Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Finally Yanukovich no longer has the most embarrassing interaction with a wreath in Eastern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

State of Russian Orthodox Church: apparently Patriarch Kirill has a copy of Andrei Rublev's Trinity in his office with himself painted on it. Somehow not a Russian Onion photoshop, posted on official website.

https://twitter.com/SibirPost/status/1712376041807708507?t=lH2MTCkwk2gqRde86_OTCw&s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Someone else compared it to hunting trophy photos, which is very fitting. The original icon is basically dead now that it's displayed in an uncontrolled environment. It will continue to chip and crack until it can't be fixed anymore.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Kaczynski has three three cases filed against him at the prokuratura, and the rozzers refused his demands to take that dudes phone away. Something’s in the water I think, thought I recon this is mostly the boots on the ground guys trying to save their asses before and if the new boss comes in.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

OddObserver posted:

Finally Yanukovich no longer has the most embarrassing interaction with a wreath in Eastern Europe.

Oh wow, I'd never seen that video before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7SkSklXcQ

:allears:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't even live in Poland but all my social media feeds this morning are filled with posts from people I don't know saying that Poland is a safe country because it refuses to accept Muslim immigrants. If Tusk wins, he'll obey his globalist masters and will open the flood gates and "turn Poland brown".

"Poland" is even showing up as a trending topic on my Twitter feed.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Lol no he won’t, he’s literally candidating on the platform of „actually PiS let too many browns in”

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Unfortunately Poland is really racist, probably around 90% of voters support pushbacks at the Belarus border, thats a purely cynical play by Tusk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My understanding is that the unfortunate reality is that thanks to PiS, as well as obvious external factors, the choice is slowly becoming between also getting all Ukrainians and Belarusians out and not doing that, rather than anything to do with the less Slavic refugees and immigrants. It's really hosed.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think that would be PJJ fringe brigade stance. Rest understands that Ukrainians and to lesser degree Belarussians and Russians are what stands between now and total economic collapse..

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Election day in Poland. I voted and the observer woman from KOD gave me a sly wink when I refused to participate in the referendum, which was slightly cursed tbh

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Seems like lines everywhere to vote.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Oh yeah, it was crowded over here. Took me like 20 minutes to get in and out

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really like our tradition of "bazarek" ("marketplace"), a wink wink nudge nudge website with voting results predictions masked as "food prices", with food products representing political parties and prices representing estimated results. PiS being "pistachios", KO being "coriander" ("kolendra") and so on.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what’s the latest on the bazarek

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Froze my rear end off in the queue for 45 minutes and got the stink eye from the polling station lady when I refused the referendum ballot, totally worth it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Big turnout so far, especially in the north and west.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Why the boycott choice on the referendum?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s valid if more than half of eligible voters participate with any vote.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

OddObserver posted:

The questions are an insane provocation.

quote:

1. Do you support the liquidation sale of state property to foreign agents, leading to the loss of control over strategic sectors of the economy by Polish men and women?

2. Do you support raising the retirement age, including a return to the raised retirement age of 67 for both women and men?

3. Do you support the removal of the barrier on the border between the Republic of Poland and the Republic of Belarus?

4. Do you support the admission of thousands of illegal immigrants from the Near East and Africa in accordance with the forced relocation mechanism imposed by European bureaucracy?

Any debate on this points or attempting to agitate for a specific pattern of voting is both morally and tactically impossible. They also do not actually oblige the government to pursue any specific course of action while simultaneously being a potential source of legitimacy for various terrible things. These questions are designed solely to give government-friendly media endless hit piece sound bites and counter-programming.

For those keeping score at home, this is literally a retread of a tactic used by the literal communist party in 1946. The only exception is that you are now encouraged to vote no instead of yes, so they can accuse anyone who would vote yes as simultaneously a German agent and a Communist, probably. Boycotting is the only viable choice.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I've never saw so many people voting, most of them refusing the referendum ballot, also my 5yo son saw a picture of John Paul II hanging on the wall and yelled "yellow face*!" so it was definitely the highlight of the day.

*god, it sounds so bland in English, what's better translation of "morda"?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Szarrukin posted:

I've never saw so many people voting, most of them refusing the referendum ballot, also my 5yo son saw a picture of John Paul II hanging on the wall and yelled "yellow face*!" so it was definitely the highlight of the day.

*god, it sounds so bland in English, what's better translation of "morda"?

That's some top grade parenting.

Yellow (Yellov? to keep with the "Rzułta") mug/muzzle maybe?

In out voting point the lady spent 10 minutes and 2 phonecalls trying to find out street name on the list. It was on the other page...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Same in my downtown Warsaw komisja - never saw so many people voting, place was overrun and the staff was lost.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the xanthous visage

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So is the turnout good news, or bad news?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

Polish cities tend to vote against PiS as is, so high turnout in cities is a good thing. I imagine a lot still depends on rural voters that PiS always try to encourage to participate with anything short of just giving them money directly.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Also, the polling station needs to count the results from both the voting and referendum within 24 hours for it to be valid, so less work for them is more gooder.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Szarrukin posted:

I really like our tradition of "bazarek" ("marketplace"), a wink wink nudge nudge website with voting results predictions masked as "food prices", with food products representing political parties and prices representing estimated results. PiS being "pistachios", KO being "coriander" ("kolendra") and so on.

Might be just me, but looking at the hashtag this year, twitter seems to serve much more tweets from pistachios fans than usual.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

Good in theory. PiS has by far the most disciplined core voting base (except for maybe PSL, but I can't really say conclusively one way or another there), less responsive to turnout changes. Their vote numbers obviously change substantially, but if the only people to show up were those who always show up, PiS would win in a landslide, while if everyone voted, PiS would gain the least.

On the flipside, the party with the least disciplined voters is Konfederacja, so big turnout might mean a good result for them. (The reason why the two right-wing parties are so divergent here is that Konfederacja cannot get its libertarian loonies to shut up - in fact, it frequently fields them forward since they are often the most presentable and coherent loons in the party - about stuff like pension "reform," which sounds great to young idiots who have never worked a job in their lives and who tend not to care too much for voting, while at the same time alienating old age pensioners, who understand the value of voting, are heavily dependent on public policy, and have nothing better to do anyway.)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Bazarek predictions look really good, at this point I'm mostly afraid Slovakia scenario (good exit polls, poo poo actual vote results)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Fingers crossed for you guys.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Less than 20 minutes to go. Is it true the government is about to swing left in Poland?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Less than 20 minutes to go. Is it true the government is about to swing left in Poland?

No chance, more like "centrist/centrist-right" instead of "far right".

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Szarrukin posted:

No chance, more like "centrist/centrist-right" instead of "far right".

Yeah, more or less this, although at the very least the prospective government would stop being openly hostile to women, LGBT, immigrants and the EU, so that alone is something to hope for.

Edit: also, I struggle to imagine what kind of economic policy a KO/TD/Lewica government could possibly agree on.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Not long now. Hoping for the best, bracing for disappointment

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Apparently there are still people queuing for polling stations, because they ran out of ballots :lol:

gently caress knows what's going to happen, we might even have another election soon.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

With the two main options for post-election government being a PiS minority government supported by some or all Confederates; or a KO/TD/Lewica wide umbrella coalition, I don't see either of those being stable enough to survive the entire four years, yeah.

Edit: barring of course PiS defying the polls and getting the majority after all.

sad question
May 30, 2020

gently caress me. It might be happening

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
It seems that PiS age is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Sadly a weak result for the Left, but gently caress it, if the exit polls are correct, no more PiS. God.