Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

x-post from painting thread, continue to be very happy with "Raptor" parts on Legionary bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Nazzadan posted:

x-post from painting thread, continue to be very happy with "Raptor" parts on Legionary bodies

Looks good. Very Night Lords.

I remember ages ago seeing someone did a kitbash of Kayvaan Shrike where they replaced his legs with the ones from the leaping Reiver Lieutenant. I can’t find the picture anyone. Anyone have a link?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stephenls posted:

But I'll admit that if they'd put out a kit that looked less like a better version of this and more like this or this, I'd be happier.

Imhotek the Stormlord: Yes, he's pretty dull, and does look like a generic Overlord mini only identifiable as Imhotek if you're into the lore; it's not nearly as impressive a glow-up as, say, Szeras, and kind of isn't even as impressive a glow-up as the new generic Overlord sculpt from Indomitus.

Stilt Guy: Pleasantly doofy but likely impossible to transport.

I got all of those today (minus a vanguard vet refresh and any way for me to put my Raven Guard in Lightning Claws like God intended)

See, those examples strike me as the sort of thing Phobos marines should be. Say what you want about the tacticool goofiness, at least it's an aesthetic! If you give the infiltration squad gimmick to Phobos dudes, then what scouts have left are the fact that they're inexperienced bravos who haven't earned proper armor yet, and very likely to die before they do. The very first scout models, from a Space Hulk expansion, definitely did have that vibe (in part because they were a comedy hard mode for Space Hulk).

IMHOTEP just feels lacking in personality. He doesn't have to be as over-the-top as Szeras, but if he's the guy with the giant claw, why isn't he doing something more interesting than a two-finger salute? Why is he doing a two-finger salute anyway? Why does he look exactly like the overlord on the cover of the codex (who looks more interesting than he does, lol)? If it's supposed to be a beckoning gesture, I don't think it lands, just like it didn't really land on the original mini. Oh well.

Stilt Priest should probably be fine, I think. Admech players already have their giant walkers and cavalry and batwing flying guys, so I think most players have figured out how to haul them around at this point. Hopefully.

The Bee posted:

I kinda like that 10th hasn't had as much new model creep, especially on factions that are already broadly okay. We already have a ton of datasheets on a lot of the big ticket factions, so giving them newer sculpts for any lingering resin seems more worthwhile than going all in on brand new units.

Man, there's so little resin left. A bunch of epic heroes, a lot of Eldar and Deldar, a handful of Orks, some Kroot and other Tau crap, Noise Marines kinda, a handful of non-codex Marines, and I wanna say like one non-unique demon character?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AndyElusive posted:

Are Warp Spiders any good? Like would anyone actually play with them if they get plastics?

I think I've seen them in GT winning lists and stuff. But aside from anything Warp Spiders are cool.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

See, those examples strike me as the sort of thing Phobos marines should be. Say what you want about the tacticool goofiness, at least it's an aesthetic! If you give the infiltration squad gimmick to Phobos dudes, then what scouts have left are the fact that they're inexperienced bravos who haven't earned proper armor yet, and very likely to die before they do. The very first scout models, from a Space Hulk expansion, definitely did have that vibe (in part because they were a comedy hard mode for Space Hulk).

IMHOTEP just feels lacking in personality. He doesn't have to be as over-the-top as Szeras, but if he's the guy with the giant claw, why isn't he doing something more interesting than a two-finger salute? Why is he doing a two-finger salute anyway? Why does he look exactly like the overlord on the cover of the codex (who looks more interesting than he does, lol)? If it's supposed to be a beckoning gesture, I don't think it lands, just like it didn't really land on the original mini. Oh well.

Stilt Priest should probably be fine, I think. Admech players already have their giant walkers and cavalry and batwing flying guys, so I think most players have figured out how to haul them around at this point. Hopefully.

Man, there's so little resin left. A bunch of epic heroes, a lot of Eldar and Deldar, a handful of Orks, some Kroot and other Tau crap, Noise Marines kinda, a handful of non-codex Marines, and I wanna say like one non-unique demon character?
Almost every named Necrons character is resin, along with two of the C'Tan so I'd definitely like to see those replaced.

I like Imhotek. Maybe I'm weird, I don't know. I also like the Scouts, though I wish they looked more newbish.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Failson posted:

Thank you! Not sure why I bought it. It was probably 10 years ago, and knowing me, the only rational was "cheap on ebay"

Man I would paint the heck out of that silly sculpt- probably as a IF, though.

I am heavily considering buying a Stiltman even though I don’t play AM, if I can find one cheap on ebay

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

AndyElusive posted:

Pre Ordered myself a Rogue Trader reprint but sad that I was too late to the party or anywhere close to getting a Dark Coil box.

Are Warp Spiders any good? Like would anyone actually play with them if they get plastics?

