Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

War is inherently political! So is pacifism. If Fukuda means in the sense that Gundam is not ultimately "about" the ideologies that the necessary war or Gundam Fight center upon, I think it has some sense; Gundam characters tend to be pretty near the ground and to have motives of their own, rather than wanting to take a principled and full-force Anti-Skub stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I guess I'm having trouble grasping the point here. "Shows focusing on characters are primarily about character interactions" is a blank nothing of a thesis because of course they are. Politics are frequently an integral part of character motivations in many Gundam shows, even in Fukuda's shows, and can't really be separated from those characters without requiring a huge rewrite.

Cagalli's arc in Destiny, while lovely, is entirely about her trying to live up to the political ideals espoused by her father, and Kira and Athrun's initial motivations in the show are supporting Cagalli in her quest. Is having a major character making a strong political statement not considered political because it's a "character beat"?

At the end of the day the important part of the character isn't the political ramifications but what it says about them as a character and how it impacts their personal development. To use IBO as an example: Kudelia getting trade deals done at the end of IBO is basically glossed over in a couple of lines because the only important part of it is that Kudelia kept her promise to Tekkadan and worked to improve their life. The actual emotional climax for the character is her and Atra and Mika's kid. The show assumes that people don't actually care about the details of the politics, just that something happened and it involved the character they were following.

Char giving his speech is a political thing but the reason the audience cares isn't the minutia of the speech, it is that it is Quattro finally stepping up after a series of trying to avoid doing exactly that. The speech is a political thing, informed and influenced by the setting, but the reason the audience is assumed to care is because of what it means for the character.

To put it more bluntly: Many people care more about the two people in the brightly colored robot suits clashing swords and yelling at each other than they do about the details of a peace treaty after the war. Of course there are plenty of people who do care about that (myself included) which is why you have errata that fleshes it out that is divorced from the actual show/move/etc itself.

Gundam shows end when the final battle is over and may have some loose wrapup on the political and social situations that informed the plot, but those don't matter to people more than if Tekkadan survived or Sulatta got married or Setsuna kept his promise or Domon and Rain got together or Amuro made it back to the White Base crew. Those tend to be the reasons people watch the shows and they are willing to put plausibility aside if it satisfies them on those aspects. In a well-written show you can balance both aspects but it isn't inherently 'not Gundam' if you don't. It's okay to end with a miracle or a flower in space or whatever because that is the important part for a lot of people.

Warmachine posted:

It's irresponsible to not engage with this, which is where Fukuda is stepping in poo poo. There's two reads here: either Fukuda left out the nuance by mistake and thus looks like an idiot in an era where people are hyper tuned to the political context of the media they consume, or his statements should be taken at face value and he looks actively negligent of how character reactions to political questions in a narrative ultimately calcifies what the politics of that narrative are.

There is a third read:

There is more to the interview than the thing posted and his comment has context around it which discusses exactly that. You are free to disagree with the things he says there (I certainly am not sure I agree with his 'society will not accept anything extreme today' stuff) but it is there.

quote:

―――Was the film adaptation in the works for some time?

The initial talk first came up just before the SEED TV series ended. There was a discussion of “Should we make one more movie to finish it off?” But what I had conceived then ended up incorporated into DESTINY. So, around the summer before DESTINY ended (the final episode aired October 1, 2005), talk of making it into a movie came up again, and that’s when I started thinking about it. So, for me, it feels more like “it’s finally taking shape.”

―――Nearly two decades later, has your approach to the work changed?

I don’t think it’s changed that much. However, there are aspects that inevitably had to change to keep pace with the times.

―――Could you elaborate?

Nobody wants anything extreme nowadays. Since we, of course, don’t know wars of the past from experience, we can only think about them through books, newsreels, and imagination. But I grapple with whether providing that as entertainment for minors is right? I have misgivings, of course. Both SEED and DESTINY delve into the roots of war, framing them within relatable human relationships, making them particularly intense. I don’t think society today would tolerate it.

―――Do you think the times being what they were back then allowed it to be tolerated?

