Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

y'all really need to add the gimmick troll account to your ignore list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the systemd configuration syntax is based on microsoft .ini files which iirc is one of the reasons the devuan and "veteran unix admins" sickos hate systemd, because they also hate microsoft of course

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

but like nearly every config file I've seen borrows that syntax, there aren't very many ways to format configuration files (edit: without doing sicker poo poo like json or xml that is)

oh no you can't use equal signs, microsoft uses those!!!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 12, 2023

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Systemd is cool and good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sys my d

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you don’t like systemd there’s always OpenRC ahahaha.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

oh no you can't use equal signs, microsoft uses those!!!

exactly, you've got spaces (resolv.conf), colons (passwd/shadow), whatever sick poo poo is going on in sudoers, etc. etc. the specific syntax used by systemd (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.syntax.html) isn't really used by anything else on a linux system except like XDG stuff and stuff that's intentionally chosen to model itself on systemd's syntax. a lot of this 90's stuff on a linux system is based on 80's unix stuff not 90's microsoft stuff

like all these shell fragments in /etc/default/ aren't the same as .ini files because they use equal signs when assigning to a variable

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

maybe .ini files are more common in stuff implemented in python since they have an .ini style parser in the standard library idk

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

shackleford posted:

exactly, you've got spaces (resolv.conf), colons (passwd/shadow), whatever sick poo poo is going on in sudoers, etc. etc. the specific syntax used by systemd (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.syntax.html) isn't really used by anything else on a linux system except like XDG stuff and stuff that's intentionally chosen to model itself on systemd's syntax. a lot of this 90's stuff on a linux system is based on 80's unix stuff not 90's microsoft stuff

like all these shell fragments in /etc/default/ aren't the same as .ini files because they use equal signs when assigning to a variable

I mean like mysql/mariadb but I guess the people who hate systemd because equals signs aren't the type who use a server os for server things

edit: I previously said apache but I was mistaken, dunno what I was thinking (probably samba but that doesn't count since it's a microsoft protocol to begin with so that's cheating) but if the delimiter between key value pairs is a dealbreaker for people I don't even know what to say

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 12, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

shackleford posted:

maybe .ini files are more common in stuff implemented in python since they have an .ini style parser in the standard library idk

Rust also uses TOML

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i haven't checked but i think the devuan folks hate rust too because the compiler doesn't support m68k or alpha or something, but also because they're far-right fascists and rust is woke

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

shackleford posted:

rust is woke

I thought wtf are you talking about but I just searched it now and yes you are right. It's a bunch of results about people asking if rust is woke and why they stopped using rust because of its wokeness. What the hell is going on? When did this happen?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk if that was the start, but rust was really high-profile about a proper and thorough code of conduct, and the community has as far as i can tell been greatly improved by it.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lmao what is going on with google's semantic searching. this is on the first page of results for me

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, I noticed that recently too.

Googling for "C++ async runtime" decides that JavaScript is semantically equivalent to C++

there was a period of time a decade ago where the spelling autocorrection was based purely on a popularity contest and the results were worthless, but at least you could click the helpful "no I meant what I typed you idiots" link, but the modern ML semantic equivalency thing its doing is a trashfire

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 12, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

shackleford posted:

lmao what is going on with google's semantic searching. this is on the first page of results for me

im crying at every part of this lmfaaaao

mystes
May 31, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

I thought wtf are you talking about but I just searched it now and yes you are right. It's a bunch of results about people asking if rust is woke and why they stopped using rust because of its wokeness. What the hell is going on? When did this happen?
As best as I can tell, because rust has a decent code of conduct, it has attracted a larger than average number of vocally LGBTQ people, and as a result a small number of crazy people on HN are extremely triggered by it and keep trying to prove that rust is woke and evil

E.g. there was that thing 6 months ago or whenever where they* invited someone working on a garbage collector or something as the keynote speaker and then uninvited him, which was really dumb, but there were a bunch of people on HN who were determined to spin this into some story where the guy was only invited because he was a minority and this just shows why it's bad to do things like that, or something, which was 100% not what actually happened

*: I think there are also two rust organizations and one is dumber and this was done by the dumber one or something but I can't remember the details and I don't feel like looking into it

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 12, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

shackleford posted:

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lady Dracula posted:

im crying at every part of this lmfaaaao

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

google search is a goddamn trash fire

I added those quotation marks for a reason!

Bing and duckduckgo aren’t any better though.

I hate how I still have to refine my search query engineering in tyool 2023 because google always assumes it knows what you really want which is not what was asked.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

you keep saying that but I've seen no evidence that systemd doesn't store its configuration as text files in /etc like everything else in linux/unix/miscellaneous unix-likes

edit "systemd registry hive" only comes up with windows 2000 stuff from 20 years ago because apparently windows 2000 had something called systemd
You're right, I was thinking of the logging format, which is binary, because gently caress being able to parse logs via the usual set of tools everyone's familiar with.

