Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Do not PM rival growth budgets to Mebh.

I got excited. I could have made a pivot chart and all...

Thanks for the codes goons.

Now I have another social network to ignore! At least this one doesn't have all my colleagues on it so I can ramble drunkenly at 3am occasionally about video games.

E: cat tax

She just noticed the speaker cable I put across the ceiling after 3 months...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/aureleos/status/1713662617300901961?t=vQDtWAzf4XayzOVfN_MQaw&s=19

Nature is healing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What they don't show is 8 minutes later an IDF airstrike levels the entire area as it was hiding Hamas leaders (the bird).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao..https://twitter.com/RachelConnoll14/status/1713615762609324199?t=ZzrhOXz74ET2TjpDC6Ci0Q&s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure the republic of ireland is devastated by the scathing review from the daily telegraph.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Worth popping over to her Wikipedia page to see how much of a walking contradiction she is in terms of her studies vs. her choice of publication.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Why is she named after a German pastry?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Heil article:

War... what is it good for? .... weapons & construction companies.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
even by torygraph opinion column standards this is a weird piece, it's like three paragraphs long and is just some disconnected thoughts about the Historical Sins of the Irish

quote:

It is not uncommon for friendly folk to come up to me, especially in pubs after a few, and ask if I’m “one of us”, by which they mean Irish. It’s my red hair, green eyes, and accent, I guess. I always laugh but say absolutely not.

Ireland might have reformed itself greatly in recent years, now self-identifying as one of the most progressive nations on earth (certainly, they think, when compared to Brexit Britain), but the truth is that the country’s politics still appear to be rotten.

Last week, the EU shocked everyone by doing the right thing: demanding the suspension of all aid to the Palestinians to avoid funding more terror against Israel. But there was immediate pushback from several countries, with the most vociferous seeming to come from Ireland. The EU was forced to backtrack.

Anyone who has seen the Republican murals in Belfast will know just how dear to the IRA terrorists was the Palestinian “cause” – specifically its civilian-targeting, bomb-happy “freedom fighting”. The links were tight indeed: the 1970s saw the Palestine Liberation Organisation sending massive arms shipments to the IRA, while IRA volunteers attended training camps in the Middle East. Ireland remained neutral during the Second World War, meanwhile, and Eamon de Valera even sent condolences on Hitler’s death in 1945 when everyone knew what had just happened.

But are the sympathies limited to the extremists? The Irish Government has been tentative in its support for Israel since the Hamas attacks, and has parroted many of the same arguments as the UN on Gaza. And so, for me, I cannot join in the general celebration of Ireland as altogether nice and reformed. Rather, its leaders should be ashamed of themselves.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Apraxin posted:

even by torygraph opinion column standards this is a weird piece, it's like three paragraphs long and is just some disconnected thoughts about the Historical Sins of the Irish

'So i've been thinking a lot about undesirables lately...'

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
As we say over here, l'ol.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've been having so much fun shitposting on twitter, and I'm mostly playing with low hanging fruit for fun... but someone decided to throw me a nice GDPR breach tonight:

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1713729124622098869

I dropped my old useless military number in an earlier tweet when someone claimed I'd never served (lol) and this stupid gammon decided to either search himself, or called in some favours, and found out that yes I did get a mobility scooter 15 years ago from the British Legion which served me during the fallow years before the DWP caught up. It was the mobility scooter I went after the Scientologists with.

I've already tagged the ICO and RBL in a followup tweet, but what's the next step for a cripple like me to chase this up properly?

e: I've also just emailed the RBL's data protection email address with the full details of the breach

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 16, 2023

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Fuctifino I am very much enjoying your trolling, especially the classic sudden escalation into “oh now you’ve gone too far.” I was genuinely saddened when “trolling” got conflated with just generally being a prick online so it’s always nice to see it done properly.

This is a fuctifino/Desperate Dan crossover post because there’s drugs growing in our local woods:

The sister of my friend who lives in the woods has been collecting loads of these and “microdosing” with the dried skins. I asked him why the air quotes round microdosing and he said she doesn’t know what a dose is meant to be, so when she says microdosing she just means “a little bit before bed.”

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Steve Bell has been sacked by the Guardian for submitting this 'anti-semitic' cartoon, if you want to know how ridiculous things are getting:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sanford posted:

Fuctifino I am very much enjoying your trolling, especially the classic sudden escalation into “oh now you’ve gone too far.” I was genuinely saddened when “trolling” got conflated with just generally being a prick online so it’s always nice to see it done properly.