Absolutely, it’s a sign of the times. War is a constant in any era (back then, it was the Iraq War following 9/11, the Afghan conflict). What happens in war is only tragic. If that becomes entertainment, it’s the end of the world. What matters is what you depict through war, and you have to portray the underlying foolishness as foolish. In that sense, some allowance for extreme expression back then was part of the times, but even that wouldn’t be permitted now.

―――In circumstances like that, what will you do?

I’ll depict it as-is. Just confront people with, “Is that kind of societal trend acceptable?” When you boil it down, manga and anime are, in the end, akin to junk food, a sort of guilty pleasure. Nowadays, people question, “Is this acceptable as a form of expression?” but I think adults shouldn’t make a big fuss about the snacks kids enjoy. Or rather, they shouldn’t be watching anime at their age.

―――A counterculture, then.

Manga and anime are rebellions against societal norms. While adults deem literature and artworks as mainstream entertainment, manga and anime are the antitheses, daring to illustrate the taboo. They’re shady, erotic, and, in a sense, cruel. Masters like Osamu Tezuka, Go Nagai, and my favorite George Akiyama, were all like that. ‘There’s more than one way to see the world’ is the message manga and anime should convey. Though they’ve somehow been pushed to mainstream culture, I keep in mind their essence isn’t forgotten when creating my works. I love these mediums that defy societal norms, which is why I do this job. Of course, being a profession, if it doesn’t resonate with many, it won’t bring in the money either.

THE NEW WORKS THEME EXPLORES THE RIGHT TO LOVE AND BE LOVED

―――In SEED, the main characters had a clear intention to stop the war.

In SEED, there was an assertion that one “shouldn’t fight.” But with DESTINY, it’s more of an ironic question: “Is it truly wrong to fight?” DESTINY serves as a counter-argument to SEED. It doesn’t denounce the act of fighting. Hope for tomorrow, the drive to achieve one’s desires—they come through struggle, through battle. At the time, people were beginning to say we should stop ranking in races or stop competing altogether. A blanket rejection of anything connected to war and conflict felt misguided to me. When you only see justice from one perspective, it inevitably ends up skewed. There are many people’s sense of justice, and you must acknowledge them to some degree to coexist. I really like how Moonlight Mask refers to being an “ally” of justice, not “justice” itself. There’s a pause, a restraint—something fundamental in hero narratives. The idea that it doesn’t claim absolute righteousness is appealing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's still important for the politics to make sense even if they aren't the focus. It's the same as any motivating factor for a character. Hathaway is a very politically motivated film with multiple scenes of characters commenting on sociological and political topics but it is primarily a movie about a troubled man struggling to come to terms with the path he's chosen in life and the cost of his actions. That's the crux of Hathaway's story and you could excise the politics altogether and still have a fine spy movie. Keeping the politics in, however, and discussing them in relevant scenes, adds a good layer of context for what is happening and it's a nice treat for people who do want to dig into the political angle.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
"Unlike other Gundam Shows, my Gundam doesn't care about Politics, it focuses on the characters" feels like a lovely snowclone of that one quote that western anime reviewers (and creators of stuff like Gen;LOCK Season 2 and Voltron Legendary Defender) like to parrot about Evangelion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's still important for the politics to make sense even if they aren't the focus. It's the same as any motivating factor for a character. Hathaway is a very politically motivated film with multiple scenes of characters commenting on sociological and political topics but it is primarily a movie about a troubled man struggling to come to terms with the path he's chosen in life and the cost of his actions. That's the crux of Hathaway's story and you could excise the politics altogether and still have a fine spy movie. Keeping the politics in, however, and discussing them in relevant scenes, adds a good layer of context for what is happening and it's a nice treat for people who do want to dig into the political angle.

I certainly agree there and I don't think Fukuda's statement disagrees either. He calls the war the 'backbone' and I don't think that's meant dismissively. Backbones are important.

(Though on a side note this does make me wonder about Build Fighters, which is pretty apolitical for the most part, but still arguably feels pretty drat Gundam. I wasn't thinking about it at all and I'm not sure it should even matter for this discussion.)

Fivemarks posted:

"Unlike other Gundam Shows, my Gundam doesn't care about Politics, it focuses on the characters" feels like a lovely snowclone of that one quote that western anime reviewers (and creators of stuff like Gen;LOCK Season 2 and Voltron Legendary Defender) like to parrot about Evangelion.

