Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gonna play zealot this week but i reiterate my criticism of its skill tree not being as diverse as vet or ogryn

like, it's p funny that the skill tree for the Lovable Big Dumbass lets you play more styles than the zealot, but also that's good social commentary probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mahasamatman posted:

The Rumbler is insanely good now. Direct hits 1shot a reaper with unyielding/carapace adhesive/rending. You can stumble and blast the poo poo out of monstrosities too.

Shots blocked by the shield with the taunt on block talent cause shot gunners and nonspecials to put away their guns and walk toward you.

Ogryn is in great shape.

Personal gripe: shield blocks so much of my view I miss guys. VT didn’t seem to be as bad. Loving the Ogryn but sticking with either the cleaver or power maul. Wish Ogryns would get a chain axe as those weapons are just so 40k to me. Question: if I stick to MK V or earlier Ripper Gun am I hurting myself? Still new to this game on xBox and like the mk5 more than the later shotgun variant with the alt fire. Do the different versions of the double stubba differ that much? Enjoying the Dakka but my stubba is getting old.

Vet talk: really like the las carbine ever since I unlocked it - even more than the hellbore. Tried the bolter and plasma gun but it just didn’t grab me. Am I being silly? Just really like my fast blinking flashlight. Still love the chainsword for melee. Knife was cool too but just something about revving that blade to take on specials.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

DogsInSpace! posted:

Personal gripe: shield blocks so much of my view I miss guys. VT didn’t seem to be as bad. Loving the Ogryn but sticking with either the cleaver or power maul. Wish Ogryns would get a chain axe as those weapons are just so 40k to me. Question: if I stick to MK V or earlier Ripper Gun am I hurting myself? Still new to this game on xBox and like the mk5 more than the later shotgun variant with the alt fire. Do the different versions of the double stubba differ that much? Enjoying the Dakka but my stubba is getting old.

Vet talk: really like the las carbine ever since I unlocked it - even more than the hellbore. Tried the bolter and plasma gun but it just didn’t grab me. Am I being silly? Just really like my fast blinking flashlight. Still love the chainsword for melee. Knife was cool too but just something about revving that blade to take on specials.

The different mark variants of the guns aren't necessarily better the bigger the mark number, they just do different things.

Mk 2 ripper is the close range version while the Mk 5 ripper has really accurate hip fire and high ROF for less damage per shot and the Mk 6 ripper is the 2 round burst hipfire full auto alt fire.

Same deal with the stubbas, the Achlys is the higher ROF higher ammo less damage one, the Krourk is the medium one and the Gorgunum the heavy damage slower ROF one.

As you level just grab the gear with the biggest power level and then when you get to 30 you can worry about fleshing out the gear with blessings and the like - at 30 none of the gear will be under 300 rating and can go up to 380.

You do have it right that recon lasguns are really solid single target DPS on Veteran and the chainsword rules.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Sestze posted:

i got the opportunity to roll up a new character to play with a friend, and i sauntered over to the Commissary to pick up some crap for the new character.

The traitor from the main storyline is the vendor! They turn her into a servitor after Rannick puts a bullet through her back

I thought that was a neat touch. She has voice lines and everything.

oh poo poo nice catch

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Recon lasgun slaps and is a lot more like how I always imagined regular lasguns working. No recoil, an almost continuous weak laser beam just sweeping around

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The different mark variants of the guns aren't necessarily better the bigger the mark number, they just do different things.

Mk 2 ripper is the close range version while the Mk 5 ripper has really accurate hip fire and high ROF for less damage per shot and the Mk 6 ripper is the 2 round burst hipfire full auto alt fire.

Same deal with the stubbas, the Achlys is the higher ROF higher ammo less damage one, the Krourk is the medium one and the Gorgunum the heavy damage slower ROF one.

As you level just grab the gear with the biggest power level and then when you get to 30 you can worry about fleshing out the gear with blessings and the like - at 30 none of the gear will be under 300 rating and can go up to 380.

You do have it right that recon lasguns are really solid single target DPS on Veteran and the chainsword rules.

Just like VT. Easy enough. Now we just need someone shouting “Ser Krubah” as they charge. Thank you for the info.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Recon lasgun slaps and is a lot more like how I always imagined regular lasguns working. No recoil, an almost continuous weak laser beam just sweeping around
Big same. Bolter and Plasma might be cool for someone else but nothing beats a former Guard using his trusty las and a chainsword. Just need screams of terror. Are they adding a 5th class? Marine would be too OP but a SoB might work. Rattling? Tech Priest? Also add a Tanith skin dammit!

