Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

herculon posted:

I enjoy watching old movies upgraded to HD or 4K at home, but if I’m going to a theater it better be shown in the original format.

I think I prefer the version I had seen previously. It seemed like for this restoration they tried to clean up the voiceover from Harvey Keitel's character, and the end result sounds like a completely different guy. Also dialogue is cut off midway through the last word in a line in at least two places — not at the end of the scene or anything, just cut out in the middle of a conversation. That may have been the theatre's fault, I don't know, but typically it does a very good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - still a classic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Evil Dead 2 (1987) - still a classic

ftw. imo Army of Darkness is fun but too campy though i love the final battle, ED2 straddles the line perfectly

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

ftw. imo Army of Darkness is fun but too campy though i love the final battle, ED2 straddles the line perfectly

watching that later tonight, haven't seen it in a very long time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whole trilogy pwns top to bottom. based raimi

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren: CRITERION COLLECTION FLASH SALE UP :siren:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Whoa criterion has uncut gems

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched vertigo over the weekend. It holds up. Completely forgot about the part with midge’s painting lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

:letsgo:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

They Live

i've become a John Carpenter convert this October, and no exception here. the beginning kinda dragged and ofc the message was on the nose but seeing Rowdy Roddy kick rear end for the better part of the last hour was worth it. love the aesthetics that come with seeing through the glasses, those aliens would've given me nightmares as a kid and are still pretty unsettling now

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the fight over the glasses is goated

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

the fight over the glasses is goated

it's so good lol, feeling like it ended like three times before they start throwing hands again each time ftw

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watched horror express and it was cool made me wonder how they made the eyes glow back then, looks like contacts with lights under them but that would be blinding/hot right against the eye

crazy

not a super shitton to say, had some dry bits of humor that made me lol scattered throughout, i liked the song the baggage guy whistled that kind of became a motif throughout the movie, it was funny to think of some ape skeleton dude pursing its lips to whistle after the baggage guys song was cut short, it continued the song after he died lol because it absorbed his thoughts, didnt even put that together now how the ape knew to continue the song but thats the first clue it steals thoughts isnt it cool lol

also i noticed creepshow in the list, theres a story in it very similar to this one called the crate

also also wrong thread so im going to double post this but i guess it still works here too

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Horror movies. Lots of them

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the conversation and halloween 3. the score for the conversation is incredible and has been a bug in my ear all day today.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scream

knew the twist going in, still very good stuff. satirical but not campy and respects the material it's basing itself off while still being a good slasher flick in its own right. seeing Matthew Lillard outside of the live action Scooby-Doo movies i saw as a kid hosed me up a bit ngl. wanna watch at least one of the sequels now but i expect this was lightning in a bottle

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Fly

disgusting movie. only really gets interesting in the latter half imo but Goldblum sells it as a guy trying to remain darkly humorous in the best of a bad situation while slowly morphing into feral mania. very glad i wasn't eating anything during the finale

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

X (2022) - Sucked poo poo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

The Fly

disgusting movie. only really gets interesting in the latter half imo but Goldblum sells it as a guy trying to remain darkly humorous in the best of a bad situation while slowly morphing into feral mania. very glad i wasn't eating anything during the finale

watched this a few weeks ago, its a surprisingly human story considering the source material and how gross it is lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

X (2022) - Sucked poo poo

U should check out Pearl

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i watched a ton of horror stuff and also john wick 4 again

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

U should check out Pearl

I think that's next week

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
killers of the flower moon

absolutely great movie

de nero melts into his role

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Also saw killers of the flower moon today, it was wonderful. De Niro as this satanic grampa and leo as his murderous dimwit nephew, both fantastic, but pretty much everyone in the movie from the bit parts on up turned in unbelievable performances. idk how they all toe the line so perfectly

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Altered States

really up and down movie. the bizarre almost Holy Mountain-like hallucinations were unsettling and felt like i was being taken on the same ride as Will Hurt was, and most of the sens dep tank stuff was pretty freaky, namely him becoming blaring, intangible pure energy toward the end, some great effects with all that in the last 20 or so minutes. on the other hand, it takes some time to really get going and tries to interweave romance drama when it really shouldn't have, especially with the "love will ultimately save us" trope at the end, feels really cheesy. also the entire ape-man segment after he escapes the lab ends up just way too goofy. mixed bag but i liked it overall

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween Kills

i should've listened, but my friend told me it was bad in the funny bad kinda way and i already watched 2018 with him when i posted about it, so what the hell. such a downgrade from 2018, less Michael and more stupid mob rules "humans are the real enemy" poo poo. half the kills felt like Scary Movie clumsy oafishness and there was so much callback to 1978 to try and make ppl interested. gonna finish out tonight with Halloween Ends just to complete the trilogy but im not hopeful

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the dead zone. good, maybe a little disjointed feeling (kinda felt like more like a collection of sectioned off mini episodes of a tv show) but it's fun and the ending's pretty great

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Event Horizon. Thought the effects were appropriately hosed up, especially at the end. I had no idea this is where "we have such sights to show you" is from. Felt a little rushed maybe but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good scary movie

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween Ends

one of the worst movies i've ever watched. for as stupid as Halloween Kills was at least it centered around Michael Myers. i don't give a gently caress about some weird nerd accused of manslaughter who becomes a protege of Michael Myers. absolutely boring and godawful waste of nearly two hours. would never have watched it if a friend didnt want to complete the modern trilogy, and even he admitted it was worse than he remembered.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Lol cool

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

Halloween Ends

one of the worst movies i've ever watched. for as stupid as Halloween Kills was at least it centered around Michael Myers. i don't give a gently caress about some weird nerd accused of manslaughter who becomes a protege of Michael Myers. absolutely boring and godawful waste of nearly two hours. would never have watched it if a friend didnt want to complete the modern trilogy, and even he admitted it was worse than he remembered.

i think we're going to need to kill your friend unfortunately

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

Halloween Kills

i should've listened, but my friend told me it was bad in the funny bad kinda way and i already watched 2018 with him when i posted about it, so what the hell. such a downgrade from 2018, less Michael and more stupid mob rules "humans are the real enemy" poo poo. half the kills felt like Scary Movie clumsy oafishness and there was so much callback to 1978 to try and make ppl interested. gonna finish out tonight with Halloween Ends just to complete the trilogy but im not hopeful

symbolic posted:

Halloween Ends

lmfao poor dude

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

Halloween Kills

i loving hated this movie and halloween ends after how well halloween '18 was done.

Nostradingus posted:

Event Horizon. Thought the effects were appropriately hosed up, especially at the end. I had no idea this is where "we have such sights to show you" is from. Felt a little rushed maybe but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good scary movie

this movie rules especially if you don't know what you're getting yourself into

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

lmfao poor dude

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

This

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

you have my axe

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny - 2 hours of crummy action scenes and ok uncharted 2 level tomb puzzle solving (saw the light beams and mirrors in archimedes’ tomb and was like :pwn:). then mysteriously the last five minutes were from an entirely different and much better movie???

The prestige - this movie still owns, god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

you have my axe

ill get it back to you this weekend