It's a good thing he didn't say that. In fact the quotes we are discussing are him talking about the Original Gundam.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It's a good thing he didn't say that. In fact the quotes we are discussing are him talking about the Original Gundam.

He sure didn't. I'm literally just making a joke.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's still important for the politics to make sense even if they aren't the focus.

I don't think there's anything nonsensical about Cosmic Eras politics, if anything they lean towards overly simple. It's just that, as they're not where the creators interest lies, they are mostly backgrounded compared to character drama and left in unresolved states, both series end with fragile ceasefires that arguably leave that world teetering on the precipice of disaster, not peace. There's a legit argument for it being one of the the bleakest Gundam setting outside of say, Crossbone Dust.

Gundam fandom has no shortage of fans that care about the details, while Fukuda is someone who isn't interested in content that just ticks "ah, so that's how it goes" checkboxes, so it's inherently going to rub some people the wrong way. The way I saw him explain his method once though made me get it and kind of agree with him, oddly enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Never said that CE had nonsense politics. I meant that politics in general work best as yet another motivating factor for characters and motivations work better when you can understand the rationale behind them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

None of what has been posted makes me think Fukuda understands the implication of his arguments beyond the bare foundation of 'war is bad.' What does extreme mean to him? Seed/Destiny are gratuitous, not extreme. Gory and violent just reinforces his assertion that his medium is 'junk food.' 00, Unicorn, IBO, Reco, and G Witch all go out of their way to show how hosed up war is on everyone involved, with varying degrees of violence and gore, but none are quite as cartoonish about it as Seed and Destiny. Does he think the successor series are extreme, and that the public won't accept that? Because if so, I've got bad news for him.

I think the only two things that resonate from what has been shared of the interview are the notion that when portraying war, you need to be careful not to glorify it and to properly convey that the causes and consequences are foolish and grave, and that there was an intent with Destiny to interrogate whether the pacifism espoused by Orb in Seed is really virtuous, or rather if there is such a thing as a just war. Which isn't a news flash to anyone who isn't hawkish in the art world. A lot of ink has been spelled on both topics and just demonstrates that, for all his frankly bizarre takes on the medium, he's at least done his homework on the genre.

So, in short it was my first read: he's out of touch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He can't do basic story telling, let's not even get into politic metaphors for his tiny baby brain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He committed the unforgivable crime of making a subpar toy anime. The worst crime of all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

At the end of the day the important part of the character isn't the political ramifications but what it says about them as a character and how it impacts their personal development. To use IBO as an example: Kudelia getting trade deals done at the end of IBO is basically glossed over in a couple of lines because the only important part of it is that Kudelia kept her promise to Tekkadan and worked to improve their life. The actual emotional climax for the character is her and Atra and Mika's kid. The show assumes that people don't actually care about the details of the politics, just that something happened and it involved the character they were following.

Char giving his speech is a political thing but the reason the audience cares isn't the minutia of the speech, it is that it is Quattro finally stepping up after a series of trying to avoid doing exactly that. The speech is a political thing, informed and influenced by the setting, but the reason the audience is assumed to care is because of what it means for the character.

To put it more bluntly: Many people care more about the two people in the brightly colored robot suits clashing swords and yelling at each other than they do about the details of a peace treaty after the war. Of course there are plenty of people who do care about that (myself included) which is why you have errata that fleshes it out that is divorced from the actual show/move/etc itself.

I hate this read because it assumes that the purpose of media is for the audience to watch things bang together and not draw any conclusions or ideas from the media they are consuming. I don't just care what happens to a character, I care about what that character - and thus the work the character is in - is saying as well, especially in the context of Gundam, a franchise which got its start in part trying to square the circle about real life war veterans who had fought for a terrible cause. Not every show has to have a political message buried beneath the surface - many of them are about interpersonal relationships or how we relate to the environment or any number of other morals - but it turns out that a show about human conflict and war frequently espouses political views of some sort, even unintentionally, because war is fundamentally a branch of politics.