This is a fuctifino/Desperate Dan crossover post because there’s drugs growing in our local woods:

The sister of my friend who lives in the woods has been collecting loads of these and “microdosing” with the dried skins. I asked him why the air quotes round microdosing and he said she doesn’t know what a dose is meant to be, so when she says microdosing she just means “a little bit before bed.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscimol posted:

The psychoactive dose of Amanita muscaria is around 10–15 g for an average person. A Guide to British Psilocybin Mushrooms by Richard Cooper published in 1977 recommends a smaller dose, 8.5 g, and suggests that it is possible for this amount to be present in as little as 1 g of dried A. muscaria but this is not consistent with most other reports which suggest 5–10 g is necessary. A correct dose may be difficult to determine because potency varies dramatically from one mushroom to the next.

Correct dose lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know amanita muscaria were psychoactive tbh.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know amanita muscaria were psychoactive tbh.

A lot of people will tell you (at great length) that in the sixties and seventies the government deliberately and persistently exaggerated the toxic qualities of fly agaric to quash the burgeoning British homemade psychedelics scene, and they’re fine actually and a great trip.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sanford posted:

A lot of people will tell you (at great length) that in the sixties and seventies the government deliberately and persistently exaggerated the toxic qualities of fly agaric to quash the burgeoning British homemade psychedelics scene, and they’re fine actually and a great trip.

aye they are all over the place- they very rarely kill people and folks have reported being able to trip safely etc and the ones I see often get eaten by squirrels/deer/cows/whatever quickly as any other mushrooms around

there's a few varieties of better/safer shrooms growing all over the place already, and growing kits are readily available for them and a host of other varieties otherwise- it's only the actual cultivation/possession thereof that's illegal and three tenths of gently caress all prosecutions happening

tbh the psychedelic scene seems to have about the best access to various substances- either by hook or by crook- in decades, even if the risk is fairly minimal there's far better ways to fly

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Pistol_Pete posted:

Steve Bell has been sacked by the Guardian for submitting this 'anti-semitic' cartoon, if you want to know how ridiculous things are getting:

https://twitter.com/BellBelltoons/status/1711480320309002295?s=20

i don't think he's been sacked - they just didn't published his cartoon. given the replies i can see why the guardian didn't want that heat. it does feel a bit clumsy

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm really looking forward to the nutmeg panic

quote:

Varying considerably from person to person, nutmeg intoxication may occur with side effects, such as delirium, anxiety, confusion, headaches, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, eye irritation, and amnesia. Intoxication takes several hours to reach maximum effect, and effects may last for several days. Rarely, nutmeg overdose causes death, especially if the nutmeg is combined with other drugs. Incidents of fatal poisoning from nutmeg and myristicin individually are uncommon.

Sounds like the worst high possible, but I guess if it was decent we'd lose access to a perfectly decent spice

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm really looking forward to the nutmeg panic

Sounds like the worst high possible, but I guess if it was decent we'd lose access to a perfectly decent spice

Under that weird blanket mind-altering substances act, isn't it theoretically already illegal? Along with like, helium, oxygen, alcohol, etc etc

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://twitter.com/BellBelltoons/status/1711480320309002295?s=20

i don't think he's been sacked - they just didn't published his cartoon. given the replies i can see why the guardian didn't want that heat. it does feel a bit clumsy

No, he's been effectively sacked. They won't commission anymore toons from him until his contract expires and there's no renewal.

The toon patently has nothing to do with a pound of flesh. I challenge anyone to make sense of that toon by contorting their interpretation that way.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Bit of a niche one, but had anyone had any luck in contesting a fixed penalty notice and if so, was it worth the effort?

I figure the difficulty of doing so will change depending on the action and city, but wondered if anyone has any experience.

In my case I got done for being in a bus lane.

However the bus lane merges with a left turn (with traffic lights) on the road I was on where there's about just 1 or 2 car lengths of space after the bus lane and the actual turn.

The same road is also often backed up because there's more than 2 cars back to back at the lights looking to carry straight on.

Long story short, the traffic started moving and I went into the left lane a little earlier (about a car length or two) to help the flow of traffic.

There were no buses, and I was in the lane for about 5 seconds at most before making the turn. £60 feels kinda harsh for that.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Hong XiuQuan posted:

No, he's been effectively sacked. They won't commission anymore toons from him until his contract expires and there's no renewal.

