Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, something occurs to me. In game, Hydralisks are ranged units that never attack in melee, both in SC1 and SC2.

But I think that in both SC1 and SC2 we never seem then acting as ranged units in cutscenes. Like in SC1 that science vessel cutscene they gib some marines with their big bone spur claws, rather than shooting them, and here that Hydralisk could've pelted Kerrigan with ranged spines before getting that close.

I'm pretty sure that in that SC2 cutscene, watching the video you see Kerrigan dodging a bunch of spines before shooting the hydralisk dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Xarn posted:

If we keep ignoring a mission until end game, will we then have to play without the unit unlocked? Because having Bisby play the air variant of the final mission without Vikings sounds hilarious and we should do it :v:
If Bibsy gives us the option, yes, it's possible, because of the non-linearity of the mission structure. The only requirement for the final missions is completing the Artifact/Tychus chain of missions to get to the end game (which itself requires completing ~18 total missions out of 22 so you can skip a bunch of missions). We've already completed well above the required number, so we could totally ignore Haven forever if Bisby wants to give us that choice.

The speedrun skips not just Vikings, but the entire Haven mission chain since the chain starts with an unskippable 25-minute mission (for comparison, the WR for the entire game is about 1 hr 40 minutes real-time) and the units all suck. Firebats and Hellions suck while Vikings' pure anti-air is unnecessary since as we've seen, the campaign just doesn't do much air unit spam.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
When and where did Kerrigan kill eight billion people exactly? The Overmind was calling the shots for Starcraft, and it seems the UED would have been the ones causing most of the havoc in Brood War.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Xarn posted:

If we keep ignoring a mission until end game, will we then have to play without the unit unlocked? Because having Bisby play the air variant of the final mission without Vikings sounds hilarious and we should do it :v:

They would not be available, nor would their mercs. However, given the tech choices op has made I believe the air variant of that mission would involve very little air to air even if we do go there with vikings.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

When and where did Kerrigan kill eight billion people exactly? The Overmind was calling the shots for Starcraft, and it seems the UED would have been the ones causing most of the havoc in Brood War.

Earlier this campaign. It opened up with the Zerg (now under her command) launching a large-scale attack on the Dominion with casualties in the billions.

We just haven't seen any of it because it's happening on Haven

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wraiths aren't particularly great but they're serviceable anti-air if we need something for the role. Vikings are nice but they're not necessary.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

Wraiths aren't particularly great but they're serviceable anti-air if we need something for the role. Vikings are nice but they're not necessary.

The thing is that they're at the bottom of a decently long list of aa units. Like on this coming mission where I needed units to protect my banshees from a2a fighters, I initially tried wraiths because it makes a lot of sense on paper to have your aa in the air on that mission and they can both cloak together! By the end of the mission I gave that up and dumped all my gas into banshees and just covered the air with a wall of mineral dump marines

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

BisbyWorl posted:

It comes up in Liberty's Crusade. Back on Mar Sara he had a wife and kid, kid had psi potential, had a 'training accident' while being trained as a Ghost, and the wife died of despair after being told.

Wait a tic. Is this a motherflipping JoJo Babylon Five reference?
I hadn't watched that show yet 13 years ago

MagusofStars posted:

If Bibsy gives us the option, yes, it's possible, because of the non-linearity of the mission structure. The only requirement for the final missions is completing the Artifact/Tychus chain of missions to get to the end game (which itself requires completing ~18 total missions out of 22 so you can skip a bunch of missions).

Narratively this is very strange because that is absolutely not the expectation Actiblizz had set up with the trailers (kick this revolution into overdrive!). There's a major disconnect between advertising and what you get. Ultimately the actual anti-Dominion revolution doesn't matter to the plot SC2 rolls with.

I'm reminded of RWBY, actually. The producers of that show got Cortana's VA to do an opening narration about a universe-specific magic-related unobtainium substance for that show which... ultimately didn't matter? At all. Like, I think in six seasons it just never became important to anything going on. But they left that opening in because it's Jen Taylor and they already paid her fee.

Kith's commentary on the scrapped original plot both reinforces to me how "thrown together as best they could after the fact" WoL's shipped plot is, and how unlikely it feels to me that anybody had actually worked out HotS and LotV beforehand. Wings doesn't really set up much at all for the later games until the very final cutscene.

bladededge fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 15, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh man RWBYs wasted potential almost puts SC2 to shame, and in a lot of similar ways too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: The bit about Raynor's son occurred after everything that happened during his military time in the Heavens' Devils, and subsequent time spent as an outlaw with Tychus. He ended up with a wife and kid during the time he accepted a position as Marshall on Mar Sara. The Magistrate (who would be REPLACED by the player character of Episode 1 of the first Starcraft) asked Raynor to become a Marshall in exchange for erasing his army record.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how old is Jimmy supposed to BE?!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

The UED was... fairly innocuous comparatively. The UED campaign is all about establishing a foothold in the sector and gaining control over the swarm. It's been like 20 years so forgive me, but I believe this irritates Kerrigan in a "they are in my way" manner as opposed to TFT Arthas being personally slapped by Ner'zhul being drained. So she orchistrates a plot to remove the UED from the picture by manipulating Raynor, Mengsk, Duke, Fenix, and I think Artanis was there too? That ends with her betraying all of them once the swarm is under her control and gaining that 'Queen Bitch of the Universe' title. At the very least she ate the vast majority of the UED expeditionary force. One of the last cutscenes shows DeGalle beating a hasty retreat as the swarm overtakes them.

