Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, brush off with vinegar and then rinse with isopropyl alcohol and that should clean things up nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

DanTheFryingPan posted:

You shoot on a 10 year old flagship DSLR with a flagship lens and suddenly it's much easier to acquire and track your subject.

Hell yeah. My Nikon D5 locks on and doesn’t let go.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Went to the camera store today and checked out the Sony a6100 and the canon eos r50. Not really sure of the pros and cons of one or the other but they are both so tiny. Is there anything big that should pull me one way or the other? Lens compatibility or anything like that that would be an issue down the line? I’m a total amateur so the tech specs don’t mean a ton to me. Larger sensor = better! Aesthetically I like the Sony more. Like the idea of pocketing it in a jacket.

The guy let me check out a few different lenses. And it was cool to see the difference between the zoom and prime lens in terms of how you’d actually shoot with them and compose shots. I’d probably want a little pancake lens for easy everyday use I think.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sony cameras look cooler but I find them very uncomfortable in the hand compared to Canon, but that's speaking generally; I have not held those two

Sony has more lenses and you can use third-party lenses with their mirrorless line, unlike Canon (for now, and you can still use manual-focus lenses; it's just the auto-focus that doesn't work for third-party lenses)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Awesome, thanks. Still gonna hold off and look into it more but yeah I’m leaning towards the sony. They had a bunch of used gear too, so I can branch out with different lenses and stuff pretty easily. Gettin’ hyped to take some pics.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Went to the camera store today and checked out the Sony a6100 and the canon eos r50. Not really sure of the pros and cons of one or the other but they are both so tiny. Is there anything big that should pull me one way or the other? Lens compatibility or anything like that that would be an issue down the line? I’m a total amateur so the tech specs don’t mean a ton to me. Larger sensor = better! Aesthetically I like the Sony more. Like the idea of pocketing it in a jacket.

The guy let me check out a few different lenses. And it was cool to see the difference between the zoom and prime lens in terms of how you’d actually shoot with them and compose shots. I’d probably want a little pancake lens for easy everyday use I think.

The Sony is a much older camera while the Canon was just recently released. Honestly, a lot of the Sony range is extremely confusing right now with them continuing to make several older models so you might want to cross-shop some of the later cameras too.

One other thing with the Sony is, because it's using the same mount (E-mount) as their full frame cameras, unless the lens was specifically meant for their APS-C cameras, it's going to have about a 1.5x higher focal length than what it's marked as.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
APSC specific lenses are still affected by the 1.5/1.6 factors, they’re just able to be wider/lighter/smaller because their image circle coverage is much smaller. Crop sensors don’t zoom the focal length, they just crop in on the native focal length which is exactly how crop mode works on full frame sensors. You multiple the focal length to get comparable numbers for full vs crop, but it’s not actually zooming in on the focal reach.

And Canon RF bodies all use the same RF mount as well, crop or full frame. There are only a few crop specific lenses for RF (called RF-S) and none are really great (slow zooms).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 15, 2023

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What’s a decent tripod I can bring hiking? Preferably under $150, if that even exists. Or is this more of a buy once cry once kind of a purchase?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You have to choose 2 of the 3 with tripods:

light
stable
cheap

If you can stomach it, the Ulanzi Zero Y is a rock solid carbon tripod in the $350 range that will last a long time and is extremely light and compact for a fullsize tripod. That would be my choice for a hiking friendly tripod (that also works for any other uses).

\/ yeah, a cheap EF adapter gives you access to way more lenses than E mount offers, and the native RF glass is the best I've ever used.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 15, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Sony has more lenses and you can use third-party lenses with their mirrorless line, unlike Canon (for now, and you can still use manual-focus lenses; it's just the auto-focus that doesn't work for third-party lenses)

maybe you’re talking about something different but I have a mirrorless canon - R - and use a EF sigma and autofocus works brilliantly

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

maybe you’re talking about something different but I have a mirrorless canon - R - and use a EF sigma and autofocus works brilliantly

I think that's referring to non-official adapters, whereas there's the official RF -> EF adapter, and if it's a native EF lens...

mostly it's for things like old lenses or Canon EF/Nikon F glass, from memory, because the Sony bodies have been good, the mount allows for adaptations and the lens portfolio does have gaps.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They’re referring to third party RF mount lenses. Canon has the mount locked down and no third parties can make auto focus lenses in RF yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

They’re referring to third party RF mount lenses. Canon has the mount locked down and no third parties can make auto focus lenses in RF yet.

