Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Took a look at ZZ and drat this is a big claim

It's bigger than that, Chris, it's large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Austin Walker once said (iirc) that Dan Ryckert might be interested in Armored Trooper VOTOMS. Does that mean it’s bad?

try to be normal challenge 2k23 (IMPOSSIBLE)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Votoms is a lot more First Blood pt.1 than Rambo II. I don't think Votoms is the type of show to appeal to Ryckert except on the most superficial levels. Granted it is also pretty entertaining generally even if you ignore the mysteries and themes it's exploring so he might still like it.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Synthbuttrange posted:

Going immediately into ZZ from Zeta with no context as a viewer is such a bizarre shift. Anime Ja Nai is a banger, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

That’s no anime, boy! No anime!

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is all it takes to have the song stuck in my head the rest of the weekend.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

X-Ray Pecs posted:

G-Saviour defender here, it’s really not terrible! It’s a 90s made-for-TV movie, so if you adjust your expectations to that level, it’s a cheesy fun time with some surprisingly good direction! And I really like the battle scene, the dated CGI and animation works in the favor of the movie to give the giant robots some weight.

G Saviour rocks j love how 90's utopian it can be

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh no yes, Gaogaigar is extremely bad about the flashing and it's a drat shame Sunrise didn't allow Discotek to do anything about it for their BD

No problem just get Convoy to do a psa at the start of the episode and you're all good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ojjeorago posted:

Gundam Thread 5: That's no Anime, boy! No Anime!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

War and Pieces posted:

No problem just get Convoy to do a psa at the start of the episode and you're all good

gently caress me I remember that.

As for G-Saviour it is one of the most 90s Sci-Fi channel things ever made and I kind of love it for that alone. And for AGE I like the ideas of it more than the execution. By a lot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

hmm this all tracks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know what I'd like to see? Some post-OYW show about a Federation propaganda officer putting on a musical about the Gundam and the Red Comet. And they could get some Anaheim engineers on the production team to make a mini mobile suit to give the stage show extra authenticity.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

You know what I'd like to see? Some post-OYW show about a Federation propaganda officer putting on a musical about the Gundam and the Red Comet. And they could get some Anaheim engineers on the production team to make a mini mobile suit to give the stage show extra authenticity.

yeah like spiderman

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runa posted:

yeah like spiderman

Exactly like Spiderman. A show about the fraught production of Gundamu: Tobe No Dark.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=11113

quote:

―――What do you as a director consider the “Gundam” series to be?

If I’m being blunt, it started as nothing more than a robot-themed toy promotion. But with ‘Gundam’ in the title, there’s this expectation to deliver ‘Gundam,’ you know. Personally, I’ve always adhered to the policy of not creating anything that isn’t “Gundam.”

―――What would make it “not Gundam”?

The moment it delves into politics, it ceases to be ‘Gundam.’ What was good about the original “Mobile Suit Gundam” was how at the end, Amuro says, ‘I still have a place to return to,’ and goes back to the White Base kids. Plus, Char and Amuro fought outside the context of the war, and within that, there was a moment where Char said, “Then become my comrade!” Though I did think, ‘Not now, man’ (laughs). It’s the way it concludes on a personal note that gets to me.

lmao

Unrelated:

Arc Hammer posted:

Exactly like Spiderman. A show about the fraught production of Gundamu: Tobe No Dark.

lmao as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tomino is in a superposition of telling the truth and trolling he understands great works of art are dialectic

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Tomino is in a superposition of telling the truth and trolling he understands great works of art are dialectic

This was an interview with Mitsuo Fukuda, whose credentials in this field are significantly less impressive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But that's a Fukuda interview.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I forgot to mention that

This is the SEED and Destiny guy

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There was also a recent tomino interview where he claimed that zelensky is a newtype and that putin wouldn’t have started the war in ukraine if he’d watched victory gundam, though, so I can understand the confusion

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hes right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hard to argue against that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Hard to argue against that

Especially when you realize that "Servant of the People" was a prequel to Gundam Rise from the Ashes.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Omnicrom posted:

gently caress me I remember that.

As for G-Saviour it is one of the most 90s Sci-Fi channel things ever made and I kind of love it for that alone. And for AGE I like the ideas of it more than the execution. By a lot.

I couldn't find the clip on YouTube :(

I think he would make jokes in the psa too for clipshow episodes

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Jesus loving christ I am screaming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's kind of weird to leave out the next quote that more directly explains what that means:

quote:

"―――You’re right; the main character didn’t end the war.

War narratives aren’t exactly feel-good material. I don’t mind showing discomfort to highlight the feel-good aspects, though. But looking back through history, wars have never made anything better. Yet humanity’s foolishness makes us wage them anyway. But, portraying this as entertainment can be misinterpreted as exploiting human lives and tragedies. I myself don’t want to watch such things. That’s why I substitute a child’s perspective, recasting it as familiar human drama and focusing on the children’s relationships. At the time, it dealt with issues of belonging. The war itself was merely a backbone, a background. The conclusion wasn’t the end of the war but the endpoint for the characters. That’s how I approached it. To make it “Gundam,” I prepared many stage settings for “what’s necessary.”"

