Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Knock at the Cabin was very by the numbers. Good thing that all I wanted was watching Batista wear glasses and being a big cuddly murder bear, I got my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months

Besides anything Koji Shiraishi makes, there's POV: A Cursed Film, Gonjiam Haunted Asylum, and The Bridge Curse.
All three are pretty much pure Asian curse "you did the wrong thing, sorry, you die" films.
Ju-on is the same vibe without found footage. The whole series is worth watching. The first two Ju-on: The Curse movies are maybe skippable, but they're short.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months

Koji's A Record of a Sweet Murder was pretty good if you haven't seen that one.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Watching From Beyond for the first time and...I know this is news to no one but Jeffrey Combs is attractive as gently caress in this one.

Edit: Which is appropriate considering how goopy and horny it is so far. This rules

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 15, 2023

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skrillmub posted:

Ju-on is the same vibe without found footage. The whole series is worth watching. The first two Ju-on: The Curse movies are maybe skippable, but they're short.

The first two direct to video ones are great. They’re very low budget which makes them feel closer to found footage and makes it feel like you’re actually watching a weird cursed tape.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Watched Possessor last night, after rewatching Antiviral on Friday with my partner.

We both liked Antiviral better but Possessor was very interesting. I definitely expected a more like, out there plot instead of "here's how stealing someone's body, pretending to be them, then murder-suiciding your new acquaintances, will affect your psyche and dissociation from the real world!"

Jennifer Jason Leigh is also just fantastic, always.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Demons 2 rules.

Apartment complexes are an underutilized location for horror.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Watching From Beyond for the first time and...I know this is news to no one but Jeffrey Combs is attractive as gently caress in this one.

Edit: Which is appropriate considering how goopy and horny it is so far. This rules

From Beyond goes so hard. Within like 3 minutes you have Jeffrey Combs getting bitten on the face by inter-dimensional eels and it pretty much never slows down

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah that loving ruled. Posted a review in the challenge thread but man, instant classic in my eyes. Glad I finally got to it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watched VHS85, happy to say it rules:

• Good wraparound story that teases escalation and puts a nice bow on things.
  • Good use of the 80s theme, not just GOSH IT IS COOL TO HAVE A VCR, IN THIS, THE 1980S, but just actually capturing the atmosphere of 80s home movies and TV.
  • First segment was great but felt unfinished, so it delighted me when it continued into another. The only segment that was less memorable was the quake in Mexico.
  • Hella impressive gore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A Cure For Wellness is loving gorgeous, holy poo poo. Waaaay too loving long, but I liked how unabashedly wild this thing is. Gorgeous compositions, bizarre music video moments, possibly the best use of Dane Dehann in anything I've seen him in. Great cast in general, even small roles like Celia Emrie. Really loved this, despite the flaw of being so goddamn loving loooong.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Watched some classics for Halloween:

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 and 2. Gross, scary, campy, funny, great time. Bill Mosely as Chop Shop in the second film is amazing.

The Fly. This is my first time watching this film, how?? I was so pleased by how genuinely unsettling and upsetting it was. Plus Jeff Goldblum is hot.

Pulse by Kiyoshi Kurosawa which I absolutely loved. So creepy and has a really palpable lonely vibe throughout.

Then I watched some newer horror films:

We're All Going to the World's Fair which was made in 2022 and I guess is about isolation and parasocial relationships. It was kind of eerie but not really engaging.

Skinamarink, and I have no clue why I liked it as much as I did. Genuinely creeped me out.

Evil Dead Rise which I just hated and thought was so boring

Tonight I'm going to watch Talk To Me which I've heard good things about.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Watched Possessor last night, after rewatching Antiviral on Friday with my partner.

We both liked Antiviral better but Possessor was very interesting. I definitely expected a more like, out there plot instead of "here's how stealing someone's body, pretending to be them, then murder-suiciding your new acquaintances, will affect your psyche and dissociation from the real world!"

Jennifer Jason Leigh is also just fantastic, always.

You may be only the second person I've heard rank Antiviral above Possessor--however, the first person is myself. I just found Possessor a little TOO detached, even for a Cronenberg Family Joint, compared to Antiviral and Infinity Pool. I would revisit it sometime, but it felt the most clinical.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Googling this it looks like that 3D version finally got a limited release last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ufklqO0f8

I wonder if this movie's more apparent widespread availability in Region 2 is at all related to that original arrangement that resulted in the dedicated European version titled "Zombi."

I saw the 3D version last year and it’s so inessential. It was great to finally see the movie in the theater but the 3D was so clumsily integrated it was hardly worth the effort. Like, they added CGI broken glass that jumps out at you when they break into the mall. Every 3D effect is like that and I remember only like a half-dozen shots where it was used.

It pissed me off that THIS was the reason there’s no good US home media release of one of the most important horror movies of all time.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Cozy horror movies

Alien
Friday the 13th 2-4 and 6.
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
+ more idk

I find Silence of the Lambs to be as cozy as it gets. No counting the number of times I’ve fallen into blissful slumber listening to the gentle murmurs of Hannibal/Clarice conversations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The real horror is that no one has cleaned this public bathroom in ages.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I watched Saw X and that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen just a dumb plot and the plan they had was so stupid and so much wasted space in the pacing.

