Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Crash 1 was, like most first gen 3d games, an exercise in making something playable with the jump from 2d. On the technical side there is a series of articles about the development of it that are actually really quite interesting. But it certainly had some rough edges that got smoothed out in the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The development of all the crash games are fascinating. When universal realized Naughty Dog was leaving them they locked the team out of the offices necessitating CTR and 3 being finished in unair-conditioned hallways.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Got one for Baldur's Gate 3: The game is too dang huge. I'm 40 hours in and feel like now would be a good time to finish it up, but I basically only just started on Act 3, which if anything appears to be the biggest and most expansive act in the game. I'm invested enough in the story to want to see its conclusion, but Act 3 has completely deflated the pace of the plot. Even as I'm trying to basically speedrun the main quest the game keeps actively throwing poo poo in my way to do first.

In particular, one of the ways it tries to escalate the stakes is by throwing ever bigger combats at you, which take ages to resolve simply because you have to wait for the game to cycle through a dozen trash enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Got one for Baldur's Gate 3: The game is too dang huge. I'm 40 hours in and feel like now would be a good time to finish it up, but I basically only just started on Act 3, which if anything appears to be the biggest and most expansive act in the game. I'm invested enough in the story to want to see its conclusion, but Act 3 has completely deflated the pace of the plot. Even as I'm trying to basically speedrun the main quest the game keeps actively throwing poo poo in my way to do first.

In particular, one of the ways it tries to escalate the stakes is by throwing ever bigger combats at you, which take ages to resolve simply because you have to wait for the game to cycle through a dozen trash enemies.

You managed to reach act 3 in only 40 hours?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think I reached the end of act 1 at that point lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm playing the All The Mods modpack in Minecraft and the end game goal is to create a star that lets you create cheat items. Problem is that there is no in game guide to actually show you how to get to that point. There is a quest book but its "Main" part is just regular vanilla Minecraft progress that ends after getting the elytra. There is a handful of sections for the different mods that will guide you along but for most of the items needed you just have to see what is needed to craft what and work your way backwards in the recipe book.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Things dragging down Baldur's Gate 3: can't download a hojillion-gig game on lovely rural internet. :smith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging down Baldur's Gate 3: can't download a hojillion-gig game on lovely rural internet. :smith:

Think of it as a representation of the true D&D experience, being unable to get a group's schedule working week after week

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Been playing through a few different card games lately and I'm starting to get bummed out by how often I'm hitting bugs or stupid RNG.

Monster Train: it'll helpfully tell you when you're going to kill an enemy, an enemy is going to kill you, etc. with a red X over that minion. I'm fighting a few different minions with no special abilities that activate on kill, on taking damage, etc. There is zero information being displayed that things will go differently than the in-game damage prediction is saying. 2 enemies will be killed through the auto-combat this turn, one will be slightly damaged and proceed to the next floor. I use a card that buffs one of my guys and/or hurts one of the enemies, and now the indicators show all three monsters will die. Hands off the chess pieces, all three enemies have the X next to them that they will die. I hit "end turn" and the third monster moves up to the next floor of the train, only slightly damaged.

Slay the Spire: Downfall: sometimes cards just don't do what they say. Playing as the Slime Boss, his whole gimmick involves putting a debuff on enemies using Slime "lick" cards, they cost 0 mana to use and "exhaust" when played (card is discarded into the "exhaust" pile, which does not shuffle back into your main hand when you run out of cards). I got a card that takes all of the "lick" cards out of the Exhaust pile, and places them back into my hand. I hover the mouse over the "exhaust" pile, I can see 4 lick cards in there. I've only got 4 cards in my hand (well under hand-size limit). Enemies are extremely basic with no constraining/limiting abilities, I don't have any debuffs, nothing crazy going on. I play the Exhume card: no cards go into my hand.