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

The Demilich posted:

Speed demon bleeding knife zealot owns, and auric 5 is fun with a team of equal skill.

I only play public games and yesterday was rough since I lost 6 games in a row due to pubbies, but today I got some decent players who knew how to actually stick together so we have 3 wins out of 3 games.

This sounds like my kind of jam and zealot will be the next one I finish getting to 30, what kind of build/blessings are you using?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sisters of Battle would be cool but the missions they send you on seem to be somewhat beneath what they normally do. A mission with one Chaos Marine boss at the end would be fun.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I only play public games

Why on earth would you do this to yourself.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Game needs a power fist.

Also an Ogryn 'power fist' thats just a can of paint for your hands

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just want a 2H Chainaxe for my zealot and/or Ogryn.

and different assassination bosses...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DogsInSpace! posted:

Just like VT. Easy enough. Now we just need someone shouting “Ser Krubah” as they charge. Thank you for the info.

Big same. Bolter and Plasma might be cool for someone else but nothing beats a former Guard using his trusty las and a chainsword. Just need screams of terror. Are they adding a 5th class? Marine would be too OP but a SoB might work. Rattling? Tech Priest? Also add a Tanith skin dammit!

My guess is that if they add a fifth class the most likely candidates would be either a Ratling Sniper, or possibly some sort of Combat Servitor(even an initiate Tech Priest seems a bit above the pay grade of what the Rejects/Acolytes are doing but having something playable related to the Mechanicus is too obvious to leave out entirely), though going out of left field and doing something with one of the more obscure kinds of Abhuman isn't entirely impossible(particularly when at least one of them has been directly mentioned in Darktide already with the Felinids), or maybe even something involving the returned Squats

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before we get a new class.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
well at least zealot is still a fuckin beast at clutch gaming, jeez. thank you stun grenades, charges, and mercy invincibility

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
We're the lackeys of an Inquisitor trying to win an increasingly-desperate planetary war against demons; with that in mind, the sky's the loving limit for who could show up to help.

-Sisters of Battle? I could totally see some Novitiates (rookies) getting commandeered for wacky suicide missions for Grendyl. Bonus points if the talent tree could allow for Repentia builds.
-Hulking experimental combat Servitors suffering from Robocop-itis? Hell yeah, let them share weapons with the Ogryn so everyone can haul around heavy bolters and repurposed construction tools.
-Kroot mercenaries? No problem, we have loads of meat just lying around and if anyone complains they can take it up with the local Shaper.
-Literal "Hellraiser Cenobite" Dark Eldar? Nobody would bat an eye.
-Demon-possessed lunatics on the verge of exploding into a chaos meat-portal? Inquisitors have done worse.

Personally I'm gunning for a Beastman abhuman so we can enjoy ridiculous arguments with the Ogryn.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is that if they add a fifth class the most likely candidates would be either a Ratling Sniper, or possibly some sort of Combat Servitor(even an initiate Tech Priest seems a bit above the pay grade of what the Rejects/Acolytes are doing but having something playable related to the Mechanicus is too obvious to leave out entirely), though going out of left field and doing something with one of the more obscure kinds of Abhuman isn't entirely impossible(particularly when at least one of them has been directly mentioned in Darktide already with the Felinids), or maybe even something involving the returned Squats

The problem with the Mechanicus related rejects is that, the Mechanicus are beside Imperial law.
When they gently caress up, they are more likely to either be demoted to servitor-shiner or Servitor, than they ever are to become a common criminal within the Imperium.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Legit Businessman posted:

No one I know plays the game tbh. I had a solid irl Vermintide group for 1 & 2, but Darktide's launch was frankly disastrous and actually killed my group for the most part.

Pesterchum posted:

This sounds like my kind of jam and zealot will be the next one I finish getting to 30, what kind of build/blessings are you using?

Please note I don't really consider this optimized, I'm sure there's nodes that would be a better choice and blessings/perks on items that would be more optimal as well.

drrockso20 posted:

Should be an undercover genestealer cultist so we can get a bunch of funny lines

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ssthalar posted:

The problem with the Mechanicus related rejects is that, the Mechanicus are beside Imperial law.
When they gently caress up, they are more likely to either be demoted to servitor-shiner or Servitor, than they ever are to become a common criminal within the Imperium.