From what I understand, they're a meta staple because they're hilariously high moving while also being solid firepower (thanks to Devastating Torrent combo), so they can just jump into your backline and there's really not much you can do about it. So they can move 24" with really no downsides (except no charge) and then do actions and things.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wargame Exclusives has some sick Warp Spiders

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just realized I have the code from the Marine Codex to add it to the Warhammer app, is that worth doing or should I just use third party stuff? I'd maybe just go straight in there if the cool Vindicare was still around.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just realized I have the code from the Marine Codex to add it to the Warhammer app, is that worth doing or should I just use third party stuff? I'd maybe just go straight in there if the cool Vindicare was still around.

GW’s product and pricing decisions make me lean toward sell the code and go 3rd party.

-today- I am tempted to use the code for the convenience. It will keep the app fully functional (cept nids) and the app is great! But. Next year, I will not have purchased 8 more $60 books, and so the app will be so much less useful, and having used the code for an increasingly crippled app would feel silly?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Honestly, I think the greatest problem and reason that Stilt guy looks super doofy is just that he has to fit on an infantry base, it really constrains how much you can do with the leg assembly. Like... you can't make the actual actuators where it would move bigger because then it would look top-heavy, but you can't do anything with the ankle bits because they still have to fit on the base. Can't really add another leg to make a tripod... weird design choice frankly.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cease to Hope posted:

That's kinda why I like the Black Templars method of having them mixed in with initiates in the Crusader squad. It always made more sense than sending the least experienced guys on the stealthier scouting missions.

Plus since I'm modeling Celestial Lions it makes more sense to have mixed squads due to the whole almost dead chapter thing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jadebullet posted:

That's kinda why I like the Black Templars method of having them mixed in with initiates in the Crusader squad. It always made more sense than sending the least experienced guys on the stealthier scouting missions.

Yeah, same. Scouts being the newbies makes no sense unless you’re talking about actual Youth Scouts. The whole idea of Space Marines is that they are power-armored transhuman super soldiers - and the Scouts aren’t any of those things. To my mind the Phobos marines are a better fit for the Space Marines and don’t infringe on the Imperial Guard aesthetic.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think scouts look cringily lame while phobos are sleek and at least are trying to not look like if Mr. Bean was sent to Vietnam.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
At least the one thing with scouts is that it further culls the weak aspirants from the stronger ones so maybe they are only being told they are being used for scouting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The scouts are middle-aged by human standards with dedicated veteran sergeants, genetic augmentations, and do nothing but train. And their first missions will be in support of the line marines.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Phobos/reivers would look way cooler without 50 lbs of batman gizmo bullshit strapped to them

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I always figured that Scouts being essentially Space Marines in training was, like a lot of things in 40k, part of the overall aesthetic of cartoonishly over the top military chicanery. Being a Space Marine trainee involves being a chaff unit whose job is to be a cheap distraction before getting shot off the board turn 2.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think maybe scouts make more sense as like, space marine auxiliaries like the ultramar auxilia instead of as space marines in training

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OctaMurk posted:

I think maybe scouts make more sense as like, space marine auxiliaries like the ultramar auxilia instead of as space marines in training

It kind of makes sense for them to be initiates who failed to progress. People who were selected and inducted, but failed at one of the stages to being a full marine, like the implants didn't take properly but they didn't die. So they're still better than regular troops but less than marines and can't use all the cool marine armor. Rather than lumping them out they're organized into special groups to fight in support of line marines. This also makes things like having veterans and long-serving members make sense, because no one gets promoted out to Marine, you just serve as a scout until you die or hit retirement or something.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Cyouni posted:

From what I understand, they're a meta staple because they're hilariously high moving while also being solid firepower (thanks to Devastating Torrent combo), so they can just jump into your backline and there's really not much you can do about it. So they can move 24" with really no downsides (except no charge) and then do actions and things.

Warp Spiders should not be updated until this is no longer the case, purely because of how funny it is to see 90% of eldar infantry at tournaments be composed of 2nd edition models.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I like old scouts, but yeah, intermix them into groups like the Black Templars do.

Phobos armor struck me as not an armor variant you give to newbs, but a specific purpose built armor variant like mk3 armor. Frankly it should have been a Raven Guard/Corax creation that filtered through to the rest of the legions, an armor variant that trades a bit of armor value for increased movement or something, which would definitely be a valuable bit of gear to both Alpha Legion and Night Lords for example.

