Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

who ever they ripped off they did a good job cause the matrix owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Popy posted:

who ever they ripped off they did a good job cause the matrix owns

i think it would be vastly better movie if they actually went with using human minds as biological cpu's in a bitcoin-rear end data center instead of batteries cuz at least that would make sense, but yeah it's so good. some really bad CGi aside (mostly face morphing stuff), it holds up extremely well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i think it would be vastly better movie if they actually went with using human minds as biological cpu's in a bitcoin-rear end data center instead of batteries cuz at least that would make sense, but yeah it's so good. some really bad CGi aside (mostly face morphing stuff), it holds up extremely well.

the courtyard steel pole fight scene in matrix 2 has some of the worst cgi ever so the original holds up even better in the face of that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Xaris posted:

We can just pretend Morpheus was wrong about that. He was wrong about everything else.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

the courtyard steel pole fight scene in matrix 2 has some of the worst cgi ever so the original holds up even better in the face of that

oh yeah definitely. i can't rewatch 2/3. they're really bad. i know i know goons hype up the highway scene or merovengian but i still dont think those are good enough to re-watch 2, it just sucks. i liked m4trix wel enough, but i feel it's kinda a one-time m night shamalayn gimmick

ive seen 1 probably a dozen times though

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Oct 16, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

We can just pretend Morpheus was wrong about that. He was wrong about everything else.

Well yeah, never get trapped in a conversation about philosophy with a random stranger giving you random pills.

Like they're just generally gonna be talking a whole lot of poo poo. Although like if you're in the mood to talk a whole lot of poo poo with someone I mean chat away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

oh yeah definitely. i can't rewatch 2/3. they're really bad. i know i know goons hype up the highway scene or merovengian but i still dont think those are good enough to re-watch 2, it just sucks

Matrix 2 is a foundational movie for me bc it was the first time in my life up to that point that I watched a movie and realized movies could be bad lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Matrix 2 is a foundational movie for me bc it was the first time in my life up to that point that I watched a movie and realized movies could be bad lol.

lol everyone needs this lesson

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is this not the coolest scene ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12u1nA7bXzc

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

In Training posted:

Ghostbusters 2 was this for me.

I really love the Matrix sequels tho. I think Reloaded is the best of the trilogy. 3rd one was a little rushed with some of the CGI, but whatever.

I don't think Reloaded gets enough credit for clowning on the prophecy/chosen one cliches in movies and storytelling in general. It was subverting expectations back when Star Wars was still making GBS threads out prequels!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

existenz is the matrix if it was a good movie

bound was decent, dunno what happened to the wachowskis that they fell off so hard afterward

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Morpheus was actually right about everything because the sequels didn’t happen. The Matrix ended with Neo revealing the truth to all humanity by flying around in public while Rage Against the Machine plays.
The Matrix is one of those movies whose endings is so conclusive that any sequel has to ignore that it happened.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Animatrix is peak Matrix and peak anime

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

insane clown pussy posted:

bound was decent, dunno what happened to the wachowskis that they fell off so hard afterward

Matrix 1 and Bound are the good ones. What do they have in common? Joe Pantoliano.

Makes you think
Maybe he touched up the scripts or something

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
he famously tries to plug himself into camera view every chance he gets, that's just the power of the pants, baby

see also: the fugitive

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

The Animatrix is peak Matrix and peak anime

Yup. It's wild they didn't pursue more animation like this.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

sometimes you have to take these things step by step, day by day

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbICk05yPk

This is one of my favorite Youtube supercuts. Reminds me of watching Adult Swim in high school.

Chris Latta was really good at yelling.

Lol. Guy should hire less FOOLS.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

insane clown pussy posted:

that's right

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

watching THE NET feat. SANDRA BULLOCK. the net seems more relevant today than when it came out. cyberbob ftw and rip. slightly Marxist (Ruth Marx).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lol there's a sequel to the net
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Net_2.0

quote:

The Net 2.0 is a 2006 direct-to-video mystery thriller film written and produced by Rob Cowan and directed by Charles Winkler. It is nominally a sequel to the 1995 film The Net directed by his father Irwin Winkler (who produced this film), but has a separate and unrelated plot. The story concerns a computer systems analyst who finds herself in a web of identity theft, robbery, and murder when she lands in Turkey for a new job.

