Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

imagining him keeling over and kamala having to handle the PR for Israel's genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Apparently they've started construction of USS Fallujah, work began this year.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hubris.height posted:

archduke franz ferdinand on his recent travel plans: "definitely a great idea"

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BULBASAUR posted:

didn't know that tommy killed christ, drat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
give hamas a carrier group

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

First they came for the supermodels and I did not speak out, because I was not a supermodel.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

children should be playing workers and resources.

:hmmyes:

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Oct 16, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Scarabrae posted:

I really loving hate joe biden

:hai:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AxGrap posted:

Did anyone say infant-ada yet?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

joe biden got owned by budykins can you imagine lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Did they name any ships after the Vietnam or Afghan Wars? Pretty telling sign of imperial decline when you run out of actual victories to name your poo poo after and have to go for technicalities.

quote:

USS Hué City (CG-66) is a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser serving in the United States Navy. She was ordered 16 April 1987, and laid down 20 February 1989, at Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Mississippi. Hué City was in active service from 14 September 1991 to 23 September 2022.[1] She is named for the Battle of Huế, fought in the city during the Tet Offensive of 1968 by the 1st Marine Regiment (composed of 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines and attached units) during the Vietnam War. The three battalion commanders were the honored guests at her 1991 commissioning.

Hué City is the only U.S. Navy ship named after a battle in the Vietnam War, although it had been planned to name LHA-5 as USS Khe Sanh after the Battle of Khe Sanh, but that ship was commissioned in 1976 as Peleliu. As the only U.S. warship named for a battle that took place during the Vietnam War, Hué City had the opportunity to reach out to the veterans of the battle for which she is named. She frequently held memorials commemorating the Battle of Hué .

decommissioned last year

quote:

USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112) is the 62nd ship of the Arleigh Burke class of guided missile destroyers in the United States Navy. She is named for Medal of Honor recipient Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy (1976–2005). Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan in June 2005. He was the first sailor awarded the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War. The ship's name was announced by Secretary of the Navy, Donald C. Winter on 7 May 2008. The ship was christened on 7 May 2011, Murphy's birthday,[5] by her sponsor Maureen Murphy, Michael Murphy's mother.[3][4][7][8] The ship is part of Destroyer Squadron 31 of Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific.[9]

quote:

Michael Patrick Murphy (May 7, 1976 – June 28, 2005) was a United States Navy SEAL officer who was awarded the U.S. military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor, for his actions during the War in Afghanistan. He was the first member of the United States Navy to receive the award since the Vietnam War.[1] His other posthumous awards include the Silver Star Medal[2][3][n 1] and the Purple Heart.

Michael Murphy was born and raised in Suffolk County, New York. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University with honors and dual degrees in political science and psychology. After college he accepted a commission in the United States Navy and became a United States Navy SEAL in July 2002. After participating in several War on Terrorism missions, he was killed on June 28, 2005, after his team was compromised and surrounded by Taliban forces near Asadabad, Afghanistan.

Operation Red Wings was a counter-insurgent mission in Kunar province, Afghanistan, involving a four man special reconnaissance team of United States Navy SEALs. Murphy and two other SEALs in the team, Danny Dietz and Matthew Axelson, were killed in the fighting, in addition to 16 other U.S. special operations members, who were killed when their helicopter was shot down while attempting to extract the SEAL recon team. Prior to a helicopter being shot down in 2011,[8][9] Operation Red Wings was both the largest loss of life for U.S. forces in Afghanistan since the invasion began[10] and the largest loss for the SEALs since the Vietnam War.

Murphy was the commander of the four-man reconnaissance team made up of himself, Danny Dietz, Matthew Axelson, and Marcus Luttrell. The team was tasked with conducting surveillance on a top Taliban leader, Ahmad Shah (code name Ben Sharmak),[11] who commanded a group of insurgents known as the "Mountain Tigers,"[12] west of Asadabad.[13][14] They were dropped off by helicopter in a remote, mountainous area east of Asadabad in Kunar Province, near the Pakistan border. After an initially successful infiltration, local goat herders stumbled upon the SEALs' location. Unable to verify any hostile intent from the herders, the team cut them loose. Hostile locals, possibly the goat herders they released, alerted nearby Taliban forces, who surrounded and attacked the small team. At the cost of his own life, Murphy was able to get a message out to friendly forces of their situation, which prompted reinforcements flown in on an MH-47 Chinook helicopter. The helicopter was shot down by an RPG, killing all 16 personnel aboard; eight were SEALs, the other eight were 160th SOAR.[4]

Murphy, Dietz, and Axelson were killed in the action. Luttrell was the only U.S. survivor and was eventually rescued, after having wandered in the mountains before being taken in by friendly local Afghan villagers.[4] All three of Murphy's men were awarded the Navy's second-highest honor, the Navy Cross, for their part in the battle; alongside Murphy's Medal of Honor, their team became the most decorated in Navy SEAL history.[15]

As a consequence of this, the US Military no longer allows for just 4 men in operations like this, it is now standard to have 8+ men in such an operation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

genuinely thought this was a joke.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Zedhe Khoja posted:

imagining him keeling over and kamala having to handle the PR for Israel's genocide

israel. must have. the ability to defend. (incoherent laughter) m’kay

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Man he is so loving stupid

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1713728026918408247

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

It's all the ones named after an American, OP

Someone complained, I think it was in this thread that the USS Chesapeake of the original six frigates of the US Navy dropped the naming convention on being named after the founding principles of the United States like Constitution, President etc. but I don't think even 18th century America would have been ready for a USS Slavery.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I despise Biden more now than I did in 2020. Since then we've had child poverty doubling, a rail workers' strike busted, and groveling support for Israeli genocide. gently caress him.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Lol that interview is insane just complete garbage

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Godlessdonut posted:

Ahhh that makes sense then.