Heavy intercessor T = 5, M 6"
Intercessor T = 4, M 6"
Phobos T = 3, M 7"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Phobos already get extra movement. They are all Infiltrators which is way more movement than the extra 5" in a game that you propose

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It occurs to me that this conversation is touching on what is the core part of a Marine Scout - whether they are light-armored recon, or that they are untested rookies. Having Neophytes in Black Templar Crusader squads, or Blood Claws led by a Grey Hunter in Space Wolf Packs, makes a lot of sense to me. They touch on the tradition of squires following their knights into battle, or Viking youths proving themselves in battle. There’s also more modern examples of Cadet Companies, which are in the game as Cadian Whiteshields.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Eej posted:

Phobos already get extra movement. They are all Infiltrators which is way more movement than the extra 5" in a game that you propose

What's weird is I loaded up wahapedia just to look at incursors since they're wearing phobos and it didn't show 10" movement, but Infiltrators do lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ashcans posted:

It kind of makes sense for them to be initiates who failed to progress. People who were selected and inducted, but failed at one of the stages to being a full marine, like the implants didn't take properly but they didn't die. So they're still better than regular troops but less than marines and can't use all the cool marine armor. Rather than lumping them out they're organized into special groups to fight in support of line marines. This also makes things like having veterans and long-serving members make sense, because no one gets promoted out to Marine, you just serve as a scout until you die or hit retirement or something.

I like this idea. Also Scouts look way better than Phobos imo, who look like goofy Not Marines

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/15/sunday-preview-explore-the-ruins-of-jardlan/

There's another batch of Made to Order Marines coming up next weekend, Space Wolves and Inqusitor.

Beyond that it's Necromunda time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

I like this idea. Also Scouts look way better than Phobos imo, who look like goofy Not Marines

Nuh-uh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Demilich posted:

What's weird is I loaded up wahapedia just to look at incursors since they're wearing phobos and it didn't show 10" movement, but Infiltrators do lol

Just checking the Index:

Incursors get a 6" Scout move and Infiltrators have Infiltrate, both of which are better than +1" move!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah I was simply looking at movement and not including an rear end load of ancillary rules attached.

There's a reason I don't like playing 40k lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Demilich posted:

Yeah I was simply looking at movement and not including an rear end load of ancillary rules attached.

There's a reason I don't like playing 40k lol

Idk, that's what 10th edition is for, putting as many rules on the same page as possible

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

WFRPG 2E for lyfe

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Re: Warp Spiders being a current meta staple. That's awesome to read but also hilarious due to the age of the model. I remember having a squad of 2nd Edition spiders and even back then they felt OP. That GW still hasn't updated them despite them being one of the historically better Aspect Warriors is just baffling. They must still be moving resin models on the regular so they don't see a point to pull the trigger. I bet Swooping Hawks get updates before Spiders do.

Re: Admech Stiltman. He's dope AF. Fight me. Sanguis Extremis.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

coelomate posted:

When I discovered CK War Dogs had stock issues, I thought it would be relatively isolated, but it looks like tones of kits are out of stock and heavily marked up on the secondary market, across multiple factions.

Is there any trend to this? Flipping through the marine codex, I wanted to see how kits broke down, and soooo many of them are out of stock, like hellblasters and the tanks.

Do they pop back into stock now and then, or is this just hype from codex release, or..?

Things have been like this for a couple years now, honestly. They've been having pretty serious issues keeping items in stock.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

S.J. posted:

Things have been like this for a couple years now, honestly. They've been having pretty serious issues keeping items in stock.

It seems like the pandemic both increased demand and slowed down their ability to resupply places quickly. It's going to be an issue for GW eventually if it keeps going on at the rate it has

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah-huh times infinity

Also Stiltman should be able to kick the poo poo out of people. Agreed, though, that three legs might be better and a neat little homage to Mars in the War of the Worlds sense

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Improbable Lobster posted:

It seems like the pandemic both increased demand and slowed down their ability to resupply places quickly. It's going to be an issue for GW eventually if it keeps going on at the rate it has

That's certainly part of it. The other part is a shift in warehousing and some associated pains that go along with it, and just a general lack of speed in getting new production online to keep up with the increase in demand. Although there are certainly other things going on I'm not aware of.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

All that production of Leviathan makes me want to snag a box, but supply is obviously over abundant right now so I’m kind of hoping for a Black Friday special somewhere…

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

i also want a tau army and a daemons army and a carrying case and an airbrush and necrons and a land raider and some OOP army boxes and a gaming table and some ruins and a rolling tray and some measuring aides and magnets and a titan and ah gently caress this is going to be an expensive habit, isn’t it?

edit: also a baneblade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

coelomate posted:

All that production of Leviathan makes me want to snag a box, but supply is obviously over abundant right now so I’m kind of hoping for a Black Friday special somewhere…

Prices go down on amazon/FLGS after a few months when people try to clear stock, and then shoot up huge amounts after that. If you can wait and keep a look out, you’ll probably catch one for cheap

coelomate posted:

i also want a tau army and a daemons army and a carrying case and an airbrush and necrons and a land raider and some OOP army boxes and a gaming table and some ruins and a rolling tray and some measuring aides and magnets and a titan and ah gently caress this is going to be an expensive habit, isn’t it?

edit: also a baneblade

One of us! One of us!