I didn't know the thing about Win2k, but that's pretty funny given that Lennart now works at Microsoft.

pseudorandom name posted:

y'all really need to add the gimmick troll account to your ignore list
Have you tried not being mad for several years? It can't be good for your health.

shackleford posted:

the systemd configuration syntax is based on microsoft .ini files which iirc is one of the reasons the devuan and "veteran unix admins" sickos hate systemd, because they also hate microsoft of course
They could've switched to UCL at any point, though.

Just because Microsoft does it, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

mystes posted:

As best as I can tell, because rust has a decent code of conduct, it has attracted a larger than average number of vocally LGBTQ people, and as a result a small number of crazy people on HN are extremely triggered by it and keep trying to prove that rust is woke and evil

E.g. there was that thing 6 months ago or whenever where they* invited someone working on a garbage collector or something as the keynote speaker and then uninvited him, which was really dumb, but there were a bunch of people on HN who were determined to spin this into some story where the guy was only invited because he was a minority and this just shows why it's bad to do things like that, or something, which was 100% not what actually happened

*: I think there are also two rust organizations and one is dumber and this was done by the dumber one or something but I can't remember the details and I don't feel like looking into it
Maybe teaching sand to do maths was fine - maybe the problem is the people?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that's the point, right? we corrupted sand by making it more like us

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sb hermit posted:

is cron invoking logrotate hourly

yeah

i think i just botched the logrotate config for rsyslogd and also didn’t catch that delaycompress was on so i needed two cycles to start adjusting the disk space usage meaningfully

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

also yeah it was a systemd timer, that part started working first

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ini-style config files are absolutely everywhere and it's not why systemd (the project) sucks. Systemd the init system is good, journald is okay but I wish it would use a less easily corruptible log format. Having hard dependencies on systemd loving sucks (looking at you, logind)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the systemd cli is impressive in that it’s almost as bad as the git cli, despite having almost nothing in common with it

engineers who design user interfaces should be put on trial in the hague

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as it sprawls it is indeed a bit notable that it takes such a low-level approach. i.e. a lot of very raw, rigid, and not-as-loosely-as-is-possible coupled c to write a distributed set of services which for the most part are not at all performance-constrained, mostly implementing a bunch of state machine behaviors, communication, and information parsing.

i can't bring myself to *care* as i don't have to work on it, but for a thing built mostly in the last decade it is not very ambitious on technology.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

the systemd cli is impressive in that it’s almost as bad as the git cli, despite having almost nothing in common with it

engineers who design user interfaces should be put on trial in the hague

systemd-triald —hague

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
typing “Y” so fast at the “execute?” prompt

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

gave your mom the systemd last night

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Captain Foo posted:

systemd-triald —hague

it would be trialctl jeez systemd-triald is the daemon not the cli shell

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1041731

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've been using an external dvd drive on my linux desktop (lmao).

somehow i think debian got poo poo confused and now refuses to auto-mount my external hard drives. it just pops up with some cryptic error message (monitor not supported) in the logs and then does nothing.

anyway, just wanted to drive-by complain about my problems

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

Incidentally, I realize belatedly that in writing this I'm implying that correct typography in PDF output is without value. I don't mean to imply that.

Lmao, but also, as someone who has worked in DTP and maintains documentation including manpages, I feel for everyone involved in that bug report.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Eeyo posted:

I've been using an external DVD drive on my linux desktop (lmao).

Somehow I think Debian got poo poo confused and now refuses to auto-mount my external hard drives. it just pops up with some cryptic error message (monitor not supported) in the logs and then does nothing.

anyway, I just wanted to drive by complain about my problems

This is one of the many reasons why you should use Fedora OP.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hold on.

That BR posted:

Stick around, and I'll share the secret legacy of the hated IA-64...

You can't drop that into a discussion and not deliver. :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is sad that the era of hilariously complex terminal features is long past, because the correct fix for that debian bug is obviously that terminals/shells should have complete typesetting themselves in 2023, making the incorrect choice obvious, and workarounds trivial. can't even draw a line properly anymore smdh

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Lmao, but also, as someone who has worked in DTP and maintains documentation including manpages, I feel for everyone involved in that bug report.

I don't, roff is an entirely obsolete format that is kept limping along purely because of its uses in man pages, nobody writes it directly, it is always generated from some better tool, and nobody prints anything anymore, especially not roff. They should acknowledge and adapt to their only customer use case, but they're a bunch of old men puttering around in their home offices, completely detached from reality.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pseudorandom name posted:

old[s] puttering around in their home offices, completely detached from reality.

i… isn't that yospos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its definitely my goofy rear end