/rural areas?

As an American, this is incredibly depressing.

e: Oh, wait, nvm

I missed that he flies upwards offscreen to get to the subway. I thought he slammed through the ground immediately (which I do think is a funnier idea)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Scholtz posted:

So does this mean

Earthrealm, Outworld, Netherrealm, etc. all have fully functioning public transit/subway systems? All throughout even most remote/rural areas?

As an American, this is incredibly depressing.

e: Oh, wait, nvm

I missed that he flies upwards offscreen to get to the subway. I thought he slammed through the ground immediately (which I do think is a funnier idea)

They do not OP.

Also the eyepop fetish from mk11 fatalities is back

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

eh what is this trash poo poo

tremor looks cool tho

did i miss the subway in mk1.... ??

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol never trust ed boon

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm just excited to see my favorite stage again, even if it isn't playable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1713278458200023095

hey wait we all missed something big in the trailer

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Not that we really got to see much, but he seems like he'll play similar to Jax. Got heavy brawler/grappler vibes from what we saw.

Was more excited to see Tremor though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m severely out of touch with pop culture so these guest characters do nothing for me compared to say, a Robocop or a Rambo

They almost feel studio mandated. Like hey this is the current poo poo, help us sell that

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dads everywhere dismayed that there's a guest character that wasn't in a film released when they were 10

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Dads everywhere dismayed that there's a guest character that wasn't in a film released when they were 10

I mean. Yeah

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

We were cockteased with Ash, and I will never get over it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I wasn't hyped for Omniman until I saw that subway fatality though. They took my favorite stage fatality and made it so good, I might have to pocket him just for it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love his fighting style too, he's a graceless brawler in a game full of martial artists but also unique from Superman in IJ, he seems more brutal somehow. I wonder how they're going to differentiate him and Homelander.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

I love his fighting style too, he's a graceless brawler in a game full of martial artists but also unique from Superman in IJ, he seems more brutal somehow. I wonder how they're going to differentiate him and Homelander.

I'd expect Homelander to have like 4 kinds of eye lasers and be a zoner because in The Boys he kinda shies away from fistfights and just defaults to eye lasering all his problems away.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Homelander will be a buff character that drinks bottles of breast milk to power up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ashrah owns Scorpion so badly in this game lmao. Double low, full combo punishable. Spear at anything less than fullscreen, full combo punishable. I'd almost feel bad but it's what any Scorpion main deserves.

https://i.imgur.com/MhoRzmm.mp4

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

DarklyDreaming posted:

More specifically highlighting the negatives in recent games has been his "Brand" for more than a decade now.

But surely it's like any reviewer. Movies, games, tv. You look at the reviewers you know who like the same things as you and ignore the rest, because ultimately it's a subjective thing. Just ignore this guy's video game opinions if you know you don't share the same taste.

There's actually quite an irony in those people complaining about him playing games he knows he won't like, while simultaneously watching his reviews, that they know they won't like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Went on a nice little 6-3 run to hit Demi-God this morning. Took me exactly 150 games, going 90-60 in ranked. Got quite a few quitalities today so I didn't even have to work that hard!

I think I'm doing well enough to make it to God by the end of this season but I don't know if I have the stamina for it. I miss my EZ wins against Smoke and Mileena, now it's nothing but Johnnys, Barakas, and Raidens who know how to do that One Jax Combo and nothing else. Unfortunately it's still good enough to work!

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

exquisite tea posted:

Went on a nice little 6-3 run to hit Demi-God this morning. Took me exactly 150 games, going 90-60 in ranked. Got quite a few quitalities today so I didn't even have to work that hard!

I think I'm doing well enough to make it to God by the end of this season but I don't know if I have the stamina for it. I miss my EZ wins against Smoke and Mileena, now it's nothing but Johnnys, Barakas, and Raidens who know how to do that One Jax Combo and nothing else. Unfortunately it's still good enough to work!

good job keep going

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Areola Grande posted:

good job keep going

get outta here ed boon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

X JAKK posted:

get outta here ed boon

Excuse me, this is the Ed Boon Appreciation Station and that doesn't seem appreciative of Ed Boon at all.