Honestly that's exactly why I'm leaning towards playable Mechanicus representation being in the form of Combat Servitors(as it would be a logical expansion of the role that Hadron serves as part of Grendyl's group), though I'm also figuring they'd have a completely different set of story bits and bobs than the regular Rejects, same for anything else that's too exotic to fit within the existing Reject to Acolyte storyline*

Would be fun if it also led to them adding some Dark Mechanicus enemies to the roster as well

*which is why Ratlings and other Abhumans would be the easiest ones to add as you could just use the existing story as is aside from new dialogue, while with more elite Imperium subfactions or Squat or Xenos Mercenaries you'd need to make new story content to properly fit them into things

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure hell will freeze over before we get a new class.

There's only so much more they can add to the existing 4 classes with future updates and much like Vermintide 2 they clearly intend this to be a long term project, so adding additional classes is a likely way to do so(and is basically an extension of what they've been doing with VT2 and occasionally adding new careers to each character)

ChickenHeart posted:

We're the lackeys of an Inquisitor trying to win an increasingly-desperate planetary war against demons; with that in mind, the sky's the loving limit for who could show up to help.

-Sisters of Battle? I could totally see some Novitiates (rookies) getting commandeered for wacky suicide missions for Grendyl. Bonus points if the talent tree could allow for Repentia builds.
-Hulking experimental combat Servitors suffering from Robocop-itis? Hell yeah, let them share weapons with the Ogryn so everyone can haul around heavy bolters and repurposed construction tools.
-Kroot mercenaries? No problem, we have loads of meat just lying around and if anyone complains they can take it up with the local Shaper.
-Demon-possessed lunatics on the verge of exploding into a chaos meat-portal? Inquisitors have done worse.

Personally I'm gunning for a Beastman abhuman so we can enjoy ridiculous arguments with the Ogryn.

True(man imagine how everyone's reaction would be if they were to go with something truly bonkers like a Jokaero) though I figure they will try to stay relatively grounded considering some of their statements regarding avoiding Space Marines(either loyalist or traitor), at least for the time being

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Only War had rules for lathe world guardsmen, who are semi-skitarii cyborg guys, I could see one of them as a "low level" techpriest

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The tricky part about new classes is probably gonna be giving them a unique hook to distinguish them from the existing ones (which are thematically pretty broad), but ideally without also pigeonholing them into a very narrow playstyle. Something like a Ratling would be a pretty obvious fit, but you gotta find a way to not make that redundant with stealth Veteran builds. Same with Servitor vs. Ogryn, Novitiate vs. Zealot, and so on.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The tricky part about new classes is probably gonna be giving them a unique hook to distinguish them from the existing ones (which are thematically pretty broad), but ideally without also pigeonholing them into a very narrow playstyle. Something like a Ratling would be a pretty obvious fit, but you gotta find a way to not make that redundant with stealth Veteran builds. Same with Servitor vs. Ogryn, Novitiate vs. Zealot, and so on.

Which makes Gretchin the obvious choice. Bad at everything, but becomes good through coincidence and hilarity.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

comedy option: ork mercenary

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
What counts as "continous fire", and why does the Rumbler, a one-shot/reload weapon, get a blessing for continuous fire? Is it just stupidly worded and it works on a single shot since thats what counts as "continuos" for a one-shot gun?

Edit: Ratling class only if they can sit on ogryn shoulders masterblaster style

Edit edit: Its kind of sad that the only available commisary weapon cosmetics are still the same ones from launch. Surely it can't be that much effort to whip up some paintjobs for existing weapons in a year.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Perestroika posted:

True but Fatshark has shown they can pull that sort of thing off, after all Vermintide 2 managed to make three different melee only careers feel pretty distinct between each other, and while the talent trees of the Darktide classes are broad, I'd say there's more than enough creative space for them to add at least one or two more classes before things potentially get redundant

And that's only looking at talents, for example both Ratlings and some sort of Mechanicus related class would offer plenty of new potential weapons that would enable them to play distinctly from the existing four

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

A "tech savant" would be a pretty easy insert that doesn't break the lore or demand Mechanicus specifics.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do other Zealots feel about the fire grenade? I can detour my build to pick it up instead of stun grenades if I drop Redoubled Zeal, trying it out in the meat grinder it seems pretty strong.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Reiley posted:

How do other Zealots feel about the fire grenade? I can detour my build to pick it up instead of stun grenades if I drop Redoubled Zeal, trying it out in the meat grinder it seems pretty strong.

