Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I was telling my friend last night about Brock having to run for his life for what, 2-3 years at Iowa State? No wonder he's better than Jimmy in extending plays and making poo poo happen. Just watching Handsome James getting sacked multiple times on MNF this week should be proof enough. Jimmy just sits there in the pocket waiting for something to happen, where as Brock would have already made 2 or 3 reads and fired it downfield or out of bounds if there's nothing out there. He's a far better QB than Handsome James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i honestly wish i had posted some of my comments i left unposted because i was going to say that the biggest issue with jimmy g besides his hesitancy and getting sacked was that most teams started keying on passes over the middle when playing against the 49ers. they would also disguise defenses where jimmy's first response was to just dump it off and let someone else deal with it. oh it looked like 1 high and they went to cover 2 shell? guess i gotta dump it off. 2-shell into robber? dump.

there were a bunch of film videos talking about how when the 49ers ran their dagger concepts with jimmy g the defenders would never respect him throwing a corner route instead. the defenders would constantly sag inwards anticipating those dig/in routes when they were suppose to be responsible for the deep half/third of the field. they'd just sit on the in routes instead because no way were the 49ers ever going to do anything else with jimmy g. the defenders would never set their shoulders/hips to run up the sideline because why worry?

edit: but to be fair, jimmy was pretty good at throwing those balls. he just didn't have much of anything else

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 13, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's also the source of Jimmy's signature interception. Defenders know which throw he's going to make in those situations, so they're guessing right more often when they make a move for the pick.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Jimmy was a perfectly cromulent QB for the Shanahan system but Purdy is almost a perfect fit because I think he processes like Shanahan would if he was a QB. His ability to throw outside the numbers and move around both inside and out of the pocket is the icing on the cake.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Jimmy was a perfectly cromulent QB for the Shanahan system but Purdy is almost a perfect fit because I think he processes like Shanahan would if he was a QB. His ability to throw outside the numbers and move around both inside and out of the pocket is the icing on the cake.

For me it's one part the anticipation and one part the (related) ability to place the ball so receivers can run after the catch. That last bit also means his receivers aren't ever getting blown up after they make the catch. They get tackled hard, but that happens 5, 10, 20 yards downfield from where they made the catch. I can't think of a single time this season that a Niner caught the ball and got smoked immediately; tackled immediately yes, but not blown up.

This feeds me, Cowboys fan reacting to the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5GBk1srbQ

I wish this guy would feed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4n1Cj7c1k

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

When the run has been established

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

When the run has been established

Yeah, that's just not fair.

:hmbol:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
.........passing stats?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Really got to question why Seattle is hanging on to Metcalf.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

he’s good (when not being a dummy)

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I love our big strong fast dumb WR1b

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Run CMC.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Failson posted:

Really got to question why Seattle is hanging on to Metcalf.

This injury is your fault.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I don't like it when the niners are having trouble, can they fix this? Thanks

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Uncharacteristic loss from the Seahawks. I was expecting the defense to be torched to poo poo all game, but they played very well after the 2nd TD by Cincinnati. I really didn't expect Geno Smith to be the main problem between taking large sacks and throwing two real bad interceptions in Bengals' territory. Would've been nice to rack up another win before the schedule gets into the meat grinder mode, but, well, I didn't expect them to compete for anything but the #7 seed if anything so I can only shrug. As long as they play entertaining football, I'll watch.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Just an incredibly bad game by Geno wow. Some really bad throws and even worse indecision sacks. I don't recall seeing him be that bad on the mental side before.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Could the 49ers maybe block anyone today?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
lol not a foul!!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
49ers offensive line could not do poo poo against this Browns D line and Kyle was just making stupid loving cute calls.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shindragon posted:

49ers offensive line could not do poo poo against this Browns D line and Kyle was just making stupid loving cute calls.

Yeah their D-line dominated all game

That personal foul and that PI though, oof

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm calling it. Lost season. The world's ending.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don't want to see another draw play again this seaosn

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That was a Purdy bad game by the Niners

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Omfg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Welp :lol:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
And that's why you pay Gould instead of drafting a rookie.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

watching on foxsports online and it cut and reset my video player right before the snap and refreshed right as everyone in cleveland celebrated. lmao thanks foxsports.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Whew, got that unbeaten streak out of the way

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And this is why you never ever loving try to win by an FG. EVER

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

watching on foxsports online and it cut and reset my video player right before the snap and refreshed right as everyone in cleveland celebrated. lmao thanks foxsports.

He straight up shanked it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shindragon posted:

And this is why you never ever loving try to win by an FG. EVER

:hmmyes:

I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed. Also mad at the refs for that bullshit 4th and 10 call, but mostly just disappointed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
drat, that one sucked. Lots of really terrible ref bullshit, Moody misses two kicks, but the whole offense played terribly. Hopefully a good lesson for them

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah just an all around terrible day for the offense, and obviously Moody gets a big portion of blame. Defense played well considering how long they were on the field.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

He straight up shanked it
yeah they showed the replay just seems like he didn't get it to hook

Play posted:

drat, that one sucked. Lots of really terrible ref bullshit, Moody misses two kicks, but the whole offense played terribly. Hopefully a good lesson for them

yeah just bad calls all around. gonna have to say shanahan really shanahaned there by giving the browns plenty of time to get that last field goal though. 3 straight passes to eat up zero clock.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Awful game all around with an awful ending.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah they showed the replay just seems like he didn't get it to hook

yeah just bad calls all around. gonna have to say shanahan really shanahaned there by giving the browns plenty of time to get that last field goal though. 3 straight passes to eat up zero clock.

He was the OC when Altlanta was up 28-3 right? Cuz if so felt very goddamn similar why he was starting to act stupid.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Ugh

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shindragon posted:

He was the OC when Altlanta was up 28-3 right? Cuz if so felt very goddamn similar why he was starting to act stupid.

yes.

apparently jim scwhartz has shanahan's number though. i just saw some stat where he's 9-1 against him

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strong Sauce posted:

yes.

apparently jim scwhartz has shanahan's number though. i just saw some stat where he's 9-1 against him

He finally got revenge for that Lions-Niners game he lost to Harbaugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
oh my god I was wondering why I remembered his name but forgot who he was.