Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Listen. Do you smell something?

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
What are people using to prop up their phone cameras for the new FaceTime app? (I will never attach a pop socket to my phone. They look horrible and have a horrible name). I can definitely see myself using it for work meetings etc.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't use facetime, but for mounts, the glif makes it very easy to mount and unmount a phone regularly: it literally takes a second, which is what you want. looks like the gorillapod 1k and griptight is currently discounted

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

What are people using to prop up their phone cameras for the new FaceTime app? (I will never attach a pop socket to my phone. They look horrible and have a horrible name). I can definitely see myself using it for work meetings etc.

I just prop it up against the TV lol

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use an iPad

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids paw patrol lookout tower.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

I just prop it up against the TV lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I hope that's NSO but I know it's a regular n64 set to widescreen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BRB going into the attic so I can watch the living room tv.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Spine surgeons must be rakin it in

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Haven’t tried it yet but I have this:

https://www.zagg.com/snap-plus-powerstation-stand

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Doesn't it need to use the back cameras (like continuity on Mac) or am I misunderstanding how it works here?

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

What

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

goverhaus vibes

that's a load bearing TV it has to be there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Going for doctors office TV vibes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Doesn't it need to use the back cameras (like continuity on Mac) or am I misunderstanding how it works here?

Yeah, I didn’t clarify that I would probably have to prop it up a bit.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Wow I do not like the change to control center. Turning off my Apple TV used to be two clicks: Hold the TV/Home button until the old cal trolls pop up, press touch pad because "sleep" was pre-selected.

Now it's: Hold home button until control center pops up, then slide around and miss the goddamn power off button and wind up changing profiles instead.

UGH!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hold down the power button

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I have never once turned off my Apple TV. I just turn off the TV itself and I assume the Apple device takes care of itself somehow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Pretty sure I have never once turned off my Apple TV. I just turn off the TV itself and I assume the Apple device takes care of itself somehow.

Yup.

It’s such a low power device I don’t even worry about it.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

kri kri posted:

Hold down the power button

My remote doesn't have a power button.

Batteries died in my tv remote because I never use it. Been rocking just the ATV remote for years now because everything worked together the way I liked it.

Now I just tell Siri on my phone to turn it off. It's still annoying.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Steam Link on the Apple TV 4K is probably the best it’s ever been for me. Vibration works for my Xbox One Series S controller and everything. I’m really glad I went with it over the Nvidia Shield TV.

Even the OG Steam Link and raspberry pi versions had tons of problems for me.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
did you forward any ports for it? it’s always been miserable to use for me

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

My remote doesn't have a power button.

Batteries died in my tv remote because I never use it. Been rocking just the ATV remote for years now because everything worked together the way I liked it.

Now I just tell Siri on my phone to turn it off. It's still annoying.

All the atv remotes I’ve had for years have power buttons

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CaptainCrunch posted:

Wow I do not like the change to control center. Turning off my Apple TV used to be two clicks: Hold the TV/Home button until the old cal trolls pop up, press touch pad because "sleep" was pre-selected.

Now it's: Hold home button until control center pops up, then slide around and miss the goddamn power off button and wind up changing profiles instead.

UGH!
Lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

All the atv remotes I’ve had for years have power buttons

Siri Gen 2 from 2021 onwards has a power button, none of the previous ones do. Probably still a lot of Gen 1 4K boxes out there given there’s not a huge amount of changes since they brought it out besides the remote.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New control center is literally be best feature of AppleTVOS 17. The sleep timer rocks!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

kliras posted:

did you forward any ports for it? it’s always been miserable to use for me

Nope, but everything is hardwired

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with cleaning out a Siri Remote (silver with power button)?

*Someone* might have spilled a drink on the remote and now the volume button is constantly stuck on volume down. I tried putting a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton swap to see if it would get in but it looks real tight.

Or am I just out $60?

Edit: I found an iFixit guide and was able to pop the button off. Unfortunately the glitch is somewhere else so I gave up.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had that happen and it got replaced under warranty because I didn’t remember/mention what caused the thing to get stuck :v: (for real I didn’t know anymore and it just stopped working for some buttons)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning out a Siri Remote (silver with power button)?

*Someone* might have spilled a drink on the remote and now the volume button is constantly stuck on volume down. I tried putting a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton swap to see if it would get in but it looks real tight.

Or am I just out $60?

Edit: I found an iFixit guide and was able to pop the button off. Unfortunately the glitch is somewhere else so I gave up.

I had the same thing happen and cleaning it only partially worked but as a last ditch effort I did a complete remote restart and that, for some reason, resolved my issues completely. Worth a shot.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/restart-siri-remote-apple-tv-remote/

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I had the same thing happen and cleaning it only partially worked but as a last ditch effort I did a complete remote restart and that, for some reason, resolved my issues completely. Worth a shot.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/restart-siri-remote-apple-tv-remote/
Genius, this worked! Thanks!

Maybe *someone* didn’t spill whiskey on it…

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve had it happen 2 or 3 times in the past few months where the remote works fine EXCEPT for the volume controls. Every time I’ve just reset the remote and it works perfectly fine afterwards.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Excellent, all what I was hoping to hear :awesomelon:

Moving towards actually buying the Apple TV 4K to replace my Fire TV Cube 2nd gen. The performance is a bit choppy even after a factory reset for some reason, and Amazon is apparently adding 5 new ways to insert ads into the UI.

A few questions for you goons though. Is there a possible refresh coming soon to the 2022 (3rd generation) Apple box with Ethernet built-in? Wouldn't bother me if it's a year until the next generation is out but if one is thought likely within the next few months I could wait.

Second, are the following apps supported? Don't judge!

1. Plex
  2. Disney+
  3. Hayu
  4. Netflix
  5. Amazon Prime Video
  6. Amazon Music Prime
  7. Spotify
  8. NowTV
  9. BBC iPlayer
  10. Channel 4
  11. My5
  12. ITVx
  13. NordVPN

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 2, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A few questions for you goons though. Is there a possible refresh coming soon to the 2022 (3rd generation) Apple box with Ethernet built-in? Wouldn't bother me if it's a year until the next generation is out but if one is thought likely within the next few months I could wait.

1. Plex
  2. Disney+
  3. Netflix

Just confirming that those ones I have installed right now and work great, hopefully others will chime in on yours.

My current Apple TV 4K has Ethernet and is on a wired connection with no complaints.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Average time between new models is around two years. I wouldn't expect a new one for at least a year.

I can confirm the following, but I'm not going to search the App Store to find the rest: Plex, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Music Prime, Spotify

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only one there I'm not sure of is Nord, all the UK streaming channels have their apps on ATV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It can do custom dns which works better than vpns half the time for geo disguising, I think there’s new vpn client support but I haven’t bothered looking into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Moving towards actually buying the Apple TV 4K to replace my Fire TV Cube 2nd gen. The performance is a bit choppy even after a factory reset for some reason, and Amazon is apparently adding 5 new ways to insert ads into the UI.

1. ITVx
Confirmed, works well on apple tv.