That's supposed to change soon. The end of the year i think? I just kinda glazed over the headlines but it was announced last month.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's good news, hadn't heard any updates but I don't follow much gear stuff. I just want the 35L to drop already.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hi guys, total beginner here with a total beginner question: we have an olympus PEN E-P7 with the kit pancake 14-42 lens. We're going on a multiple month round trip around asia and I'd like to have a cheap zoom lens for landscape and wildlife photography, basically to just play around with, no serious work or anything.

I found the Olympus m.zuiko 40-150R recommended and it seems to fit well into both weight and price range, it can be found for sub 100 bux on ebay. Any reason not to go with this one or is there anything much better?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

I found the Olympus m.zuiko 40-150R recommended and it seems to fit well into both weight and price range, it can be found for sub 100 bux on ebay. Any reason not to go with this one or is there anything much better?

I've had both the cheap 40-150mm and the 75-300mm and they were both good, with the latter being 'great'. No weather sealing but nice and small in both size and cost.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

23 Skidoo posted:

I've had both the cheap 40-150mm and the 75-300mm and they were both good, with the latter being 'great'. No weather sealing but nice and small in both size and cost.

Well that's all the endorsement I need :) got the 40-150 for 95€, very exited to try it out!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any reason the AF wouldn't be working on this new fisheye I bought? It's a Nikkor 16mm AF f/2.8D; I bought it because I was tired of loving around with the MF Sigma fisheye. Really should have brought my FTZ adaptor, because as soon as I got it home to try it out, I found that the thing doesn't want to change out of manual focus.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I don't really know Nikon but isn't there some sort of older screwdrive AF system that doesn't work with FTZ adapters?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Anything pre AF-I won't auto focus with the FTZ adapter.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-ftz-adapter-lens-compatibility#nikon-nikkor-brand-lenses

With the Nikon ZFs release I kind hope Nikon make some kind of retro inspired adapter that has the screw so you can adapt the old lenses.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 16, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well gently caress me, I guess I'm returning that lens then. :(

Thanks for the info.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just picked up a Polaroid OneStep Flash for real cheap, and upon reading about it learned that the battery is integrated into the film cartridge and needs to be replaced with every cartridge (usually 8 exposures :catstare:)

Has someone figured out a way to put a rechargeable battery in these things and just replace the actual photo paper (negatives? I dont know what to call them) each time? Does anyone make photo paper for these besides polaroid? The whole thing seems super wasteful and weirdly expensive to me

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I just picked up a Polaroid OneStep Flash for real cheap, and upon reading about it learned that the battery is integrated into the film cartridge and needs to be replaced with every cartridge (usually 8 exposures :catstare:)

Has someone figured out a way to put a rechargeable battery in these things and just replace the actual photo paper (negatives? I dont know what to call them) each time? Does anyone make photo paper for these besides polaroid? The whole thing seems super wasteful and weirdly expensive to me

The very brand new models have a battery integral to the camera, but until then all the old Polaroids were charged from a battery in the film cartridge. Which made sense since the batteries back then were really only good for 10 shots anyway.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

AFAIK it's still just film for Polaroids, even though it's technically film + developer.

Instant film is incredibly wasteful yes. Nobody makes alternative/aftermarket film because the film itself is the most complicated part of the cameras - Fuji makes Instax film which is the same basic concept but actually works a bit different and is also in incompatible sizes (in addition to incompatible cartridges :v:).

You can very sketchily do several different mods to tap into the battery terminals in the camera and use modern I-Type film with, which is the same format as 600 film minus the integral battery, and just throw on an external pack somewhere.