I need to play classic SC again one of these days. The remaster doesn't look like it's worth the buy-in though (giving money to Blizzard aside), and I lost my install media from the battle chest decades ago.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I need to play classic SC again one of these days. The remaster doesn't look like it's worth the buy-in though (giving money to Blizzard aside), and I lost my install media from the battle chest decades ago.
Starcraft Remastered is actually good and worth playing instead of Starcraft Original.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Educational Games posted:

Oh man RWBYs wasted potential almost puts SC2 to shame, and in a lot of similar ways too.

RWBY at least has the excuse that the man with the original vision died tragically pretty drat early on in its genesis and the surviving staff were left to try and pick it up pretty much on the fly. I'd be more surprised if it hadn't flown into six different directions. SC2 still had access to effectively the entire original staff, but it clearly got bogged down in a bunch of different ideas and Business Management.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Aces High posted:

how old is Jimmy supposed to BE?!

James Eugene Raynor is a whopping 34 years old.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
All the ages are terrible though right? Nova is supposedly 19 years old in Starcraft 2 and she's already an experienced government assassin and seems to be ranked relatively senior in the Ghost organization.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Correct!

A surprising number of people on the Hyperion don't even get that. The only ages I can find from a quick glance at the wiki is just... Tychus at 40 years old.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gohuskies posted:

All the ages are terrible though right? Nova is supposedly 19 years old in Starcraft 2 and she's already an experienced government assassin and seems to be ranked relatively senior in the Ghost organization.

confirmed: Starcraft is a JRPG

Zeratul is 34

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 15, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Zeratul is 34

What the fu-

I figured the protoss would have typical space elf ages. Or are you just memeing?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Warmachine posted:

What the fu-

I figured the protoss would have typical space elf ages. Or are you just memeing?

That's just jokes, Zeratul is thousands of years old.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Warmachine posted:

What the fu-

Nah that's memeing. Zeratul is a touch over 600.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

maybe he just looks 34

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Hwurmp posted:

maybe he just looks 34

Keep in mind that 10-12 years worth of time apparently passed in the only 4 years since the end of BW, which means we have some timey wimey dilation going on that you need to include in these calculations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, I was a few moments from having a minor crisis over space elf ages.

How old were Duke and Mengsk?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

54 and 44, respectively.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have it on good authority that Zeratul is a 9,000 year old dragon in the body of a 40 year old virgin space elf

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

BisbyWorl posted:

Nah that's memeing. Zeratul is a touch over 600.

Considering his speech to the Conclave on Aiur, he seems to be a LOT older than 600
" You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Guy Fawkes posted:

Considering his speech to the Conclave on Aiur, he seems to be a LOT older than 600
" You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

He also talks about having served the Matriarch for many Millenia.

The short answer is the writers weren't properly communicating when it came to the timetable of the Protoss and Zerg lore and ages and backstory and stuff; dialogue in-game contradict the actual timetables presented in the manual, and future lore sticks closer to the manual's timetable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given SC2 timescale the overmind was probably created shortly after Jimmy was born.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

We get a pretty specific age for Fenix in Brood War, where he states exactly how much older he is than Raynor (and how that does not make him "old", thank you very much).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hwurmp posted:

Zeratul is 34

jesus christ, I was joking in the Warcraft LP thread that Illidan absolutely was anime as gently caress, but this stupid poo poo just seals it. In what universe is Nova only supposed to be 19? Grey Delisle sure doesn't voice her as such so they must not have told her

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gohuskies posted:

Nova is supposedly 19 years old

she what

are you loving kidding me

:pwn:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i would ask if any of the blizzard developers have ever seen a woman before but the evidence is pointing towards the question not being worth asking at this point

e: reply is not edit, apologies

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Wait, wait wait wait... weren't Tosh and Nova a couple at some point? Tosh certainly doesn't look to be around the same age as Nova so was he creeping on a teenager back then?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aces High posted:

Grey Delisle sure doesn't voice her as such so they must not have told her

I don't think they told the writers, either.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Falconer posted:

Wait, wait wait wait... weren't Tosh and Nova a couple at some point? Tosh certainly doesn't look to be around the same age as Nova so was he creeping on a teenager back then?

Blizzard, famous for being able to handle anything to do with women in a mature and nuanced manner.

:rubby:

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

Kith posted:

she what

are you loving kidding me

:pwn:

Who let Randy Pitchford into the writers' room.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Falconer posted:

Yep! The wiki doesn't state when he was born, only when he (might have) died, but he was conscripted into the Terran Confederacy in 2483. I haven't read Tosh's book, so I don't know how long that was after he was born, but simple math DOES show us this:

Tosh might have been conscripted as a child due to his psychic powers, which can happen as early as 6 and as late as 18, so Gabriel Tosh is anywhere from 27 to 39 by the time of Wings of Liberty. The events of when he and Nova were on Team Blue together happened 3 years prior in 2501, so Tosh was anywhere from 24 to 35 when this happened:

Nova, on the other hand, was 16.

Y'all, I don't think I like Tosh anymore.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

Nova, on the other hand, was 16.

Y'all, I don't think I like Tosh anymore.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm don't like that.

Hey everyone! Time for two simultaneous polls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i'm willing to cut tosh some slack because it looks like he's a teenager/young adult along with nova in the comics and nova looks like a grown-rear end woman in SC2. it's loving blizzard, the left hand never knows what the right is doing because they're all a bunch of dumb-rear end partyboys who think they're the ROCKSTARS OF VIDEOGAMES and consistency is for losers, stop being a nerd we're doing coke in the bathroom and stealing breast milk

like if the entirety of the series was consciously written like some kind of piers anthony poo poo then sure i'd be more willing to burn it all down but this is very likely a bunch of drunk or coked out nerds just saying poo poo that sounds cool to them without considering any kind of greater impact, much like everything else they've ever done

also raynor does not and can not know any of this, and neither would have we if we didn't happen to have all of this meta-knowledge at our disposal to compare notes on and retch at