Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
lloyd Reverie Ch3 End
man, love McBurn, can't wait for him to be a good guy finally and join your side and help. He seems like a really softie underneath. Even if this one was a fake. It was neat how he admired lloyd just being a regular human but still able to fight on even grounds. And finally Lloyd's chosen one, Noel is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

kinda nice encountering random people from Zero/Trails in early Cold Steel lol

this NPC didnt even have an exclusive model in that game I'm pretty sure!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reverie finally made it possible to build a decent defense tank again

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

frajaq posted:

kinda nice encountering random people from Zero/Trails in early Cold Steel lol

this NPC didnt even have an exclusive model in that game I'm pretty sure!

Stuff like this across the series is always fun.
This man specifically is rude later though.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This NPC shows up in Daybreak who I remember from the Calvard Embassy in Heimdallr.

Probably a lot of others I didn't immediately notice. There was this one couple from Liberl, and I wonder if they were NPCs in the Sky games.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Rean Reverie ch3 done
game certainly knows how to finish chapters on a strong note.
man, was wishing Valimar to show up again. Kind of weird seeing that Rean's summon ability worked on some random regular mech

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reverie finale

Zeit: I know nothing of this human game but it might be fun to try! :shobon:
also Zeit: has all the strongest cards & a master card that can destroy your entire field :shittydog:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Rean Reverie ch3 done
game certainly knows how to finish chapters on a strong note.
man, was wishing Valimar to show up again. Kind of weird seeing that Rean's summon ability worked on some random regular mech

There is a daydream/game that explains the origin of the mech and why it's partially related to Valimar, albeit with a lot of plot contrivance that I personally don't mind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I drat near had a heart attack when I saw that corridor bosses can drop shards of unique accessories for every. single. party. member

luckily none of them are very good

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 13, 2023

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

aren't the upgraded character accessories really good?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
They're character-specific, but they mostly all do the same thing: boost that character's primary offensive stat (str for physical attackers and ats for magically-focussed characters) while also giving that character a ludicrous amount of CP each turn. How good that is depends on how CP-hungry that character is and how well their other options cover CP-generation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hwurmp posted:

I drat near had a heart attack when I saw that corridor bosses can drop shards of unique accessories for every. single. party. member

They're actually all insanely good

once you craft three of them and combine them into the super accessory

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just get the super accessory for your dream team and let the other characters fight wearing nothing but a barrel.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tesseraction posted:

Just get the super accessory for your dream team and let the other characters fight wearing nothing but a barrel.

You can't fight in a barrel. The drawback of being barrelled is that you can't take offensive actions or use magic. This balances with the power of being rendered temporarily invincible.

It's possible I'm thinking of a different game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

They're actually all insanely good

once you craft three of them and combine them into the super accessory

goddamnit

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
No one really wants those accessories, though, not for anything but the speed. If you just have one really CP hungry character (like Rean) then they can get Woden because it's the one good damage MQ with CP Regen, and that's enough, especially with mages lapping others in the turn order. And if you don't need the Regen it's just a good generalist accessory.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
with so man characters, kind of sucks that I don't really look at the weapons list that much, I just remember and its like oh i can upgrade it for about 80+ power on the current characters.

feels different when I actually felt like naturally upgrading the weapons like in Azure/Zero in stopping by the weapon/mod shop.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ngl I'm looking forward to the point where levelups stop happening

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
nah, i wanna be an old man in the future and playing lv999 Rean

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

nah, i wanna be an old man in the future and playing lv999 Rean

Sadly he will still be weaker than a random monster and need to be saved by a passing fisherman

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

masked villains conquering Crossbell for the 458th time this week

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cold Steel to Reverie spoilers: Since I got the Valimar kit and started working on it I’ve been thinking what Gundams and Mobile Suits Rean , Crow, and the other Awakeners would pilot. And then what Rufus would pilot as C

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

when will we learn more about Zemuria's true hero, the inventor of the Battle Scope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Cold Steel to Reverie spoilers: Since I got the Valimar kit and started working on it I’ve been thinking what Gundams and Mobile Suits Rean , Crow, and the other Awakeners would pilot. And then what Rufus would pilot as C

They would all pilot Knightmare Frames.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

very grateful for the chance to clown on Campanella and not let him get a single turn in Trial Door 9

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

boy its very early in CS2 and I'm already overwhelmed with party member choices, Gaius has easy 200 CP with preparation, Claire has that ridiculous buff, Alisa gives everyone Evasion and CP regen...

tempted to not use Elliot and just use Alisa as Caster/Healing/Buff duty

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm in Chapter 4 of Ys IX now and the main story hasn't improved much, but much like Ys VIII there's a B-plot that's more compelling than the main story. Just like the sections in VIII where you flash back and play as Dana before she joined the party, there are flash-sideways sections where you play as a different Adol who is still imprisoned. Which one is the real Adol? Neither? Somehow both? I'm definitely more interested in the answer to that question than I am in anything involving the Monstrums.

As with Nayuta, I wish they'd put more effort into making traversal powers feel good, especially since the game is very traversal focused for a Ys. I also feel like it's harder to time flash blocks/dodges than it was in 4/7/8, but maybe that's just me getting old.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

frajaq posted:

boy its very early in CS2 and I'm already overwhelmed with party member choices, Gaius has easy 200 CP with preparation, Claire has that ridiculous buff, Alisa gives everyone Evasion and CP regen...

Don't worry, it gets worse!

