Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HazCat posted:

I've been playing Mario Sunshine and Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection, using a pair of Nyxi Wizard joycons (that I modded to have OEM GC sticks and buttons :cool:) and I'm having a blast. I never got past Galaxy's tutorial on the Wii, but I'm loving it on the Switch. Hopefully by the time I finish it, Galaxy 2 will be available for to move onto :v:

I really hope the Switch 2 keeps backwards compatibility with joycons as well as games so I can continue playing with these ridiculous GC joycons. With some pretty minor modding they're basically perfect apart from the digital triggers.

Why are people so weird about the GC controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Len posted:

it's the best controller ever made, op

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I want to get excited for Mario Wonder but it’ll at the end of the day only be another 2D Mario game and we had a whoooooole bunch of those in the 2010s AND Mario Maker.

The only way this’ll get me excited is if they really deviate from the modern 2D Mario level design formula of “introduce new gimmick -> ramp up difficulty of gimmick -> subvert the gimmick” and make it more like Mario World where they were just vibing and playing around with the really cool 2d game engine they created.

Otherwise eh, it’ll at least still be fun.

This is exactly how I feel. "Ooh, new Mario game... Looks like it plays a bit differently than NSMB, which I'm more than over with." Like, gently caress, I don't even make NSMB-themed levels in Mario Maker 2 because of that style. I think I might hate it. :ohdear:

I'm hoping I'll feel better towards Wonder.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Why are you being so weird about people being so weird about the GC controller

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Elephant Mario fucks

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
GC controller is fun to hold

but also 22 years of smash bros muscle memory

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

Why are you being so weird about people being so weird about the GC controller

why are you being so weird about people being so weird about people being so weird about the GC controller

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally gotten around to playing Rain Code and this sure is a game by the Danganronpa creator.

I'm loving this poo poo. :allears: I wasn't quite sure what the Mystery Labyrinth was gonna quite be like going in, I figured it might be more dungeon crawl-y/RPG-y, but instead it's just a delightfully nonsensical train of thought working out whodunnit. I've just completed Chapter 1, and I did not expect the Prologue to go as it did.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just heard a pretty major spoiler for Mario Wonder.

MARIOS GONE WOKE!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are there any good fishing games for the Switch? After so many years of playing Zeldas and RPGs with Fishing mini-games I think I'll cut out the middleman and try the actual fishing part

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

MARIOS GONE WOKE!

Every Mario game is woke.

Except Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MARIOS GONE WOKE!

I heard Mario tells you to treat other people with respect and I don't want my children hearing that kind of message.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
They took away Mario's gun !

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MARIOS GONE WOKE!

This is what happens when they start letting Waluigi be in these games! I know he's not in Wonder. Not anymore. But removing him that late into development wasn't enough! :negative:

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

We need a 3d all stars volume 2 that has 64 ds, galaxy 2, and 3d land. I'd pay another 60 for it!

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Every Mario game is woke.

Except Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

SMB2 is a prequel. Story of how Mario got woke.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

cant wait for the new mario game

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I heard Mario tells you to treat other people with respect and I don't want my children hearing that kind of message.
This smacks of gender.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ok just got off the phone with Miyamoto, turns out the "turn flowers voice off" option is a mistranslation. If you toggle it, it actually makes the flowers louder and permanent in all games. So say when you play metroid prime 4 on Switch 2, the local foliage will pipe up with stuff like "I bet you can get up there!" or "You'd really share your water with me??"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those that got the chance to play Wonder early how annoying/intrusive are the flowers actually?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ok just got off the phone with Miyamoto, turns out the "turn flowers voice off" option is a mistranslation. If you toggle it, it actually makes the flowers louder and permanent in all games. So say when you play metroid prime 4 on Switch 2, the local foliage will pipe up with stuff like "I bet you can get up there!" or "You'd really share your water with me??"

Now I want it even more

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

YggiDee posted:

Are there any good fishing games for the Switch? After so many years of playing Zeldas and RPGs with Fishing mini-games I think I'll cut out the middleman and try the actual fishing part

The two I know of are Fishing Paradisio and Dredge. The former is a retro-styled thing, while the latter is horror.

I have yet to play either...be my guinea pig! :colbert:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I was just thinking “man, it sucks I signed up for a (compulsory) shadowing shift at work on Friday instead of scheduling myself in the field so I can’t go pick up Mario wonder at 10am” but then I looked at the best buy site and I apparently ordered it to be delivered. Which because they use ups means it won’t get here until like 3:30 but that’s better than having to drive to Best Buy and get it at 5:30 while the kids fight over it. I kind of wish they didn’t know about it until a week after it comes out.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Larryb posted:

So for those that got the chance to play Wonder early how annoying/intrusive are the flowers actually?

Like not at all, they don't stop you to talk or anything. They just sound weird.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dredge sounds interesting but the actual fishing part doesn't seem very involved.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

How did I not know about dredge?
Imma go smash the buy button on that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Like not at all, they don't stop you to talk or anything. They just sound weird.

Good to hear, I’ll probably just leave them on then

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

they're super not a big deal and a lot of the time i dont' even notice them because i'm too busy missing a jump

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

YggiDee posted:

Dredge sounds interesting but the actual fishing part doesn't seem very involved.

Dredge was a good time but I'm glad i snagged it from the library and didn't buy it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

The two I know of are Fishing Paradisio and Dredge. The former is a retro-styled thing, while the latter is horror.

I have yet to play either...be my guinea pig! :colbert:
Dredge is great, and has a passive mode now, so you can get the monsters to ignore you, if you just want to fish, and not bother with the horror stuff.
Loading up my crab pots to go set a string, dragging a trawl net around, while I explore for spots to jig up an eldritch horror from the abyss!
A+
True the Fishing part isn't very involved.
It's more open world adventure / exploration with a boat that also has Fishing in it.

Why does autocorrect capitalize Fishing?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 15, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Len posted:

Dredge was a good time but I'm glad i snagged it from the library and didn't buy it

Where are all these libraries that have Switch games? I’m basically in Miami and none of mine have any :(

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My local library has one. (Springfield, Oregon)
A cursory search shows 339 games in the library's holdings.

Edit: Of course, 90+% of them are checked out and will probably never be returned.
Edit: Corrected the number.

otter fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 15, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Weird.
I’m going to do some digging.
How long do you get to “check them out” for or whatever?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I think its 2-3 weeks per.
Our library has always been kind of ahead of the curve. They have games back to OG Xbox to lend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eightysixed posted:

Weird.
I’m going to do some digging.
How long do you get to “check them out” for or whatever?

Depends on how new the game is. A new release like Remnant 2 was one week no renewals but dredge I would have been able to renew 4 times

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Wonder will be only slightly different than NSMB" my brother in christ they are giving you a grappling hook in this one

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vancouver Island regional library has a shared catalogue across branches, and we can request any book or media for borrowing at our local.
Video games and dvds/cds, etc are a week. You can renew online up to 3 times consecutively, provided nobody has put a hold request in the system.
Pretty skookum, as they say around here.
Oh, and you can return at any branch, no problem.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

WHY BONER NOW posted:

faraway look in your eyes as you tell tale of the console wars

nintendo's throne of competitor's consoles growing ever higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

About another 4 hours into Wonder. Those talking shrooms are barely noticeable. You'll be too busy playing the game like Princess said. And when you do notice it's just adds atmosphere

e: Also anyone in the Pittsburgh area, we have a great library network: https://acl.bibliocommons.com/