This, I think, is not exactly wrong? Gundam's wars and politics exist but they are not actually the point of the series. Almost every single Gundam series is about the people being impacted by those things and how it impacts them as a person and a character. Like nothing Fukuda says here that is objectionable or wrong if you actually follow the context of what he is saying.

The original Gundam is set in a war but it is largely about the characters and their own interactions, growth and development. It followed the OYW but that wasn't what it was about and a lot of the politics and history of the series were retroactively added and in side material. It was a story about Amuro and the final battle was Amuro and Char fighting for personal reasons.

Edit:

Like, to some degree, this is true of almost every Gundam series. Gundam uses politics as backgrounds to tell personal stories and then has the more complex messy political parts addressed offscreen, in side material, or as a side note. IBO isn't the story of the politics of rare metal, the politics of rare metal are the framing for Tekkadan's personal struggles. Wing isn't about the politics of the world, it's about the character's emotional and personal journeys and the actual logic of things like "we shot our robots into the sun and now peace is forever" aren't really important.

That is Gundam. Gundam is the series about psychic children in superpowerful robots who are manipulated by everyone around them and how they deal with that. The political drama and background are the context for why those events are happening but even if a Gundam series ends with a war being resolved it is always secondary to the impact that war had on the people involved. Hell, if you want the near perfect personification of this look as G Gundam, where the politics are loving absurd but the point of the politics is for the characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 15, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Oh neat the thread name changed

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Unicorn is all about politics and that's to it's detriment

Turn A is the resolved dialectic of politics and character development

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
How strong the influence of politics in Gundam is varies from show to show, I think.

The original Gundam is extremely light on how much the politics matter to the story being told, but other shows lean into it a lot more. Zeta includes political maneuvering as a core pillar of its pilot and a serious pressure/influence on its cast members - see stuff like Kamille running headfirst into Wong Lee, the Dakar speech and everything surrounding it, or the negotiations between the AEUG/Titans/Axis as everyone tries to manipulate each other into being backstabbable. Char's entire character arc in that show is wanting to discard his political influence and live as a simple pilot, but being forced by the situation to flex his political muscles.

I don't think Fukuda's entirely statement is flatly wrong - he's right in that some of the best Gundam there is is largely uninterested in political minutiae - but I don't think "the moment it delves into politics, it isn't Gundam" is true at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wait a sec. Let the man cook. Seed and Destiny both have a lot of politics (Racism politics mostly). So is he, actually, just admitting that his own works are not gundam?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Supremezero posted:

Wait a sec. Let the man cook. Seed and Destiny both have a lot of politics (Racism politics mostly). So is he, actually, just admitting that his own works are not gundam?

Well no, it's totally Gundam because he didn't engage with the actual ramifications of having Natural and Coordinators at all, and it not being political is why the setting of the Cosmic Era is so unbelievably undercooked.

You know I started that intending it to be sarcastic, but at the end I'm not sure if it is anymore...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

How strong the influence of politics in Gundam is varies from show to show, I think.

The original Gundam is extremely light on how much the politics matter to the story being told, but other shows lean into it a lot more. Zeta includes political maneuvering as a core pillar of its pilot and a serious pressure/influence on its cast members - see stuff like Kamille running headfirst into Wong Lee, the Dakar speech and everything surrounding it, or the negotiations between the AEUG/Titans/Axis as everyone tries to manipulate each other into being backstabbable. Char's entire character arc in that show is wanting to discard his political influence and live as a simple pilot, but being forced by the situation to flex his political muscles.

I don't think Fukuda's entirely statement is flatly wrong - he's right in that some of the best Gundam there is is largely uninterested in political minutiae - but I don't think "the moment it delves into politics, it isn't Gundam" is true at all.

Even all of those things are character beats though. The politics are the context but the important part is Char deciding to give the speech.

He isn't saying the politics have no place but that the important part is the character response. Char giving his speech is an important moment for him as a character. Without it being Char it wouldn't be something the ahow focuses on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 16, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Unicorn is all about politics and that's to it's detriment

Turn A is the resolved dialectic of politics and character development

This feels like just enough of an excuse to like a spot on parody of the average UC sidestory.

(It's still deeply weird that the manga where Haman is a 30-something office worker who has weirdly good chemistry with Kamille feels more in-character than the officially released manga covering Char's time at Axis.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

Well no, it's totally Gundam because he didn't engage with the actual ramifications of having Natural and Coordinators at all, and it not being political is why the setting of the Cosmic Era is so unbelievably undercooked.

You know I started that intending it to be sarcastic, but at the end I'm not sure if it is anymore...

Fluids was so invested in the character he didn’t realize he’d created a very interesting world the viewer would want to explore in greater detail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To reframe it:

Fukuda is not saying the politics of the setting don't matter, but that the politics are not what he considers important to Gundam, it is how the characters use those politics, and how the show is designed around using the robot fights for big dramatic moments that are the climax of the story and the climax comes down to where the characters are.