The movie opens with a scene of a young woman running from her pursuers in the streets of Istanbul. She is captured and imprisoned, accused of various crimes, and questioned by Dr. Kavak. Desperate to save herself, she starts her story in a series of flashbacks.

The protagonist is Hope Cassidy (played by Nikki DeLoach), a young computer systems analyst. Looking for excitement in her life, she accepts a well-paying job in Istanbul at Suzer International, where she will begin by securing the Internet network of a Russian company. She tries to convince her boyfriend, James, to go with her, but he is reluctant and she breaks off their relationship. While she is talking to him at a café, her laptop crashes and then reloads, a small incident she ignores.

While flying alone the next day, she checks her bank account online. A friendly stewardess, Roxelena (Şebnem Dönmez) serves her champagne and gives her a bracelet as a gift. As they talk, we see the money in her accounts drop to zero. When Hope arrives in Istanbul Airport, she is told by the immigration officer that she has a tourist visa, which cannot be used for working purposes, and is advised to go to the American consulate in order to have her soon-expiring passport renewed. Exiting the airport, Hope is approached by a taxi driver who takes her to the Sultanahmet Palace Hotel in Istanbul, where he says the Americans love to stay. Hope gets a room and as soon as she lies down the fire alarm rings, forcing everyone to evacuate. Hope is told that the guests will have to stay out for almost an hour. Hope then meets an American known as Z.Z. Jackson (Keegan Connor Tracy). They take a walk in the park and come across a merchant selling scarves.

When Hope returns to her hotel room to get her passport, she discovers the new one issued by the American consulate contains the wrong name. It seems that her identity has been stolen. She visits the company that has offered her the job, but finds that Z.Z. is working there under the name Hope Cassidy. She discovers $40,000,000 in her bank account and certain people are out to kill her. All people who knew her are found dead, including the taxi driver whom she met at the airport, who turns out to be a police officer. The police and Dr. Kavak don't believe her explanations, and accuse her of murdering the taxi driver and the woman now impersonating her, Z.Z.. After an incident during Hope's interrogation, she is given an injection which puts her to sleep. She then wakes up in a hotel room with her boyfriend, James, at her side. He tries to reassure her that everything has been sorted out, but something in his speech makes her suspicious.

It turns out that he and Dr. Kavak (Demet Akbag) are behind the conspiracy against her, because they wanted her skills in order to have money embezzled from Ivanakov, a Russian arms dealer. Hope is taken to the bank in order to withdraw the money, but they are confronted by the Russians on their way out. Hope appears to be killed in the conflict but awakens in the ambulance, having staged her own death so that the mafia would stop hunting her. By her side is Roxelena, the stewardess, an Interpol agent who reveals that thanks to the bracelet she gave her in the airplane (which was in fact a homing beacon), her whereabouts were known to the police at all times. She leaves Istanbul with a new identity, enjoying her first class flight back home, in front of her laptop screen that reveals a bank account balance of five million dollars.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

War and Pieces posted:

crazy that The Invisibles had Epstein type poo poo in the 90's

I mean everyone has always known about this poo poo, I remember Epstein/Clinton jokes well before he got pinched. any arrests and punishments are completely arbitrary. the Catholic Church went a whole millennium of running a child abuse protection ring before they caught any poo poo

yeah it's fully sick

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

the superior 2.0 movie, the connoisseur's 2.0 movie,

https://i.imgur.com/OjtL8Dz.mp4

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I remember after watching The Matrix that it felt like Hollywood finally got what made Hong Kong and Chinese action movies so good.