In light of Israel sending Merkavas into Gaza to kill Palestinian children, Ennis' admiration for them may have been premature

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

are you kidding me lol
whens the uss my lai

brain smoothie
Sep 28, 2023
IDF spokesman Conricus on attack on Gaza evacuation convoy that killed 70:

"We did not actively target any convoy of civilians ... we assess this attack was done by Hamas ...

When you apply logic and you think who would benefit from those horrible images ... who stands to gain from that? Only one organisation: Hamas.

We have seen there there is no limit to its depravity… this is an organisation of subhumans ...

I don’t think it’s beneath Hamas to kill civilians if they think it will help them in the international arena."

Sorry IDIOTS but the logical answer is NOT that the civilians were killed by the people who have been dropping thousands of bombs on civilians non-stop for the past week.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
just the rambling off handed arrogant temerity that it would only be localized to southern Lebanon engaging with Hezbollah and not affect the whole region.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Someone complained, I think it was in this thread that the USS Chesapeake of the original six frigates of the US Navy dropped the naming convention on being named after the founding principles of the United States like Constitution, President etc. but I don't think even 18th century America would have been ready for a USS Slavery.

it's less of a mouthful than USS Smallpox Blankets

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Getting gas lit by Biden.

It's Palastine that is doing the genocide.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
eagerly awaiting the name of the first USS vessel that’s just a racial slur

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Actually, the extremely well-funded and supported ethnostate with an expensive boondoggle like the Iron Dome is the perpetual victim against the unarmed civilians and hospitals that get in the way of its bombs.

e: I know it's nothing new, but the constant invocation of the Holocaust as a shield/excuse for Israel's genocide is probably one of the most despicable things that Israel (and its supporters) do. I am not Jewish, but imagine losing family members in the Holocaust and having them metaphorically dug up and their bodies thrown in your face whenever you criticize Israel in any way. It's disgusting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Oct 16, 2023

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

eagerly awaiting the name of the first USS vessel that’s just a racial slur

USS Football Team

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

err posted:

Getting gas lit by Biden.

It's Palastine that is doing the genocide.

it's why they keep saying "this is the worst attack on Jews since the Holocaust" - it's supposed to make negotiations impossible by creating the impression that any kind of concession to Hamas is going to kill more people compared to continuing the fighting

it's the same rhetoric they use with the Ukrainians and the Holodomor

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

cool they can hang backwater mercs from the rear view mirror

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnZQhKmDxk

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's why they keep saying "this is the worst attack on Jews since the Holocaust" - it's supposed to make negotiations impossible by creating the impression that any kind of concession to Hamas is going to kill more people compared to continuing the fighting

it's the same rhetoric they use with the Ukrainians and the Holodomor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Willa Rogers posted:

First they came for the supermodels and I did not speak out, because I was not a supermodel.

the real criminals are whoever picked those horrible fonts

talk about war crimes

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

slaps

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Actually, the extremely well-funded and supported ethnostate with an expensive boondoggle like the Iron Dome is the perpetual victim against the unarmed civilians and hospitals that get in the way of its bombs.

e: I know it's nothing new, but the constant invocation of the Holocaust as a shield/excuse for Israel's genocide is probably one of the most despicable things that Israel (and its supporters) do. I am not Jewish, but imagine losing family members in the Holocaust and having them metaphorically dug up and thrown in your face whenever you criticize Israel in any way. It's disgusting.

Norman Finkelstein makes exactly this point -- to paraphrase, that is precisely because of his parents' experiences in the camps, that he stands steadfastly with Palestine and against the Israeli genocide. It's also worth noting that, due to his donation, one of the hospitals in Gaza being evacuated had a wing named after his Holocaust-survivor parents.

It's tantamount to Holocaust denial to invoke it in defense of Israeli ethnic cleansing and genocide, and it is precisely and unambiguously Holocaust denial to compare Hamas's attack on Israel to the Holocaust. When you're Israeli... they let you do it.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

i thought you were loving joking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fallujah

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Storming a whole bunch of places in the West Bank currently

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1713724602629677336

speng31b
May 8, 2010

:whitewater:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The israeli official social media accounts going after and shaming celebrities is funny as hell in an absurd way.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Death By The Blues posted:

Storming a whole bunch of places in the West Bank currently

https://twitter.com/AJABreaking/status/1713724602629677336

Isn't the West bank like completely toothless whats the point of that

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

brain smoothie posted:

We have seen there there is no limit to its depravity… this is an organisation of subhumans ...

A thing well know to be something only people not doing a genocide call the people they're not genociding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Valleyant posted:

Isn't the West bank like completely toothless whats the point of that

The genocide is the point.