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/23/how-to-shoot-polaroid-i-type-film-in-a-old-polaroid-600/

If you don't mind a lot of fumbling and being very careful, you can take a 600 cartridge and an I-Type cartridge and put them both in a changing bag, and remove the film from the I-Type cartridge and feed it into the 600 cartridge, but that won't really get you too far - even in the new production stuff the batteries are still extremely low spec and will barely have enough juice for maybe an additional cart's worth of photos.

mind you this doesn't save you much at all in terms of actual money, I-Type carts are like $16 and 600 carts are like $19.

also the 8 shots is a limitation from the modern production, all the old cameras are set up for 10 shots but because they had to completely reverse engineer the manufacturing process the new film is a bit thicker than the old production stuff so they can only fit 8 in a cart.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah the battery probably isn't even close to the most wasteful part of instant film. Also it makes really good sense from the standpoint that no batteries in the camera meant no battery leaking and destroying the camera in storage

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

Anything pre AF-I won't auto focus with the FTZ adapter.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-ftz-adapter-lens-compatibility#nikon-nikkor-brand-lenses

With the Nikon ZFs release I kind hope Nikon make some kind of retro inspired adapter that has the screw so you can adapt the old lenses.

AF-D lenses are so cheap now because of this. I have to stop myself from buying the primes just because I can.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Well, good news is that it works, and there is definitely something cool and satisfying about instant photography that is different than the instant-ness of digital photography

I still don’t know how I feel about the cost and wastefulness of it all though. I guess if I really fall in love I can maybe look at moving to instax. For now I have two cartridges to shoot through.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone purchased from MBP? Thinking about picking by up a used Oly EM1 Mkiii to play with

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone purchased from MBP? Thinking about picking by up a used Oly EM1 Mkiii to play with
I once bought an old DSLR from then then traded it the day after as part of a Canon trade-in promotion. The Canon discount was twice was I paid MBP. I had no issues, but I can't say I was a demanding customer, I just wanted the cheapest possible qualifying model in working order, so this story doesn't really help.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done two sales and two purchases from MBP and they've gone fine. You can find forum posts on other sites of people having issues though.. so I guess it's a business like any other. It usually goes well but sometimes it goes bad and people get mad online.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I've bought two things from MPB, a lens and a film camera body. They both took a bit longer to arrive than the shipping estimate said but they were well packed and the condition descriptions were accurate.

Their support also did help when I contacted them about the shipping delays.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you. I will also check KEH and Oly refurb before ordering

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

The local brick and mortar camera shop that I use looks like they have one of those, FWIW. Don't know how their price compares, but they're legit and knowledgeable.

https://competitive-cameras.shoplightspeed.com/used-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-iii-mirrorless-camera.html

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Some posters have had issues with the US customer service, but EU seems to be generally positive. As usual, YMMV. Check and double check whatever you've ordered, and return if needed, no matter where you order from. MPB has a warranty period, not sure about the others.

If you're in the US, B&H and Adorama also have extensive used departments.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Used Photo Pro from Robert’s Camera has also been solid for me, with prices usually slightly below KEH and MPB https://usedphotopro.com

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Son of Rodney posted:

Well that's all the endorsement I need :) got the 40-150 for 95€, very exited to try it out!

Update: came today and is exactly what I wanted, a simple little zoom for a very affordable price. Gotta fill the bird feeder and start making some nice big pictures of our local songbirds :)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

frogbs posted:

Used Photo Pro from Robert’s Camera has also been solid for me, with prices usually slightly below KEH and MPB https://usedphotopro.com

I love these guys. Great communication and everything is conservatively graded. Got a good rated Nikon 70-200 2.8 and it looks brand new except for a couple tiny blemishes on the tripod foot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a sigma 135mm f/1.8 art lens EF mount that I use via adapter to canon eos R

gently caress me I love this lens

sometimes maybe a shorter lens would work. maybe an 85mm would be more appropriate sometimes.. but compared to most people where I live it gives me a bit of a unique edge coz my photos don’t tend to look like anyone else’s. for better or for worse

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
There's always the Sigma Art 105mm f/1.4. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

frogbs posted:

Added them to the list. They publish the shutter count which is nice. IMHO a sub 1000 shot camera is basically new