There are absolutely a whole lot of people who don't bother reading beneath the surface of what they're watching, but there's a reason why the "wow cool robot" meme exists - it's making fun of people who consume media at the most basic surface level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I hate this read because it assumes that the purpose of media is for the audience to watch things bang together and not draw any conclusions or ideas from the media they are consuming. I don't just care what happens to a character, I care about what that character - and thus the work the character is in - is saying as well, especially in the context of Gundam, a franchise which got its start in part trying to square the circle about real life war veterans who had fought for a terrible cause. Not every show has to have a political message buried beneath the surface - many of them are about interpersonal relationships or how we relate to the environment or any number of other morals - but it turns out that a show about human conflict and war frequently espouses political views of some sort, even unintentionally, because war is fundamentally a branch of politics.

There are absolutely a whole lot of people who don't bother reading beneath the surface of what they're watching, but there's a reason why the "wow cool robot" meme exists - it's making fun of people who consume media at the most basic surface level.

That isn't what anyone is saying at all? Nobody, including Fukuda in his interview, says that you shouldn't take anything from the story in that way. LIke he flat out says the opposite of that.

There is a difference between the in-world politics of something and espousing political views. Material that has nothing to do with politics espouses political views on a regular basis. Gundam always has a message of some kind just by the nature of what it is.

But the actual politics of the world itself, the nitty gritty down-to-earth stuff? That isn't the stuff Gundam the TV show focuses on. It focuses on the big, the broad and the dramatic. It takes whatever messages it is trying to do and makes them big and blunt and very rarely subtle or subdued. Part of why the 'cool robot' meme exists is because the shows are not subtle about the things they are saying, and yes that includes SEED too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 16, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't what anyone is saying at all? Nobody, including Fukuda in his interview, says that you shouldn't take anything from the story in that way. LIke he flat out says the opposite of that.

There is a difference between the in-world politics of something and espousing political views. Material that has nothing to do with politics espouses political views on a regular basis. Gundam always has a message of some kind just by the nature of what it is.

But the actual politics, the nitty gritty down-to-earth stuff? That isn't the stuff Gundam the TV show focuses on. It focuses on the big, the broad and the dramatic. It takes whatever messages it is trying to do and makes them big and blunt and very rarely subtle or subdued. Part of why the 'cool robot' meme exists is because the shows are not subtle about the things they are saying, and yes that includes SEED too.

Your post that I replied to directly says "the important stuff isn't the political stuff but the character stuff", and goes on to talk about the show assuming people don't actually care about the details of the politics outside of how it mattered to the focus character in the moment:

quote:

Yes, Gundam always has a message of some kind. Very frequently, that message is political! It's about the moral culpability of grunts in the field for the criminal orders of their government(MSG), or fighting against fascism(Zeta), or class conflict(IBO), or drone warfare(Wing), or racism and its role in radicalizing populaces and accelerating atrocities(SEED), or whether fighting to stop fighting is acceptable or even possible(00), or all sorts of other messages that I view as pretty loving integral to the respective shows they appear in and are not always directly tied to a specific character in those shows. Even G Gundam, which is not a very politics heavy show compared to the vast majority of the rest of the franchise, has an environmentalist bent.

I don't actually understand what you're getting at by suddenly trying to draw a line about blunt vs subtle, because that's a completely different argument from "the politics are unimportant".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 16, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am sympathetic to trying to write a piece of fiction where politics takes a backseat or is even ostensibly absent. I just don't think SEED is that. This dichotomy of characters and politics is so strange precisely because my favorite SEED protagonist is all about both simultaneously. Natarle is a great character and her arc of personal integrity vs. loyalty is obviously as deeply character-focused as it is political. Now you can be loyal to non-political things of course but she's an officer in a nation's military and has specific issues all relate to her ideas about the military. Her character's climax is all about recognizing there is a time when loyalty to your nation has to end.

I guess she's not one of the "kids," though, so maybe she doesn't count? But she's a very prominent characters from start to end. And even the kid characters like Flay and Lacus have "politics" woven into their personal stories. I dunno.