It's fine, but can be confusing since the colors are so similar to Bad Fire. I prefer the utility of the Stunstorm grenade. Being able to shut a mob down is very useful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
it's true, the space molotov wont do poo poo to mauler/crusher packs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thirsty Dog posted:

A "tech savant" would be a pretty easy insert that doesn't break the lore or demand Mechanicus specifics.

I mean a lot of the appeal of doing something Mechanicus related is that they have a lot of fun toys that would otherwise be a bit hard to justify being accessible

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I wana be a weird cyborg person!! Lore can kiss my rear end!!!!! Gimme weird stilt legs for all I care

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I mean a lot of the appeal of doing something Mechanicus related is that they have a lot of fun toys that would otherwise be a bit hard to justify being accessible

True, Mechanicus anything opens up a whole family of fun and terrifying lightning and radiation based weapons. :unsmigghh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ChickenHeart posted:

I don't think these would really fit the vibe. Send a dark eldar like that out on a mission with a zealot and an imperial ogryn and there's gonna be an unfriendly fire incident.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
A single skitarii would probably be on a similar power level as the rest of the gang, and its not unreasonable that one would be attached to an inquisitor. Would break the "reject" mold completely though and then the main darktide narrative (lol) doesnt make sense.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Oh no, that's not a problem at all. The presence of an inquisitor opens that door already, it's canonical that they hoard mad tech poo poo and weapons of dubious provenance. There's almost nothing you couldn't do with a tech savant that you could do with a Mechanicus character in Darktide.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fishstick posted:

A single skitarii would probably be on a similar power level as the rest of the gang, and its not unreasonable that one would be attached to an inquisitor. Would break the "reject" mold completely though and then the main darktide narrative (lol) doesnt make sense.

One who committed some kind of tech-heresy or something, imo. Doesn't have to come from the prison ship, can be sent to the rejects by Hadron or something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All the game needs right now is for them to surprise us with another Chaos wastes level addition to the game where we do a little rogue-like adventure through half a dozen short maps gaining weird powerups during the run,
that or just making it so the new maps are randomly put together out of prefab sections instead of being the exact same mission each time.

Signs right now are pointing towards them adding a genestealer faction to the game and you might have nurgle vs genestealer fights you'd walk into.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Legit Businessman posted:

I mostly just play in public games myself lately and it's fine :shrug:

Sometimes you get a level 13 player in damnation and it's fun to try to get them over the finish line.

Reiley posted:

It's probably the worst of the three options because of the (initially) confusing SFX, especially if there's a whole bunch of bombers nearby while you're trying to save a teammate. Mostly I only pick it if I'm short on talent points and am going for the middle aura (which I often do to be fair because I'm addicted to the reload perk + revolver :v:)

It's still pretty decent though as long as you throw it in advance; it basically kills everything except Crushers fairly quickly if you actually fight in the flames yourself. It's just lacking the utility value that stun grenades or even the throwing daggers have.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gunlugger ogryn is fun and strong but experimenting a lot with other ogryn builds I think its capstone and active ability need a bit of a boost. Extra fire rate and flame stacks/rending along with a few guaranteed crits and ammo return do make for better shooting, but the different talents you pick up on the way in that side of the tree going down to gun side I think you can pick the important ones out in any build, and the talents on the melee side of the tree boost melee a lot more than the gun side boosts guns. That and the ogryn guns are already strong enough I think its very viable to just pick up extra ammo on the gunner side of the tree and focus more on melee and youll still be able to do a lot of gun work with say the gorgunum or grenade gauntlet.

A fun hybrid build I've been doing is one that grabs the early skills on the gun side of the tree, takes the taunt shout for the extra 25% damage, and then goes down the left side to turbo charge the melee.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 16, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

this is p much my trench raider build, so called because i use the knife with the handguard that makes it look like a big ole trench knife and a ripper gun for the shotgun part. it's a great generalist build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, left side Ogyn tree is a bit weaker compared to middle right side because it locks you out of soften them up and 25% more ammo and while the gun ult will burn even bosses fast it really doesn't help you if you get surrounded in a bad situation like the other two abilities can.