Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
For some reason the feedback link on the dialog doesn't work at all regardless of what I type into it; it just says it can't be sent.

I mean most of them are me coming up with creative ways to tell them to suck my rear end without tripping word filters, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Hey google

gently caress YoU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What can I do to help elon? he's helping humanity :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Private Cumshoe posted:

What can I do to help elon? he's helping humanity :)

https://neuralink.com/patient-registry/

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's actually pretty wild that I've just suddenly kind of stopped using YouTube. The moment it said the whole "three strikes and you're banned" I just haven't used it because it just seems like way too much hassle.

I don't want to buy premium, or watch more ads than free to air TV. Not while the people making the content are always on edge about what slight thing might do to have their channel demonetized.

It's all kind of hosed. If a significant amount of channels I enjoy went to nebula I might consider it, but somehow I don't think that will happen. If YouTube was just less insane on needlessly and bizarrely punishing the creators they rely on because of those ad dollars I'd be more okay watching them. As it is I feel like increasing ad views is probably going to end up with a more stringent policy that punishes creators.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you are getting the "three strikes and you're banned notice" then the best thing you can do to help the world is to purposefully get banned and then stop using youtube so that the data shows it

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I know myself and know that I don't need to make any principled decision to not use it, because the moment I click on a video and it gets me some bullshit that is not the video, I'm gonna be like eh whatever and close the tab. I'm probably not the only one.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

GolfHole posted:

if you are getting the "three strikes and you're banned notice" then the best thing you can do to help the world is to purposefully get banned and then stop using youtube so that the data shows it

im pretty sure if they're banning you they don't give a gently caress if you stop using youtube. since they're banning you and all

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

what if someone was to like

get this

make another video hosting website where people can make money

psssh. yeah. pretty crazy. i guess youtube is pretty important then.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I really don't mind the ads

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

hbag posted:

im pretty sure if they're banning you they don't give a gently caress if you stop using youtube. since they're banning you and all

It's more that this stuff rolls out through A/B test where they serve the new (adblock disallowed) version to a segment of the userbase and make a decision on whether to roll it out across the board based on the reactions that segment has to it. If people just go ahead and get banned and/or stop using youtube when they see the popup, they'll reconsider rolling it out for everyone. But if people get that adblock warning and keep using youtube, it counts as a data point in support of rolling it out to everyone permanently.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah they're doing a lot of this. Some people get a popup that can be closed. Others get a popup that can be closed but only after a set time. Some get one that can't be closed I think. Yet others get banned.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

engage mass a/b testing program

compile results which will result in all the money for us if our calculations are 100% correct which they are as of 9.07am

introduce the unblockable ads

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Scam Likely posted:

I primarily watch Youtube for the long hair gun fanatic goon and the Scottish space goon.

The Forgotten Weapons guy is a goon?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

roomtone posted:

engage mass a/b testing program

compile results which will result in all the money for us if our calculations are 100% correct which they are as of 9.07am

introduce the unblockable ads

how.... how did you just do an entire years worth of business in a single post??!?? amazing

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Elukka posted:

Yeah they're doing a lot of this. Some people get a popup that can be closed. Others get a popup that can be closed but only after a set time. Some get one that can't be closed I think. Yet others get banned.

Wait stop hold up a sec. They are banning people from watching YouTube if they use an ad blocker on their own personal device??!

3 strikes and you account gets killed?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

I'm already screwed if I clicked the link aren't I

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

people log into youtube, what the heck for? you watching adult content on there?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

How widespread is this?

I only have one ad blocker and it's a popular one, and I haven't gotten an interruption in ads being blocked on Youtube.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Started happening to me yesterday across various methods. I'm team gently caress 'em.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Okay, I've tried a lot, but I can't send anything whatsoever using their Send Feedback feature, both off of the dumbass pop-up and the one in the user control panel. If someone can send feedback telling them to, and I quote, "snort my asscrack," I would be very appreciative. :thanks:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

How widespread is this?

I only have one ad blocker and it's a popular one, and I haven't gotten an interruption in ads being blocked on Youtube.

I haven't gotten it yet but YouTube always rolls out it's shittifications in batches to random segments at a time.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
They are coming. There are drums. Drums in the deep.

[Ad Blocker] YOU! SHALL! NOT! PASS!!!.

The Ad blocker falls, and as it does so says one thing:

New InPrivate Window you fools.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Scam Likely posted:

I primarily watch Youtube for the long hair gun fanatic goon...

Fabulousity posted:

As subscribers go up the chances that the streamer will be outed as a sex pest, domestic abuser, or a Nazi starts to approach 1.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I feel my situation being the same as Viktor Vektor's in the new Cyberpunk 2077's DLC ending (spoiler: after years of fighting against the Zetatech corporation wanting to buy his clinic, he gives up out of exhaustion and accepts their offer).

