Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AOC Q27G3XMN, the 27" 180hz 1440p VA monitor with a 336-zone backlight, is down to $279. Still no reviews for this other than that chinese video review I posted upthread a bit. But also still a very low price for the specs.

I've got it and its been alright. its bright as hell ftw. dimming seems fine, but coming from a 10 y/o monitor i doubt I'm a great judge of noticing anything. I yelled at amazon to give me that 30 dollar difference lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DrDork posted:

I've got one of the 34" OLEDs rather than this one, but the text issue is pretty similar: while some people don't notice it, I frankly can't see how, unless they've never used any other modern display.

Text is fuzzy, full stop. It's not so bad as to be unusable, but it's enough that I ended up keeping a plain IPS around for more office-centric work because the text is simply easier on the eyes to read if you're doing it for any extended period of time and not scaling things to like 150% or whatever.

OLEDs are amazing for games, and they're fine for light mixed media like dicking around on dead internet forums, but if you're gonna be staring at Word or VSCode or something for 8hrs a day, I'd let them bake another year or two (or however long it takes someone to put a panel out without an asinine subpixel layout).

Isn't the problem not that monitors exist with RGBW subpixel layouts, but that Windows doesn't know how to render to them properly? Theoretically that could be fixed at any time with a software patch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't the problem not that monitors exist with RGBW subpixel layouts, but that Windows doesn't know how to render to them properly? Theoretically that could be fixed at any time with a software patch.

Microsoft doesn't care anymore.

The last Cleartype patent expired in 2019, they don't have a business reason to flog it as a feature.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
More importantly, the future is high DPI and the various hassles of subpixel antialiasing just aren't worth it as DPI goes up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ive banged this drum before but microsoft no longer supports cleartype at all in their newer GUI frameworks, they consider it a legacy feature deprecated by high DPI displays

e;fb

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
which is stupid as gently caress, because 4k displays on mobile are a waste of battery life.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
And, more to the point, the vast, vast majority of displays being sold today are not "High DPI 4k+" screens, so Microsoft seems to be at least 5 years ahead of reality on that particular decision. But hey, I guess that's dev time they can reassign to shoving more adds in your Start menu?

I mean, yeah, in some future world where an 8k screen is a sensible option, having hosed up pentile bullshit special snowflake subpixel layouts won't matter.

But in today's world doing anything other than standard RGB layouts means your text rendering is gonna get hosed up. Presumably the panel manufacturer is doing it that way because they can't do standard RGB layouts for whatever reason, and just figure that people are buying them for games and movies, rather than for text or office work.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is it normal for HDR to go wonky when exiting a HDR game in Windows? I've noticed that the screen gets dimmer and I'll have to turn the HDR windows setting off and on. Not always but enough to be annoying

On the alienware qd-oled

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

shrike82 posted:

Is it normal for HDR to go wonky when exiting a HDR game in Windows? I've noticed that the screen gets dimmer and I'll have to turn the HDR windows setting off and on. Not always but enough to be annoying

On the alienware qd-oled

On Windows 11 there is a separate SDR setting that handles this for you. Allowing you to set separate brightness settings when it detects SDR vs HDR.
It has never screwed up so I’m guessing you are in Windows 10.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 16, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I bought the china panel. Gonna replace one of the two monitors on my home setup and take the excess monitor to put at my work office

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp screen came in shattered badly, dont know if I should order another one

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone have any links/resources for stuff to do/test on a new monitor?

Just took delivery and other than UFO test I'm thinking about stuff like sample HDR/4k content and anything I need to bear in mind to make sure DP 2.1 is working correctly etc.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i need to have some work done around my house, and i don't have the cover bags that came with my tv and monitors. i don't live in na, so i can't just order stuff off amazon or whatever, but if it were you in this situation, what would you try to put around them as i move them around a bit? it's mostly to ward off dust and other particles, but i just want to make sure i don't risk scratching the panels obviously

Jack the Lad posted:

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone have any links/resources for stuff to do/test on a new monitor?

Just took delivery and other than UFO test I'm thinking about stuff like sample HDR/4k content and anything I need to bear in mind to make sure DP 2.1 is working correctly etc.
lagom for lcd is decent: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Acer Nitro XV272U RV (which seems to be the Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx but with an anti-glare and anti-reflective coating added) is down to $230 at Amazon and Newegg today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5NBZL5M?th=1

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

kliras posted:

i need to have some work done around my house, and i don't have the cover bags that came with my tv and monitors. i don't live in na, so i can't just order stuff off amazon or whatever, but if it were you in this situation, what would you try to put around them as i move them around a bit? it's mostly to ward off dust and other particles, but i just want to make sure i don't risk scratching the panels obviously

lagom for lcd is decent: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Sometimes I just put a bath towel over a monitor to protect the screen while I move it. I've taken them for car trips facing the rear seat back and buckled in that way since towels are big and you end up with multiple layers covering the screen. In your house I'd probably still consider that or anything light cloth you can kind of drape over them. Sheets or a pillow case might be fine too if they'll stay put.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Am I missing something if turning HDR on in windows 10 makes both "normal" (e.g. browser, discord) and HDR content look dimmer/worse?