Dawncaster: Same basic concept as StS, strikes/defends with melee/ranged/etc. affected by different card modifiers based on their classification. I grabbed a unique ability that makes all my non-basic melee attacks into ranged attacks, which synergizes with Ammo cards that give your ranged attacks special properties (deal X debuff, always crit, etc.) until you "reload" that ammo type. Fighting a hard boss that will absolutely kill me if I don't kill it first, with 3 attacks that don't do enough damage to kill it. I reload my ammo, which applies a buff to the next 3 attacks I make, which will push my damage into lethal territory. I play the first non-basic meleeranged attack, thanks to my passive ability, and it does not apply the buff. :geno:

I spent a few minutes after each of these trying to figure out what stupid little detail I missed, like a special enemy property/ability, a specific debuff I didn't look at in time, some type of card type/card effect mismatch that would prevent my cards from interacting with each other properly, and I came up blank. It was just supposed to do Thing X, and Thing Y happened instead. :psyduck:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It took me around thirty hours to reach act 3 in BG3, and I was fairly thorough, although it's just not a game you're going to see 100% of in one run. What are ya'll spending all that time doing?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Reloading, mostly

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Moon Monster posted:

What are ya'll spending all that time doing?

bears

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

It took me around thirty hours to reach act 3 in BG3, and I was fairly thorough, although it's just not a game you're going to see 100% of in one run. What are ya'll spending all that time doing?

Doubling back to sell literally everything that can be picked up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Moon Monster posted:

I guarantee you, you were not that thorough.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I guarantee you, you were not that thorough.

Try me

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Sometimes I walk into a room with 30 boxes and there’s gotta be something useful in one of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Same, but in real life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh man, a rotten mushroom and a spoon! I gotta be able to use this for something, right?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
When I finally made it to act 3 and finished my first fight, I started looting the bodies and then realized I already had like 12,000 gold. So no need to loot everything - that made act 3 way faster.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Give your money away to merchant until they are allies, then cast Feign Death on them and steal their entire inventory. Repeat until you have everything you like.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Oct 15, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Exploring everything, my final time was 110 hours and act 3 was by far the shortest because I started skipping content because I was max level within a few hours of starting it, having started it at level 11, and ended act 2 at level 10 halfway to level 11. :shepface: there's a lot of stuff to do in that game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh man, a rotten mushroom and a spoon! I gotta be able to use this for something, right?

Surely rope will have a use in this game, I say, foolishly. Climbing down tall places safely, tying up people, casting rope trick, all things I cannot do with these ropes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean to be fair BG3 does aggressively sell itself on being exactly the kind of game that would go "if you keep the sack of potatoes from the tutorial throughout the game you can romance the final boss and get a different ending" even disregarding the historical precedent of the pantaloons on BG1/2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
most of bayonetta origins' problems are at the conceptual level (it's a gentle PG-rated action/puzzle platformer that explains half of the third game's backstory despite coming out like six months later), but while it plays well, if you actively try to go for the collectibles then you're going to have a bad time. the map is extremely unhelpful for showing where to find items, with little to no demarcation for terrain and invisible walls/impassable inclines everywhere, and it's also not continuous, which is a problem since the pathway for a lot of goodies snakes in and out of different zones. there's also only one quick-travel point per zone and not nearly enough shortcuts, with fodder enemies constantly harassing you as you try to backtrack, and most of them warp you to a combat arena so you can't even run past them

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Baldur's Gate 3: Okay this is now three times that I've somehow been locked out of a rejection/'pick a fight' option in a situation that I know I really should have. First Priestess Gut, then Volo wanting to perform an ice pick lobotomy, and now it's Grandma What's-Her-Name. This is more than just a bug.

My best guess is that the developers don't actually expect someone to be curious and asking questions about something they're going to reject afterwards, so they front-load the 'gently caress you say hello to my knife' options, and then just stop providing them after a point even if it's blatantly obvious that I should be saying no to this person, or that there's literally a quest objective around confronting/attacking this person about something else.

