Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/CATargetBot0001/status/1713607786653982994

George Anthony Devolder-Santos raised -17,000 dollars in the last three months :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do you claw back a campaign contribution??

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

smackfu posted:

How does plurality help if all the Dems vote for Jeffries?

Because you would end up with a Speaker no matter what?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smackfu posted:

How does plurality help if all the Dems vote for Jeffries?

Do you know what a plurality is...?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you know what a plurality is...?

Oh so just basically electing Jeffries then. Good luck with that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

smackfu posted:

Oh so just basically electing Jeffries then.

Either electing Jeffries or forcing enough Republican unity via the threat of him.

Even in the scenario I am suggesting, this only occurs if poo poo stays shut down for a while and poo poo gets really bad.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

smackfu posted:

How do you claw back a campaign contribution??
Steal donors credit card numbers, make fraudulent charges, then start getting caught

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

haveblue posted:

I don’t think the country can make it to January 2025 without passing legislation of any kind. For one thing, a >1 year government shutdown will end in mass resignations and the complete collapse of the federal bureaucracy. The last shutdown ended when it looked like all civilian air activity was going to halt. Can’t wait to see what exerts enough pressure to end this one

Isn’t there some point where the Executive Branch just fixes things on a monthly basis and Biden keeps pointing out that he won’t let the country drown while the GOP learns to swim?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ghostwritingduck posted:

Isn’t there some point where the Executive Branch just fixes things on a monthly basis and Biden keeps pointing out that he won’t let the country drown while the GOP learns to swim?

The executive branch can do SOME finagling things on it's own but that mostly consist of robbing peter to pay paul, congress 100% unambiguously controls the purse and has set things up so the executive needs constant affirmative permission from congress to actually spend money

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Completely agree.

Another sad thing in general: 35.8% turnout. That’s just pathetic.

Cannot emphasize enough how bad the state Democratic Party is.

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1713564336847802846

The GOP was assured majorities in the House and Senate before voting even started because the Democrats didn't even field enough challengers.

There's now nothing holding back the Republicans from going completely ham on all kinds of horrible abortion, anti-gay, anti-trans poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

Cannot emphasize enough how bad the state Democratic Party is.

https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status/1713564336847802846

The GOP was assured majorities in the House and Senate before voting even started because the Democrats didn't even field enough challengers.

There's now nothing holding back the Republicans from going completely ham on all kinds of horrible abortion, anti-gay, anti-trans poo poo.

$28,000??? What the gently caress man?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Silly Burrito posted:

Did they have one fundraising dinner and call it quits?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

2 percentage points from forcing a runoff for Landry where maybe Wilson, freed from a field of like 15 candidates, can put up a fight, and they spent like 2 rounds of direct mailers in Sept.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I haven’t been paying attention to this race. Trump won Louisiana by 18 points in 2020. Why would people expect the Dems to be competitive?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

smackfu posted:

I haven’t been paying attention to this race. Trump won Louisiana by 18 points in 2020. Why would people expect the Dems to be competitive?

I think it's more they expected dems to actually try to compete?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

smackfu posted:

The current governor is a Dem. He got two terms there. Now granted he was anti-abortion but still.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
National, state, and local politics can be completely disconnected from each other too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

the_steve posted:

This is it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The current governor is a Dem. He got two terms there. Now granted he was anti-abortion but still.

Yeah, he was basically Republican lite but still, he was way better than his predecessor.

Landry is going to take all the Fox News scary things and look at those instead of helping the people.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

the_steve posted:

It's easy to say things like "They should run a competitive candidate in every district", but in terms of actually doing that, it means that you need people who are willing to basically drop their lives for a few months to campaign, get dragged through the media, knock on doors and do cold call fundraising, and then most likely lose by a lot in the end no matter how hard they tried. It's a lot to ask and it's hard to find candidates.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

$28,000 is pathetic even in a massively red state. That's not even trying.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Biden did an interview on 60 minutes and uh, yeah he looks like poo poo. I'm half his age and if I was working the kind of long days he's no doubt been working this past week I'd look like poo poo too. But still, it's a bit concerning when the guy with his finger on the nuclear button looks like he's about to nod off any second.
https://youtu.be/d403nALfQrE?si=g2pjAYYZXjf5DuE7

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sounds like... opportunity! Someone should go to Louisiana, kill the apparently frail and weak King of the Democrats there, and assume the throne as the new King of the Louisiana Democrats.

