Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Linus is an idiot though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Phones have historically been terrible of signalling this sort of thing.
Having a big fingerprint symbol in the middle of the display to tell you to hunt for the sensor on the back/side is the most obvious one. Leading to certain people spending an embarrassing amount of time jabbing the symbol before remembering.
And I also never figured out how to best hold my phone to my mouth while phoning through pure headphones.

On the other hand if it were actually hard to find, Linus would have some grunt look for it and then bragged about finding it without help.

While I am here: Has there been any info on weather the 8a will have the temp sensor?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Linus is an idiot though

Yeah, Linus being unable to do something isn't an accurate indicator of anything. He's demonstrated a complete lack of ability to even follow explicit directions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

VictualSquid posted:

While I am here: Has there been any info on weather the 8a will have the temp sensor?

I'm just speculating but I doubt it will have one. The A series are generally cut down versions of the regular models rather than having any features exclusive to the Pro (and formerly XL) models.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm just speculating but I doubt it will have one. The A series are generally cut down versions of the regular models rather than having any features exclusive to the Pro (and formerly XL) models.

Probably. On the other hand, the only really distinct yes/no feature used to wireless charging which the A series now has. Making the A/normal/pro a more incremental difference.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What app do you need for the thermometer?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What app do you need for the thermometer?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.pixel.health&hl=en_US

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, I doubt the 9 Pro will have the thermometer too. Such an odd inclusion. I'm sure I'll use it a handful of times, but it's by no means something I must have.

Edit:

I hope the VPN improvements filter downstream to the other models. The Google One VPN is SO much better integrated. You can exempt mobile networks and specified wifi networks now so it's basically just set and forget with it automatically engaging when you aren't on a network you've exempted. You can even exempt specific apps from using the VPN in case you have one that doesn't work with VPN.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 15, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe a covid-era project that took too long to get to market? the package name being "health" indicates they had ambitions of it being for body temperature monitoring at some point

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

maybe a covid-era project that took too long to get to market? the package name being "health" indicates they had ambitions of it being for body temperature monitoring at some point

it sounds a lot like this, though I'm not sure whether the talk about lacking certification was because they weren't even trying or whether it was like that ecg function in some watches

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

bull3964 posted:

I hope the VPN improvements filter downstream to the other models. The Google One VPN is SO much better integrated. You can exempt mobile networks and specified wifi networks now so it's basically just set and forget with it automatically engaging when you aren't on a network you've exempted. You can even exempt specific apps from using the VPN in case you have one that doesn't work with VPN.

Many VPN apps let you do this, as well as some Wireguard ones. The certain network exemption isn't as common but split tunneling has been a feature in most VPN apps I've used.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but you can't do any of that with the free Google One VPN until now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 7, which is now a piece of poo poo since the 8 is out, is down to £405 on Amazon UK.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i measured my coffee temperature this morning with my pixel 8 pro. why? what's the point? gently caress you.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The bare minimum for a phone case for me is like 1/16 inch lip on the edge so if I drop it hopefully only gravel bigger than that can get the screen.

So the curved edge didn't bother me much on p7pro

Some of the edge touches were a bit frustrating from time to time though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i just go back to ye olde on screen buttons when using a case with a raised edge

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

repiv posted:

i just go back to ye olde on screen buttons when using a case with a raised edge

the settings for "back sensitivity" are named badly and are actually the settings for how wide the edge swipe activation areas are:

Setting them to medium helps, especially with a case, in my experience

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I guess it's just p8p not p8

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Messages offering to auto-delete 2FA codes after 24 hours must be new with Android 14? Honestly that kind of thing is my favorite kind of new phone feature, somebody just noticing a small, easily solvable annoyance and fixing it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Messages offering to auto-delete 2FA codes after 24 hours must be new with Android 14? Honestly that kind of thing is my favorite kind of new phone feature, somebody just noticing a small, easily solvable annoyance and fixing it.

Where's that option located?

Also, not an Android question but I'll ask anyway. A few days ago I got an Authentication prompt for my main email address, location being in China(supposedly). I refused the request and immediately changed my password to a 128 character one generated by my password manager.