Within SEED terms this makes a lot of sense with how the show is portrayed. The ending of SEED isn't dealing with the ramifications of war. It is about Athrun confronting his dad, Cagalli confronting Athrun, Kira confronting Rau and all of that. The end of the story comes when the characters reach the end point of their story because that is the important part. The same is true of Destiny where the big climax isn't the aftermath of the war but Kira and Rey confronting Durandal in the Messiah and Athrun and Shinn and Lunamaria having their conflict. That was the 'important' part of the story.

Obviously some Gundam shows handle this better than others but... I think it's fair to say that's accurate to Gundam? It will wave its hand at the politics but it won't actually go into detail on them and it doesn't assume the show-watching audience wants those details. There's obviously segments who do which is why there are huge-rear end amounts of errata that focus on trying to make that stuff make sense, but a closer comparison is something like Star Wars where "Luke redeems his father, beats the evil space wizard, and the good guys blow up the Death Star" is the climax of the story and everything else involving the world is stuff people fleshed out afterwards.

Even in, say, IBO, which I think has a somewhat higher focus on politics than most shows, the heart of the story isn't about the politics, it is about the emotional and personal journeys of the characters. You have some characters who are Very Political but we're expected to care bout that mostly for how it helps or hinders Tekkadan or one of the other major groups. Zeta has political moments but when push comes to shove the important part is how the characters respond. Wing or X or G all run to some degree on vibes where the political nature of the world is mostly there to give a framing device and the shows end with only the loosest amount of care given to what anything actually means in the long run.

If you're super deep into Gundam it's easy to lose track of that I think because there's so much fuckin' errata material that you can start discussing the plausibility of technology or the actual potential ramifications of stuff or the political and social aspects of the setting, but those are not often present in the show itself outside of some establishing lines and ideas. Hell, most of what we discuss with the OYW is not present in the show at all and is only the result of years upon years of errata. And that's fine, I eat up that poo poo, but it isn't necessarily what people approach Gundam for.

I also think this ties back kind of to some of the people who dislike Gundam having newtypes and magic and bullshit. To them that part is the 'bad part' of Gundam or at very least the part they don't care about. There's a lot of people who like Gundam and go "but it'd be better if it wasn't about psychics and there were more realistic robots without laser beams everywhere and it was more grounded and down to Earth" and like... that's fine! But logically there has to be a not-insignificant portion of Gundam fans who actually do like that stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 16, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'd say G Gundam actually has some of the best usage of Politics in the franchise since it's almost always of at least some importance but will also get out of the way when needed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd say G Gundam actually has some of the best usage of Politics in the franchise since it's almost always of at least some importance but will also get out of the way when needed

Yeah, the politics are fine, they explain why things are going on, but at the end of the day the focus of the show is on Domon having fuckin' cool emotional kung-fu fights with people and if he can ever get Kaguya to confess to him tell Rain how he feels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I guess I'm having trouble grasping the point here. "Shows focusing on characters are primarily about character interactions" is a blank nothing of a thesis because of course they are. Politics are frequently an integral part of character motivations in many Gundam shows, even in Fukuda's shows, and can't really be separated from those characters without requiring a huge rewrite.

Cagalli's arc in Destiny, while lovely, is entirely about her trying to live up to the political ideals espoused by her father, and Kira and Athrun's initial motivations in the show are supporting Cagalli in her quest. Is having a major character making a strong political statement not considered political because it's a "character beat"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Even all of those things are character beats though. The politics are the context but the important part is Char deciding to give the speech.

He isn't saying the politics have no place but that the important part is the character response. Char giving his speech is an important moment for him as a character. Without it being Char it wouldn't be something the ahow focuses on.

This is a very limp take. Of course the character response is important, because to an extent this is signaling the response the author believes to be true. One of the political concerns of first Gundam is "What about Grandpa, who did warcrimes in Manchuria and China in the early 1940s?" First Gundam's answer to that is Time Be Still and Ramba Ral. The show clearly intends the Zeon characters to be sympathetic, concluding that them being party to the war crimes totally-not-Imperial-Japan-and-the-Nazis committed was born out of either bad luck of being conscripts, or a selfless duty to a national ideal potentially several steps removed from the political reality. Which all the Zeon apologia glommed onto in the later years with the various noble lost causers.

It's irresponsible to not engage with this, which is where Fukuda is stepping in poo poo. There's two reads here: either Fukuda left out the nuance by mistake and thus looks like an idiot in an era where people are hyper tuned to the political context of the media they consume, or his statements should be taken at face value and he looks actively negligent of how character reactions to political questions in a narrative ultimately calcifies what the politics of that narrative are.

There is no such thing as apolitical art. And Gundam, as an anti-war and pro-ecological franchise, has to engage with that at some level. "But is that core to Gundam?" is answered by repeating the first sentence of my conclusion: There is no such thing as apolitical art.