Either that, or BG3's writers expect me to be way more okay with blatantly untrustworthy and unqualified attempts to perform eye surgery on me than I am. Because that's the only other common thread here.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Cleretic posted:

Either that, or BG3's writers expect me to be way more okay with blatantly untrustworthy and unqualified attempts to perform eye surgery on me than I am. Because that's the only other common thread here.

just take the L(ost eye) it's worth it I promise

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

just make lae'zel take the cool magic fake eye for the team that's what i did

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Baldur's Gate 3: Okay this is now three times that I've somehow been locked out of a rejection/'pick a fight' option in a situation that I know I really should have. First Priestess Gut, then Volo wanting to perform an ice pick lobotomy, and now it's Grandma What's-Her-Name. This is more than just a bug.

My best guess is that the developers don't actually expect someone to be curious and asking questions about something they're going to reject afterwards, so they front-load the 'gently caress you say hello to my knife' options, and then just stop providing them after a point even if it's blatantly obvious that I should be saying no to this person, or that there's literally a quest objective around confronting/attacking this person about something else.

Sounds like you're trusting people then going "wait no maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this" after they whip out the ol' lobotomy knife.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Sounds like you're trusting people then going "wait no maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this" after they whip out the ol' lobotomy knife.

why do so many people have one of those

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

"wait no maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this" after they whip out the ol' lobotomy knifedrill.

Me at the dentist

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

You do know there’s a dedicated swap to someone else and start a fight button in the dialogue interface, right? Like it’s on the lower left for me, on PC. They don’t provide one in the dialogue tree at all times because it’s always there. (It’s set up this way so a face can distract people while a rogue looks in their pockets or stabs them.)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I thought I remembered the Volo surgery bit having a “wait I changed my mind” dialogue at basically every step.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I thought I remembered the Volo surgery bit having a “wait I changed my mind” dialogue at basically every step.

You get one chance to say 'No' at the beginning once you've laid down and he unsheathes the needle.

And then another one after he's started. And then another one. One more to make sure you're committed. DJ Khaled voice Another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8IQ3RhlTE

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

You get one chance to say 'No' at the beginning once you've laid down and he unsheathes the needle.

And then another one after he's started. And then another one. One more to make sure you're committed. DJ Khaled voice Another one.

For reference the dedicated "start a fight" button I mentioned is that crossed-swords one. I just tried it in my own game, turns out you don't even need to swap people! It just starts a fight, period.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

The choice I'm at is at 48 seconds in. And I can tell you right now that none of those options are 'no'; you get the immediate eject button, but Volo never stops offering it. It's more 'not right now' than it is 'not at all'.

The grandma's in a similar state: all the options are either 'inquire further' or 'leave for now', there's no outright rejections or way to pursue the subject of that lady she kidnapped as an entirely unrelated thing.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 16, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

If you’re a coward, maybe.

Let the unqualified bard dig around in your grey matter with an icepick of dubious cleanliness or the Absolute wins.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Volo's Guide to the Fissure of Rolando

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
AC: Odyssey: Was there ever a worse leveling mechanic in any game, ever? It has absolutely no upside; all it does is make enemies virtually invincible unless you're within 2-3 levels of theirs and your old weapons/armor useless after a level or 2. It also only works one way because lower-level enemies scale with you. I'd love some rubberbanding normally but enemies are already damage sponges so I really wouldn't mind SOME of them becoming vulnerable to being stabbed in the head at some point. As it is I can barely assassinate anyone in my assassin game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really sad that I chickened out at the last step, for the spoilery reason as well as the "he seemed so confident and then disappointed he failed you" reason(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CordlessPen posted:

AC: Odyssey: Was there ever a worse leveling mechanic in any game, ever? It has absolutely no upside; all it does is make enemies virtually invincible unless you're within 2-3 levels of theirs and your old weapons/armor useless after a level or 2. It also only works one way because lower-level enemies scale with you. I'd love some rubberbanding normally but enemies are already damage sponges so I really wouldn't mind SOME of them becoming vulnerable to being stabbed in the head at some point. As it is I can barely assassinate anyone in my assassin game.

I think Oblivion takes the cake. Enemies scaled to your level but you could level up doing things not directly related to fighting so you could get progressively weaker against enemies.