Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

If learning a new thing makes you feel stupid the game isn't at fault

Ignoring the second part of the statement like a typical dark souls defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if learning about ADP makes you feel stupid instead of just making you mad at the devs you're doing something wrong
ds2 is still the best one though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ds2 is still the best one though

drat right it is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have finished demons souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, bloodborne, sekiro and elden ring. I have plats in sekiro, bloodborne and elden ring. From what I played of dark souls 2 it is not only the worst, it isn't even an argument. It's a bad game. Period.

Some people like it. Some people like eating poo poo or drinking piss. I'm not saying fans of dark souls 2 enjoy eating poo poo, but I'm not saying they don't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can tell Dark Souls 2 is the best because of how mad people get when you like it. If you don't like Dark Souls 2 it's okay on an existential level but it doesn't say anything good about your taste or skill as a Soul Gamer (I don't mean a gamer who plays Souls games I mean someone whose pure heart and soul is in the game, like a Soul Skater)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's not my favorite From game but 2 is definitely the best From game with "Souls" in the name. Adaptability is dumb and bad, but every Souls game has its own unique dumb and bad thing :shrug:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Dark Souls 2 has powerstance and was the catalyst to me coming to realize, after a lifetime of playing videogames, than playing as a tank is the funnest build in pretty much everything.

Power stance was when you dual wielded weapons that you had over 150% of the strength requirement for. It was a glass cannon strategy, not a tank strategy. Unless you're saying you hated it so much that it caused you to fall in love with its polar opposite? :confused:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tanks are usually the most annoying person in the group in an MMO so I was really surprised when I tried one in some real game and it was kind of a fun relaxed playstyle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you really want to kill children in a videogame just play call of duty on xbox

I posted this on accident here instead of the starfield thread but I'll leave it here

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 16, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DS2 has bad levels and bosses, two very important important things, I don't really get how its anybody's favourite.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You might be thinking of Dark Souls 3, because Dark Souls 2 is the one that had extremely good level and boss design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Every dark souls game is actually bad

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"Ugh, way too many colors here, way too much of an interesting world here... this loving sucks give me a brown and grey destroyed city repeated over and over" - a Dark Souls 3 enjoyer failing to appreciate the artistic beauty that is Dark Souls 2

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just observing the fact where the souls-based gameplay is so obviously the best thing going in mainstream, and people are struggling to think of a way to invent something new. fps+rpg elements? nah poo poo, we did that....what fuckin elements do i combine to make me smarter than from software arghhh. actually our game is for the casual player so

and when i say people i mean the fans just as much as the companies. unrelated: lies of p is in one way a very honest product - it throws up it's hands and says, i got nothin. please like it anyway.

but it'll happen. people can't wait for it to happen.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 16, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dark Souls 2 has the windmill you set on fire, one of the most poorly pieces of telegraphing I've ever seen in a game. Its the only time you interact with the environment like that at any point in the game and there is zero indication that stuff like that is even possible.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dark Souls 2 has the windmill you set on fire, one of the most poorly pieces of telegraphing I've ever seen in a game. Its the only time you interact with the environment like that at any point in the game and there is zero indication that stuff like that is even possible.

Then you climb a ladder at the top of the windmill and end up in an underground lava cave

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah Dark Souls 2 felt like a particularly good Unity fan game of Dark Souls, just a bit flat and poorly animated. Everything about it felt artificial and gamey to me, I don't know why some people love its natural world. Maybe it was the SotFS enemy placements that ruined the atmosphere. The concept was cool, too bad it wasn't able to deliver.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes artificial is not a bad thing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nuebot posted:

Every dark souls game fan is actually bad

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I don't have strong opinions about Souls games themselves but every time I hear people describing what makes them amazing and satisfying it sounds like they'd enjoy jerking off on high SSRI doses.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That definitely sounds like something I should try out, thanks for the tip!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are a lot more interesting to play than Dark Souls/Bloodborne,etc.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

tango alpha delta posted:

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are a lot more interesting to play than Dark Souls/Bloodborne,etc.

Ico was seriously the poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Liking Dark Souls 2 is fine, in fact I’m pretty sure most people like it, but the people who claim it’s the best are almost always contrarians, and act like it’s a badge of honor that they think the worst one is the best one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I have finished demons souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, bloodborne, sekiro and elden ring. I have plats in sekiro, bloodborne and elden ring. From what I played of dark souls 2 it is not only the worst, it isn't even an argument. It's a bad game. Period.

Some people like it. Some people like eating poo poo or drinking piss. I'm not saying fans of dark souls 2 enjoy eating poo poo, but I'm not saying they don't.

Dark Souls 2 was the best because it had the best multiplayer, it's as simple as that. From your past posts you sound like the kind of player who plays with their network disabled, making you hollow irl

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

Ico was seriously the poo poo.