I also always thought Naturals vs. Coordinators was a good, realistic premise and obviously deeply political.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 16, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Your post that I replied to directly says "the important stuff isn't the political stuff but the character stuff", and goes on to talk about the show assuming people don't actually care about the details of the politics outside of how it mattered to the focus character in the moment:

Yes, Gundam always has a message of some kind. Very frequently, that message is political! It's about the moral culpability of grunts in the field for the criminal orders of their government(MSG), or fighting against fascism(Zeta), or class conflict(IBO), or drone warfare(Wing), or racism and its role in radicalizing populaces and accelerating atrocities(SEED), or whether fighting to stop fighting is acceptable or even possible(00), or all sorts of other messages that I view as pretty loving integral to the respective shows they appear in and are not always directly tied to a specific character in those shows. Even G Gundam, which is not a very politics heavy show compared to the vast majority of the rest of the franchise, has an environmentalist bent.

I don't actually understand what you're getting at by suddenly trying to draw a line about blunt vs subtle, because that's a completely different argument from "the politics are unimportant".

There are people who think Metal Gear Solid is apolitical and is solely about the characters.

Like the point of the entire interview, summed up, is "Gundam is a big bombastic robot show. The messages it conveys are built around the characters and the conflicts they have in their big bombastic robots. If Gundam doesn't focus on those characters and their big bombastic robots, it doesn't feel like Gundam to me." That doesn't stop those big bombastic robots and characters from conveying messages, themes and ideas, but the inherent nature of Gundam is that those ideas are going to be expressed through big moments and robot fights because that is what Gundam is.

I don't necessarily agree. I think some of the best Gundam moments are smaller. I love G-Reco where the robot fights are often entrely perfunctory to what is actually going on. And I'm someone who likes devouring the errata and side material for the various worlds because I find it interesting. And there's plenty of people who really get into the tech aspects or whatever too. But if you're discussing Gundam the TV series and movies, not Gundam as a whole, then... yeah, it's hard to argue that if it isn't being expressed through robots fighting then it doesn't feel like Gundam.

The problem with this discussion is that 'politics' is being mixed together when the word can have a lot of meaning, but within the context of the interview politics in this case means "the dry down to earth stuff.' As much as I would watch a Gundam show about the politics of the OYW with minimal to no robot stuff (and there are mangas like that), it isn't really what the Gundam TV shows are about. They are the story of the characters and people in the world, not the world itself.

Like here is Fukuda's quote:

quote:

But we use various sci-fi elements like Minovsky particles to make the unrealistic war work, so it would be strange not to have battles between mobile suits. If you think realistically, having a white mobile suit on the battlefield is odd, or whether they need to be bipedal at all… Because we use those things to make the mobile suit battles exciting highlights, not having those battles isn’t an option. So while “Gundam” is dressed up as a war story, at its heart, it’s a “robot story.”

That's the entire point. "This is a Gundam show. It has to have robot battles."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 16, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

So he's effectively saying nothing substantive at all? There is no Gundam show or production that does not have big bombastic robot battles and a lot of character focus, and I don't think anyone has ever tried to make one without it. Even the Gundam shows with the least focus on fighting, Turn A and G-Reco, have huge robot fight climaxes. It's a free space on the Gundam bingo card. Even the shittiest and most forgettable entries in the franchise achieve that goal. IGLOO has that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

So he's effectively saying nothing substantive at all? There is no Gundam show or production that does not have big bombastic robot battles and a lot of character focus, and I don't think anyone has ever tried to make one without it. Even the Gundam shows with the least focus on fighting, Turn A and G-Reco, have huge robot fight climaxes. It's a free space on the Gundam bingo card. Even the shittiest and most forgettable entries in the franchise achieve that goal. IGLOO has that.

... I mean, yes, that is literally the point. He was asked what makes a Gundam show a Gundam show and he answered by explaining the things that are in every Gundam show in his opinion.

This isn't supposed to be a deep meaningful statement. It's four sentences in a fluff interview.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 16, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think that's a super shallow and lovely take of what makes Gundam Gundam, which I suppose is why my hackles are up about it. It's not even an interesting interview answer.

Tomino has no problem going on unhinged rants about whatever he's on a hobby horse about when people give him fluff interviews, but he actually expresses views and opinions!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I think that's a super shallow and lovely take of what makes Gundam Gundam, which I suppose is why my hackles are up about it. It's not even an interesting interview answer.

Tomino has no problem going on unhinged rants about whatever he's on a hobby horse about when people give him fluff interviews, but he actually expresses views and opinions!