I've been watching YT exclusively on my Samsung Smart TV, comfortably laying on my bed, for years now. I'm just tired, exhausted, completely destroyed by the constant need of muting the 35-40 seconds of unskippable commercials, having to reach for my remote while I'm (for example) washing the dishes, seeing any video constantly interrupted and my experience made effectively worse.

I'm just tired of fighing this war of attrition I've been enduring for years now. I'm considering trying the premium's free month, then giving them these loving monthly 12€ (I have no one to share a family plan with, and I'm no student).

I just want to point out that I don't feel treated well as a customer. I feel blackmailed, forced to sub and taken by exhaustion rather than being offered a valid deal, and this really saddens me. I feel treated like poo poo by Google's mafia behavior. If only they had a (let's say) 5€/month plan with only ads removal, not including the rest like originals/music/background play etc., I'd do it immediately. But the only thing I can do to preserve my mental stability is this.

I deeply apologize with everyone, guys. I feel weak and tired, powerless in the end of those american greedy corporates like if Cyberpunk 2077's dystopian future was already starting to happen. Good vibes to y'all, hoping for the future to get better and maybe some sort of revolution.

Peace out, everyone.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
google makes billions of dollars from knowing more about me than my family does. i think i will give them more money

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna be honest: running something like YT costs a shitton of money and it needs to be financed somehow. Since creating a good public video platform is unrealistic for so many reasons, a monthly subscription fee is probably the best we gonna get. You pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate + some markup and the company doesn't molest you with pointless ads or sells your deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammer or the Trump 2026 campaign. It's an ok deal

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah but they already do sell our deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammers or the Trump 2026 campaign.

I'm sure it's all deniable and pseudo anonymised and any illegal processing is done offshore by the purchaser, and honestly that most of the advertising potential isn't nearly as valuable as the industry has convinced itself it is...

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I wonder when and how this will manifest with third party apps, most Youtube I watch is through a third party app which I switched to because of ads.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm gonna be honest: running something like YT costs a shitton of money and it needs to be financed somehow. Since creating a good public video platform is unrealistic for so many reasons, a monthly subscription fee is probably the best we gonna get. You pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate + some markup and the company doesn't molest you with pointless ads or sells your deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammer or the Trump 2026 campaign. It's an ok deal

however will the multi billion dollar corporation fund youtube without predatory ads

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Until youtube starts getting greedy and starts serving ads to subs too, Ala Hulu.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What is this insane bootlicker poo poo where people think if they pay a subscription then they'll stop having their info harvested and sold for a pretty penny? "Oh no, we don't want too much money," said no corporate giant ever.

I don't give a gently caress about YouTube because they're making bank already. Instead of fighting for the big guy maybe think about the people making the actual poo poo that are definitely not getting their fair share.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah but they already do sell our deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammers or the Trump 2026 campaign.

I'm sure it's all deniable and pseudo anonymised and any illegal processing is done offshore by the purchaser, and honestly that most of the advertising potential isn't nearly as valuable as the industry has convinced itself it is...

It's one of those things that allows for perfectly timed, perfectly targeted, perfectly adjusted advertising that exactly matches your needs at a given moment, and then floods out any possibility of that every happening with a firehose of raw sewage blasting you in the face continuously.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, I was speaking hypothetically. I have no idea how exactly YT Red works. I don't really care enough about YT to pay for it.

I'm kinda fine with how it's implemented in Spotify though. You actually pay the company for the services you use and in exchange they don't do any shady poo poo to you and have an incentive to improve service quality instead of building another skinner box that will make your life worse. (Admittedly, Spotify doesn't really have a lot of data on me that they can sell so I don't worry about it. But with anything related to social media I would probably need some kind of independent auditing that confirms that data isn't sold or used for nefarious purposes like marketing)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

spotify also don't pay their artists poo poo so just use bandcamp and plexamp

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

You pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate + some markup and the company doesn't molest you with pointless ads or sells your deepest secrets and desires to tech support scammer or the Trump 2026 campaign. It's an ok deal

no, they want you to pay for the labor and traffic costs you generate and some markup and the company wants molest you with pointless ads and selling mined information to tech support scammers and other bad actors. It's an awful deal and only looking to get worse as time goes by. God forbid I don't want that loving oval office from Hobby Lobby being able to spam those loving "He Gets Us" ads on every goddamn platform

I guess getting irritated by that gets you marked as a whiner now though

temple
Jul 29, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

What is this insane bootlicker poo poo where people think if they pay a subscription then they'll stop having their info harvested and sold for a pretty penny? "Oh no, we don't want too much money," said no corporate giant ever.

I don't give a gently caress about YouTube because they're making bank already. Instead of fighting for the big guy maybe think about the people making the actual poo poo that are definitely not getting their fair share.
I lived through the 90s. The MegaCorps didn't create a new world order. They just really really like money.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

temple posted:

I really don't mind the ads

Give this man more ads

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I would do anything for YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I would do anything for YouTube a Klondike bar.

same.