(e.g. this sample video from LG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njX2bu-_Vw4)

Looking at https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/cooler-master/tempest-gp27u they measure the "real scene" brightness as 634 cd/m² for SDR and 1,127 cd/m² for HDR but turning HDR on makes everything significantly dimmer fpr me.

I'm guessing maybe the HDR stuff on YouTube isn't actually carrying whatever additional brightness-related metadata HDR content streams are supposed to, but I'm a bit confused.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Go into the HDR settings in windows, and while at LG HDR video is playing, change the "SDR content brightness" slider. You may have to click back on the browser playing the video for the settings change to take. If the video's brightness changes, that means it's being treated as SDR content by windows. If the video's brightness doesn't change, then it's proper HDR. I've run into a bug with the newest chrome versions where streamed HDR video is no longer recognized as HDR by Windows, even when the video source says it's playing back HDR content. I have not been able to find a fix for this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You also have to go into NVidia Control Panel and set contrast to 100%, if you want desktop black to actually be black:

After that you can also download and run Windows HDR Calibration app to set your black and max nits, but do the NVidia thing first: https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/windows-hdr-calibration/9N7F2SM5D1LR

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

You also have to go into NVidia Control Panel and set contrast to 100%, if you want desktop black to actually be black:

That is not universally applicable advice, and i haven't actually found a monitor where messing with the contrast setting at all doesn't adversely affect picture quality.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

That is not universally applicable advice, and i haven't actually found a monitor where messing with the contrast setting at all doesn't adversely affect picture quality.

If I set it back to default the black and white both go to some hazy grey mush that looks like IPS backlight bleed when this is a mini-LED. If I set the contrast to default and go back to SDR then it is fine. Windows 11 HDR tonemapping or whatever is a shitshow.

To at least try what I said first should be universally applicable advice, because every other piece of advice on the internet about it is LIES

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

HDR is a mess on windows, c/d?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The original question was about brightness instead of contrast. I would only really tinker with that stuff if you notice a problem with your black levels. 100% is almost certainly too heavy-handed though and will crush shadow detail on just about every monitor, unless its factory calibration is truly hosed.

Another thing to keep in mind about HDR content brightness is that many of the editors doing color grading for TV and movies prefer a fairly dim average picture level for most scenes. It could be that if you're cranking the brightness while in SDR, whatever movies or shows you're watching will appear dimmer in HDR because that's the level it's graded to. A monitor that can do 1000 nits won't necessarily be brighter than one that can do up to 600 nits only in most content because your display will be attempting to reproduce the intended brightness levels according to the HDR metadata either way, and if that metadata says a scene should be dim, then dim it will be. That said, demo videos like that LG one tend to have really bright highlights to dazzle viewers, so if those are dull too, then something could be wrong.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Go into the HDR settings in windows, and while at LG HDR video is playing, change the "SDR content brightness" slider. You may have to click back on the browser playing the video for the settings change to take. If the video's brightness changes, that means it's being treated as SDR content by windows. If the video's brightness doesn't change, then it's proper HDR. I've run into a bug with the newest chrome versions where streamed HDR video is no longer recognized as HDR by Windows, even when the video source says it's playing back HDR content. I have not been able to find a fix for this.

Is this the "HDR/SDR brightness balance" setting? I don't have a specific SDR content brightness slider, but changing this one does make the video dimmer/brighter while HDR is enabled.

Is there a better way of testing this?

The original question was about brightness instead of contrast. I would only really tinker with that stuff if you notice a problem with your black levels. 100% is almost certainly too heavy-handed though and will crush shadow detail on just about every monitor, unless its factory calibration is truly hosed.

Another thing to keep in mind about HDR content brightness is that many of the editors doing color grading for TV and movies prefer a fairly dim average picture level for most scenes. It could be that if you're cranking the brightness while in SDR, whatever movies or shows you're watching will appear dimmer in HDR because that's the level it's graded to. A monitor that can do 1000 nits won't necessarily be brighter than one that can do up to 600 nits only in most content because your display will be attempting to reproduce the intended brightness levels according to the HDR metadata either way, and if that metadata says a scene should be dim, then dim it will be. That said, demo videos like that LG one tend to have really bright highlights to dazzle viewers, so if those are dull too, then something could be wrong.