The toon patently has nothing to do with a pound of flesh. I challenge anyone to make sense of that toon by contorting their interpretation that way.

shakespeare was dealing with antiseptic tropes apparently, probably shouldn’t be teaching this at school?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

antiseptic tropes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Surprise T Rex posted:

Under that weird blanket mind-altering substances act, isn't it theoretically already illegal? Along with like, helium, oxygen, alcohol, etc etc

nah

quote:

excludes legitimate substances, such as food, alcohol, tobacco, nicotine, caffeine and medical products from the scope of the offence, as well as controlled drugs, which continue to be regulated by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

Whether A. Muscaria could be considered a food is debatable--the toxins are water soluble so it can be eaten after being prepared, but it's not very commonly eaten. My guess is if the filth will definitely grab you if they see you with any fungus that isn't the whitest Agaricus imaginable

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

nah

Whether A. Muscaria could be considered a food is debatable--the toxins are water soluble so it can be eaten after being prepared, but it's not very commonly eaten. My guess is if the filth will definitely grab you if they see you with any fungus that isn't the whitest Agaricus imaginable

Cops grabbing you because you're fly and you're not white? What madness is this?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Kin posted:

Bit of a niche one, but had anyone had any luck in contesting a fixed penalty notice and if so, was it worth the effort?

I figure the difficulty of doing so will change depending on the action and city, but wondered if anyone has any experience.

In my case I got done for being in a bus lane.

However the bus lane merges with a left turn (with traffic lights) on the road I was on where there's about just 1 or 2 car lengths of space after the bus lane and the actual turn.

The same road is also often backed up because there's more than 2 cars back to back at the lights looking to carry straight on.

Long story short, the traffic started moving and I went into the left lane a little earlier (about a car length or two) to help the flow of traffic.

There were no buses, and I was in the lane for about 5 seconds at most before making the turn. £60 feels kinda harsh for that.

(So criminal defense lawyer here, but not one who operated under the UK system. This is not legal advice, more so an explanation of the system to allow you to inform yourself and consider your options.)

Are you a gambler?

That's sort of what you've entered into, the adult serious real world version of "Deal or No Deal."

You can accept (what you describe as) the £60 fine. And any penalty points or ancillary boosts to your insurance premiums (Again, I'm not familiar with the UK system, but over here in Ireland a driving Fixed Penalty Notice would get you penalty points on your licence and that would also boost your insurance premium. )

I understand that you feel this is unfair given the circumstances, but right now, you can accept the penalty at this lowest level, and you know exactly where you stand.

The alternative is that you gamble about if you can contest this charge. This is where risk versus reward comes in.
If you contest the charge, you are left with no fine no points, etc....Best possible result here is essentially you are no better off than when you started.

But if you lose, the penalties are going to be increased. I don't know the figures but the fine could easily be doubled if not more. Not to mention any other ancillary penalties (insurance premium, points, whether they would hit you with costs towards the prosecution case. At this level, it won't be crippling, but it's probably something as expensive as the higher fine, at least. Again, I don't know the UK system well enough to say with certainty.)

If you want to contest it, there are two ways.
First is to appeal it and represent yourself. This is the cheapest way as you don't pay for a lawyer. You are basically relying on getting lucky and hope that the prosecution doesn't turn up or the judge listens to your version of events and takes pity on you. This can happen.
But you would be a loving idiot to try this. It's like going all in on a poker hand that's just a pair of two's. Sure, it can work, but more often than not, it doesn't.

The second option is to get a lawyer and contest it.
If you are going to do this, you need a bit of research. Find out which court this type of offence would be prosecuted in. And I mean which specific court.
Then, you find a solicitor who regularly appears in that court and knows the lay of the land. You want one who'll probably know the traffic Wardens by name, how likely they are to attend, and what sort of form the Judge has.

This is really important as an experienced lawyer will tell you stuff like "this court regularly rotates judges, so it is a crap shoot." Or "this judge regularly sits here. He acts as a rubber stamp for this revenue stream for the road traffic authority" or "this judge is alright. He will give you a fair hearing and might acquite you."
That sort of on the ground experience is what you pay your lawyer for.
Incidentally, that's the next part. Your solicitor at the outset will likely explain to you if you'd qualify for Legal Aid or if you are going to have to pay for a private defence and how much that will be.

Basically, I could go on and explain a lot more, but the essence of it is, do you want to try gambling on a slightly better outcome and how much are you prepared to lose on that?