Charliegrs posted:

Biden did an interview on 60 minutes and uh, yeah he looks like poo poo. I'm half his age and if I was working the kind of long days he's no doubt been working this past week I'd look like poo poo too. But still, it's a bit concerning when the guy with his finger on the nuclear button looks like he's about to nod off any second.
https://youtu.be/d403nALfQrE?si=g2pjAYYZXjf5DuE7

I would prefer ALL nuclear button-watchers to just nod off on the job, frankly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

mutata posted:

I would prefer ALL nuclear button-watchers to just nod off on the job, frankly.

As long as the molly-guard is still down. Otherwise it could be an issue.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

smackfu posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to expect them to win, but it's kind of disappointing that they didn't even try. Mississippi Democrats got a credible candidate who has a campaign.

Once in a while the Republican turns out to be a pedophile who got banned from malls for harassing teenagers.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
We have our first confirmed hate crime murder directly attributable to the current propaganda against Palestinians since the outbreak of hostilities last week.

71-year-old Chicago landlord broke into the apartment of two of his tenants, a mother and boy, and stabbed them both repeatedly. The 6-year-old boy died and his mother is in the hospital.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 16, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I love our world. Our large world.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

James Garfield posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to expect them to win, but it's kind of disappointing that they didn't even try. Mississippi Democrats got a credible candidate who has a campaign.

Once in a while the Republican turns out to be a pedophile who got banned from malls for harassing teenagers.

Yeah, and even if you don't expect to win, politics is all about perception.
You want your base to, at the very least, perceive you as having tried to win, otherwise they're going to figure the party has abandoned their area and aren't going to want to donate/volunteer/bother showing up to vote and then it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I get that Louisana dems are bad and terrible, but can someone explain why 35% turnout is considered so bad in a non-november odd-year election? It seems to me that the whole system here exists to suppress turnout and that result seems reasonable

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Ohio had just about 40% of registered voters turn up to vote down a hugely anti democratic special election amendment to our own loving constitution. Our Secretary of State estimated it would be an 8% turnout (gently caress you LaRose).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

George Santos will be in Washington a very long time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Yeah, and even if you don't expect to win, politics is all about perception.
You want your base to, at the very least, perceive you as having tried to win, otherwise they're going to figure the party has abandoned their area and aren't going to want to donate/volunteer/bother showing up to vote and then it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Also, these things build on each other. The party should be building infostructure of volunteers, fundraisers, and candidates to build out for the future.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

It's easy to say things like "They should run a competitive candidate in every district", but in terms of actually doing that, it means that you need people who are willing to basically drop their lives for a few months to campaign, get dragged through the media, knock on doors and do cold call fundraising, and then most likely lose by a lot in the end no matter how hard they tried. It's a lot to ask and it's hard to find candidates.

I'm reminded of how in 2020 there was some republican who won in a local race against the dem incumbent and he did zero campaigning, he only did the bare minimum to get his name on the ballot (hopefully someone remembers the guy I'm talking about? I forget his name and I'm not able to find it. I wanna say it happened in New York or New Jersey?). Of course that's not the ideal way to go about things, but a minuscule chance of it working out sure is better than a guaranteed 0% chance. Especially since dems are counting on a backlash against republicans over abortion - it would make sense to make sure that no races go unchallenged just because you never know when there will be a freaky outlier result like that. Even if it just involves following in the steps of that example, it's better than nothing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nonsense posted:

George Santos will be in Washington a very long time.

Like the state? In federal prison?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

My district Dems won't even bother sending a single person to man a booth at the county fair even when they do have a competitive candidate running. The Republicans sure do show up every year, though. The complete disregard for no-brainer outreach like that makes it easy to poo poo on them.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 16, 2023

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

i am a moron posted:

Ohio had just about 40% of registered voters turn up to vote down a hugely anti democratic special election amendment to our own loving constitution. Our Secretary of State estimated it would be an 8% turnout (gently caress you LaRose).