It is a fluff piece about an upcoming movie. I don't know if you've ever read them before but that is absolutely bog standard for them. Like... if everyone was Tomino then Tomino's responses wouldn't be noteworthy.

100% honest, I feel like the only reason this is even a discussion is because it's Gundam SEED and there is a weird undercurrent of genuine anger about the series so every single element of it has to be viewed in the most negative way possible. Ever since the SEED movie was announced there has been this really weird and honestly kind of uncomfortable like... "SEE! It's EVIL and WRONG" element to the discussion which I'm not even sure how to understand.

It's going to be a mediocre movie that may or may not be successful. The absolute worst crime it will commit is increasing the odds having to see Hirai designs in an upcoming Super Robot Wars game and maybe having a stupid story about a dumb protagonist. The level of vitriol around it is just kind of silly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 16, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm probably one of the most pro-SEED posters in this thread, and I love Dendoh, so I'm not coming from a place of "rargh I hate SEED and they should crucify Fukuda", I'm coming from a place of "if you're making a Gundam production and you give an interview answer that seems to suggest you don't consider the entire thing that makes Gundam an interesting franchise to be important, it raises questions about what you're producing on a fundamental level".

You don't even need to get into the nitty gritty of specifics to say "I think it's important that Gundam uses its setting to look at messages and ideas and how they can relate to our world, using the characters and robot fighting as a focus to explore those things".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm probably one of the most pro-SEED posters in this thread, and I love Dendoh, so I'm not coming from a place of "rargh I hate SEED and they should crucify Fukuda", I'm coming from a place of "if you're making a Gundam production and you give an interview answer that seems to suggest you don't consider the entire thing that makes Gundam an interesting franchise to be important, it raises questions about what you're producing on a fundamental level".

You don't even need to get into the nitty gritty of specifics to say "I think it's important that Gundam uses its setting to explore messages and ideas and how they can relate to our world, using the characters as a focus".

... he did. He literally said that. "Both SEED and DESTINY delve into the roots of war, framing them within relatable human relationships, making them particularly intense"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

... he did. He literally said that. "Both SEED and DESTINY delve into the roots of war, framing them within relatable human relationships, making them particularly intense"

That's not what I'm getting at, but I think we're not connecting our conversation and we're taking up a lot of air in the thread over something we're probably not going to come to an agreement about.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HISTORYuc/status/1713736518370771199?t=BiSupPGUCQzXqjefA_xrxw&s=19

Do you think the Gundam Cafe also serves food without salt or has a burger vending machine?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/HISTORYuc/status/1713736518370771199?t=BiSupPGUCQzXqjefA_xrxw&s=19

Do you think the Gundam Cafe also serves food without salt or has a burger vending machine?

I hope it has the ice cream robots from Jaburo day care.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Kanos posted:

I'm coming from a place of "if you're making a Gundam production and you give an interview answer that seems to suggest you don't consider the entire thing that makes Gundam an interesting franchise to be important, it raises questions about what you're producing on a fundamental level".

This bugged me about the quote at first too, knowing nothing about the man. As I’ve been watching these shows I’ve been trying to consider the questions about ethics and morality being posed throughout the story and when someone says that stuff isn’t important I’m like “drat, I’m an idiot for trying to read anything into this” and it makes me not want to engage with it anymore. However: I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Fukuda show anyway. Also, he just seems to either be using a poor choice of words, or doesn’t understand that the ubiquitous driving force of the plot in every show in a franchise is, in fact, important to that franchise. It’d be one thing if the characters never talked about it, but they do literally all the time. It’s ridiculous to say the main things affecting your characters motivations aren’t important.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
this just makes me wonder what fukuda thought of gundam when he started seed, and what his intent with seed always was. even if it's not political, people who agree to work on gundam generally do so because they think they can do something interesting with it, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

this just makes me wonder what fukuda thought of gundam when he started seed, and what his intent with seed always was. even if it's not political, people who agree to work on gundam generally do so because they think they can do something interesting with it, right?

Fukuda has openly been a Gundam fan for a long time. Prior to SEED he worked on Metal Armor Dragonar which is just Gundam with the serial numbers filed off. His first big series, Cyber Formula GPX, contained a hilariously huge number of Gundam injokes and references, including getting Ikeda to voice a major villain who is basically prototype-Durandal.