But then more crap with underwhelming action choreography and overblown camera angles came and I realized it was more about who was smart enough to hire Yuen Woo Ping.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Another thought on The Culture:

Hydrogen Sonata is the second Culture book I've read, and the first one that has ships as major characters. I just read a part where some of these ships are discussing how weird another ship is acting and one of them is like "what do you expect, his crew is only five people, of course he's gonna turn oddball. You need lots of humans around or they get weird and it makes you weird too." This was striking to me because before this none of the ship characters seemed to have any humans on board at ALL for how little they seem to think or talk about their crews. The subject of any of them being crewed by people had simply never come up.

It must be weird working on a Culture ship, really; the ship is the one that decides where you go and what you do and I guess you're just there to, like, swab its deck? Are there any books that explore this concept in more depth because if so I wanna read that next

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

matrix is, for me at least, an example of a "perfect" movie. same with og willy wonka, gently caress that movie is an all-timer

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

matrix is, for me at least, an example of a "perfect" movie. same with og willy wonka, gently caress that movie is an all-timer

:same:

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

loquacius posted:

Hydrogen Sonata is the second Culture book I've read, and the first one that has ships as major characters. I just read a part where some of these ships are discussing how weird another ship is acting and one of them is like "what do you expect, his crew is only five people, of course he's gonna turn oddball. You need lots of humans around or they get weird and it makes you weird too." This was striking to me because before this none of the ship characters seemed to have any humans on board at ALL for how little they seem to think or talk about their crews. The subject of any of them being crewed by people had simply never come up.

It must be weird working on a Culture ship, really; the ship is the one that decides where you go and what you do and I guess you're just there to, like, swab its deck? Are there any books that explore this concept in more depth because if so I wanna read that next

Excession probably has the most ship-on-ship interaction, if you're down to read sci-fi IRC logs.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

loquacius posted:

they don’t even swab the deck. they just hang around and the ship feeds them and cleans up after them and keeps them from unintentionally dying. humans are pets. everyone dreams of being in Contact so that they can briefly feel like they’re not entirely pets. any labor you do outside of Contact (and even much within it) is just a hobby with no actual impact on anyone’s material conditions.

Best Friends has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Oct 16, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love the idea of living a long full happy life where the sun is always in the sky on a Culture ship while it's fighting with somebody real slow

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Xaris posted:

oh yeah definitely. i can't rewatch 2/3. they're really bad. i know i know goons hype up the highway scene or merovengian but i still dont think those are good enough to re-watch 2, it just sucks. i liked m4trix wel enough, but i feel it's kinda a one-time m night shamalayn gimmick

the scene with the Merovingian hacking a girl to have an orgasm from chocolate cake is a little more interesting knowing now that the wachowskis were probably in really deep dysphoria at the time

I really like the janky machine gun exoskeletons and the dock fight scenes, the cgi in them is phenomenal unlike the totally bizarre garbage burly brawl work. the architect scenes were fun, the dialogue is like a 2nd year community college english major wrote them trying to sound really smart. it works.

overall the matrix sequels (meaning 2 & 3) were ok but uneven. 3 out of 5. the matrix 4 was dreck and instantly forgettable.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

The Matrix Ruled. The sequels had their issues, but the original was amazing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the burly brawl looks fine imo. it's well-choreographed fight.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

"why would godlike AIs give a poo poo about people" and "what would it mean to live in a society where said godlike AIs fundamentally change what it means to have agency" are two of the biggest background themes of the series as a whole and come up to an extent in nearly every book. Excession is probably the one with the most direct discussion of it, but it's a big part of Look to Windward as well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My fav matt berry is still Dr Sanchez in Garth Marenghi

"You and he were... buddies... Weren't you?"

"then I won't stand in your waaaaay."

Are stuck in my head forever

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wife and I are watching Supernatural for October. I've forgotten how good the first season is.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Wife and I are watching Supernatural for October. I've forgotten how good the first season is.

Supernatural is unrepentant horror trash and revels in that in just a really great way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

dr_rat posted:

Supernatural is unrepentant horror trash and revels in that in just a really great way.

Just 2 boys trying to find their lovely dad.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

supernatural should’ve ended after the fifth season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Post Malone snorted cocaine off the stage floor