Yeah, I think they really underestimated just how pissed off people were about that.

And judging by the churches around here being plastered with “Vote No to Proposition 1” signs, they’re probably expecting this next vote to not go well for them either.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

I'm reminded of how in 2020 there was some republican who won in a local race against the dem incumbent and he did zero campaigning, he only did the bare minimum to get his name on the ballot (hopefully someone remembers the guy I'm talking about? I forget his name and I'm not able to find it. I wanna say it happened in New York or New Jersey?). Of course that's not the ideal way to go about things, but a minuscule chance of it working out sure is better than a guaranteed 0% chance. Especially since dems are counting on a backlash against republicans over abortion - it would make sense to make sure that no races go unchallenged just because you never know when there will be a freaky outlier result like that. Even if it just involves following in the steps of that example, it's better than nothing.

The GOP in Florida just signed people up with similar looking names to really screw with the election process. No campaigns or anything.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-florida-orlando-government-and-politics-b82ae695a6356d167f373d2055eef651

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, I think they really underestimated just how pissed off people were about that.

And judging by the churches around here being plastered with “Vote No to Proposition 1” signs, they’re probably expecting this next vote to not go well for them either.

They picked what would have been the new threshold for amendments based on polling for Prop 1. It was looking like it would pass something like 55-45, iirc, which is why the threshold in the special election set it to 60. It was incredibly blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There seems to be a block of House Republicans who want it to be known that they are very opposed to Jim Jordan as Speaker, but also not very organized.

Part of the reason they didn't hold a vote last week was because there is a small group that says they won't support Jordan and are fielding YET ANOTHER alternate candidate. They haven't found anybody to do it yet, though.

They expect to have a name nominated before the end of today and by Tuesday at the latest.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1713674456202174929

quote:

Jordan to face a challenger in floor vote Tuesday

'There will be an alternative for the rational part of the Republican conference,' an opponent of the hard-right congressman says.

A faction of Republicans that strongly opposes Jim Jordan is vowing he'll have a challenger during the House floor speakership vote on Tuesday, according to two House Republicans familiar with the planning.

While they have not yet nailed down a specific name, they believe the person they ultimately land on will not only be able block Jordan from the speakership, but also give cover to those who want to vote against him. The challenger will certainly take arrows from the far-right flank of the conference, which is pushing hard for Jordan.

“There will be an alternative for the rational part of the Republican conference,” said one of these House Republicans.

It’s an unwelcome development for Jordan that will further complicate his rocky bid to get to 217 votes on the House floor. Few House Republicans had predicted he would face a competitor after he won the conference’s nomination on Friday.

Jordan was the second speaker nominee this past week, after his supporters first helped block Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) by making clear they would not give him the 217 votes needed.

That upset Scalise allies, leading one – Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) – to challenge Jordan. Scott received 81 votes, vs. 124 for Jordan.

And in a subsequent secret-ballot vote, where members registered whether they would support or oppose Jordan on the floor, results weren’t much better: 55 House Republicans continued to say they will oppose him for the speakership.

“Chairman Jordan is looking forward to uniting the entire conference on Tuesday in order to get back to work and pass the bills that the American people expect by giving Israel the resources they need to destroy Hamas and securing the southern border,” Jordan spokesperson Russell Dye said in a statement.

Most House Republicans believe that number will come down, but the question is by how much. Conservative allies of Jordan believe there are about a dozen hard “no” votes, but those who oppose him believe they have closer to 20. Jordan, however, needs to win over more than 50 opponents to become speaker.

While there was a push for the party to support the nominee who the conference selected with a majority vote, Jordan supporters made clear quickly and loudly they wouldn’t back Scalise. Now, the same is happening to Jordan.

Jordan allies, meanwhile, want to charge into a floor vote with the hope that the public pressure from the conservative base, radio talk show hosts, and their own GOP colleagues, among others, will change the holdouts’ minds. Not to mention the threat of a primary challenge.

“It’s time for a floor vote! Republicans should come back to DC to elect Jim Jordan the Speaker of the House. What are we waiting for? The American people want Jim to be the next Speaker,” Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), Jordan’s Freedom Caucus ally, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.