Yeah, my concern is specifically that turning HDR on reduces the brightness of the demo video.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Is this the "HDR/SDR brightness balance" setting? I don't have a specific SDR content brightness slider, but changing this one does make the video dimmer/brighter while HDR is enabled.

Is there a better way of testing this?

Yeah, my concern is specifically that turning HDR on reduces the brightness of the demo video.

Oh, sorry, SDR/HDR brightness balance is what that slider is called in Windows 10. As far as I'm aware, changing that slider should not impact the brightness of HDR content. So if youtube's HDR video playback is affected by it, then I think something is wrong?

Does it say "HDR" over the options cog in Youtube when you play an HDR video? And are you using a chromium browser or Firefox? Firefox doesn't support HDR in windows still. I don't believe Discord does either, so nothing embedded in discord will display in HDR.

edit: about that brightness balance slider, microsoft has this to say in a devblog about it: "If you have an external HDR display, this setting will change the brightness of SDR content relative to HDR content (it has no effect on HDR content)." So if that slider is affecting the brightness of a video, that means that windows sees it as SDR. This isn't useful for fixing the problem though, only for identifying that something is wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Wibla posted:

HDR is a mess on windows, c/d?
even consoles require some calibration for setting up, but windows definitely makes it more complicated. a lot of it is also down to how much monitors vary in brightness and colour representation, on top of the 10bit hdr vs 8bit frc

even sdr is a mess on windows lol

hdrtray is a really nice tool to switch back and forth and to see which mode is currently enabled

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm looking at upgrading my video card from a 2080 to a 4070, and I think I also want a better monitor than my old Acer XB271HU. The black details and IPS glow are some of the things I want to get rid of. I would like to get as close to OLED details as possible (I know, I know....), so I was thinking of grabbing the AOCQ27G3XMN since it has a VA panel with better contrast and a local dimming layer to hopefully get way better blacks in games/movies.

My main concern is about the constant complaining I hear from people saying that VA will inherently have slower response time and ghosting. I know this is due to VA being technologically different than IPS, but how much am I really going to notice? Is it just nerds debating on whether you can physically tell the difference between 6ms and 8ms?

There's also the Cooler Master GP27Q, which has all the same features + it's an IPS, but I don't know if I want to drop over $500 on a 1440p monitor, especially when I will probably be upgrading my whole PC in 3 years.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My impression from looking at too many monitor reviews is that if you're going to buy a VA panel, it had better be a Samsung if you want to avoid nasty black smearing. Even then, you still have poor viewing angles to deal with.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Oh, sorry, SDR/HDR brightness balance is what that slider is called in Windows 10. As far as I'm aware, changing that slider should not impact the brightness of HDR content. So if youtube's HDR video playback is affected by it, then I think something is wrong?

Does it say "HDR" over the options cog in Youtube when you play an HDR video? And are you using a chromium browser or Firefox? Firefox doesn't support HDR in windows still. I don't believe Discord does either, so nothing embedded in discord will display in HDR.

edit: about that brightness balance slider, microsoft has this to say in a devblog about it: "If you have an external HDR display, this setting will change the brightness of SDR content relative to HDR content (it has no effect on HDR content)." So if that slider is affecting the brightness of a video, that means that windows sees it as SDR. This isn't useful for fixing the problem though, only for identifying that something is wrong.

I was using Firefox and when I swap to Chrome the slider no longer changes the brightness of the demo video, which is good - but it's still dimmer with HDR on than with HDR off, so I'm now extra confused.

Aha, okay. There's a whole separate quality setting to enable HDR that only appears if you open the source browser with HDR already enabled:

HDR now looks great, but non-HDR stuff still looks awful with HDR enabled. Ideally it would enable itself for HDR content, or at least indicate "hey, you could turn on HDR here". Are there any apps/utilities/settings for that? At the moment it's a whole big 10+ second process where both my monitors go on/off with the "connected new hardware" sound, windows minimise or move between them etc.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 20, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah the SDR content on the monitor doesnt look good but games look great.

And yeah I got the chinese screen and setting it up im like "Why does everything look so drab on the monitor" until I turned on genshin and proceeded to get my eyes melted at the loading screen with how bright the monitor got. Have to go through each game to fix the brightness. Had to up the saturation a tiny bit up using the windows calibration

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shard posted:

What's the best monitor out there for playing games on computer? I'm planning to get a new computer with at least a 4080.

I have this question except I have an RTX4070 and will also be using the monitor for wfh and definitely don't want to deal with burn-in, which as far as I can tell rules out OLED. Thanks in advance.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Helter Skelter posted:

My impression from looking at too many monitor reviews is that if you're going to buy a VA panel, it had better be a Samsung if you want to avoid nasty black smearing. Even then, you still have poor viewing angles to deal with.