But there was some teenager who was OBVIOUSLY a huge fan on the same row as us and she was loving it and I'm really happy for her.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What kind of charmed life you living when that's one of the worst movies you've ever seen

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I recently saw Saw X and honestly it was a good time. It was dumb, but mostly earnest, which is the best kind of dumb. The traps made me cringe, the wild speed ramping and grading was a throwback to the early 2000s, and there were enough twists to keep me engaged between trap sequences. Not sure what more you could want from a Saw movie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

When I'm on my deathbed, clinging to life, surrounded by my loved ones, I'm going to remember I could have done literally anything else with the 1 hour and 15 minutes I spent watching Alien Psychosis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Something just occurred to me. Remember that weird week when people talked about "cozy horror" and nobody had any idea what the gently caress they were talking about and they couldn't define it and it seemed like it could turn into some kinda incredibly stupid culture war thing but then just completely ran out of steam because there was just nothing behind the "cozy horror" concept?

I think they just wanted Hammer horror. It's cozy as gently caress. Kind old men in big coats and young women in pretty dresses in well-appointed drawing rooms and rustic country inns, lots of dialogue, just a little bit of blood and gore. Hell, some of those rustic sets were drat near cottagecore.

Did those people just want Hammer horror but didn't know enough about horror to realize that's what they wanted?

What they're actually talking about are the films of Jean Rollin.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

computer angel posted:

The Fly. This is my first time watching this film, how?? I was so pleased by how genuinely unsettling and upsetting it was. Plus Jeff Goldblum is hot.

I thought he looked pretty terrible in that movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Taking a break from Lair of the White Worm to open another bottle of wine, and possibly build a fireplace so I can throw some pillows in front of it to lay down there. That's a cozy af movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What they're actually talking about are the films of Jean Rollin.

Jean Rollin was lucky to be born in the only era where you could make an entire career as a filmmaker out of nothing but vibes and vampire sex.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

What kind of charmed life you living when that's one of the worst movies you've ever seen

I think it’s healthy for film fans to occasionally watch some truly bottom of the barrel crap like Deadly Daphne’s Revenge or Terror at Blood Fart Lake just to remind them of what bad really looks like.

*credits roll on Movie 43*
Jigsaw: “Most people are so ungrateful to be watching mediocre movies, but not you. Not anymore.”

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Just so this thread is aware:

"Get a fancy new platinum icon for donations: a ghost, bat, or pumpkin! These are brand new plat icon options for the donation drive!"

Pragmatica posted:

Happy Halloween, everyone! As a guest in the The Haunted Clubhouse, I encourage all of you to treat a charity organization this October. I have some suggestions below; however, choosing a charity of your choice is also acceptable. Let's raise some money for good causes!
:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

So, this is what you need to do:

For your $13+ dollar donation, you have access to one of three very special platinum icons: a bat, a pumpkin, or a ghost.

Please reply to this thread with 1) proof of your donation and 2) which icon you would like. Remember to remove any personal or identifying information from your screenshot. You may also PM or email (pragmatica@somethingawful.com) me the proof if you are uncomfortable posting in this thread.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YES

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jean Rollin was lucky to be born in the only era where you could make an entire career as a filmmaker out of nothing but vibes and vampire sex.

Yeah, him and Jesus Franco were the prime auteurs of the legitimization of the X rating.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Oh gently caress yeah, ghost me, brothers!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

We were all lucky he was born in that era.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Origami Dali posted:

Horror is subjective going both ways. Obviously there's lovely horror movies out there like Leprechaun in Space or Jason Takes Manhattan. Everyone has their own personal shittiest horror movie even if the movie itself isn't poorly rated.

Like I think Hereditary is a boring piece of trash that tries to pull on grief heartstrings with one jump scare, no ambience, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party), and terrible dummy work that is worse than 1980's VHS backyard flicks. I'd rather watch Critters 3 a bunch of times than another Ari Aster film.

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Watched Videodrome for the first time, for the October challenge. I am shocked this isn't a gangtag yet:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, ghost me, brothers!

:hai:

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Skrillmub posted:

Besides anything Koji Shiraishi makes, there's POV: A Cursed Film, Gonjiam Haunted Asylum, and The Bridge Curse.
All three are pretty much pure Asian curse "you did the wrong thing, sorry, you die" films.

Also 444444444444 and Katasumi in the corner, short films made by the Grudge director that are sorta kinda related to the Grudge movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOVBu3MuEuU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Horror is subjective going both ways. Obviously there's lovely horror movies out there like Leprechaun in Space or Jason Takes Manhattan. Everyone has their own personal shittiest horror movie even if the movie itself isn't poorly rated.

Like I think Hereditary is a boring piece of trash that tries to pull on grief heartstrings with one jump scare, no ambience, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party), and terrible dummy work that is worse than 1980's VHS backyard flicks. I'd rather watch Critters 3 a bunch of times than another Ari Aster film.

👎

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Doltos posted:

Makes me want to hear what your favorite horror movie is. Just for context.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can we skip the preamble where Hereditary fanboys ask you what your favorite film is, assume its a slasher, and then also say you didn't understand the film

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
And I thought your football takes were bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Has anyone watched John Carpenters Suburban Screams? I love me some Carpenter but I'm iffy on the "based on a true story" angle