I checked Have I Been Pwned and neither my email address nor my old password have shown up in any breaches. Any ideas how this could have happened?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 16, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got a pop-up asking if I wanted to turn it on when I opened Messages this afternoon -- might've been the first time since the update that I actually opened the app rather than just like replying in a notification. Pixel 6a on Fi.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I had it in 13 on my 6A.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, not an Android question but I'll ask anyway. A few days ago I got an Authentication prompt for my main email address, location being in China(supposedly). I refused the request and immediately changed my password to a 128 character one generated by my password manager.

I checked Have I Been Pwned and neither my email address nor my old password have shown up in any breaches. Any ideas how this could have happened?

Looks like it is under message settings - message organization.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on s23 and it popped up on the messages app

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

My 7 Pro did this before Android 14 - I think it’s more of a messages feature than an Android feature.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well I guess it's just p8p not p8

Only the 8 Pro has the thermometer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Some OnePlus Open material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNcAP6yV5O8

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How are folks finding the battery life on the 8?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It'll take a week or two before it adjusts to your usage, but with 120 hz on, 5g off it's probably on par with my old P5 battery when it was brand new.

Off charge at 4:30am, some messaging through the day and a bit of browsing/YT.

Hitting around 50% battery before it goes back on charge at around 9-10pm.

Base 8 I should state.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
good news, everyone! The Pixel 8 finally got a good review out of Ron Amedeo:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/10/pixel-8-pro-review-the-best-android-phone/

the only major complaint was the chip performance, which is definitely a big step behind Apple and Qualcomm. I doubt it has a significant impact on day-to-day usability though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

good news, everyone! The Pixel 8 finally got a good review out of Ron Amedeo:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/10/pixel-8-pro-review-the-best-android-phone/

the only major complaint was the chip performance, which is definitely a big step behind Apple and Qualcomm. I doubt it has a significant impact on day-to-day usability though.

Wow. Didn't expect that from him. And yeah he's a benchmark nerd so I don't think the chip performance is an issue for normies.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Weird question, seems unlikely that I'll get a satisfying answer after googling has failed me, but here it goes:

My brother died in 2021, and he left behind a Samsung Galaxy A01. I would like to get photos off of it, maybe get some contacts, that sort of thing. I don't know his passcode. It is at least 4 digits, but looks like it could be anything.

What are my options, aside from guessing numbers ad infinitum?

I am willing to pay, I think, if that is something that is an option.

Edit: Feel free to contact me via PMs if that is helpful or more appropriate. Thank you.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 17, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Chinook posted:

Weird question, seems unlikely that I'll get a satisfying answer after googling has failed me, but here it goes:

My brother died in 2021, and he left behind a Samsung Galaxy A01. I would like to get photos off of it, maybe get some contacts, that sort of thing. I don't know his passcode. It is at least 4 digits, but looks like it could be anything.

What are my options, aside from guessing numbers ad infinitum?

I am willing to pay, I think, if that is something that is an option.

Edit: Feel free to contact me via PMs if that is helpful or more appropriate. Thank you.

Your best bet is probably to try and get Google to give you access to their account.

Backed up photos, contacts, etc would hopefully be available through that route.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the battery usage just... not showing which apps used battery anymore with Android 14?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

Is the battery usage just... not showing which apps used battery anymore with Android 14?

Seems fine here, unless you meant something else

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nope, that's what I meant:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3FTo9FVKAMjKXr6x9

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Huh, well that's.. Not helpful

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Enjoyed this even though I don't think I'll move to a foldable for at least 5 years. Looks like they're making good progress, holding demo units at Best buy and feeling the crease was enough to scare me off of the last gen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm curious as to what they will give in trade for a OnePlus 11. I mean, I might as well try all the foldable things.

I'm enjoying the 8 Pro, but what it's really doing is getting me hyped for the Pixel Fold 2. I really think I'm over slabs for day to day use as I'm already starting to feel the tug to put my SIM back in the Pixel Fold.

I have two trips coming up where photo capability would be a priority, so the SIM is going to stay in the P8P through mid November, but I'll probably be switching back to the Pixel Fold around Thanksgiving (not that I'm going to fully stop using it now since it's still the ideal couch device.

I will say that even though I never really had an issue with signal on my Fold or P7P, reception does appear to be stronger on the P8P. Also, I did have a lot of Bluetooth glitches on flights last week with the Fold that were kind of annoying, but it could have also been the fault of the earbuds.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hooah posted:

You have to tap on the day and it'll give you the break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rap Game Goku posted:

You have to tap on the day and it'll give you the break down.

Ahhh, thanks. Didn't have to do that with 13.