Like it's worth noting Fukuda didn't come out of nowhere. He had a pretty long history of working on shows and was one for the names theoretically tapped to run the next Yuusha show post-GGG before that just didn't happen. (With rumors being Dendoh contains a lot of that DNA.) Cyber Formula in particular was a really big success and he was viewed as a pretty big up-and-coming dude. (SEED in particular has a lot of Dendoh crew on it and the ongoing rumor is that the original character designer was supposed to be Hirokazu Hisayuki before he recommended Hirai for the role instead.)

(It's also worth noting he worked on other Gundam shows too before SEED. He did storyboards on Victory and both storyboarded and directed some of the later episodes of Re:Rise.)

Edit: I should note I know most of this because Cyber Formula GPX was a huge favorite of mine. It's an extremely good series and most of its OAVs are good. (The last one is absolutely hot garbage for a lot of the reasons Destiny is though.) I also think Dendoh is in my top 3 favorite super robot shows. Everything he's worked on since then has been crap (maybe except for Rerise, I still have no interest in watching that, but at least people seem positive about it) so I don't have much faith in Freedom, but I think people get really weird about the dude sometimes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 16, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mister Olympus posted:

I think his intent with Seed was to retell the story of Mobile Suit Gundam but in a way that was aimed at the kids of the time? Like, that’s very clearly what Gundam Seed was. And it succeeded spectacularly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well it looks like he's gonna get a hat trick. New Seed is looking like a spectacle, just not the good kind.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lmao look at the specs for the Metaverse thing

These are more demanding specs than Armored Core 6

For this

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a funny interview answer because the themes and messaging of gundam have always been deeply political to an extent that's far beyond the baseline "all art is political" level of understanding. He's referring to in-universe politics though, not the political messaging of the story, which I guess he kind of has a point in but gundam still feels like a weird franchise to go "the in universe politics don't matter" about.

Yes, the politics of the one year war are an excuse to put the characters into interesting scenarios that allow the writers to tell their specific stories, the characters themselves rarely do political maneuvering on screen. That's still, like, politics being important though? It's pretty noteworthy how big a hand the in universe politics of gundam have in creating story scenarios in the first place, to discard that as unimportant is missing the forest for the trees I think.

Also the characters in gundam wing will literally stare at the camera and give extended monologues about the political ramifications of actualizing a pacificist political ideology at the state level or the usage of drone warfare, so uh, lmao

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

here is a video that literally 100% consists of in universe political maneuvering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

For this

Well at least you're not swiping the CardAss machine, I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

We'll never know, they're all closed except for the pop up in Yokohama. https://gundam-factory.net/en/gundam-cafe/

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is a fluff piece about an upcoming movie. I don't know if you've ever read them before but that is absolutely bog standard for them. Like... if everyone was Tomino then Tomino's responses wouldn't be noteworthy.

100% honest, I feel like the only reason this is even a discussion is because it's Gundam SEED and there is a weird undercurrent of genuine anger about the series so every single element of it has to be viewed in the most negative way possible. Ever since the SEED movie was announced there has been this really weird and honestly kind of uncomfortable like... "SEE! It's EVIL and WRONG" element to the discussion which I'm not even sure how to understand.

It's going to be a mediocre movie that may or may not be successful. The absolute worst crime it will commit is increasing the odds having to see Hirai designs in an upcoming Super Robot Wars game and maybe having a stupid story about a dumb protagonist. The level of vitriol around it is just kind of silly.

While I don't doubt that there's some of that floating around, I just want to say that I was more pro-Fukuda than anti-Fukuda until these last two interviews. After them, I am a lot less excited about the new Grendizer and I trust anything he is involved in a lot less.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

For this

lol this whole thing is a comedy of errors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNCHDDv4yOI

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: gently caress it, nevermind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 17, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The man said a very dumb iron clad absolute statement. You do not need to go to bat about how he actually meant something that directly contradicts “the moment it delves into politics, it ceases to be Gundam”.

Just let him take the L and hope his output doesn’t reflect the decision to say something so silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Besides, everyone knows the thing that makes something not Gundam is if it's the newest thing and even one single thing about it is different from another thing that I like.