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Daybreak story structure spoilers:
Me, a fool: The chapter named Finale already gave me a nighttime stroll and now I've finished the patrol of the entire city during the day. I might be able to finish the game today!
Daybreak, reminding me it's a Trails game: You've had one Finale, yes. But what about Second Finale? How would you like to rebuild your whole team one by one before even getting to set foot in the final dungeon?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

later corridor bosses drop 2 and then 3 shards so it's not tough to have a few by the end, even the basic version is good for fighters(+5sp/turn on top of often a big speed boost and decent atk boost is crazy). the super version is overkill but you can't make it till postgame iirc so

they also only drop from strong enemies and not the glowing strong enemies. anyway you'll inevitably get a ton but never for who you want

frajaq posted:

Elliot is unfortunately never really gonna get much better than he is now, Alisa otoh will remain extremely good forever just for Heavenly Gift and can be a good caster to boot.

e: not that elliot's awful or anything, canon is kind of cracked at high levels for being able to full heal people with anything. he's just not utterly busted like the rest of the class

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 16, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm glad Toval is finding himself but he probably doesn't need to yell "COCK" every time he casts an art

Yinlock posted:

e: not that elliot's awful or anything, canon is kind of cracked at high levels for being able to full heal people with anything. he's just not utterly busted like the rest of the class

Resounding Beat is all the healing he needs in CS2, give him Criminal so he can melt all the faces

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 16, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I take it back, saying "COCK" was better

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:allears: she had a great and brief moment with Randy back in Azure but she's great in this game so far

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, Duvalie is a great fail-girl :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Hwurmp posted:

I'm glad Toval is finding himself but he probably doesn't need to yell "COCK" every time he casts an art

Resounding Beat is all the healing he needs in CS2, give him Criminal so he can melt all the faces

I've said it before in this thread but I have an irrational hatred for Elliot and refuse to use him. Something about him just irks me.

I can't even stand looking at his dumb face. What I've discovered makes him a lot more tolerable is to shove a tomartian head on him so that I don't have to look at him. It has the added bonus of making certain cutscenes hilarious!

No one will ever convince me that he's worth using. Ever. :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JavaJesus posted:

Daybreak story structure spoilers:
Me, a fool: The chapter named Finale already gave me a nighttime stroll and now I've finished the patrol of the entire city during the day. I might be able to finish the game today!
Daybreak, reminding me it's a Trails game: You've had one Finale, yes. But what about Second Finale? How would you like to rebuild your whole team one by one before even getting to set foot in the final dungeon?

This part was actually pretty tedious. Probably one of the game's only two low points IMO.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The final battle was actually kind of tough (the first tough fight in a really long time). Near the end they were hitting my party for like 8000-9000 (at a time when my characters are 10000-11000) and actually wiped out my 4 on-field characters near the end (and I finished the fight with the remaining 4). I think they may have had some sort of stacking buffs thing going on, since the damage near the end was way higher than early on.
Man, I don't know if you were built "correctly" for this fight or if my team is built poorly or what, but with my first attempt at it ending in abject failure I think I feel fairly confident in calling this fight absolute dogshit. Just pure garbage beginning to end. Summoning three adds that each have maybe a quarter of the main boss' health total, straight-up banishing party members with no way that I could see to prevent it (unlike Weissman back in Sky who at least had the loving decency to banish marked floor tiles), a party-wide stat down attack, everything about this piece of poo poo feels like it's designed to absolutely consume all the good feelings I had about this game. I'm sure once I calm down and take another look at quartz bonuses and arts I may have ignored I'll be able to put something together to get through the fight, and I'm sure once I'm past it my anger will fade and I'll be able to continue being happy with the game as a whole, but holy poo poo in the current moment I am absolutely furious at this loving rear end in a top hat of a boss. (edit) Ugh, I just remembered the three or four hit shield he put up near the end of that attempt. Motherfucker it took me everything I had just to barely take out a third of your goddamn health, what the gently caress do you think you're protecting yourself from? Certainly not me, that's for drat sure.

JavaJesus fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 18, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have finally learned the secret of Pom Pom Party

never try to make matches, just toss the colors sort of near each other and eventually you'll luck into like a 20 chain

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JavaJesus posted:

(edit) Ugh, I just remembered the three or four hit shield he put up near the end of that attempt. Motherfucker it took me everything I had just to barely take out a third of your goddamn health, what the gently caress do you think you're protecting yourself from? Certainly not me, that's for drat sure.

He could put up a 10 hit shield and it wouldn't matter, Bergard has All Cancel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A few things I can think of with late-game Daybreak that might make the boss easier:

- I had Agnes' Arts casting with the Hollow Core that gives "more EP cost for more damage." Could probably substitute whoever you want to be your main caster. I had her doing at least around 15k.

- You want your Shard bonuses to align with whatever elemental Arts you're using the most for damage.

- You *really* want the Shard skill that follows up Arts attacks with an extra attack that Delays on your main caster. Not only is it a lot of extra damage, but it's also great for the combo multiplier.

- The Water Art that does the cyclone beam thing is another great way to build combo meter

- Grendel does downright obscene damage with his S-Craft. I actually forgot to use it during the final fight like an idiot - would have been much easier if I did.

- You should also be able to get Arts or Physical evade maxed out on a couple characters. I had someone with 96% Arts Evade + some Shard skill that countered on Arts Evades. Can't remember if I actually made use of this, though.