That's not to say "don't fight." Just be aware and find out what type of money are you talking about before you make your decision.

Also be quick about it. If you read the FPN it'll tell you how many days you have to appeal and so forth. Normally, it's 14 days, but that's from the incident.
And very often the backlog is such that by the time they get it out to you, you might only have 7 or less days to make a decision. Which means you really have far less of a choice than you think you do.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Purely anecdotal but a friend did exactly the same as you into a bus lane in Sheffield, contested it, and response was basically “ah so you did do it then?” It’s like going through a red light to get out the way of a fire engine; if you get done for it, you can’t complain. Don’t go through red lights, don’t go into bus lanes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

well gently caress the guardian anyway

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kin posted:

Short version is no and no.

I got done for parking on what appeared to be a free space in London, turns out there was a no parking sign hundreds of yards away at the entrance to the area which officially counts, so no dice with contesting it.

Obviously it'll vary from area to area, but to me it felt like they'll take any out to uphold the penalty, even if what you got penalised for is a reasonable and honest mistake anyone could make.

Edit: Reading The Question IRL's post three up from this, I may have misunderstood what "contesting" the notice means. I didn't go legal with it, I just replied to the notice email with what I thought was exonerating evidence (IE: Photos of the area with no "no parking" signs in sight)

Gort fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
£60 seems cheaper on a per-hour basis than the time you would literally spend farting around at a courthouse and preparing for it, even in the minimal version where you represented yourself. Contest it if you want, but it would seem to be purely on principle rather than any material benefit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It's an obvious reference to the LBJ Vietnam scar cartoon

At some point we just need to start calling these people culturally illiterate cunts, especially when they're the same people who defend gollywogs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other tree based news, more inform has started to sprout about the tree felled in the Sycamore Gap.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/...rder-c-12212221

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Kin posted:

it's literally just 'did you do [thing] Yes/No' and any context be damned. I had a £100 FPN + points for pulling over through a red getting out of the way of a blue-lighting ambulance and the response to my challenge was a photo of my car in front of the traffic lights saying 'the light was red and you went through it, the end'

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Re: Contesting a fine

This reminds me of one of my finest moments in life, a time when I beat the system.

I had been done for not giving way at one of those priority junctions. I remember the time clearly because at the time I said to myself "feels a bit close".

What happened is that as I got to, and passed through a priority junction, a car had just entered the road. I had seen it driving towards the turning but it didn't indicate until the last moment so I had no idea if it was turning in. It did and I got sent a notice.

On the website I could watch a video of the incident which backed up my memory so I filled out the form and sent it off.

I heard nothing back for a few weeks, so I checked the website and it said the notice had been rescinded.

I literally whooped with joy at beating The Man.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's an obvious reference to the LBJ Vietnam scar cartoon

At some point we just need to start calling these people culturally illiterate cunts, especially when they're the same people who defend gollywogs.

Tbqh I couldn't work out what the Steve Bell one means and this doesn't help, it just turns out it's a reference to something else I can't work out what it means

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Kin posted:

Yes, I've fought a ton of these over the years and won plenty, I would argue it's always worth the time appealing. Many/most bus lane cameras don't have the proper approval to even be used for enfocement (eg. 'Hundreds’ of traffic cameras in South London may not be legally approved) so in these cases any appeal should ultimately win. It can be a bit of a faff, and arguably you might spend more time on it than the value of the fine is worth to you, but I'm a petty man when it comes to this sort of stuff so always prefer to argue the toss.

I would start by posting here: https://www.ftla.uk/civil-penalty-charge-notices-(councils-tfl-and-so-on)/

This is run by a bunch of people from what was previously PePiPoo who have won thousands of cases over the years if you need reassurance that it's not a honeypot. Unfortunately PePiPoo's domain is about to expire and nobody can locate who controls it, hence the move to FTLA.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Remember to always remind Lord Anderson of *that* tweet
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1713699601767653415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Tbqh I couldn't work out what the Steve Bell one means and this doesn't help, it just turns out it's a reference to something else I can't work out what it means
Yeah the actual reference is a fairly obscure link between Johnson breaking a taboo of showing surgery scars and his dismal record in Vietnam, but the cartoon itself is well known enough trope that it would be like a politics editor getting mad about a Low's Hitler and Stalin bowing or Goya's Saturn eating children reference. The cartoon reference is far more famous than the event.

There should be more political cartoons spoofing the Jimmy Carter rabbit incident.

e: ^^ although not by Ian Austin for obvious reasons