Yeah, the VA stuff makes me worry. I may have to bite the bullet and get that Cooler Master IPS.

A monitor made by Cooler Master.....good lord.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
OLED is the way to go if you already have the hankering for it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

which is stupid as gently caress, because 4k displays on mobile are a waste of battery life.

Sony would disagree. Not for any actually good reason, but just because they can, and it lets me brag that my cell phone has a 4K screen :smuggo:

Orange Devil posted:

I have this question except I have an RTX4070 and will also be using the monitor for wfh and definitely don't want to deal with burn-in, which as far as I can tell rules out OLED. Thanks in advance.

FWIW I got the 45" LG OLED back in April and despite putting over 800 hours of use on it there have been no signs of burn-in that I can see. I do have it set to enter sleep mode after 3 minutes of inactivity (unless video is playing), so that along with whatever other mitigations LG has in place seem to be doing their jobs. I have a colorful wallpaper and don't hide the Windows taskbar, and nothing shows up in other programs or games that go full screen. Undoubtedly it will eventually become an issue due to the nature of OLED, but it's been fantastic thus far. That said, if you're going to have a mostly static desktop for hours at a time where the screen won't be allowed to go to sleep or do its regular pixel/display refreshing then I agree that OLED is absolutely not what you want.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Branch Nvidian posted:

Sony would disagree. Not for any actually good reason, but just because they can, and it lets me brag that my cell phone has a 4K screen :smuggo:

Sony are also the dumbasses that can't seem to engineer a cooling solution for the Xperias that doesn't result in the phones overheating if you keep the camera app open for longer than a single snapshot.

I love the design and featureset dearly, but I already have problems with other, non-Sony phones overheating while sitting in the dashboard cradle in the middle of summer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Samsung doesn't make their own VA panels anymore, and they sold all of their LCD tech and production facilities to TCL CSOT. CSOT has started selling these panels to other companies now, though it's not clear how much of the tech Samsung developed is being used in their newer panels. The AOC monitor the OP mentioned actually has a CSOT VA panel that seems to have decent response times and not nearly as much black smearing as most other VA panels, though it doesn't seem as good as the panels Samsung use. CSOT has been trying to gain a foothold lately by undercutting other manufacturers of miniLED-backlit panels, so most of the really cheap VA miniLED panels we've been seeing over the last several months are theirs, and they're not terrible, though apparently some have issues with VRR flickering.

Incidentally, TCL bought production rights to JOLED's inkjet-printed OLED panels for CSOT, so if they ever actually figure out how to produce those with decent yields, then we might see the same play there, with CSOT undercutting LG and Samsung. But JOLED literally went bankrupt before they could make that process financially viable, so... my hopes aren't high there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 21, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://wccftech.com/alienware-32-4k-240hz-27-qhd-360hz-qd-oled-gaming-monitors-early-2024-launch/

The 4K model being curved is bound to annoy some, but after using the Neo G7 for 18 months, I'm used to it. I'm strongly considering getting one of these, even though I told myself I'd hold off for a model using phosphorescent blue OLED. The three-year burn-in warranty makes it too tempting.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I bought a Cooler Master Tempest GP27U and a LG 27GR95QE-B and ended up sending back the LG and keeping the GP27U.

They were close to identical for HDR content when I had them side by side, with the OLED LG as expected having slightly better blacks, but the local dimming on the GP27U seems very good for blacks and the difference was smaller than I expected.

In SDR content though the LG was significantly dimmer and less vibrant, and the (very slight) fuzziness of text on it was annoying considering I'll also be using this display for work.

I can definitely see the potential of OLED and I'm hype to see new displays come out which eliminate the tradeoffs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

https://wccftech.com/alienware-32-4k-240hz-27-qhd-360hz-qd-oled-gaming-monitors-early-2024-launch/

The 4K model being curved is bound to annoy some, but after using the Neo G7 for 18 months, I'm used to it. I'm strongly considering getting one of these, even though I told myself I'd hold off for a model using phosphorescent blue OLED. The three-year burn-in warranty makes it too tempting.

Depending on the price, I might take a look at that 4K 32" too. In general I've been "happy" with the Neo G7, but I've had a hard time calibrating the color to be closer to the IPS monitor next to it, and it just has gotten to me more and more over the last few months to where I might just sell it off and swap to this new Alienware if the reviews are good.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
gently caress me. That 32" 4k QD-OLED is going to be pricey and I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Another year, another bunch of assholes who can't make a reasonable-size 4K OLED. The 27" monitor is 2560x1440