Ico was so loving good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

Dark Souls 2 was the best because it had the best multiplayer, it's as simple as that. From your past posts you sound like the kind of player who plays with their network disabled, making you hollow irl

it also had the best rolls
not jank locked-to-4-directions like ds1 but not infinite stamina every-boss-is-a-roll-forever-fest like ds3
(which also contributes to having the best pvp)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Then you climb a ladder at the top of the windmill and end up in an underground lava cave

yeah and what the gently caress is with characters casting magic spells, that's not realistic at all people cant do that

and there are dragons, and also a lady also claims to be a dragon? she doesn't have wings what the gently caress

this isn't at all what i expected, nothing in my 15 years of working at an arby's prepared me for this

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

yeah and what the gently caress is with characters casting magic spells, that's not realistic at all people cant do that

and there are dragons, and also a lady also claims to be a dragon? she doesn't have wings what the gently caress

this isn't at all what i expected, nothing in my 15 years of working at an arby's prepared me for this

Yeah, the inclusion of obviously intentional fantasy elements that exist to enhance the experience totally forgives any unintentional nonsense and oversights

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Whenever I swing my sword in this game it glitches out and the polygons stretch to cover half the screen, but hey this game has dragons so I guess anything goes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, the inclusion of obviously intentional fantasy elements that exist to enhance the experience totally forgives any unintentional nonsense and oversights

did you not also wonder why there are multiple distinct kingdoms that existed in different eras all within 60 seconds of walking distance from the small hub town

e: like the breaking down of time and space is a repeating theme throughout the series, an NPC in the second game even explains this to you i'm pretty sure

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

did you not also wonder why there are multiple distinct kingdoms that existed in different eras all within 60 seconds of walking distance from the small hub town

e: like the breaking down of time and space is a repeating theme throughout the series, an NPC in the second game even explains this to you i'm pretty sure

that happens in every videogame though

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Playing coop in Souls games is actually cheating, and if you beat a boss coop you didn't actually beat it at all.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Playing coop in Souls games is actually cheating, and if you beat a boss coop you didn't actually beat it at all.

Some NPC summons feel like they're canonical to that fight though, like Solaire showing up at the end of the game just feels right. It's not like you really need him there anyway, the last boss of the first game is a pushover

I think it should be decided that summoning Let Me Solo Her is the canonical way to fight Malenia

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you should go into gamerscore debt until you earn enough achievements in a game without coop to work your way out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This thread is making me want to go back in time and never play a Dark Souls game ever.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Comprehending media which has themes that go beyond "it's grimdark and you can't die even if you want to"

But that is the theme of DS2? DS1’s theme was “Everything is going to die someday and there’s nothing you can do about it, trying to go against this just makes things worse” While DS2 did the complete reverse and had the theme of “Oh please Jesus just let me loving die everything just repeats we are all trapped in Samsara”. Then 3, because it is the worst souls game, just rehashed 1 but stupider.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

veni veni veni posted:

Liking Dark Souls 2 is fine, in fact I’m pretty sure most people like it, but the people who claim it’s the best are almost always contrarians, and act like it’s a badge of honor that they think the worst one is the best one.

This always felt more to me like a direct reaction to the amount of people who loudly bray that it's the worst one and have done so since before the game was even released. Especially since like, most fans of dark souls two are more than willing to cop to the poo poo design choices in the game like soul memory, agility, and whatnot. But half of the criticisms of the game are equally valid across the whole franchise, both to the souls games that came before it, and the ones that came after it. The dark souls threads on these forums have seen some hilarious posts of people twisting themselves into knots to explain why empty rooms in one game is bad, but empty rooms in another is fine, or why repeat bosses in one game is bad, but it's fine in another, or why the gutter or whatever optional boss they took the most umbrage with in 2 is worse than the bed of chaos.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I like all the Dark Souls because it's like a painting on the side of a dungeon master's van come to life and full of skeletons and swords.

galagazombie posted:

But that is the theme of DS2? DS1’s theme was “Everything is going to die someday and there’s nothing you can do about it, trying to go against this just makes things worse” While DS2 did the complete reverse and had the theme of “Oh please Jesus just let me loving die everything just repeats we are all trapped in Samsara”. Then 3, because it is the worst souls game, just rehashed 1 but stupider.

DS2 had some interesting stuff about hollows needing to hold on to meaning and the loss of self that can feel pretty resonant applied to depression or dementia and possibly some other things. I don't think these were necessary intentional themes, but I think the game supports them.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Dark Souls 2 tried some interesting things and even though it's my least favourite game in the series I think it has some of the most interesting story threads and really like the overall vibe and mood. It introduced power stancing, had a huge build variety, and undoubtedly the best covenants and online play in any souls game.

It's really a shame that it went through development hell, with Tanimura himself stating that ideally they would have rebuilt the game from the ground up after Shibuya was kicked off of the project but they only had 15 months to ship it so instead had to repurpose all of the existing assets and were not able to fix all of the god awful hit box and AI pathing bugs. No doubt a lot of people jump on the bandwagon to slam Dark Souls 2 because it's trendy but it's also just very obvious that it suffers from more technical issues and baffling design choices than the other games as a result of it's troubled development.